Start by marking “Love and Other Foreign Words” as Want to Read:
Love and Other Foreign Words

Love and Other Foreign Words

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  6,626 ratings  ·  1,050 reviews
Can anyone be truly herself--or truly in love--in a language that's not her own?

Sixteen-year-old Josie lives her life in translation. She speaks High School, College, Friends, Boyfriends, Break-ups, and even the language of Beautiful Girls. But none of these is her native tongue -- the only people who speak that are her best friend Stu and her sister Kate. So when Kate ge
Published May 1st 2014 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Love and Other Foreign Words, please sign up.
Lily no, it actually has a sweet ending. If you haven't read it already, I think you should read it.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
hanner I don't entirely understand your question, but I will answer it to the best of my abilities. Josie speaks many "languages". Languages like…moreI don't entirely understand your question, but I will answer it to the best of my abilities. Josie speaks many "languages". Languages like "Ohmig-d"(teenager language) and "Stu"(her best friend). I believe you are correct, she has to learn how to speak "Love", she is seemingly the only person who can't. I hope I did well in answering your question!(less)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny HanIsla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsWe Were Liars by E. LockhartSince You've Been Gone by Morgan MatsonWhat I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick
2014 Contemporary YA
268 books — 1,975 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,548 books — 9,149 voters

More lists with this book...

·  6,626 ratings  ·  1,050 reviews

Aj the Ravenous Reader

Such a fun, entertaining read. I love Josie’s preciseness in every language she chooses to speak. She’s the kind of girl who wants to make sure that she and the other party involved in every communication should share similar language. The moment she doesn’t understand another person’s language is her ultimate tragedy so when her sister Kate announces her engagement to Geoff spelled with a P, Josie resolves to make her older sister see that he isn’t right for her even if it has to take Josie to
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

I actually only picked up Love and Other Foreign Words on a whim during a bookstore sale. I had previously read a positive review of the novel (that definitely mentioned a lot of things I think I'd enjoy) and put it in the back of my mind. Luckily, this novel did not disappoint.

First off, I'd like to commend Erin McCahan's different spin on what you'd call a generic story. We've all heard of stories with teens falling in love--but what if one teen didn't understand the definition of love?

Josie
Heather
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
I enjoyed this book. The whole novel follows Josie who is so insanely smart that it made me feel incredibility dumb. Josie can speak all these different languages such as high school, college, friends and so on but the one language she can't grasp is the language of love.

This book follows Josie navigating through the world of 'love' and trying to understand it. It all begins when her older sister announces that she is engaged to a insufferable man named Geoff. Now when he was first introduced
Regan
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.25

I really really enjoyed the main character and her voice! I personally found this book to be hilarious
Noor ♾
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Josie is me. I am Josie. Where has this book been all my life?? ❤❤❤
Yelania Nightwalker

Cuando vi que este libro estaba recomendado por Rainbow Rowell, pensé “desastre inminente”. A mí no me había gustado Eleanor & Park, así que, cómo podría confiar en un libro recomendado por su autora. Sin embargo, abrí el libro y lean bien: ME OBLIGUÉ A EMPEZARLO.

Por fortuna, desde las primeras líneas me sentí enganchada. La voz de Josie es de lo más fresca y peculiar. Ella es la hija menor, la que llegó de manera inesperada y es una chica genio, por lo mismo, tiene muchas características

Karmen (readingoncloud9)
*2.5 stars*
Amanda
“I’ll try for Kate’s sake,” I say. “But if he uses the word adolescent again while I am one, I’m going to have to insist they break up. At least until I’m twenty-one.”

Meet Josie. The young adult genre's equivalent of Don Tillman. Gifted with an IQ that grants her genius status. She's quite brilliant when it comes to hard facts. Not so great when it comes to love. When her older sister is getting married to a man Josie declares to be all wrong for her, she insist they break up. And when her
Suraya (thesuraya)
Leon suggested me this book few months ago, saying that this is my type of book. "You will love it," he said. I read the blurb and i replied, "Maybe. Maybe not. I dont know." I wasnt interested at the time.

Today, 19th November 2015, I decided to give it a try and now all I can say is, "Leon knows me well."

Josie is a weird girl. She sometimes comes of as a genius & funny but other times shes just plainly irritating but tolerable-and-can-still-be-loved kind of irritating. Sometimes shes rude
Katie Scarlett
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book irked me and annoyed me so much. There were moments that would draw me in but they didn't last.
(view spoiler)
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Oh, that was ridiculously cute! I completely empathize with Josie...I often feel the rest of the world is speaking a language I'm not privy to. ;0)
Liviania
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Josie Sheridan is very analytical, a bit distant from her own life. She dissects people's words, the way the same phrase can mean two totally different things depending on tone, speaker, audience, and other context. She's pretty good at responding to people the way they expect, since she's so good at breaking down communication. But she's missing a deeper, natural feel for interaction.

Josie's need to understand love comes to a head when her sister introduces her fiance to the family. Geoff is pr
Cheryl
Jul 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
I jumped on the band wagon as I wanted to see what this book was all about. I kept seeing it all over the internet. I picked up this book and started reading it. The first four chapters were a blur. Then suddenly I had put the book down and did not come back to it for a while. In fact, by the time that I did come back to the book it was about 4 more books afterwards. I decided to pick it up and try it again. I only got to chapter 6 and put the book down for good. I realized that I did not care f ...more
Joy (joyous reads)
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are books where you want to critique it to within an inch of its life, then there books that you want to just appreciate it for how it made it you feel. Love and Other Foreign Words is one of those books that made me feel good; made me grin like a fool. Josie is such a quirky, insightful, unintentionally funny character. She reminds me of Don Tillman (The Rosie Project); highly inquisitive, intellectual being who manages to be funny without fully intending to be so.

This book also achieved
Avis Rara
Скучнейшая история. Страниц 50 мусолила и мусолила, так и не втянулась. В итоге, заглянула в концовку. Думаю, диагноз очевиден. Книга на любителя.
Miranda Kenneally
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
So hilarious. Love the voice.
Sol
Me encantó! Lo ame enserio <3
5/5
Reseña completa en stclouds.blogspot.com
Anja
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josie can 'speak' quite a few different languages, for example boyfriends or high school. She knows how to react in all those different situations, what to do and what to say. But only her older sister Kate and her best friend Stu from next door really know how to speak 'Josie'. Then one day Kate presents her new, horrible fiancé and a boy tells Josie he loves her. Josie understands neither of those things - they're not in a language she speaks.
How will Josie cope and how can she escape her con
Lorena (Pink Hummingbird)
Josie es una chica un tanto peculiar, su alto coeficiente intelectual la lleva a analizar todo en exceso y racionalizar sus propios sentimientos. Además es una persona sumamente quisquillosa, así que si las cosas no salen como ella quiere hará todo lo posible para que se chafé el plan.

La novela comienza cuando el mundo de Josie es sacudido por el inesperado compromiso de su hermanísima del alma, Kate, y no es eso en realidad lo que preocupa a Josie, lo que le resulta sumamente molesto en realid
Nadia Uhlenhaker
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Cute story, but pretentious, whiny characters. My favorite character was either Stu or Sophie. And I totally called the bit about Stu in the end. The writing was fine, the plot was cute, but the characters really pulled the story down for me.
Wan Rathna
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
great just great!!
Melanie Jacobson
Ohhhhhhhhh, this is exactly what I needed this week. Charmed the pants right off me. Funny, smart, it has heart. Five stars based on my pure enjoyment.
Noelia Alonso
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
Your average YA. A quick and predictable read. Forgettable. Josie and Kate were a bit unbearable sometimes.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brloveandotherforeignwords
Finished reading: November 25th 2015
Rating 1,5qqq

“In someone else's language, you become a visitor, a guest - sometimes a very welcome guest received with shrieks and hugs - but still always a guest. Because as soon as you stop speaking the native language of the group, you stop being one of the group. And then you're just alone, no matter who you're with.”

(view spoiler)
Deyse
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted here.

The only thing that made "Love and Other Foreign Words" not be a total "OH MY GOD, I LOVE IT SO MUCH" read for me was the pacing at the start and the time frame that this story includes, both were connected. I don't remember exactly how much time it passes during this book but I do remember that is more than a year, this unusual on contemporary novel and for me, even when talking about fantasy/dystopian books they usually only include a week or month of someones lif
Brandy Painter
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

Erin McCahan's Love and Other Foreign Words is a novel I was excited to read. I had heard good things and I enjoyed most parts of her previous YA, I Now Pronounce You Someone Else, particularly the writing and character development. Love and Other Foreign Words had those aspects plus a storyline I as able to love more so I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Josie is a genius but this means she is often out of the loop when it comes to how ave
Jeannette Nikolova
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
The point of this book is really lost on me. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what this was all about. Either it was extremely shallow or it was extremely pointless.
Love and Other Foreign Words is a bad copy of any book written by Rainbow Rowell. And by that, I mean BAD. The female characters are disgusting! Josie is snotty little brat, who's hobby is proving everyone that her IQ test told her she's smarter than everyone. Kate is a total bitch and a psychopath. Sophie is so dumb it hurts. E
Antonella Ϟ
No estoy segura de que opino al final sobre este libro. Me gustó, sí. Pero hay algo que no me cerró del todo al terminarlo (?).
Me encantó la protagonista. Me sacó muchas carcajadas y adoré su sarcasmo. Aaaaunque me sacó de quicio en algunos momentos.
La hermana me caía bien al principio y luego me desesperó al final. Muy infantil y caprichosa por momentos.
La trama me gustó y aunque me venía venir el cliché (e incluso admito que lo deseaba) al final no me terminó de gustar como sucedió. Lo sentí
Lina
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book

This was super funny, fast and entertaining. I laughed until this book showed how hard it can be to communicate with others, then I laughed some more after a good cry. Josie is a 15 year old genius that loves different languages, she recognizes the importance of words and family. When her older sister announces she's marrying a guy that Josie dislikes, she begins a simple yet phenomenal journey to try to define love.

"When I’m not speaking Josie, I am merely acting. We all are wh
Young Adult Conte...: #15 Love and Other Foreign Words by Erin McCahan 28 19 May 15, 2016 04:02PM
  • Breakfast Served Anytime
  • The Sound of Letting Go
  • Bright Before Sunrise
  • Guy in Real Life
  • The Edge of Falling
  • The Break-Up Artist (Break-up Artist, #1)
  • Like No Other
  • Year of Mistaken Discoveries
  • The Chapel Wars
  • The Worst Girlfriend in the World
  • The Other Way Around
  • Not in the Script (If Only . . . , #3)
Praise for THE LAKE EFFECT:

-“Observant, sarcastic, compelling, and very funny . . . this thoroughly enjoyable read is a seductive invitation to relax and let life happen.” —Kirkus Reviews (STARRED review)

"[An] inviting, thoughtful novel." —The Chicago Tribune

"A dazzlingly hilarious trifecta of awkward growing pains, social gaffes, and the romance that will warm your heart forever . . . Erin McCah
“Good becomes perfect, but perfect is an illusion. And illusions are like all spells—temporary and soon broken. And when that happens, feelings change.” 43 likes
“I think I'm nostalgic for a time I never experienced.” 39 likes