Start by marking “Fiendish” as Want to Read:
Fiendish

Fiendish

Now she’s out and determined to uncover who put her in that cellar and why.

When Clementine was a child, dangerous and inexplicable things started happening in New South Bend. The townsfolk blamed the fiendish people out in the Willows and burned their homes to
Published August 14th 2014 by Razorbill (first published July 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fiendish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiendish

Start your review of Fiendish
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“That boy is the devil.”

“Well, I’m going to kiss him.”

Do you hear that? That sad whispering in the shadows. The sound of silent tears. The quiet wailing of a thousand brokenhearted readers?

That, my friends, is the sound of wasted potential. Because that's what this book was, thanks to the appearance of a motherfucking pussy of a love interest. If you asked me, 30 pages into the book, what my rating for this book would be...without a doubt, I would have given it a solid 4. I mean,how could a
Giselle
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, arc
This was a straaaange book! But most importantly: it's deliciously creepy!

Brenna delights us with some more of her gothic, morbid, yet marvelously fascinating storytelling in her newest release. Fiendish is compelling from the very first chapter. After a quick introduction to Clementine, a slight glimpse of who she was prior, we experience her entrapment inside this cellar, held in place by willow roots, while a decade passes. The cryptic but riveting manner with which the passing of time is
Candace Robinson
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So we begin this lovely tale with a girl being rescued from a cellar. She can't see because her eyes are sewn shut and she's been down there for years! This was awesome!

This is the third book I've read by Yovanoff and I seriously loved it. It was weird yet had contemporary aspects and so the magic realism was so cool! The characters were well developed and the story was driven by these characters in a unique fashion. Fisher was complicated and needed hugs and a reminder that things sometimes
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I'll be frank, I was not impressed by Brenna Yovanoff's latest release, Fiendish.The author definitely has some writing talent--because her writing--particularly the descriptions--were gorgeous, but they did not make up for the cons.

Three Reasons Why Fiendish Didn't Work For Me

1. The storyline bored me to death. Honestly, watching a game of golf would be more interesting than this. At the start of the book, I was really intrigued and curious as to why
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
This book had the potential of being really good but the author didn't live up to the idea. It's better then the last book I read by the author but not by much. I did want to like it more.

So, basically, some girl was bricked up in the cellar of her burned down house and ten years later someone finds her. Apparently, the townies went on a rampage because weird oddities were popping up here and there. So there was the whole 'get the witches!' thing.

I had issues with Clem. She just popped out of
Sana
Ugh DNF at 51%

This book starts out interesting but as it progresses I was starting to lose interest.

-All Clemetine really cared about was Fisher. She would not stop talking about him. She was desperate for him. Ugh I cant even. Even when he told her to go away she would stay and I'm surprised Fisher still wants to kiss her after her annoying ass behaviour.

-Where is the horror? Instead of creepy stuff I'm reading about weird magic crap that is extremely confusing. I honestly didn't even
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cover-lust, 2-star

1.5/5

Meh.

That's the best word I can describe this book with, and it's mostly all I have to say about it. But I can't write a one word review, can I?

First of all, this book was weird. And confusing. There were a lot of WTF moments, and sometimes it didn't make any sense at all. There were a lot of terms that weren't explained, either: downhollow, fiend (which I eventually figured out was basically a demon), crooked (I finally gathered it meant a person who had craft). Then there were the
Angela
2.5 Stars

I'm not a huge fan of creepy, but I was in the mood for it. I wanted something that was going to give me that scared feeling, make me feel a tickle on the back of my neck in the dark, maybe make me wonder about the what ifs. Fiendish started off with such great promise, a girl locked in a cellar for ten years, tangled in roots, eyes sewed shut, and no one seems to remember her when she emerges into the light. I was so sure I'd made a good choice.

And that feeling stuck with me for quite
Crowinator
Brenna Yovanoff writes creepy, ominous paranormal horror with a perfectly ingrained setting better than most YA authors. Best of all, her novels are all STAND ALONE. No trilogies that make you wait years for resolution here. While this doesn't stand up to Paper Valentine for me (my favorite of hers), it's solid and most people who have liked her past books will appreciate it.

Read-alikes: The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab; Chime by Franny Billingsly.
Petra
Magical, creepy, and beautifully written. I liked it a lot.
Albert
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fiendish by Brenna Yovanoff is not your typical young adult fantasy tale. It is dark, brooding, and within its prose lies a deep and sad understanding of society at large. That is probably why I love these stories so much.

Clementine DeVore is a young girl, trapped in a cellar, tied up by roots as the years have passed. She has been down in the cellar of her abandoned home for ten years. Forgotten and deserted. But now she has been found by the only one who can feel her. Fisher can hear the soft
Misty
4.5 Love Brenna's worlds, don't know what took me so long to read (listen) to this one.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

What’s funny about Fiendish is that I was really tempted to DNF after the first chapter. I was confused and it didn’t make any damn sense. Plus, I’ve been DNFing left and right and that’s been working for me. However, I pushed on a couple of chapters and Fiendish got really good. So basically, I am here to tell you that, even if you find the start really puzzling and off-putting, keep going because it will
Erica
Awww, man.
I really really thought this book was going to enchant me. It's got a spooky but intriguing cover, it's a stand-alone, and the synopsis says something about a girl being awoken and brought forth from under a bunch of tree roots. It sounds awesome!

It probably is awesome, just not for me. I'm too old, too cynical, too in need of the bridges that span one moment to the next instead of just wildly jumping from this moment to another.

The tale felt dreamy. I'm sure it's supposed to. But it's
Melanie
I love the cover, it incorporates the plot and characters into it. You can see that the plants on the house represent Fisher's craft and the house represents where Clementine came from.

I honestly didn't like the romance. It was a typical young adult insta-romance. I wish the romance was more developed. Basically Clementine saw Fisher and was all like I'm going to kiss that boy, not even knowing anything about him. Fisher wasn't even a good love choice, at one point during the story he leaves
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I never know what to expect from Brenna Yovanoff. I've read all of Brenna's books and all of them took me by surprise! You can always expect creepy, strange stories from her, but you never quite know what will be in the book!

And creepy and weird this book was.
If that doesn't sound both creepy and weird to you, I don't
Theodora
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I fell headfirst into a sinkhole of pretty things, and the world inside your eyelids is just as big as the one outside.

Clementine DeVore spent ten years of her life trapped in the cellar of her house and pinned down by willow roots, silenced and forgotten. When she was seven years old, the hollow near her house, a place of immense magical power, crawling with fiends and helldogs, started leaking magic into the world in explosive bursts. The people in town blamed the fiendish people living out in
Christine (KizzieReads)
The ending was a little quick, but I really enjoyed this book. It was creepy and perfect reading for October. The characters could have had a little more background and personality, as well as a little more of the previous reckoning, but overall, a really enjoyable read.
Titan
Oct 17, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: covers-i-love
17 Oct. Had me at "Clementine DeVore spent ten years trapped in a cellar, pinned down by willow roots, silenced and forgotten."
katnick
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I won a copy of Fiendish through Goodreads First Reads. I requested it because I like dark YA fantasy and because I previously enjoyed one of Yovanoff's other novels, The Replacement.

In Fiendish, the main character, Clementine, is hidden in a root cellar as a child and rescued as a teenager by Fisher, the town bad boy. Whatever magic was used to seal Clementine away also affects her memory and the memories of everyone else in town. No one seems to remember she ever existed, with the exception of
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
3,5 stars.
I shouldn't have read Places No One Knows first because it's the last book written by Brenna Yovanoff and it's always risky to start with the most achieved one : the previous books might look pale in comparison.
Though you can see she was still developing her writing skills in this one (Places No One Knows being, for me, excellent on the matter of writing), you have here a very good story already imprinted with her touch. That lady definitely knows how to create an ambiance! The story
Ashley
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5

This was super, super strange. Very weird, but I was interested in it. I don't really know how I feel about the main character Clementine. This was just very strange. I don't really know how to feel. I'm definitely going to be reading more from Brenna Yovanoff.
I know a lot of people complained in other reviews about the insta-love, but I wasn't really bothered by it.
I just don't really know how to articulate my feelings regarding this book. This was kind of an
Maria
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Magical but very rough around the edges.

The first half of this book gave me some serious Raven Boys vibes with its strange and slightly creepy magic. I loved it! It felt so strange and unique. However, I did not really like where the story went from there on, most of the characters were very flat and the romance was unnecessary. So three stars.

Even though I think that, with this premise and setting, Fiendish could have been a lot more, it was still entertaining for the moment.
Hannah
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3.25 stars!
Heather A
This is a very strange book. I honestly don't really know if I liked it that much or not. I absolutely loved the writing. I loved the settings and I loved the main character.

I love small town books, especially small towns with a darker side, and this town's darker side was stepped in dark magic and the families who lived there. Their interaction with the regular townspeople, while could be viewed as irritating and disturbing, was also quite fascinating.

There was just something about it that
Mimi Zane
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
***I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review***

Trapped in a cellar from a powerful spell, Clementine DeVore was found by a boy named Fisher. Ten years prior in New South Bend, strange and different things began to happen. The towns people became worried and burned Clementine's house down. All grown up now with no memory of the past years, Clementine begins her journey to find out the truth.

I was ecstatic to finally have won a young adult (YA) book from Penguin's
Karen
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-school, horror, 2014
"Its skin was a slick, awful green - an impossible green - with slimy whiskers and dull, milky eyes." That's every catfish ever, but can't you see it? And then there's the next heart-stopping paragraph that springs the characters into action, frantically digging a hole to bury something so unnaturally wrong.

Yovanoff is the type of storyteller I dreamed of one day becoming when I used to skip recess to write my own creepy stories. Descriptions so real, here's another:
"It was jewel-blue with a
I am Bastet
Took me a while after finishing to figure out why I only felt meh about this book, when I've loved other things Yovanoff has written.

Here it is:

I think Shiny should have been the protagonist. Clementine was a little too blase about things, and I didn't ever feel like I knew her. I definitely didn't get why she did half the things she did, and did not understand why she wasn't more freaked out about being buried alive with her eyes sewn shut for ten years. I felt like I knew more of Shiny's
Katherine Harbour
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The setting for this contemporary dark fantasy is a vividly realized magic realism version of the Ozarks. Clementine falls asleep as a child, only to wake up years later in a cellar closet, tangled in roots. She is rescued by Fisher, a young man with secrets of his own. Clementine reconnects with her wary aunt and glamorous cousin Shiny, and learns that magic has gone haywire in the town. The townspeople fixed it by burning the homes of the old families believed to practice it. Meanwhile, ...more

• The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)
  • Shutter
  • The Fall
  • Cadaver & Queen (Cadaver & Queen, #1)
  • Corpse & Crown (Cadaver & Queen #2)
  • Goodnight, Numbers
  • Impossible (Impossible, #1)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • Welcome to the Dark House (Dark House, #1)
  • Mad Magic
  • Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
  • The Deathless Girls
  • Between the Spark and the Burn (Between, #2)
  • The Ghost Who Wasn't (Haunting Danielle, #3)
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)
  • The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)
  • And the Trees Crept In
  • The Ghost Who Wanted Revenge (Haunting Danielle, #4)
“The things I had were mine and some of them were broken, but they were real. They were so very far from nothing.” 8 likes
“Sometimes it doesn't matter how dark the world gets. You can be saved by the smallest thing.” 8 likes