Start by marking “Second Quest” as Want to Read:
Second Quest

Second Quest

Published (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Second Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Quest

Start your review of Second Quest
Nicholas Karpuk
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I've been following Hellman since his webcomic days, so when I heard that he'd done a graphic novel that used Zelda myths as an inspiration, I went and bought the ebook immediately.

Overall I've probably spent way more time thinking about the Zelda universe than I've actually spend playing them. I'm one of those people who actually read those essays that attempted to tie together every single game into one universe. I have written Zelda-inspired fiction for creative writing classes. I am most cer
Rory O’Kane
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 1
I read this because I liked the writer’s essay “Saving Zelda” and its criticisms of the Zelda series. But reading this story mostly involved recognition of story tropes and elements of Zelda games (especially Skyward Sword). Its criticism of the games fell flat and its plot was kind of simplistic and boring.

The point about the girl and the thief’s relationship doesn’t seem to apply to the actual games, so the criticism goes nowhere. The point about the world being staged comes across more clearl
kat
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to kat by: Scott
I devoured this too quickly and wished there was more of it. Then I read it a second time and noticed all sorts of details I'd missed the first time through. Now I want to play some Zelda...
Nick Kives
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyed it, but plays to much into a vol 1 only without enough story.
Greg
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Great twist on the original source, and beautiful art. I definitely want more!!
Kkb
Dec 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this story. I think I would have liked the story. But to me, this was a mere fragment of the story I could have liked. This was the teaser, the trailer, the sample chapter, the tutorial level released years ahead of the actual game; worse, it had that feeling but was actually from near-but-not-quite the beginning. The scope was too wide for fiction this short, and it lacked narrative anchors before and after.

I would have been interested in seeing the whole movie, the full game,
Nick Carraway LLC
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1) "Expedition 16:
The half-key I found is so beautiful. But it's silent now, just like all my other treasures. I know so many hands have held it before mine. For a moment today, I could almost see them all. It's strange, an entire world in such a small thing.
The last girl to hold it disappeared too quickly this time. Why was she so frightened? What was she like before? I bet she dreamed of far-off places too. I bet she searched for hidden passages everywhere. I bet she was just dying to tell som
Sir Laguna
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Lo mas interesante de esta novela gráfica financiada en Kickstarter no es su particular estilo de líneas gruesas ni su extraña pero hermosa coloración. Es la forma en que usa la narrativa de historias de aventuras a lo "Legend of Zelda".

Inicialmente pensé que era solo la típica crítica a la forma en que aceptamos la realidad sin cuestionarla, pero al final me di cuenta que iba a mas que a eso, es una crítica a la forma en que aceptamos las mismas historias ficticias sin cuestionarlas y como est
David Miller
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I say that Second Quest is a radical reinterpretation of the mythological themes found in The Legend of Zelda, I worry that the reader will not understand what I mean by "radical". What I mean is that the archetypes of the video game have been violently inverted, and deployed in a tale that is both unsettling and deeply moving. It's sophisticated storytelling, and highly ambitious comics.

Courtney
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It was came off as ‘The Giver’ meets allusions of the Zelda/Link/Hyrule universe.
Curious to see where this might go.
Zach
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like Second Quest a lot more than I actually did.

I backed the comic on Kickstarter because Tevis Thompson's essay saving Zelda struck a nerve with me, and I really, really loved David Hellman's web comic A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible. With the two combining their talents, I was sure something great would emerge.

The problem is that Thompson's story is more Zelda-themed than about Zelda per se, and wasn't all that interesting or compelling; and Hellman's art is pos
Thiago d'Evecque
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Uma reinterpretação do universo de Legend of Zelda.

A arte é maravilhosa, especialmente as cores, e também gostei muito da escrita, mas a história não me prendeu. Achei meio clichê, meio bobo. É uma clara crítica à evolução da série, mas é também sobre isolamento, censura, xenofobia, destino, assim como outros temas provavelmente interessantes, mas o problema, na minha opinião, foi amarrar tudo isso no enredo.

As referências são ótimas. Talvez fãs da série curtam mais.
G. Derek Adams
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantastic art, a really cool musing on Legend of Zelda mythos, but it stands on it's own two feet as well. The pschometry idea was neat, but got a little muddled towards the end - I felt like I was missing part of the narrative. I would love to read a follow-up to this graphic novel or play a game based on it.
Jerzy
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Ah, so *that's* what Link is doing when he "solves a puzzle" by lighting torches in dungeons.

Depressing but interesting (and beautifully drawn) re-interpretation of the Legend of Zelda games. Not really much of a plot, just a loose setting for a "Who are the real monsters?" musing.
Jared Cherup
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was a good quick read. Definitely inspired by The Legend of Zelda. It requires you to have some knowledge of the mythology for it to drive its point home. The art uses warm contrasted with cool colors. The last panel is nice.
Daniel Lee
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I was totally absorbed in it. Although it functions as a standalone work, I did enjoy the references, especially in relation to the original essay (that sparked it all) by Tevis Thompson.
Ben Villeneuve
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Decent writing mixed with beautiful art leads to a good comic. The plot feels a little bit undercooked at times, but the premise is cool and seriously the art is amazing.
Kristin
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
The story didn't really impress me much, but the art and colouring are absolutely stunning. I've never seen colouring like that in a comic and I adore it.
Jason
Visually appealing, engaging setting, but a bit too confusing--at least in the first read through.
Steve
Laney
Dec 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Provenance
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place
  • Nudes
  • Words Are My Matter: Writings About Life and Books, 2000–2016, with A Journal of a Writer's Week
  • MM9
  • The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1)
  • Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham
  • The King in Yellow
  • Mayday
  • Same Old, Same Old: A Short and Strange Story
  • Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me
  • Trees, Vol. 1: In Shadow
  • Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
  • How Long 'til Black Future Month?
  • 鋼の錬金術師 27