Start by marking “The Jewel of Kamara” as Want to Read:
The Jewel of Kamara

The Jewel of Kamara

A TYRANNICAL KINGDOM. AN OPPRESSED PEOPLE. AN IMPOSSIBLE QUEST.
Tempani of Amarill, a young noblewoman of mixed race, dreams of a Kamara united in race and class. Thrust from the convent into court life, Tempani struggles to find her place in a city she no longer recognizes. Starved commoners fight the crown, women have no rights, and her mother’s people hide in the south
Published October 12th 2013 by Bridie Blake

To ask other readers questions about The Jewel of Kamara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jewel of Kamara

Start your review of The Jewel of Kamara
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

The Jewel of Kamara is an intriguing book focusing on Tempani of Amarill, a young noblewoman of mixed race. She’s an engaging protagonist, especially since women have so little rights in this kingdom, and her mixed race doesn’t make things any easier for her. Her position makes her rather unique, and gives her an interesting perspective.

While I enjoyed most of the characters, Tempani was definitely my favorite. She’s a rare protagonist,
I tried... Great writing but I think this is not for me. DNF 34%
John
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, own, series, fantasy
***Disclaimer: I received a free copy in exchange for a review.***

There's things to like here, and things that need work.

I enjoyed the premise a lot, but the worldbuilding is sorely lacking. There's a lot mythology and history behind the story but you barely get to see any of it and I honestly don't know why. The open analogy to real life politics and racial tensions was refreshing, especially between two groups that were clearly Black (Kalaowin) and White (Kamari), and w
Nicua
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is always a bit of a struggle to find a pleasant or even intriguing fantasy novel, but I was blessed to have found a very entertaining and well-formed book from Bridie Blake.
Tempani of Amarill is the main character and a very strong, self-sufficient one at that. I found her enduring spirit a nice change and felt that she stayed true to her character profile throughout the story.
She is a half-breed and is on the receiving end of a lot of hate and contempt and she is forced to enter and live
Brittany
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-read-books
This book has a Merlin and Graceling feel to it. All magic has been banned like in Merlin and magic users are forced to cover up any of their magic abilities. Tempani the main character faces a lot of adversity because of who she is. She is a mixed race and dreams of a time that both races will some day live without the feud. But being forced to live with royals who despise her existence, she feels very out of place. Part of a big prophecy Tempani will have to make sacrifices and use her magic t ...more
Elis
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
TW for self-injury, and sexual work/violence/abuse

I won this book in a First Reads giveaway.

I enjoyed this book a lot. It is well-written, with a great cast of characters. (Though I must admit that I sometimes had to double-back to remember who was whom.) And I think it handled issues of race and oppression and resistance in a really sensitive, keen, and honest way. The subjects of grief and forgiveness resonated a lot with me as well. I look forward to reading more from
Christie
Apr 17, 2014 rated it liked it
For a debut novel, the author did a great job. Nice and fluid writing style. Great character development. Very well-written. It's a great storyline and leaves the reader wanting more. Definitely a window of opportunity to make this a series.
Personally, I wasn't a fan of the praying and worshiping of multiple gods/goddesses.
Kara Prem
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
I found it hard to get into the book. Actually I really liked the first 2 chapters, until the main character totally slipped in to a different personality and behaved much like the people she didn't want to be like. I skimmed the ending and it seems like the book ends in a more positive manner, but I just couldn't get through it.
Suellen Dodson
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am totally sucked into the magical story of this book - the dishes have been abadoned and the kids are demanding to be fed...It's a fabulous read that touches on so many aspects of life. Can't wait for the next book!
Jo Rowe
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not the sort of book I usually go in for but this had it all. I couldn't put it down, and found myself thinking about it and staying up too late to read it.
Maria
Jan 03, 2019
Steve
Jul 28, 2017
Linda Popdan
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2019
Carolyn
Marilyn Rhea
Callie

• The Travelers
  • Reawakening (The Passage of Hellsfire, Book 3)
  • Forecast
  • Lunula (Irador Series, #1)
  • The Strings of the Violin (The Hadariah Chronicles #1)
  • Awakening (Ragesong, #1)
  • The Portal and the Panther (Guardians of the Portal, #1)
  • Miyuki (Unusuals, #2)
  • Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A, #1)
  • The Six Days
  • Liminal Lights
  • The One You Feed (Shadow Tales #1)
  • Twisted Stars
  • Magdalena Gottschalk: The Crooked Trail (Magdalena Gottschalk, #1)
  • Spelled (Sayers Witch Series, #1)
  • Lover, Divine (Mythos: Gods & Lovers #1)
  • K My Name Is Kendra
  • Living in the Shallows (UK Crush #1)
Bridie Blake lives, daydreams and writes in Melbourne, Australia. She’s happiest at her computer, coffee in hand, Tim Tams on standby and her furry companion Poppy at her feet. When not writing she’s usually found with a book in her hand or playing with her tribe of nieces and nephews.

Bridie is the author of THE JEWEL OF KAMARA, a YA Fantasy novel, and the YA contemporary novel from Ev
“I have seen the downside of power. I know the darkness it can create in someone, and I don't want that life.” 0 likes