Start by marking “The Pickled Piper (Pickled & Preserved Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pickled Piper (Pickled & Preserved Mystery, #1)

The Pickled Piper

(Pickled & Preserved Mystery #1)

FIRST IN A NEW SERIES!

After her dreams of romance are crushed, Piper Lamb decides to pursue her dream of opening her own shop of pickles and preserves, called Piper’s Picklings, in the idyllic small town of Cloverdale. But she isn’t in town long before she encounters a barrelful of trouble…

Published May 6th 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Pickled Piper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pickled Piper

Rane
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

Piper Lamb has moves back to the place she's called home after calling it quits in a dead-end relationship. Opening a pickling and preserves shop called Piper’s Picklings, things are looking good until a local man is found in her picking barrel and her assistant, Amy's boyfriend is being accused. In order to prove his innocent, Piper puts away her preserves and puts on her sleuth hat. She better be careful because the killer has her in their sight and she may get burned...

This had everything I
Linda
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
4 Stars! Piper is an expert at pickling with spices, and she opens a shop, Pipers Picklings. Her Aunt Judy and Uncle Frank run an organic farm which provides fresh ingredients for her recipes. Set up at a local fair, Pipers booth is popular and her goods are selling well. Early the next morning, she's horrified to discover a body stuffed head first in her huge pickle barrel!

The dead man was disliked by many townspeople, but a young musician, Nate Purdy, is the number one suspect because of an ar
Shaun
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This is a typical cozy mystery and as such it is fairly formulaic. Small insular towns, amateur sleuths, toned down violence and sex. Think Miss Marple and Angela Lansbury and you'll get a pretty good idea of the subgenre.

The characters and the story are somewhat cliche but simultaneously comforting for the same reason.

Judging it as a cozy, I found this to be fun and well written. Though a little heavy on motive and light on clues, this pickling adventure still offers enough small town drama,
N.N. Light
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan so when I saw the book cover of this book, I knew I had to check it out. Piper Lamb loves to pickle food and after being dumped by her fiancee, she returns to her hometown. She opens her own pickling shop and as she's trying to make ends meet, a murder takes place. She must help the police solve it before it's too late. A delightful cozy mystery in a brand new series. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I look forward to reading more.

My Rating: 4 stars
Alyssa White
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The idea behind this pickled mystery is very cute. I longed for a pickle while reading the whole thing, but I can't have them anymore! I am curious to see where this series is going to go. Also, it was nice not to be able to guess the killer until closer to the end. I normally can figure it out, but I didn't until chapter 28. Great job.
Fred
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Pickled Piper is the first book in the A Pickled & Preserved Mystery series.

After breaking up with her boyfriend Scott, Piper Lamb moves to Cloverdale, NY to be near her Aunt Judy and Uncle Frank. She has opened a shop, Piper's Pickling, catering to pickling and canning people. As Piper and her part-time employee, Amy are getting the P & P booth set for the opening of The Cloverdale Fair, they witness a heated argument between Alan Rosemont and Nate Purdy, that almost comes to blows.
Ronna
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free from the author. This is my honest review.

In this exciting book in the new series--Picked & Preserved Mysteries-- Peter Piper did not pick a peck of pickled peppers, but the new girl in Cloverdale, Piper Lamb, picks fresh organic produce from her Aunt Judy's farm to make her many various pickled and preserved specialities for her new shop, Piper's Pickelings. She's hoping to get a fresh start in life after her boyfriend has left her to travel around the world.

With
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to start by saying, this is one of the best new books I have read this year! I couldn't put it down. THE PICKLED PIPER hooked me on page one and just kept pulling me in!

Piper Lamb has opened her dream store, Piper's Picklings in the small town of Cloverdale where she sells not only the multitude of delightful items that she has pickled and preserved herself, but also pickling spices, supplies, and cookbooks. And she can't think of a better way to promote her business than setting up her w
Yvonne
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After Piper Lamb breaks off with her fiancé, she packs up and moves to the small town of Cloverdale, where her aunt and uncle live. Piper opens her own store, Piper’s Picklings, where she creates and sells her own pickles and preserves. Things are looking great as she even opens a booth at the Cloverdale Fair with her assistant Amy.

Then Amy’s boyfriend, Nate, gets into a shouting match with Alan Rosemont, a member of the town council and a man hated by most of the small town, and things begin to
Christopher
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fun, compulsively readable story about the owner of a pickling shop who becomes an amateur sleuth to help out a friend. The characters are enjoyably realistic and well delineated. Okay, so the librarian could have been more realistic, but maybe flattery will help sell more copies of this book to libraries. And yes, I came across a pun on the main character's shop in reference to one of the suspects. Spoiler alert: yes, this is a "cozy" mystery, but the murders are just as deadly as any found i ...more
Sandie Laughner
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a new series by this author. Also, it's the first book that I've ever read by this author-- and it won't be the last!!
Piper Lamb is on the rebound and moves to a small town where she spent summers with her aunt and uncle. Piper's passion is pickles so she opens up a pickle shop.
Piper sets up a booth at the local fair to sell her wares. Unfortunately, a murder is committed and the dead man's body is thrown into Piper's new pickle barrel at her booth!! A singing newcome
Linda
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge, bingo
I did enjoy this first entry in the series. Piper is a very likeable MC and I liked her detecting style. The other characters and small town setting were likeable and I loved all the descriptions of the pickled products that Piper sells in her store. I was very proud of myself because not only did I identify the victim and who the main suspect would be but I actually identified the killer even though I was convinced that I would be wrong in the end. Looking forward to reading more in the series.
Christine
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozies
This is the first book in the pickled and preserved series. Piper Lamb moves to Cloverdale to be closer to her aunt and uncle and to open her own shop, pipers picklings. Piper has a booth at the local fair to try to get more business. But when a body turns up in her pickle barrel.

This was an ok book. I had a hard time getting into the book. I kept putting it down and having to force myself to pick it up and finish it. I couldn't connect with the characters and didn't much care about the mystery
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
Piper Lamb has packed up her previous life and headed to the town she used to visit as a child (staying with her Aunt and Uncle), she has set up a shop called Piper's Picklings and with the help of the Sheriff's daughter (Amy) she is starting to build a client base.  Shortly after the opening there is a local fair and it is there that the trouble starts.  Firstly Amy's boyfriend gets into a shouting match with Alan Rosemont and then Rosemont is found dead, face down in Piper's Pickle Barrel! It ...more
Mark Baker
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, mystery
Piper thinks a booth at the local fair will be just the thing to get her new pickling business off the ground. However, the second morning, she finds a man dead in her pickle barrel. Can she figure out who the killer is?

The characters in this new series are wonderful, and I was drawn to them almost immediately. The plot was a bit uneven, but the climax was strong and logical. I will definitely be back for the second one.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Read m
Debbie
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cozies
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, of course it had me at "pickled". The characters are realistic to the point of I would love to meet them. There seems to be a romance brewing, and it seems like a nice pace.The investigation was handled great, not with obnoxious questioning but various people picking up info by chatting. There were enough twists to keep me guessing, although I had an inkling, I was never positive. If you like small towns, this is the book for you, The shops and people give you the ...more
LORI CASWELL
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
The Cloverdale fair offers Piper a sweet opportunity to promote her business. With her new assistant, Amy, she sets up a booth centered around an eye-catching display of the ever-popular dills in an old-fashioned barrel of brine.

But things soon turn sour when fairgoers witness a fight between Amy’s boyfriend, Nate, and town council blowhard—and bagpipe player—Alan Rosemont. When Rosemont is found floating in Piper’s barrel, Nate becomes the prime murder suspect. With Amy’s boyfriend in a pretty
Randee Baty
The Pickled Piper begins a new cozy series and I think it's going to be a good one. Piper, who moved to the small town of Cloverdale to start over after a romance goes bad is a smart, engaging sleuth and the other characters are just as interesting.

Piper has moved to Cloverdale to be near her aunt and uncle after her fiance, now ex-fiance, decided to travel to Tibet without her. She decided to open Piper's Picklings, a shop devoted to everything in the pickling realm. I personally hate pickles
Beverly Guy
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading the new book by Mary Ellen Hughes called "The Pickled Piper." This is the first book I have read by this author and I can't wait to read her next awesome book. Let me tell you first off that you will absolutely love this book before you even start reading it just by looking at the awesome cover! That's how I always judge right off the bat if I am going to read a book before I even read the introduction or back cover. It is an awesome cozy mystery that happens in a qu ...more
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was a terrific read! Piper Lamb, starting off her pickling and preserves business, finds a dead man, a nasty town councilman, floating in her pickle barrel at the town fair, and soon becomes involved with helping to clear her assistant’s boyfriend from being accused for the murder. As she starts digging deeper into who had motives, there are acts of vandalism aimed towards Piper, and two more murders occur. There are quite a few characters with a good motive for the councilman’s murder, and ...more
Marie
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's books like this that made me fall in love with cozies. The quaint small town with all of the uniquely stereotypical characters that you'd find in every small town America, the heroine that has a talent for something domestic, and the murder that (at times) is so bizarre, it's nearly impossible not to chuckle at the author's creativity (as macabre as that may sound!).

In The Pickled Piper, we are introduced to the residents of Cloverdale during one of their biggest events - the town fair. Pip
Debbie
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
"Pickled Piper" is a cozy mystery. The heroine was a nice person, and she tried to solve the mystery by uncovering useful information about other possible suspects rather than by accusing people to their faces or starting ruinous rumors. So I liked her.

The mystery did have some clues and you could guess whodunit from those clues, yet it wasn't really a puzzle mystery. The characters made some assumptions about who hated the dead guy and then tried to discover which of these people could have bee
Donna
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Keeps you guessing. Piper Lamb returns home to Cloverdale, NY to be closer to her aunt and uncle and to open up her own shop of pickles and preserves. She has set up a booth at the town fair hoping to advertise her shop to the locals. Instead she has the body of Alan Rosemont dumped in her pickle barrel. When the only suspect the sheriff seems interested in is her assitant Amy's new boyfriend Nate, they decide to do some investigating of their own. It turns out there were a lot of pe ...more
❂ Jennifer
Dec 12, 2013 marked it as dnf
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I'm not rating this one because I couldn't even get to page 60 before closing it with a "nope, can't do it". By page 32 there were so many implausibilities my suspension of belief snapped from the tension of over-stretching. It's been rated highly by others, so I might try to read it again at a later date; I love the setting of a pickle shop and would love to read more about it, but the writing was just not working for me.
 Czekolada Hope
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good brand new series, good story line, and good characters. I liked Piper and her friends. I am looking forward to read the next.(๓๓)
Cait S
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Alright, let's start with the positives here. First, this is definitely a cozy mystery subgenre that hasn't been done before. Pickling? Who would think of that? And I did enjoy that part of it. The MCs shop and her career were probably the things keeping me involved.

Also we jump right into things within the first chapter of the book. A lot of cozy mysteries lose me in the extensive backstories and set up early on, and this book didn't have that at all. Can respect it.

Now the negatives.

1) The MC
Kellene
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I did enjoy the beginning of this new series. The characters were appealing and the setting was so typically cozy-mystery small town that it was hard not to like. I loved the way everyone pulled together to help Nate out when things got rough for him. I did have the killer pegged early in the mystery and got frustrated at Piper's lack of insight on that matter frequently, but the book would have been incredibly short otherwise, I suppose. I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes, but ...more
Debbie Lester
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mary Ellen Hughes brings readers the first book in her new Pickled and Preserved series, The Pickled Piper. With a unique pickling hook, this new cozy series will appeal to those who love to pickle, freeze and can, as well as, cozy mystery enthusiasts. Engaging characters, a great small town setting and a bag-piping councilman combine to make this cozy an uncommon treat for readers. You don't have to be a pickle lover to love a good amateur sleuthing adventure!

What I liked:

If you have read very
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

Beware of mild spoilers

When Piper Lamb’s fiancé, Scott, tells her he wants to take a break and find himself, she takes it as a cue to start over in life. She spent summers on her aunt and uncle’s farm in Cloverdale, NY, as a child and figures it is the perfect place to open a retail store that is all about pickles and the supplies needed to make them at home. The annual fair provides a good opportunity to get the word
Tess
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thios is the first book in a brand new series, A Pickled & Preserved Mystery. The small town of Cloverdale in New York welcomed Piper back to town. Piper had spent summers there, with her Aunt Judy and Uncle Frank. Cloverdale seems the perfect place to put her old life and her old fiancee out of her mind. She has come to terms with it, but Scott, the ex, can't seem to get it through his head that it's over, and continues to call and send gifts.
Piper soon finds her place in town and open a sm
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Iced to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #3)
  • A Tough Nut to Kill (A Nut House Mystery, #1)
  • Tempest in a Teapot (Teapot Collector Mystery, #1)
  • No Mallets Intended (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #4)
  • Engaged in Murder (Perfect Proposals #1)
  • Death of a Crabby Cook (Food Festival Mystery #1)
  • Chili Con Carnage (Chili Cook-Off Mystery #1)
  • Beewitched (Queen Bee Mystery, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Death on Eat Street (Biscuit Bowl Food Truck Mystery #1)
  • Well Read, Then Dead (A Read 'Em and Eat Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Strawberry Swirl (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #5)
  • Snow Way Out (Snow Globe Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Cookies and Scream (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Ill-Gotten Panes (Stained-Glass, #1)
  • Kernel of Truth (Popcorn Shop Mystery #1)
  • Feta Attraction (Greek to Me Mystery #1)
  • Paws for Murder (Pet Boutique #1)

Pickled & Preserved Mystery (3 books)
  • License to Dill (Pickled & Preserved Mystery, #2)
  • Scene of the Brine (Pickled & Preserved Mystery, #3)