Start by marking “Dragon Princess” as Want to Read:
Dragon Princess

Dragon Princess

(Dragon* #1)

Published May 6th 2014 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Princess

Start your review of Dragon Princess
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

A pretty solid fantasy for an author I have never heard of with lots of fun humour. Pick it up if you need a fun & light fantasy read.
Kristin Taggart
I don't use star ratings, so please read my review!

(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“Frank Blackthorne's most recent heist did not end optimally. The sacrificial virgin survived, but the whole incident left Frank, a respectable career thief, on the run from a kingdom full of evil cultists eager to replace their sacrifice.

So, when the Court Wizard of Lendowyn, Elhared the Unwise, comes to him intending to hire someone to save Lendowyn’s princess from an evil dragon in return for riches, glory, a
Sally
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, gender-swap
While I never leave the house without my Kobo in my purse, I do still love the feel and smell of a real book. Dragon Princess was a paperback that caught my eye for two reasons (the title and the gloriously cheesy cover) but which won me over with is promise of gender-swapping mayhem.

Now, S. Andrew Swann is not quite up there with the likes of Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams, but his writing strikes a nice balance between humor and storytelling that managed to sustain my enjoyment far beyond th
Amanda at ORIONMISSING
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This fantasy comedy was such a fun read. Frank Blackthorne gave a silly, cynical, first person narration which set the tone for the story start to finish.

Dragon Princess by S. Andrew Swan is such a fun read! A highly sarcastic, slightly unfortunate, body-swap tale told by the unwilling protagonist: renown thief, Frank Blackthorne.
Frank thinks highly of his skill and intellect, though he recognizes that he has fallen on hard times. A debt to the thieves guild left him desperate for any job. And
Devyn
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Goodreads.

I absolutely loved Dragon Princess!
Dragon Princess is one of those books that when I flipped to the first page and read the first sentence- no, the first words I knew I'd love this book.
I'm sure every book nerd in the world knows the feeling when your eyes lock onto a book and you just know its going to be goooood. I mean, just look at that cover! The grinning dragon and stubborn pouty princess reeled me in before I even cracked open the cover.
Of course its
Joshua Palmatier
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by S. Andrew Swann that I've read, continuing my attempt to read new-to-me authors this year. And it was a blast! Definitely a fun romp through fantasy tropes with a twist.

Premise: Frank Blackthorne is a not-so-great thief on the run after accidentally disrupting a virgin sacrifice to a Dark Lord. After rescuing the virgin, he finds himself in need of an escape from an entire kingdom. When a wizard approaches him with an offer to help save a princess from a dragon in excha
Sandy
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Frank Blackthorne is a thief, except his most recent heist goes somewhat awry when the Temple of Natlac is not as empty as he was told... After rescuing the then-virgin, Frank takes a job to rescue a Princess from a dragon so that perhaps he can turn his luck around. But that doesn't go so well either after a spell has some unintended consequences of putting Frank's soul into the princess' body. Hijinks ensue as the thief-turned-princess and princess-turned-dragon search for the Evil Wizard so t ...more
Hope
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A few too many attempted rapes as plot points for my taste, but otherwise a fun read with an unexpected ending.
Nighteye
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really funny, better then PRatchett, but with a serious underthone about being trapped inside someone else body. Great book!!
Kathryn Flannery
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. By no means is it supposed to be taken seriously and it never pretends to be; Dragon Princess has lovable characters, a wild D&D-esque plot and hilarious dialogue. But I was cackling the entire time and loved every moment.

Some might feel the plot is a bit iffy, and I get that, but the author handles it was grace. When the main character Frank, is swapped into the princess’ Lucille’s body, he is confused and respectful. Not obsessive or creepy about the whole thing, mostly just annoyed
Wayland Smith
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of the things I like about reading challenges is that you read things you might otherwise not have picked up. This book fit a slot in a challenge for this year, and, reading the summary, I thought it would be a fantasy satire, and a decent read. It was actually a lot better than that.

Down on his luck thief Frank Blackpoole gets approached in a tavern by a questionable wizard. Out of options, Frank agrees to the insane plan of slaying a dragon to save a princess-- clearly a job for a hero, n
Tracy Gordon
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A dragon, a captured princess, a wizard, and a thief walk into a cave...

Frank is a thief down on his luck and trying to drown in sorrows in something disgusting but alcoholic when the wizard finds him. Somehow, the wizard convinces him to go and rescue a princess from a terrible dragon and this wizard promises to help and that the reward will be great. The only problem, Frank's luck isn't that good. Magic backfires. Things go very wrong. Frank must find a way to deal with his new problems in hig
Gio C
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great and fun story. It is filled with humor and the story stays interesting though out. I really liked the ending as it did not have the typical happy ending that one might expect. The characters are really like able and mesh well together. I really recommend this book. It is a fast and easy read. I can not wait to read the next installment. If you like wizards and fantasy I would definitely pick this one up.
Shannon
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
I like the Andrew Swann (whichever name he uses) books I have read, so I picked this up even though Sword and Sorcery Fantasy is not my preferred reading. I liked the characters, and they all seemed to be realistic enough to not be total stereotypes for this kind of book. The comedy was light; not over-the-top slap-stick or silly, so that the overall feel was that it was a Fantasy story with some humor rather than a Comedy set in a fantasy world.
Suzette
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to get into fantasy but didn’t want to read a really serious or long series. This series was so funny and gripping. Each book actually got better and better. I flew through them and had to read all three. That was a nice surprise. It also got a bit darker with each book, but stayed hilarious. Very highly recommend!!! ❤️
Ruby Ridge
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this light fantasy and was sad when it ended. The princess/dragon is a great character and the legal system is almost a character in itself. So glad there are two more books in the series.
Five stars and highly recommend this book.
Ernest
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Short read which keeps you entertained. It's witty characters and body-swapping situations are a lot of fun and it makes you just want to continue turning pages till the end.

On the other side, the story is not especially complex and the world building is just so so but that's about it.
Kate
Jun 19, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
I picked this up from the B&N staff reads shelf, 'cuz the cover looked fun, and the blurb was interesting. As soon as I got it home, I kinda regretted the purchase.
Five chapters, 56 pages. They were okay, but not great. And I have too many great books waiting to be read.
João
Aug 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Good premise, but the execution could have been better. It definitely needed better character development, Frank is the only one that doesn’t feel unidimensional. The elven king was funny, though. Overall not great, but good enough that I’ll read the sequel.
Caanan Grall
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
This was a lot of fun. Now to track down the other two.
Julie Akeman
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG this book is so funny, kinda like Piers Anthony's Xanth novels and Pratchet's Discworld, it is a rousing adventure but pokes fun at the fantasy story. At first I thought the thief in this story was a bit like Ash from the Evil Dead series, but he ends up having a bit more heart and sincerity in this one, or maybe it's because he gets sent into living in a princess body and kinda has to deal with that, and the princess was sent into the Dragon's body and well....it gets complicated but its so ...more
Laurie Sand
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love body-switch stories, so I give two stars based primarily on that. The narrative voice was fun, but that was not enough to lift this fairly predictable book above the level of mediocre for me.
Demetria
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bubble-gum-reads
A fun romp through a fantasy body-swap episode. Good characters and a well paced plot.
Vintagebooklvr
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I thought this would be a humorous fantasy but found that it was so much more. There is a good story but also a nice development in characters as well. And it is funny.
Louisa
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
(3.5) I wish this had wrapped up more, but a lot of it was good fun.
Tamra Oscroft
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a fun comical read!
I liked most of the characters - especially the unexpected ones we met along the way.
Sarai Lillie
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy, fans of hilarity
Recommended to Sarai by: random library selection
Are you a person who enjoys reading?
Do you enjoy fantasy stories?
Do you like unconventional fantasy?
Do you like unconventional plot twists/endings?

I have the book for YOU!

Seriously though, I read this entire book in one sitting because it was too awesome to put down and I'm going to share with you WHY you WANT to read it! :D

"Dragon Princess" by S. Andrew Swann.

(My peeps that live in Bloomington can totally borrow this book from the library because that's where I got it!)

Dragon Princess is 330 pa
Hali
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started thumbing through this book simply to decide if I even wanted to read it, because I was a bit uncertain at first.

I finished this book in two sittings.

I read so attentively, and for so long that I got a headache both times, but I couldn't put Dragon Princess down.

This book is narrated with a sense of humor that doesn't cripple the serious moments, and absolutely works for me. I laughed out loud a few times.
The story is original and it completely captivated me from the first few chapter
Tony
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Now this was a pleasant surprise! I had, like other reviewers, gotten hold of this on a whim and looking for something a little lighter than usual to read. And it didn't disappoint.

It is arguably not as funny as it could be and not yet in the league of other novels of the same genre but a good yarn nevertheless. I'm looking forward to subsequent volumes.

The main character is truly a likeable rogue and manages to scrape through his encounters with just enough luck and wit to make them enjoyable
Andi
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This was one of those quick reads. By the end, I enjoyed it. I'd probably be up to reading the sequel.

The story focuses on a thief who is cornered by a wizard. The wizard has him rescuing a princess from a dragon... only to figure out the dragon and wizard are part of a con that allows the wizard to switch bodies with the thief and the dragon to switch bodies with the princess. However, the thief discovers what is going to happen and interrupts the spell, causing the princess to end up in the bo
Goodreads Librari...: Please add series 2 13 Jul 27, 2015 01:47PM

• Sister Carrie
  • O Pioneers! (Great Plains Trilogy, #1)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • Melania and Me: The Rise and Fall of My Friendship with the First Lady
  • Notes from a Young Black Chef
  • Snapdragon
  • When Changing Nothing Changes Everything: The Power of Reframing Your Life
  • Island of the Aunts
  • House of X/Powers of X
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • George Müller of Bristol And His Witness to a Prayer-Hearing God
  • Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear
  • Me and Sister Bobbie: True Tales of the Family Band
  • Notre-Dame: A Short History of the Meaning of Cathedrals
  • Pretty is as Pretty Dies (Myrtle Clover Mysteries, #1)
  • Rexus: Side Quest (The Completionist Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4, Mercy Thompson World - Complete #11)
See top shelves…
S. Andrew Swann is the primary pseudonym of Steven Swiniarski, who also writes as S.A. Swiniarski, Steven Krane, and S.A. Swann. ...more

Dragon* (3 books)