Start by marking “Turn to Stone (Jonathan Stride, #5.6)” as Want to Read:
Turn to Stone (Jonathan Stride, #5.6)

Turn to Stone

(Jonathan Stride #5.6)

Driving home to Minnesota one night after a long road trip, Duluth detective Jonathan Stride stops by the small Wisconsin town where his mother is buried to pay a visit to her grave. As he walks through the cemetery, a local sheriff’s car pulls up and an officer steps out, pulls out his gun, and takes his own life before Stride even has time to react.

After giving his stat
Published February 18th 2014 by Quercus (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Turn to Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turn to Stone

Start your review of Turn to Stone (Jonathan Stride, #5.6)
Jean
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Novitiate. It sounds like a holy place, doesn’t it? Believe me, in Brian Freeman’s novella, “Turned to Stone,” its sanctity has been violated. My first clue was the pentagram on the cover in the “o” of the word “Stone.” Something terrible happened at the abandoned, burned-out building near Shawano, Wisconsin, which formerly housed an order of Catholic brothers.

Lieutenant Jonathan Stride is travelling through southeastern Wisconsin on his way home to Duluth one dark, cold April night when he
Linda Strong
Detective Jonathan Stride is returning home one night when he decides to stop in the cemetery and pay respects to his mother and grandparents who are permanently resting there. During the course of his visit, a local sheriff's car pulls up, an officer steps out, pulls out his gun and takes his own life.

Asked by the man's widow to investigate the reason why her husband would kill himself, Stride finds himself opposed by the sheriff .. and a wall of silence from the community.

Does his suicide deat
Brian Freeman
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
My new novella TURN TO STONE is half the length of an entire novel. It's the perfect opportunity to meet Jonathan Stride again as he tackles one of his most shocking cases ever.

Stride stops in a snowy cemetery in the small town of Shawano, Wisconsin, to visit his mother's grave, but he finds himself a witness to a shocking act of violence. Stride is a stranger in town, and the local police don't want him there...but his search for the truth makes him fear that a gruesome crime is about to happen
Ed
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brian Freeman's Lt. Jonathon Stride, Duluth, PD is one of those characters that exhibits a noble sense of integrity and justice. He's a smart detective trying to maneuver his love life while out-thinking his criminal adversaries. This outstanding novella takes a somewhat different turn when Stride stops by to visit his mothers grave in another town and witnesses a local cop commit suicide. His curiosity peaked, he is compelled to find the answer in this complex, page turning plot twister. I like ...more
Eric_W
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed previous entries in the Jonathan Stride series and it was a pleasure to return to another. Lt. Stride of the Duluth Detective Unit decided to pause on his way back home at the small town where his mother was buried, to briefly visit her gravesite. Just as he finished, a sheriff’s car pulled up to the cemetery. Thinking someone in town had seen his flashlight and called the police, he headed over toward the car only to watch in horror as the deputy stands in front of the car and bl ...more
Matt Schiariti
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are a handful of authors whose work I buy automatically without even reading the book descriptions. Brian freeman is one of those authors, and Turn to Stone does not disappoint. As gripping as anything I've read in a long time, it sucked me in from the very beginning, and I found myself reading it in almost one sitting, ultimately finishing it in a day because I HAD to know what happened next.

.What Freeman does so well in Turn to Stone, as he does with all his novels, is work the fine line
Labijose
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Never heard of Brian Freeman before. This is a short story (a novella), interesting enough for breaks between books. Stride, the main character, witnesses the suicide of a police officer, while he is paying a visit to dead relatives in a cemetery. Not wanting to, he becomes involved in solving why the officer did it, unleasing some hell along the way.
The end of this story leads you into his next one, “The cold nowhere”, which I still don’t know if I will read. But this one was quite entertaining
Donna
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This little 'half-book/novella' was a super quick read. I liked this. It even had a bit of a creepy vibe which was new and added an extra little twist to the story.

My biggest complaint about this series is how all the women want a piece of Johnny. Sometimes this squabbling comes across as a little adolescent. So, I absolutely loved that there was no love interest in this book. It was just Johnny doing what Johnny does. So 4 stars.
Tgordon
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book for this series. I stopped reading them for a bit but now I’m back on it. Love Stride and his unconventional ways of finding out the truth. He stops in a small town to view his mother’s grave and is pulled into the small towns mystery immediately! Dumb luck! He can’t go anywhere without murder all around him!
Sharon
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I liked this book. My only issue is that I felt some of the Stride's investigation came too easily. He knew all the right questions to ask all the right people. I understand that he's badass but that doesn't always go over well in a story.
M
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever Plot With Surprising Twists

For a short read, this moody mystery features a complex plot with several unexpected twists, which made me question the motives and actions of many secondary characters. The protagonist—homicide detective Jonathan Stride from Duluth, Minnesota—visits his mother’s grave in Wisconsin, and he sees a local police officer shoot himself. In this small town, everyone seems to have secrets and hidden connections to the suicide and a murder possibly tied to the suicide.
Mike Kennedy
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: brian-freeman
A short novella in the Jonathan Stride series. Stride Is driving back from testifying in Milwaukee when he stops to visit the gravesite of his mother in Shawano, Wisconsin. While visiting the graveside a local sheriffs deputy pulls into the cemetery and promptly commit suicide. Stride is pulled in by his uncle to help the deputies wife find out why her husband killed himself. This wasn’t bad for a novella. I probably would’ve rated a four star except for the fact that I found the ending a little ...more
Micky Cox
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short story from the Stride series. It doesn't have the usual cast of characters surrounding Stride, but is well plotted and has good character development to keep the story flowing. It moves at a faster pace than most of the books do, but as a short story it is not unusual to move at an advanced pace. I'm looking forward to getting back into a meatier story in the next book, but this was definitely entertaining and worth the time to listen to!
Ada Iaboni
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this is my first book from this author and once again it's a series!
This one was on the short side, which is probably a novella not a novel. It was good. Not great and certainly not an award winning novella. It dealt with, what the characters claimed it to be, demonic possession. However, many strange things did happen, but was it the devil?
Janet Hasbargen
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting Winter Read

Another thriller to keep you warm as you follow the Duluth officer on a road trip into a small town in Wisconsin. A chance encounter leaves him spending time solving a mystery. Believable characters and an intriguing story to satisfy any mystery fan.
Peggy
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, freeman
I enjoyed this short story. It kept my attention with its cast of characters and took me by surprise in the end (as usual with Freeman). I enjoyed the interaction between Stride and his uncle also because I often wish Stride had more family.
Kseniya Fyodorova
I can’t explain in details why I rated it with 3 stars. I felt that something was missed. Not M or S, it’s not that, but something. I liked Jon’s uncle though. Hope he’ll be a part of any future stories.
Linda D Naylor
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Next?

This book was so well-written and I was so intrigued by it that I'm not even annoyed that I have to go on to the sequel to finish the story. Excited complex and believable. Thoroughly enjoy Jonathan stride and look forward to more. Brian Freeman does it again.
Sharon
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another in-between Stride, but I liked this one. It was fleshed out enough and was an interesting story.
Joanie222
2 and half stars. Easy listening.
Jim
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

Really liked this book. It kept me guessing as to who the killer was. Looking forward to reading more of Brian Freeman’s books.
Charles Alvarez
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept me reading

Stride is an archetypal somewhat flawed hero. Brian Freeman paints a story that one would read about on our nightly news. Gripping and taut.
Myshelle
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Jonathon Stride series By Brian Freeman are great books to read
Sheree Rose
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

First time reading love the story. Great surprise ending. Will read more of this series. Can't wait to start next one.
Mj Weisenburger
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting female protagonist!
Mel Brannen
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Liked it. Taut, compelling, good read.
Terri
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent short story! Nice buffer between #5&6 ...more
Mike Taverner
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
A simple American cop story - they have their place!
Tj
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Secrets never stay hidden. Stride is caught in the fallout when they begin to come to light.
Bob
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Good, but not exactly hard to put down.
« previous 1 3 next »
5.6? 1 8 Apr 27, 2014 07:31PM

• Bones of Betrayal (Body Farm #4)
  • The Bone Box (Waterman and Stark, #0.5)
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • Beyond Good & Evil (A Victor Loshak Thriller #1)
  • Devoted
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #30)
  • The Girl in the Manor (Emma Griffin FBI Mystery, #3)
  • The House by the Sea
  • La grande dinastia dei paperi 1950: Paperino e il sentiero dell'unicorno e altre storie
  • Scelte alimentari non autorizzate: Dai cibi di distruzione di massa a una nuova cultura agroalimentare - La rivoluzione scientifica e culturale della nutrigenomica, ... pubblicitari
  • Evoluzione non autorizzata: Dall'uomo 2.0 alla matrice universale della coscienza L'uomo che conosciamo oggi è destinato a estinguersi: sono in arrivo ... di uomini cyborg
  • Perdidos
  • Il Papero Da Vinci
  • Le avventure e le memorie di Sherlock Holmes
  • The Templars: The Dramatic History of the Knights Templar, the Most Powerful Military Order of the Crusades
  • Stessa storia, stesso posto, stesso bar
  • Death Of A Blue Movie Star (Rune, #2)
Brian Freeman is a New York Times bestselling author of psychological thrillers, including the Jonathan Stride and Frost Easton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 22 languages. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled plots. Brian has also been selected as the official author to continue Robert Ludlum's Jason Bo ...more

Jonathan Stride (10 books)
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride, #6)
  • Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride, #7)
  • Marathon (Jonathan Stride, #8)
  • Alter Ego (Jonathan Stride #9)
  • Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride #10)

News & Interviews