Start by marking “Everything Leads to You” as Want to Read:
Everything Leads to You

Everything Leads to You

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  26,232 ratings  ·  2,911 reviews
A love letter to the craft and romance of film and fate in front of—and behind—the camera from the award-winning author of Hold Still.

A wunderkind young set designer, Emi has already started to find her way in the competitive Hollywood film world.

Emi is a film buff and a true romantic, but her real-life relationships are a mess. She has desperately gon
Published May 15th 2014 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Everything Leads to You, please sign up.
Lauren The main character doesn't really struggle with her sexuality, but a major secondary character has had some setbacks due to hers. Most characters…moreThe main character doesn't really struggle with her sexuality, but a major secondary character has had some setbacks due to hers. Most characters treat it as normal, and it really isn't the main issue. (less)

·  26,232 ratings  ·  2,911 reviews

Start your review of Everything Leads to You
may ➹
what kind of gay sorcery is this???

this is a slow book. not at all action-packed. but somehow I was just so engayged that I barely noticed, and I just fell in love with the story and these characters. this is... so beautiful
Riley
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5

This book was so beautiful
Whitney Atkinson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm trying to get back into audiobooks, and knowing that contemporary and memoirs are the funnest to listen to, I gave this one a try. I really enjoyed the narrator and the story, so it was a fun listen! But I proved to myself that once again, I have a tendency to let details slip through the cracks when I listen to audiobooks.

The main thing I enjoyed about this book is the characters. I thought Emi was a good lens from which the story is told, and her friendships with Charlotte and
Elise (TheBookishActress)

Everything Leads to You is a book about movies and lesbian love, and even though it didn’t impress me as much as I’d hoped, it's a really incredible
Zoë
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH. THE FILM ASPECT AND THE LGBTQ ASPECT AND THE MYSTERY AND YAY
Lola
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lola by: Goodreads--and we love it.
Also posted on Hit or Miss Books.

Everything Leads to You is definitely not a BAD book. It was actually my first lesbian YA (romance—details later) read and I think I may continue with this genre and try to seek some gems out there—because there always are!

The story revolves around Ava, the granddaughter of a well-known celebrity who died and left her a let
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
3.5 Stars

"Because in the conversation beneath this one, what we're really saying is I am an imperfect person. Here are my failures. Do you want me anyway?”

Awww, this was so cute. Seriously a nice palate cleanser in between all the angst and fantasy I’ve been reading lately. This story revolves around Emi, who whole working set design in LA stumbles onto a mystery involving a classic film star and a troubled girl named Ava. There's this really fantastic element of movie magic, and it was great re/>
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“as much as i had wanted a love story out of a movie, i know now that movies can only hope to capture this kind of love.”

look, this was everything i wanted, and more. going into this novel, i wasn’t really expecting something that i would absolutely love. what i expected was a generic 3 star read that i’ll put off as eh, contemporary isn’t really my preferred genre and that’s nothing new but THIS is the kind of contemporary that i would die for time and time again.

everything leads to
Raeleen Lemay
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, own, lgbtqia
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. SO BEAUTIFUL AND THE FEELS AND IT'S ALL ABOUT MOVIES AND LOVE JUST AHHHH.

Check out my video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hTh4s...
emma
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

We love films because they make us feel something. They speak to our desires, which are never small. They allow us to escape and to dream and to gaze into eyes that are impossibly beautiful and huge. They fill us with longing.

Emi Price is an aspiring production designer in Los Angeles, which means that she works behind the scenes on crafting film sets, searching for the perfect armchairs and potted plants and window dressings to make a scene feel real, unique, and personal. When she and her
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt
❥ 2 / 5 stars

This book was kinda boring, slow and way too predictable. I thought I would eventually end up liking this one since I’m always interested in film industry and the synopsis really captured my attention but it turned out that I did not enjoy reading it at all and I had no feelings for any characters in the story. I couldn’t connect to any of them and I couldn’t feel the chemistry between two protagonists, either. :(
Keertana
Without a doubt, this is LaCour's best novel by far. While I've loved and taken away something different from every one of her books, I was still blown away by this which, believe me, is no easy task.

Film

What I appreciate about LaCour's writing style, in general, is the fact that she never writes down to her audience. Instead of depicting young adults whose lives revolve around school, she imbibes each and every one of her protagonists which a passion. In Hold Still it was photography; in The/>
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, contemporary
i loved this. like a lot. video review to come.
nico
Feb 24, 2016 added it
You know what was better than *gasp* realizing that girls can like other girls and it's a perfectly normal thing in the world? Reading about girls who like other girls. Young Mar was shooketh.
Regan
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
A really great book!
Trina (Between Chapters)
SO good. Perfect touch of mystery without actually being a mystery. I didn't want this to end!

F/f romance and the MC is 1/4 Black.

Audiobook review: Narration was great! Would recommend. Some scenes seemed like they were script readings with stage directions, which might have had formatting in the print version, but I'm familiar with stage directions and didn't feel like anything was lost.

tw: death by overdose, toxic parent, teen homelessness.
Emer (A Little Haze)
But also.
They tell us to remember; they remind us of life. Remember, they say, how much it hurts to have your heart broken. Remember about death and suffering and the complexities of living. Remember what it is like to love someone. Remember how it is to be loved. Rememb
Thomas

With a mixture of Deb Caletti's quiet storytelling and Sarah Dessen's eye for detail, Nina LaCour writes the tale of Emi Price, an aspiring production designer who just graduated from high school. We first encounter Emi after her brother leaves her his polished Los Angeles apartment. His only instructions to her: do something amazing with the place. Emi feels at a loss until she and her best friend Charlotte stumble upon a mysterious letter at the old house of a deceased Hollywood l
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

It’s not often I rate a contemporary 5 stars, but Everything Leads To You deserves every accolade. As a completely enchanting, elegant exploration of movie making in LA, it’s a story of hope, a young starlet and a designer, artistic passion and love that only grows when you give it a chance.

The novel starts off with a mystery, where Emi and her best friend Chantelle stumble upon a movie star’s inheritance letter, which lead
May 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy reading about first-world problems.
Recommended to Sarah by: Myself, because I'm a sucker for pretty covers and titles.
My problem with Everything leads to you is how incredibly one-dimensional and shallow the story is.
Everything is either modern! and chic! or vintage! and charming!, polished to perfection. There is very little realism.
I always welcome diversity and was happy to see a a lesbian mixed race main character. However, you’re telling me she has never experienced discrimination, rejection or any type of struggle?
I don’t buy it.

We’ve all been there. Someone said you can’t do it because of something/>I
Andi 앤 디
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Well.... Technically I would give this a 2 star rating but the Hollywood setting was just amazing I had to give it another star.

I'm a huge, HUGE movie buff. And not the type that just binge-watch films... I look at everything; the direction, acting, lighting, sets, cinematography, the details. So this book really hit home for me. The fact that the protagonist is a budding set designer just fascinated me. I loved the way the book describes the world she's in and her job so vividly. ...more
N (they/them)
”There are no scenes in life, there are only minutes. And none are skipped over and they all lead to the next.”

2 stars
TW:n/a
read full review here
*full review include favorite quotes and a spoiler section

The Writing
Okay, so, the writing wasn’t bad. It just wasn’t for me, personally. I found myself trudging through it because it felt so bland and was not expressive of Emi’s character at all, in my opinion. Like, there was absolutely nothing done for me to distinguish Emi’s character from any other YA heroine/>/>read
Itsskelseyy
May 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
description

So, this book, in lack of a better word, is awful.

There are so many problems with this book that I lost count while reading it so I'm going to try my best to be not spoilery and...nice.

I was told that every Nina LaCour book was good, but I don't think I'll be picking up another one anytime soon because her writing style is very similar to an amateur fan fiction writer.

"Oh," Ava says, looking at the screen. "The internet is locked or something."
"You just need a password. The front desk will give it to us."
Ava stands up and grabs the key.
"You can
Angela
Sep 01, 2013 marked it as to-read
I enjoyed The Disenchantments and LOVED Hold Still, so I have really high hopes for this one. :D
Warda
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
[3.5]
Nina Lacour has a way with words. Incredible way with words! I'm not a movie buff, but this book made me want to become one. And r made me appreciate the art that goes into creating visual stories.
Emi was a great main character! The passion she had for her job really came through and I loved the way she saw the world. She's a romantic at heart about everything.
I feel like we just scratched the surface with the characters though. I desperately wanted more development. The romance als
Jessica
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

I really enjoyed this book. This was my first book by Nina LaCour and I loved her style and the tone overall. The only problem I had was I felt like it was just a touch slow in the middle, but it picked up and I really enjoyed it!

I loved the plot surrounding film-making and of course the mystery they encountered. I really enjoyed all of the characters in this book, especially the mysterious Ava. These charac/>4.5
ashley 🌈
Yes, I am giving Nina LaCour yet another (well deserved) 5 star rating.

I've read 3 of her books this past week and I can't get enough, they are all beautiful, and so, so heartbreaking.

This review will probably be an emotional mess because I am literally still crying, but I'll try my best. I picked this book up expecting a sweet F/F romance, with a bit of mystery and lots of movie magic, but I got so much more. I should know by now that LaCour takes every expectation and flips it on it's head. This
Chelsea slytherink
Check out my blog for more reviews and other bookish posts! This is a spoiler-free review!

Everything Leads To You has received many positive reviews and We Are Okay by Nina LaCour is one of my favourite books of 2017, so I had expected to love this novel as well. Unfortunately, I didn’t. This is by no means a bad book, I just had expected something more profound.

My main problem is that this is a young adult contemporary, yet it is neither realistic or relatable. Emi is an eighteen-year
Stacey (prettybooks)
Everything Leads to You was the last of my summer reads and I chose it over We Are Okay , a story that sounds a lot sadder and darker – I'll save it for autumn!

I finished Everything Leads to You a couple of weeks ago and I still remember how film aspect of the storyline made me feel. I adored it. I love the idea of being a set designer like Emi, our talented protagonist, and Nina LaCour tackles every little detail. She enables the reader to really understand and picture the work that goes into set design, w
Jacob Proffitt
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, chaste, romance
5 June 2018 reread: This is every bit as good as I remember. And it bears up well on a reread even though I still recalled all the major (and many of the minor) story beats. I'm even more blown away by the parallel effect of discussing illusion and story even while showing those elements in Emi's story.

I had a specific purpose for the reread, though, and I'm still not sure what to do. I wanted to see if this was something I wanted to share (explicitly) with my kids and particularly the niec
Victoria Sanguinetti's Review 4 1 1 Oct 04, 2019 10:43PM

• Annie on My Mind
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
  • The Summer I Wasn't Me
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • Ask the Passengers
  • Ash
  • Her Name in the Sky
  • Beautiful Music for Ugly Children
  • Afterworlds (Afterworlds #1)
  • If I Was Your Girl
  • Lies My Girlfriend Told Me
  • The Difference Between You and Me
  • And Playing the Role of Herself
Nina LaCour grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. Her first job was at fourteen in an independent bookstore, and she has since worked in two others. She has tutored and taught in various places, from a juvenile hall to a private college. She now teaches English at an independent high school.

Of Hold Still, Nina says:

“This book is about loss, and it’s also about art. The los
“We love films because they makes us feel something. They speak to our desires, which are never small. They allow us to escape and to dream and to gaze into the eyes that are impossibly beautiful and huge. They fill us with longing. But also. They tell us to remember; they remind us of life. Remember, they say, how much it hurts to have your heart broken.” 151 likes
“Because in the conversation beneath this one, what we're really saying is I am an imperfect person. Here are my failures. Do you want me anyway?” 78 likes