Start by marking “E=mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation” as Want to Read:
E=mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation

E=mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  6,298 Ratings  ·  365 Reviews
Generations have grown up knowing that the equation E=mc2 changed the shape of our world, but never understanding what it actually means, why it was so significant, and how it informs our daily lives today�governing, as it does, everything from the atomic bomb to a television�s cathode ray tube to the carbon dating of prehistoric paintings. In this book, David Bodanis
Published September 1st 2000 by Walker Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about E=mc2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about E=mc2

Anna
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
Εξαιρετικό βιβλίο με κάθε κεφάλαιο να αποτελεί ένα διαφορετικό κεφάλαιο της ιστορίας της φυσικής, με κοινό άξονα ότι όλα σχετίζονται με την περιβόητη εξίσωση του τίτλου!

Πολύ έξυπνη ιδέα, και δεν περιλαμβάνει καθόλου μαθηματικά και σύνθετες περιγραφές, εξάλλου ο συγγραφέας είναι δημοσιογράφος, που έχει κάνει επισταμένη έρευνα. Ο τρόπος έκφρασής του είναι σωστός - για όσους είστε επιστήμονες και ψάχνετε προβλήματα - και αποτελεί μια πολύ καλή πρόταση για όσους ενδιαφέρονται για τα επιστημονικά ζητ
Darin
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-top-20, science
It may not seem strange that I include a history book in my top 20...until you consider that the history book is not about a person--or a civilization--or an era. It is about an equation. E=mc2.

There are lots of biographies of Einstein, and I think the best may have just been published(I am currently reading "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson.)

But rather than write about the professor, Bodanis discusses each of the five elements of the equation. He also talks about the people
Hari Kumar
To be honest, this book was good, but not as I expected, that it would be awesome; as I was longing to lay my hands on this books for nearly an year until I found this in my usual bookstore.
And this is truly an amazing biography of the Equation, of which Dr.Einstein would have had only a moderate knowledge.
This book is a collection of stories of different thinkers, from the medieval period to the detonations of nuclear bombs, and how they happened to do it, from our history books. Many of whic
Greg
Nov 20, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A customer at work:

"This title is so stupid, who knows that this would even mean, 'e equals mc two. How the hell am I supposed to know what this book is even about?"
Riku Sayuj
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well constructed story. Turned out to be of less scientific insight than I had hoped but was full of delightful historical factoids. Full review to follow.
Rohan
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics-science
It looks like I cannot get enough of Historical Science books. This is yet another book that surprised me. In this book, the Author presents History and the impact of Einstein's famous equation. He initially tries to give a decent historical account of how the equation came about.

The book has its downsides. I really felt the equation could have been explained in much more exciting way than the Author did. But, I did like the fact that the Author focused in great detail about making of the Atomi
Dan
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like science books so was eager to read E=mc2. This brief book follows the evolution of the equation E=mc2 from the germ of an idea that began in Einstein’s mind to the construction of the Atomic Bomb. Later on in the book the equation is used to explain such things as the scientific creation of earth, where stardust comes from and then on to black holes.

One drawback to the scope here is that the book unintentionally reads like a series of articles. Covering this much scientific ground is hard
Care
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Quick Version:

This book is a well laid out explanation of each part of the equation, its history, and its role in our universe.

Long Version:

The genesis of David Bodanis’ book was an interview he read in which actress Cameron Diaz expressed the desire-serious or in jest-to know what E=mc² really meant. Bodanis realized that the truth is that very few people have even a rudimentary knowledge of the usefulness of the world’s most famous equation; this book is his attempt to rectify that.

The format
Jimmy
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
A very entertaining read. The book is about some of the people and discoveries that made it possible for Einstein to come up with his famous equation. Then it discusses some of the ramifications of his famous formula. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tonjo Wouters
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heel leuk. Is ook in Nederlands. Makkelijk leesbaar, begrijpelijk. 384 blz in drie dagen uit!
  • Uncertainty: Einstein, Heisenberg, Bohr, and the Struggle for the Soul of Science
  • God's Equation: Einstein, Relativity, and the Expanding Universe
  • Faust in Copenhagen: A Struggle for the Soul of Physics
  • The Lunar Men: Five Friends Whose Curiosity Changed the World
  • Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality
  • Mr Tompkins in Paperback (Canto)
  • The Book of Nothing: Vacuums, Voids, and the Latest Ideas about the Origins of the Universe
  • The Man Who Changed Everything: The Life of James Clerk Maxwell
  • Big Bang: The Origin of the Universe
  • The Whole Shebang: A State-of-the-Universe(s) Report
  • The Fellowship: Gilbert, Bacon, Harvey, Wren, Newton, and the Story of a Scentific Revolution
  • Einstein's Cosmos: How Albert Einstein's Vision Transformed Our Understanding of Space and Time
  • The Age of Entanglement: When Quantum Physics Was Reborn
  • Wrinkles in Time
  • Atom: An Odyssey from the Big Bang to Life on Earth...and Beyond
  • The Music of the Primes: Searching to Solve the Greatest Mystery in Mathematics
  • Why Does E=mc²? (And Why Should We Care?)
1934
David Bodanis is the bestselling author of THE SECRET HOUSE and E=MC2, which was turned into a PBS documentary and a Southbank Award-winning ballet at Sadler's Wells. David also wrote ELECTRIC UNIVERSE, which won the Royal Society Science Book of the Year Prize, and PASSIONATE MINDS, a BBC Book of the Week. His newest work, EINSTEIN’S GREATEST MISTAKE, will be published in October 2016.

David has w
More about David Bodanis...
“E=mc2 is even better than the best poetry: "In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite.” 1 likes