Start by marking “Playing with Fire (Slayers, #3)” as Want to Read:
Playing with Fire (Slayers, #3)

Playing with Fire

(Slayers #3)

Having superpowers is overrated. It requires Tori to go to way more team practices than can comfortably fit into a normal teenager’s schedule. Being a dragon slayer has other drawbacks too—like fighting dragons and keeping one step ahead of power-hungry dragon lords, all without blowing her cover.

Tori Hampton is a presidential candidate’s daughter, which means she not onl
Paperback
Published November 17th 2016 by Rally Point Press (first published August 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Playing with Fire, please sign up.
Oda Renate Just read (today) that most likely unntil 2016 at earliest.
Janette Yep, in fact if anyone maps it out on the calendar, it's the next Saturday after book two ends.

Sharon
Wait. So you said that you cheated on your boyfriend “just to save your country”?

OK. Righttttttt.

(view spoiler)
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
It took me awhile to get back into the Slayers groove with this book. It's been so long since the last book came out that I had a hard time remembering some things. I guess that's what happens when you read over a hundred books a year. But, once I settled in and began to remember what happened in the last books I was all involved and engaged. This Slayers series is a fun one. It's full of all the good stuff. Dragons, friends, traitors, relationships, action, suspense and super powers! I sure hop ...more
Mara
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really different genre for me, as I mostly read historical romances, clean romances, etc. This book is the first I've read in this series, but I did enjoy reading it. Luckily the author put a link to a synopsis of the first two books in this one so I knew the background before starting this one. There are quite a few characters but I wasn't lost at all.
I found Tori to be a little bit maddening because she's trying to please both sides and not hurt anyone. I understand why she's like s
Janette
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My only complaint about this book was that it didn't write itself. I kept hoping that, like in the story of The Shoemaker and the Elves, I would wake up in the morning and find it magically done. But no. I actually had to sit down at the computer and type. Where are those &*@#% elves when you need them?

Maybe they're working on book four ...
Tiana
I love Slayers. And Tori. And Dirk. And Jesse.

Just all of it and all of them. This one took some fun twists and I loved seeing how things progressed. (I think the Renaissance fair was one of my favorite scenes). Of course, this wouldn't be a Janette Rallison book without plenty of witty back-and-forths or some great romantic tension, and this book did not disappoint! It will definitely be interesting to see who Tori ends up with in the final installment, because I keep on ping-ponging in whether
K.L. Burrell
Jun 29, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ya
Is there a time quesstimate for book 3? I'm super excited for more!!! :)
Tamera Westhoff
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slayers rule! Or do they?

Okay, I'll be honest and say "Cliff hanger!" I'm very disappointed with the ending! There was no dragon fight. How are we supposed to work with that? Tori hasn't figured out who she's with and there isn't resolution for anything. It is a really long story (hence the first two huge books) and it draws you in. Then when you're thrown back out, it's just sad! The characters are still themselves, making mistakes and letting Overdrake do all he is. I hope Bess' dad figures ou
Natalie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sami
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

This book was a little bit maddening. While I enjoyed it like I do all Rallison's work I got really frustrated near the end and then the ending was a hard one. I should have waited for the 4th book to be released to read the 3rd book. I have faith that things will work out in the last book but I am a little mad at Tori for mucking things up so bad in this book.
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was even better than the last!! The Slayers series is a hidden gem that I think EVERYBODY should read! These books are fantastic and I can’t wait for the next one to be released!
Kristen
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I agree with the author's daughter, Bad, bad author! How in the world is book #4 not out yet!!! Grrrrrrrr
Pascale
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C.J. Hill/Janette Rallison is a very gifted author. Whether she is writing clean, sweet romance or fantasy stories, she is sure to entertain a wide range of audiences. I was given the privilege of reading this in exchange for an honest review. My son and I both read and thoroughly enjoyed it. This story is a "good guys vs. bad guys" (where the bad guys are seemingly very charming at times and the lines of good vs. evil can appear somewhat blurred and loyalties can switch in the blink of an eye). ...more
Andrea Manning
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I love the new information from the backstory that is discovered in this one. I really just love CJ Hill's books. I don't even need to read reviews to know they will be great. Humor, romance, and action are all here and it's pure magic. I can't wait for the next one.
Cyndy Deleon
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really love this series. I felt like I waited forever for this book to come out, but it was worth the wait.
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another sure fire hit from Rallison.

The whole series is great and this one is especially entertaining. Lots of tension and twists to keep me engaged.
Hamster
I'm not sure how to rate this. Janette and I go way back (like a year or two lol) and I read her early manuscript (which was good but not great like most first drafts are), but if she took all my advice (I haven't read the published version) then it's got to be 5 stars for sure. Because I'm brilliant and so is she. But chances are she knows she's brilliant and is as yet unfamiliar with my brilliance, so she probably didn't take ALL my suggestions and implement them immediately. And for that I'm ...more
Christie Powell
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm still enjoying this series. I enjoyed learning more about Dirk and his family. The story has a lot of plot lines open--I enjoyed the new one, with Aaron and Jacob, but Willow's from the last book got dropped almost completely. Hopefully book 4 will have more of her. The Slayers lost another team member, which almost made me cry--I'm also hoping he gets his memories back. I enjoyed the romance--up until the end. I'm not a fan of love triangles, and the confrontation at the end of this book ma ...more
Courtney
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m definitely enjoying this series. I loved that this one opened up in the POV of a character previously only mentioned briefly, and who I had lots of questions about. Diving into fitting more pieces of the puzzle together was the perfect start to the book. I thought this installment was interesting—more so than the last. I’m glad I already the next book so I can dive right in!
Kirsten
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I got this for free.

This book had things happening but it felt like almost nothing substantial happened. This and the next book could easily be combined I think. Also the love triangle is stupid and all the characters are beautiful.
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth-ya
I am pretty sure my daughter will like it, and I am pretty sure I am not the target audience. Although, I do like dragons. It's a very teenagery adventure cum save-the-world type thing - mildly entertaining and occasionally nauseating.
Jenny
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't feel like this moved the story along much, at least not until the end. The author ended up splitting her original third book into two books and it feels like this is an introduction to the final.
Grace B.
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! Each book draws you in just like the one before for it. The only complaint I have is that I'm still not sure if I'm Team Dirk or Jesse...
Diane
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thought I was finished with the series. Turns out the author didn't finish the story, and will be writing another book--who knows when?
Norma
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An engaging read.

My only regret is not having started this series from the beginning. At least I have time to play catch up before the next set of adventures.
Sirena Cardenas
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emi
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mimi
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: teenagers
I'm not sure how I this happened, but I read this book and kept thinking to myself "wow, there is A LOT of backstory here that really sounds like would have been interesting as their own books." That kept happening, so I finally checked, and sure enough, the book I was reading was the THIRD in a series. Whoops. So, yeah. The backstory was all summarized quite well, so I was never really lost or confused, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it in the same order. I liked this bo ...more
Julie
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Slayers need to find Overdrake and his dragons before they attack America. When the Slayers find someone selling dragon scales at the North Carolina Renaissance festival they are certain it's someone working for Overdrake. The seller isn't who they expected and it changes things.
Jesse is Tori's boyfriend and the captain of the other Slayers team. Dirk is the Overdrake’s son and Tori's counterpart. Dirk knows that Tori is a Dragon Lord and he wants her to join them and help him and his fathe
Jana Miller
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
It took me awhile to figure out you can only find this on Amazon right now, for Kindle. It's supposed to be in paperback soon...but in case anybody is wondering, that's how you read it.
Definitely enjoyed this one. Luckily I knew to expect a cliffhanger so I didn't have to scream about it.
I love that the 2nd and 3rd books had s lot more humor than the first, I and that the relationships were more filled out. I thought this one spent too much time on breaking and entering/espionage type missions..
Nikki Sorensen
I really want Tory and Jesse to end up together. I don't know why I just feel like Tory and Dirk are suppose to be just friends like all the other slayer counterparts. Also Jesse and Tory are great together and fell in love from the very beginning. The only reason Dirk is there is because Jesse was thinking about others even though it was stupid, he still loves her and she loves him. Her feelings for Dirk are mostly just because their counterparts. Thats just how I feel.

• Son of War, Daughter of Chaos
  • The Confectioner's Coup (Confectioner Chronicles, #2)
  • After Death (Fractured Souls, #2)
  • Returned (Forbidden, #3)
  • Redemption (Aurelia, #3)
  • Of Enemies and Endings (The Ever Afters #4)
  • The Believer
  • Letters to My Future Husband
  • Death Thieves
  • Untitled (Gilded Wings, #3)
  • Other Worlds
  • Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)
  • Summer In Paris
  • Lastland (The War of Princes, #4)
  • Emerald City
  • The Artist Cries Wolf: Moonchuckle Bay Romantic Comedy #1
  • Untitled (Gone With the Respiration, #3)
  • Inevitable (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #3)
C.J. Hill is the pseudonym for a popular young adult author who makes her fantasy debut with Slayers.

Slayers (4 books)
  • Slayers (Slayers, #1)
  • Friends and Traitors (Slayers, #2)
  • The Dragon Lords (Slayers, #4)