Start by marking “The Complete Uncle” as Want to Read:
The Complete Uncle

The Complete Uncle

The complete set of Uncle books, by J.P Martin and illustrated by Sir Quentin Blake, has being re-published in a deluxe high-quality hardback, with a wealth of extra material – including articles by Neil Gaiman, Will Self, and Kate Summerscale.

Uncle is an kind-hearted elephant who lives in an endlessly massive castle, accompanied by his motley crew of companions and employ
Published December 1st 2013 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Uncle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Uncle

Tom
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are not many books that I read as a 12 year old that I am still avidly reading, in fact, this is the only one.

Hilarious, hypnotic and hallucinogenic all at once, it relates the tales of a wealthy elephant, his motley crew and the fabulous castle of Homeward. Uncle's pomposity is nicely punctured by his nemesis, the Badfort crowd.

Explore Homeward with the one-armed badger, the old monkey and re-awaken your dormant inner child.

Uncle was inexplicably out of print until a massively over-subsc
Christopher Taylor-Davies
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a small boy I think I had one or other of the Uncle books out on loan from my local library more or less constantly. The stories have a slightly improvised feel to them, as befits tales originally told at bedtime. I always loved the wonderful flights of fancy, and the endless schemes of the Badfort crowd. What Marcus Gipps discovered as he set about getting these books reprinted was that Uncle has a sizable following, all eager to rediscover those childhood wonders. The resulting omnibus edit ...more
Rebecca Richmond
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As my family was coming together for Christmas, we were discussing our favourite childhood books over some wine. I talked about my love of Uncle and the battered copy of the first book I bought from my local library (after borrowing to read and re-read for many years) in their 'too old to lend anymore' book sale! Although we were supposed to be discussing childhood reads, I'm not ashamed to admit I have reread it many times as an adult but I had never been able to get my hands on the other episo ...more
Simon
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I grew up loving these books, but could never find my own copies (at least affordably). So I had to back this as a Kickstarter. Now my copy has arrived, and it's a most beautiful book - well designed, and full of extra material around all six books.

If you've not read Uncle, then the surreal fantasy of the world's richest elephant and his many friends will enthral and amuse, and if you have, well it's a welcome journey Homeward.
Tim Mcnulty
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a child in the early 1970s I discovered the anarchic madness that is J.P.Martin's 'Uncle' in our local library. If Spike Milligan had teamed up with Roald Dahl to re-write 'Babar' then I presume it might have turned out something similar to this. Although perhaps not as funny.

Uncle is a well-educated, fabulously wealthy and hilariously pompous and vain elephant who lives in a massive, Gormenghastian castle called Homeward full of hidden towers, haunted houses, swimming pools, dwarfs, waterfal
Ben White
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm trying to express how gleeful the mere existence of this makes me but it just keeps coming out as 'EEEEEEEEEEEEE'. Tremendously excellent. Stupendously imaginative. As a young person there were many places I wanted to go; Villa Villekulla, The Magic Faraway Tree, Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, The Hundred-Acre Wood. But I'd have given up visits to all of those for just a day exploring Homeward. Still would.
Jon
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't think I read Uncle as a child (shocking that I can't remember, I know) but I enjoyed reading the series as an adult. I'm afraid that Uncle's pomposity stood out for me (would I have noticed this as a child?) and the irrepressible Beaver Hateman. Of the goodies, The Little Lion and Goodman are my favourites. This is an impressive volume and the wonderful illustrations have been reproduced outstandlingly well. Expensive but well worth it.
Stephen Arnott
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
I loved these books when I was younger, but for many years most of the series has been available only through second-hand shops (though there have been various reprints of the first two books: 'Uncle' and 'Uncle Cleans Up'). This hardback volume contains all six volumes together with the original illustrations by Quentin Blake.
Simon Robert
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
brilliant to have all these back in print and not £400 from Abe books. for anarchic children of all ages...!
Deborah
Mike Williams
Sep 09, 2015
Lukas Scott
Mar 09, 2014

J.P. Martin (1879-1966) was born in Yorkshire into a family of Methodist ministers. He took up the family vocation, serving when young as a missionary to a community of South African diamond miners and then, during the First World War, as an Army chaplain in Palestine and Egypt, before returning to minister to