Start by marking “#Girlboss” as Want to Read:
#Girlboss

#Girlboss

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  65,154 ratings  ·  4,133 reviews
In the New York Times bestseller that the Washington Post called “Lean In for misfits,” Sophia Amoruso shares how she went from dumpster diving to founding one of the fastest-growing retailers in the world.

Amoruso spent her teens hitchhiking, committing petty theft, and scrounging in dumpsters for leftover bagels. By age twenty-two she had dropped out of school, and was br
Published May 6th 2014 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about #Girlboss, please sign up.
Katherine I have the ebook, you won't miss much for the pictures.. However, they are just a nice little 'girly touch' if you are into that.. It's the content th…moreI have the ebook, you won't miss much for the pictures.. However, they are just a nice little 'girly touch' if you are into that.. It's the content that's more valuable in this book. There are no more than 10 pictures max (+-)(less)
Adam Here's the promotional page that references the free audiobook.
…more
Here's the promotional page that references the free audiobook.
(less)

·  65,154 ratings  ·  4,133 reviews

Start your review of #Girlboss
Kimiko
May 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
I had such high hopes for this book, but it turns out that now I’ll be writing one of my only truly negative reviews on Goodreads…

Sophia Amoruso has surely accomplished a lot with Nasty Gal, and I respect her work ethic and ability to achieve success with rough beginnings and little formal education. However, I expected this book to relate more to those in her generation – instead, she turns out to be yet another naysayer of the Millennial generation, writing them off as lazy and spoiled. For so
Sophie
Jan 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
I put off reading this book for a long time because #GIRLBOSS is the most vomit-inducing book title I can think of and now I have read it I wish I hadn't bothered. #GIRLBOSS is peculiar mix; it's a book that doesn't know whether it wants to be a memoir or if it wants to give business advice. Most of Sophia Amoruso's memories are irrelevant and self-absorbed, with humble brags littering the pages. Sophia constantly reminds readers of the "meteoric rise of Nasty Girl" and how her "own prof ...more
Renee
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having been Nasty Gal's first intern during the early days in Berkeley when it was just Sophia and Christina (the first full-time employee who is now Buying Director), my rating may be a little biased so feel free to take everything from this point forward with a grain of salt.

I won't bother with a short summary as this book has gotten enough press and reviews from readers alike that that just seems redundant. What I will say is that having worked with Sophia firsthand and having accompanied her
 Teodora
I am ALWAYS in the mood for reading some empowering and successful stories about beautifully messed up ladies with a dream and nothing to lose so I will take this as the perfect opportunity to end this decade in style.

I loved the "fuck it, I own this" type of attitude Sophia Amoruso had throughout the whole book and I especially appreciated her honesty and the frankness of her own reality. On some level, she really did inspire me to go for more and start my own prototype of a #GIRLBOSS: myself -
Jenny
Jun 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
I had never even heard of Nasty Gal when I picked this e-book from the library. But the title seemed fun and I always enjoy reading business books - especially ones that tackle the unique issues that face women.

But this? This is not that book.

I'll say this - Sophia has done a great job of getting where she is now. She's obviously creative and obviously hard working. But I don't know who this book is written for. It is mainly biographical which is fine - but then has these #girlboss lessons that
Jessica
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I so wanted this to be good, but after reading the introduction, I knew that I was probably not going to enjoy it. After she addressed the issue of whether or not her book was a feminist manifesto by saying that she believes in "showing up and owning it" not "whining" for equality, I was pretty much soured on everything else she had to say.

But I persevered. And while there were some good parts of the book - she does have some interesting things to say about venture capitalism and hiring and fir
Nat
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
In #GIRLBOSS, Sophia Amoruso recounts her life from stumbling upon her passion of selling vintage clothes online and becoming an unlikely businesswoman to building her retail fashion empire. Along the way, she realizes the value and the difficulty of being the #GIRLBOSS of her own life.

This book started out interesting enough, but it gradually lost its steam in the second half wh
Ami
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
It's overwhelmingly clear from the book that Sophia Amoruso is a hard worker. She's dedicated to her business, she's extremely talented at what she does, and I suspect she'd be pretty fun to attend a party with even thought she would probably make you wear silver leather pants.

That being said, this book just didn't do it for me. Amoruso neglects the more fascinating elements of her story, like the fact that she went from being the "youngest person at a San Francisco Marxist book club" and eatin
Kelsey Searles
Sep 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
From the first page I knew I wasn't going to like this book. ("don't let the man get you! #girlboss!"... gag...)
Beyond it being poorly written (sounds like a teenager's rambling life story), it doesn't have any true focus or offer any innovative or interesting advice. Most of the advice (work hard, don't have typos in your resume, attention to detail) are well known, common, and repeated in countless books, television shows, etc... (and honestly something you'd learn in high school or college,
Heidi The Reader
#GIRLBOSS is Sophia Amoruso's story about her wild childhood, unlikely and extraordinarily successful business venture and her treatise on how to be yourself and bring what is unique to you to your professional life.

I googled Sophia after I finished this book and was dismayed to discover she has declared bankruptcy.

It seems she still has a successful motivational speaker program going on, but, for whatever reason, her business hasn't worked out.

I suspect, she will land on her feet and start agai
Jenna
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought that perhaps I was a freak of nature until I read this book and realized that there is someone out there so much like me! Therefore, I found this read quite inspirational.

Sophia Amoruso started her own business, now worth $100M, from scratch and pocket change. She never knew what she really wanted to do until she found herself caught in the middle of a prospering company, while feeding a hobby that she hoped would keep her from having a job where she had to talk with people. She never
Karina
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, entertaining, sassy, sarcastic, and incredibly smart. Amoruso manages to bring her funny/sarcastic personality onto these pages while seriously teaching about what it means/takes to be a girlboss. I took so much from this book and I have a strong feeling I'll be rereading it once I'm done with university. The balance between the casual narration style and spot on intelligent business/life advice is fantastic. It makes reading it so easy and 100% struck a nerve with me. Pick this up if you ...more
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Ahem... This book was overly flippant on a lot of things. A lot of stuff sounded controversional. Some of it plain stupid. The approach to business felt as in the 'wring-them-and-kick-them-out' attitude. The 'I recognise the crazies during job interviews' approach is, well, irritating. I don't think this gal is a professional psychologist any more than she is a professional businessman or a writer.

The general originality might merit this book 1,5 star. The rest is a very successful exercise in i
Elizabeth Schlatter
Jun 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: finance-business
So I mistakenly thought this was going to be about being a boss. It's really about the author, her life, her mistakes, what she's learned from them, and the meteoric success of her online company, Nasty Gal, which sells clothes. Certainly it's impressive that Amoruso became such a successful entrepreneur, at so young an age (I think she's now 30), and by utilizing social media to not just shape a distinct brand but also to identify, target, and respond to her customers. But the book is mainly AL ...more
Krista Regester
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
#GIRLBOSS follows Sophia Amoruso’s journey through developing a kick-ass, successful business and life. She’s inspiring and definitely offers a lot of sound advice for aspiring “girlbosses”. Considering that this was written in 2014 I would love to read a more updated version. I’m sure a lot has changed for Sophia and her company in the last four years.
Jen
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
1. #GIRLBOSS is written by someone who didn't go to college. Before you back away from this book, hear me out with my nine other reasons.
2. #GIRLBOSS is bad-ass, and inspires me to be a bad-ass myself. One who can conquer ANYTHING.
3. Sophia Amoruso is so hilarious. I ACTUALLY laughed out loud on pretty much every page. In public.
4. #GIRLBOSS gives really great advice on, sure, business and getting jobs, but STREET SMARTS too.
5. #GIRLBOSS really resonated with me in that it makes m
Janelle Zhao
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have tremendous respect for her, for what she stands for, and for what she has built. But this book fell short on delivering something substantial. I realize that this was geared towards teens and adolescence so for them, I highly recommend it. But if you are close to Sophia's age, you might find it a little too preachy...at times, like she refuses to take off her public persona to show a real glimpse of herself. I almost stopped reading the book immediately after the first chapter because of ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
While it was truly interesting to read about the creation of Nasty Gal and Sophia's atypical rise to success, and while I respect and admire anyone who makes something from nothing, gosh I wish she would have been a little bit more humble. And not so in your face with the WORK WORK WORK YOUR ASS OF GIRLBOSS TAKING NO SHIT EAT SLEEP BREATHE WORK HARD WORK. It turns me off and I doubt it's as fun to work with her as she says it is.

I found her "bad girl" years a little too celebrated. She was a pr
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For me, this book was perfect. It had so much to do with confidence, which is what I need right now, so it spoke to me. I know I'll read passages from it many times in the future and I'm so grateful it was given to me. I'd encourage all women to read it!
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
Patronizing.

Summary:

"Look how awesome I am! GIRLBOSS. GIRLBOSS. I reached everything by myself! You can do it too! I am so amazing! I learn everything! I hate capitalism! GIRLBOSS. Ohhh, I am so like you! You can do it! I am so original and creative! There is no bad job! I even believe in magic and sigils! I had nothing and now I have so much! And I did it! You can do it! Go for it! We are an awesome company! GIRLBOSS."

description

Uhhhh... I know Sofia is awesome, she did so much (I never heard about Na
Ashley Reid
This was a mostly amazing book, I would recommend it to anyone, even if you are not a female entrepreneur.

The author has a great outlook on life and the book inspires you to have more confidence in yourself, even if you feel like you are failing at what you think you should be doing.
alexandra
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

#GIRLBOSS was just as fantastic as i expected it'd be. (and in a really teeny-tiny way, that disappointed me but, for the most part, i loved this novel.)

this is a book that i would recommend to every human. never read non-fiction novels? great, go read this. don't care for fashion? mmmm, still go read this. not a girl? who cares, go read this. it's a book that i found very honest, quick, and empowering. sophia amoruso shares her journey on how she went from dead broke to $100 million in eig
Alaina
Now I know this is a series on Netflix but before I dove into that.. well, I wanted to read the book way beforehand. After reading it I'm kind of hesitant going into to watch it.. but as long as I have wine and snacks.. I'll be good.

#GIRLBOSS is about Sophia Amoruso. IT's her story about how she went from a little ebay store to a real life business woman. Not that I'm hating on ebay workers or anything.. because I don't!! Just mentioning that she created a business from that little ebay job.

Sop
Katie
Oct 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir
NO! NO NO NO! This book does not deserve any sort of award! Unless you are in 6th grade and have never spoken to anyone about your future, do not waste your time, money, brain power. This book is one of the most mindless, judgmental, condescending, self-inflating, poorly written book on business. Sophia Amoruso may have a successful business but the way she talks about her achievements makes her seem like the first ever CEO. The advice is trite and she doesn't actually indicate what you can do t ...more
Karatepop
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Sigh. This is written like a really long blog post. I completely disagree with her attitude about money and hard work and reward. I think putting something out to the universe and making it so is bullshit. I think different people have different ideas of success. I think people who choose to be poor because it's cool and "screw the man, man!" are naive and belong in a Pulp song. I think if you grow out of that phase and just shift to the other end of the spectrum, you aren't any less naive.. jus ...more
Jennifer Jacobs
Perfect book!Funny and sharp!Bad girl attitude at it's best!This seems my kinda book!Just got it on kindle 5 mins ago and couldn't put it down!!Will update my review as I read :)

25% update!
Wow!I was able to read 25% within 2 hours!The book is superb easy to read!Very fun,inspiring too:)
Another woman who did even shiitier things in her days of struggle is none other than Madonna:) (I highly recommend J.Randi Taraborelli's biography of Madonna!One of my favorite books ever!)
I am very impressed wit
charlie ⚖☭❣
This was the most self involved piece of writing I have ever read. EVER. I only skim read it because, for the most part, I didn't care about this random woman's anecdotes about her life. Why was this written? Why?

Let me discuss my main problem. Multiple times throughout the book, Amoruso says the thing she's good at is free marketing. Free PR.

HELLOOOOOOOOOOO THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS BOOK IS. THERE IS NO #GIRLBOSS, AMORUSO DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT US, SHE IS JUST GETTING FREE PRESS FOR NASTY G
Betsy Step
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
More realistic and inspiring than Lean In.
Rachel
Full disclosure: I kind of view audiobooks as cheating, and this was my first audio book. When Goodreads emailed me saying I could have a free audible version of #Girlboss because I had marked it as "to read" I jumped on it. I read Tina Fey's "Bossypants," and still regret not having gotten the audible version so that I could HEAR Tina Fey reading me her book.

This book was not read by Sophia Amoruso, and I cannot imagine what it would take to flawlessly read a book, chapter by chapter, and inton
Banny Carstairs
Actual rate 2.5
I liked it overall, I'll even apply some of the advices in my professional life. Also, the "Portrait of a #GIRLBOSS" sections, very empowering; thumbs up.

But there were too many paragraphs and chapters that felt kinda out of place, repetitive and that contributed nothing.

• If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You
  • It
  • Leave Your Mark
  • You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
  • Girl Code: Unlocking the Secrets to Success, Sanity, and Happiness for the Female Entrepreneur
  • Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
  • Man Repeller: Seeking Love. Finding Overalls.
  • Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
  • How to Be an Overnight Success
  • You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
  • Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"
  • How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style, and Bad Habits
  • Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder
  • The Glitter Plan: How We Started Juicy Couture for $200 and Turned It into a Global Brand
  • Love Style Life
  • Nice is Just a Place in France: How to Win at Basically Everything
  • The Woman I Wanted to Be
  • In My Shoes: A Memoir
Sophia Amoruso turned her hobby selling vintage clothing on eBay into Nasty Gal, one of the fastest growing companies in America. Her rise has been covered by major media like The New York Times, Forbes, Fortune, Inc., and The Wall Street Journal, and she has a devoted following on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Articles featuring this book

Her Favorite Business Books: The founder and CEO of sassy fashion retailer Nasty Gal shares her manifesto in #GirlBoss and offers five essential re...
“No matter where you are in life, you'll save a lot of time by not worrying too much about what other people think about you. The earlier in your life that you can learn that, the easier the rest of it will be.” 178 likes
“The energy you’ll expend focusing on someone else’s life is better spent working on your own. Just be your own idol.” 131 likes