Start by marking “Otherwise Engaged” as Want to Read:

Otherwise Engaged

(Ladies of Lantern Street #3)

Miss Amity Doncaster, world traveler, is accustomed to adventure and risk. Benedict Stanbridge, a man of science and a spy for the Crown, has faced danger in the darker corners of foreign lands. But they are about to face a threat that is shockingly close to home . . .

One does not expect to be kidnapped on a London street in broad daylight. But Amity Doncaster barely esca
Hardcover, 1st Printing, 352 pages
Published April 22nd 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Otherwise Engaged, please sign up.
Konstantin I think most of Jayne Ann Krentz's characters are just like Amity.
I think most of Jayne Ann Krentz's characters are just like Amity.
None of them is actually standing up, they're utterly boring and never show something that actually defines them.
Amity is kind of 'silly' strong person, definitely not having a really strong character. I found the part in which she fights with the murderer hilarious.
And no, I don't think Jayne should ever carry any of her feminine characters into another novel, because then I would have been seriously worried for her sake.
But that's up on her to decide.(less)
Nonnie Reads Most of her books are stand alone but there are books where the couple are carried over. Many of the characters show up in other books in trilogy and …moreMost of her books are stand alone but there are books where the couple are carried over. Many of the characters show up in other books in trilogy and short series .. Vanza, Lake and March, Arcane series to mention just two. Many of her characters are related in some way and they reappear in subsequent books.

Otherwise Engaged is a stand alone book.(less)

Start your review of Otherwise Engaged
Desi
Mar 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Unlike the author's long winded style, I can sum up what is wrong with this book in two words ... Endless repetition. It could have been cut down significantly for greater readability.

Saying "As I said", or "as I mentioned before" does not (I repeat, does not, lol) give a character license to repeat things.

For example, often characters would mention, over and over again how very well connected with the Polite world they or their families were. In every single chapter. In the midst of the book'
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I listened to this on audio, and I enjoyed it. I didn't get quite as into this as other reads by this author on audio. I felt that the romance wasn't as well-developed. It seemed almost arbitrary, whereas the mystery was much stronger. The Bridegroom storyline was dark and twisted, and well-thought out. The Bridegroom was one creepy piece of work.

One thing I really liked was that Benedict felt awkward about himself as a romantic prospect. He felt that he might be too boring for a woman to want
Stacey is Sassy
Another great murder/mystery

I'm a fan of listening to Amanda Quick's murder/mysteries. The characters are engaging, the storyline keeps me riveted from start to finish and the love story has depth and believability. Otherwise Engaged did have a very modern feel to it, with a heroine who is independent, strong and very savvy.

The narrator does a great job portraying all of the characters and I never struggled to tell when a character changed.

I will definitely be back for more from this author and
mina
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
↠2-

This was a cringefest.

I honestly don’t remember ever reading and despising an Amanda Quick book. A good part of the book was spent by me cringing and rolling my eyes because things went over the top with unbelievable.

The plot was all over the place, the writing repetitive and the characters so unbelievably idiotic.
Book Wonderland
The Bridegroom's idea was great, I liked the originality in the killer's character and the way he kills.
Erin Burns
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
The first thing to know about this book is that despite how many lists have it as part of the Lantern Street series, this is a standalone with absolutely no paranormal element. And it was nice to go back a more traditional historical story.

Amity Doncaster is a globe trotting adventuress who is writing a lady's travel book and has learned a variety of useful skills. During her time on one island she finds a man shot in an alley. He asks her a favor of getting a letter to his Uncle in London. Whil
Robin (Bridge Four)
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cotton-candy, sexy
3.5 Stars

“I think that you are the kind of woman who is able to cope with unforeseen circumstances.”

This is my first Amanda Quick novel but it probably will not be my last. I liked the writing style and the blend of the romance and mystery enough of both but not too much of either. My normal issue with some Historical Romance/Fiction is that most of the angst is in the non-communication of feeling due to the stringent speak and properness of the culture of the time. It becomes incredibly fru
wsuds
Apr 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
it pains me to say this because Amanda Quick is one of my favourite authors but everything about this book is just so lukewarm
Elis Madison
When I saw this on the bookstore shelf, I got excited. I usually favor stories that date prior to the Georgian era, since books from the later periods are, IMO, over-represented in historical romance.

Seriously.

But I have a weakness for Victorian/Edwardian romantic thrillers. Otherwise Engaged pits intrepid travel writer Amity Doncaster and amateur spy Benedict Stanbridge against deadly Russian spies, AND a serial killer known as the Bridegroom. Toss in a pool of excellent suspects, add in some
CatBookMom
2018 - Our Heroine is a travel writer, for women, in the days of cross-the-US trains and horse-drawn carriages. Late 1800s, therefore, we can guess. She meets Our Hero when she finds him shot and bleeding in an alley in a Caribbean island and sews him up, saving his life (her father was a doctor). She has a fascinating weapon, a Japanese war fan, called a *tessen* (http://www.historyrundown.com/4-stran...), which she uses to save herself from a serial killer.

2015 - This started out pretty well,
Juliana Philippa
3.75
Couldn't decide between 3.5 and 4 stars. The plot is interesting and there are actually two mysteries going along side-by-side. As with most of Quick's books that have an underlying mystery, it's quite compelling and in this instance very morbid—reminded me a bit of her book, 'Til Death Do Us Part .

Amity and Benedict are a great leading couple and have the similar dynamic that Quick's couples normally do. Her heroines always have a lot of gumption and I love that; these women are smart an
Niquie
DNF: page 177

I feel bad not finishing this book but when I realized I was only only reading this to finish it, that I wasn't enjoying myself at all, I knew I had to stop.

Otherwise Engaged is a predictable novel, if you've read JAK before then you already read this book. Even the characters are typical JAK, nothing new there. Usually that doesn't bother me, but this time it felt like there was too much going on. There was a russian spy, a serial killer, a american investigator, an abused spouse,
Susan
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable. Good story line with enough mystery and romance to keep me reading. The heroine, Amity, is a very modern free thinking woman in London. She also travels the world and is writing a book for 'globetrotting' women. While on a Caribbean island she comes upon a man who has been shot and ends up stitching him up and saving his life.
They travel by ship to New York, then he continues on to California while she returns to London.
When they are reunited a few weeks later, they are thr
Caz
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B at AAR, so 4 stars.

For some reason, although I’ve listened to a number of Amanda Quick’s books in audio format, I’ve never actually read one, so I decided to rectify that situation by reading the author’s latest release. Otherwise Engaged is an enjoyable romantic mystery which displays many of Ms Quick’s hallmarks – an adventurous and independently-minded heroine, a highly intelligent, slightly quirky hero, romance, danger, and an intriguing mystery.

Miss Amity Doncaster is a
Nicole P
Very rare for me to read a historical romance and I know why. They kill me! Slow and agonizing with the repetition and lack of communication. So this was okay for me - nothing memorable or inspiring.
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz) scores again with this entertaining romantic suspense novel set in Victorian-era London. The first scenes are set in the Caribbean, where Amity Doncaster stumbles across a gentleman in an alley, bleeding from a gunshot wound. A doctor's daughter, Amity quickly staunches the wound, summons help, and proceeds to nurse her patient back to health as they sail for New York.

Cut to London, to which Amity has returned after several years away. A soon-to-be-published autho
Minna
First of all, the beginning chapters - probably the first six or seven - were absolutely the most disjointed, jumbled, abrupt chapters of any book I've ever read. Each chapter held a different scene with no lead-in, no introduction, no segue, nothing. One chapter, our dear heroine was on an island. The next, on a boat. The next, in London. I found it a bit confusing, to the point where I kept checking the page numbers because I thought there were missing pages.

Then there were the characters. We
Lauren
4 Stars

When Amity Doncaster saves the life of Benedict Stanbridge, she unwittingly becomes the target of a deranged serial killer known only as The Bridegroom. Narrowly escaping the madman’s clutches, Amity must join forces with Benedict to stop the killer’s reign of terror before he strikes closer to home...

Anyone expecting something innovative and original from JAK is bound to be disappointed as Otherwise Engaged follows the same formula as the majority of her historical roman
Diane ~Firefly~
It is nice to read a non-paranormal romance from Quick for a change. It has all her standard characteristics - original and independent h with limited family and a unusual and steady H that like each other from first meeting.

What I enjoyed:
* Amity could really take care of herself. I really want her fan.
* Benedict(view spoiler)
* Wasn't insta-love as Amity and Benedict had plenty of time to get to know each other during the voyage.
* I
Sabina (Whatsername_reads)
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Story reminds me a little bit of Tess Gerritsen and her The Surgeon because of murderer`s creepy madness. I like Otherwise Engaged more than Quick`s another paranormal series and her female and male characters are strong, independent and intelligent (I absolutely approve that!). ...more
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
As a fan of Ms. Quick’s books (no matter what name she is writing under) I knew what I was getting into when I read her latest book Otherwise Engaged. A lovely romance/ mystery set in the Victorian times in England and one I would enjoy no matter what. I was right and am so happy I read it!

Amity Doncaster is a unique woman for her time. She is a world traveler and on one of her journeys she comes across a man who has been shot and needs help. Since she has had a little medical training due to h
Olga Godim
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Time: Vaguely the middle of the 19th century.

Place: A Caribbean island; London.

Characters: Amity is a world traveler, self-reliant and unflappable. Benedict is an engineer aka part-time spy, grumpy but stalwart. Nothing new here. Every character – the leads and the secondary characters – are average and predictable, two-dimensional.

Plot: Amity meets Benedict during her travels. He is wounded, and she saves his life. Later in London, they thwart a spy plot and find a crazy serial killer who murde
Kathleen
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amanda Quick's books are always a good read. She give you a great mystery, and her heroine is always a strong independent although quirky woman who draws the attention of a man of means, who is handsome and domineering. He always thinks that he is going to be able to keep his head with this quick witted female who knows her own mined.

The danger and intrigue in this book takes us around the world, from a Island in the Caribbean, to New York, California and ultimately to London, where the mystery
fleurette
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
In my opinion, books by Amanda Quick differ a lot in quality. Otherwise Engaged is one of the better ones. It is also a welcome change after a series of her paranormal historical romances, although they are really good.

The strongest point of the novel are the characters. Both Benedict and Amity are likeable, they are also interesting set as a couple. The relationship between them is described in a way that the reader is able to believe in feelings between them, despite the fact that we are deal
Heather Alderman
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book to fulfill one of my reading challenges and ended up enjoying it very much. I will definitely look for more from this author.
Aurian Booklover
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been looking forward to reading a non-paranormal book by Amanda Quick for a while now, and Otherwise Engaged is a good one. It starts out with our heroine, Amity Doncaster, saving the life of the hero, Benedict Stanbridge, in an alley on a tropical island. The intrigue starts immediately when he asks her to deliver a letter to his uncle in London as he is dying … But Amity is not a timid miss, her father was a doctor and he thought her a few things. She patches up his knife wound, and takes ...more
Les Romantiques
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Posted on Les Romantiques - Le forum du site
Reviewed by Fabiola
Review Copy from the Publisher

Otherwise engaged is a stand alone, the first one from the author since several years. The book is not connected to the Arcane Society and doesn’t contain psychic nor paranormal elements.

What I love with Amanda Quick ? Her colorful characters with unusual names (in this book, the heroine’s name is Amity), her fluent and lively style that always makes me read her books in one go, her humour especially du
Elaine
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Not one of Amanda Quick's best I think. It's an entertaining read but the general storyline and characters don't have much in the way of staying power. The characters don't seem as well developed as in some of her older titles. I liked the mystery aspect of it, however, I did not feel the passion I have come to expect from Quick's romance novels. The story and characters are already starting to fade from my mind making room for more interesting stories. There's nothing revolutionary here, but it ...more
Erin
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rubbish, mystery
This book was a hot mess. The plot was so convoluted it made my head spin. At first I was amused by the fast paced drama, but as the book wore on and the plot kept twisting and developing it became clear that there was no way the action would all be resolved in a manner that would be even remotely logical.

However, there were a few things I enjoyed and I wished I had tracked during my reading. Below are a few things you might want to tally if you do venture forth into reading this story:

1. Skirt
Sabrina
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
hhhmmm, well the story-line was fun and fast paced. I like both principal characters along with most of the secondary's. I was excited by the prospect of the 2 mysteries contained in the book, but wasn't too pleased when they came together. The concept was good though the execution not so much.

It really could have been that I listened rather than read the book, but it seemed to straggle along a bit towards disc 7 and I found that the sentence structure was a bit rough . . too many "he said" to
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 11, 2015 12:50PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Otherwise Engaged (2014) 13 32 May 20, 2014 02:12PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add to series 2 18 May 05, 2014 12:30AM

• Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Falling Awake
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2)
  • Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 1)
  • Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Ghost Hunters, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • Lost and Found
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • After Glow (Ghost Hunters, #2)
  • Dawn in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 2)
  • Illusion Town (Ghost Hunters, #13)
  • Grand Passion
  • River Road
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Light in Shadow (Whispering Springs, #1)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni

Ladies of Lantern Street (3 books)
  • Crystal Gardens (Ladies of Lantern Street, #1)
  • The Mystery Woman (Ladies of Lantern Street, #2)