Start by marking “A Tiger's Tale (Call of the Wilde #2)” as Want to Read:
A Tiger's Tale (Call of the Wilde #2)

A Tiger's Tale (Call of the Wilde #2)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  624 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
When a normally mellow tiger at a rescue facility trees a terrified vet, animal behaviorist Grace Wilde needs to use her psychic ability to get to the root of the problem…

A tiger can’t change his stripes—but if his behavior changes suddenly, there’s a reason. So when even-tempered Boris the Siberian tiger goes into attack mode, Grace knows there’s more to the story. Somet
Published May 6th 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Tiger's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tiger's Tale

Liz Jones
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first!
Amanda
I absolutely love this series. The whole idea of Grace being able to communicate with animals and her closeness with them, is very interesting to me. I have a strong closeness with animals, I just wish, I could communicate with them like Grace can. In the second book, the story is very fast paced, and keeps you on your toes, through out the whole run of the book. It was a nice change, in a cozy mystery, that the main focus was based around a missing girl and not all about a murder. The animals t ...more
Kirsten
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This series just gets better and better. I really love the characters (both human and non-human) she comes up with. Even the bad guys have redeeming qualities. Also the characters aren't the superficial characters you find in many cozies.

In this mystery, the only witness to someone's disappearance is a tiger at a sanctuary. How does Grace get the police to take her seriously? The story goes on from there with a complex tale of abuse, mob ties, and troubled teenagers.

Can't wait to read book #3!
Dawn Michelle
GREAT. GOOGLY. MOOGLY.
THAT was one crazy, intense read. Oh how I love this series. It is so much fun in the midst of being seriously scary at times. The things Grace gets into makes me really glad I cannot read animals minds!!
REALLY great read and series.
Trish
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Likeable cozy series, with entertaining characters, both human and animal. Similar in feel to - but not quite as laugh-out-loud as - Dixie Lyle's Whisky Tango Foxtrot series.
Lesa
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can give Laura Morrigan's character, Grace Wilde, a pass I don't normally give to amateur sleuths. The animal behaviorist takes risks and goes out on her own, behavior I normally refer to as "Too Stupid to Live". However, Grace herself comes across as an injured animal, unused to trusting others. A Tiger's Tale is worth reading for the fascinating character of Grace. The mystery is an added bonus.

When Grace rushes to rescue a friend, a vet that has been treed by a Siberian tiger, she knows som
Linda
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-read, mysteries
This is the second book in the "A Call of the Wylde Mystery series" and while I enjoyed the first book, this one really kept the action and suspense at a high level. Animal Behaviorist Grace Wilde is called to a rescue facility to help with a tiger, Boris, who has treed one of her friends. When she arrives there and calms Boris down, she receives mental images from him that leads her to believe that one of the volunteers, Brooke, may have been kidnapped. The problem is that because Brooke is a t ...more
☯Emily
I won this book at the 2015 Malice Domestic conference this month. I met briefly with the author and spoke with her as she signed my book.

The book was well-written; however, it is not the type of book that I enjoy. The main character, Grace Wilde, communicates with animals and understands what they feel and see. This is how she discovers that a teenage girl, Brooke, who is missing was actually kidnapped. I don't really think that this kind of ability exists, but I was willing to suspend my beli
Alice Liu
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book began with action and didn't end until I pulled my body out of its contorted position -- yes, I read it in one sitting. Morrigan weaves an intricate, action packed, and suspenseful tale out of a seeming non-story...a girl who everyone expects to run away. However, Grace Wilde knows better. Sussing out clues from the emotions of large, deadly, and concerned animals, Grace has to piece together a huge back story that leads to new and surprising...and deadly...characters. I love how the a ...more
Joy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Debbie Lester
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Tiger's Tale is the second book in the Call of the Wilde series by Laura Morrigan. Readers who are looking for a change of pace in a cozy need look no further. This books focuses on a disappearance rather than a murder and keeps readers on their toes with clues and evidence or an usual sort. Morrigan has an affinity for writing about animals and their thoughts and feelings that gives her work a realness that isn't easy to find in the genre. She is able to tap into the heart of the animal and u ...more
Hannah
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I was buckling down for another awesome ride when I picked up this sequel following the great first book, but I have to say it fell a little short. I still enjoyed it - Moss continues to be doggie goals, the wide range of quirky animal characters as fun and Kai is lovely - but there are some things that I loved about book 1 that seems to have slipped up in book 2.

Firstly, the animal featuring in this mystery (namely the tiger Boris) was less front-and-center in comparison to Jax the Doberman. I
Marie
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first received this book, I wasn't entirely sure what to think of it. How on earth was this going to turn out, being so... different? Most cozies follow a pattern, as anyone who's read them knows. But A Tiger's Tale took that pattern and reworked all of the parameters. It threw in a touch of paranormal, and created a brilliant (if not a tad bit cooky) concept that was unbelievably enjoyable.

The heroine of the story, Grace, has a special gift. She can communicate with animals. Being an an
Moondance
The weathered sign on the gate read:
Happy Asses Donkey and Big Cat Rescue
Tours: Tues-Fri 1:00-dark.

Grace Wilde has been called to Happy Asses to rescue Hugh, a zoo vet, who came to check on Boris the tiger. Grace immediately picks up that Boris is upset because his friend Brooke was "taken". Grace delves into the matter and finds that volunteer Brooke has not shown up for the last couple of days and Boris misses her. He was also the only one who saw her being kidnapped. Brooke's family thinks
Kai
Book 2 in the Call of the Wilde cozy mystery series. Another good mystery. I like this author's writing style, but there is one thing she does that drives me nuts. several times in a story Grace, who can telepathically talk to animals, will promise an animal something. That's the last you hear about it. You're left to assume the promise has been kept. Other than that, if you're into cozies i recommend this series.
Jonathan
Another really great mystery, this series keeps getting better and better.

I loved all of the characters, especially the animals, Moss and Voodoo are really cute!

I especially loved the fact that even though this was a mystery, there wasn't murder in it. I felt like it was a break from the usual books I read.

Overall a great book that I really can't say anything bad about.
Jill
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love animals of all kind and I love how the main character can relate to animals. The story was fun to read and I didn't want to put it down until I knew what happened. The premise for this series is different from the regular cozy and that makes for a fun read.
Daniele
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
One would think that a series about a woman who can talk to animals might veer into the realm of the unbelievable, but it comes across as realistic here. The mystery was interesting, and I loved Jack-Jack the miniature donkey. This series has become a favorite.
Tracy Weber
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome second installment of what I hope is a long, long series.
Chuck
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ended on a bit of a cliffhanger.Can't wait till the next book come out. Amazing read :)
Whitney (Shooting Stars Reviews)
Reviewed by Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

Grace is called to help out her friend deal with a tiger that has him trapped. She thinks the tiger was just upset or something, until she gets a memory from the tiger and figures out what sparked the issue. Now, she is bound and determined to figure out who happened to the tiger's friend Brooke, and to figure out what else is going on around here.

The problem is that she is now bringing in other people who may get caught up in this, and not in a good wa
Kristen
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This was good. Not great, but good. I enjoyed it, and this series continues to have some aspects that I really like.

I am an animal lover, so the "Dr. Dolittle" thing that Grace has and the conversations that she has with the animals she comes across in the story is really fun. That is a clever, unique component and I like it a lot.

Grace got on my nerves a bit in this book. She continually does exactly what she knows, or has been told, she absolutely should NOT do. Even Grace recognizes that some
Ami
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When a friendly tiger at a rescue facility tries to attack a vet, animal behaviorist Grace Wilde uses her psychic abilities to find the root of the problem. Boris the tiger is agitated for a very good reason. He witnessed his friend, a volunteer at the rescue facility, get kidnapped!

Excellent sequel. Just as much fun as the first book. This series is fun for any animal lover. The characters feel realistic and the romance isn't forced. A very enjoyable mystery with a few surprising twists throug
Kat Klein
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
When a 16 year old girl has been kidnapped and no one knows this but the tiger in the local wildlife shelter, who can help? Only someone who can talk to the tiger. When Grace is called in to assist with a tiger who has treed a volunteer vet, and she discovers why the tiger is upset... being Grace, all she can do is help.

I really am enjoying this series so far. Looking forward to more books by her.
Shira Bea
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another good one. I am glad that there is a character development in this book. Grace overcame some insecurities and issues of hers, and managed to tell other people about her ability. Kai also became more helpful and understanding. I also like that the author put the mothering behavior of dogs to kittens, as our dog Spooky used to go wild with stray kittens, and she wants to "mother" them, and be with them all the time.
Angie
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has easily become one of my favorite series. Grace, the animal telepath, is socially awkward and likable. The supporting cast is well-crafted and endearing, and the romantic interests are well done. Highly recommended for people who like cozy mysteries and for people who appreciate animals.
Sherrie
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A little bit of wandering around but the basic plot is that Brooke goes missing and only a Tiger can tell them what he saw (his name is Boris). The main character can read animal's thoughts and work with them. That is the good quality of this book because there are not many books like this particular one and it is really a good series.
Christina
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Good mystery, but there were some confusing parts to it. And others that didn’t seem to be integral to the story.

It ended on a cliffhanger so I assume the next book in the series will wrap up the loose ends.
Christine Hayes
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great addition to the series. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Amy
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love these books. They are quick reads, and the characters are charming. I love all the animals that are introduced as well, they make the best characters.
Delightfully Engaging 1 7 May 19, 2014 07:32AM
  • A Midwinter's Tail (A Magical Cats Mystery, #6)
  • If Catfish Had Nine Lives (Gram's Country Cooking School Mystery, #4)
  • Murder Hooks a Mermaid (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #2)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • Pearls and Poison  (Consignment Shop Mystery #3)
  • A Familiar Tail (Witch's Cat Mystery, #1)
  • A Fright to the Death (A Family Fortune Mystery, #3)
  • Marked Fur Murder (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #3)
  • Tails, You Lose (Witch City Mystery, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Mewer (Paws and Claws Mystery, #2)
  • Cat Nap (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #2)
  • A Churn for the Worse (An Amish Mystery, #5)
  • Paws for Murder (Pet Boutique #1)
  • To Brew or Not to Brew (Brewing Trouble, #1)
Spending the first years of her life on a Costa Rican coffee farm blessed Laura Morrigan with a fertile imagination and a love for all things wild. Later she became a volunteer at a Florida zoo, helping out with everything from “waste management” to teaching an elephant how to paint. Drawing from her years of experience with both wild and domestic animals and her passion for detective novels, Laur ...more
More about Laura Morrigan

Call of the Wilde (4 books)
  • Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1)
  • Horse of a Different Killer (Call of the Wilde #3)
  • Take the Monkey and Run (Call of the Wilde #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Six Wakes
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)