Start by marking “Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel

Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel

(Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #47)

'The past is like a foreign country. Nice to visit, but you really wouldn't want to live there.'

In 2003, Rebecca Whitaker died in a road accident. Her husband Mark is still grieving. He receives a battered envelope, posted eight years earlier, containing a set of instructions with a simple message: 'You can save her.'

As Mark is given the chance to save Rebecca, it's up to
Paperback, Monster Collection Edition, 204 pages
Published March 6th 2014 by BBC Books (first published June 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.
N Great standalone ones are: "Vampire Science" (Jonathan Blum and Kate Orman), "The Bodysnatchers" (Mark Morris), "Harvest Of Time" (Alastair Reynolds),…moreGreat standalone ones are: "Vampire Science" (Jonathan Blum and Kate Orman), "The Bodysnatchers" (Mark Morris), "Harvest Of Time" (Alastair Reynolds), "The Dalek Generation" (Nicholas Briggs), "Only Human" (Gareth Roberts) and "Festival Of Death" (Jonathan Morris). Those are all completely standalone, very accessible for casual Doctor Who fans, and I can highly recommend them. I've also heard very good things about "Shada" (Gareth Roberts), "11 Doctors 11 stories" (various authors), "The Story of Martha" (various authors) and "Engines Of War" (George Mann), but I haven't read those yet, so I couldn't say how suitable they are for high school students. :)(less)

Start your review of Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel
Dan Schwent
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who, 2014
Eight years after his wife's death, Mark Whitaker receives a letter from his future self, giving him instructions on how to save her. But why are the Weeping Angels following Mark? And can The Doctor, with Rory and Amy in tow, stop the Weeping Angels from rewriting history? Of course he can! He's the Doctor...

I got this from Netgalley.

I have a few Doctor Who tie-in novels under my belt at this stage in the game and few of them really manage to capture the feel of a Doctor Who episode. Touched By
Richard Derus
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Rating: 4* of five

I still don't know who sent this book to me, but whoever you are, thanks.

I was gutted by the events on p223, really gutted; I remembered the event on p158 though and suddenly I got it, I understood what this book was about: Grieving, the process of losing your life when someone you're in love with dies and/or leaves you behind. The processes that take years to work themselves out, the lost time of happiness forfeited and the cruel hand of time stamping you with the stigmata of
Ken
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still grieving for hes wife Rebecca, Who was killed in a car accident. Mark Whitaker has the opportunity to save her after being sent back in time by the Weeping Angel.
The Doctor, Amy and Rory must track him down and try to stop him before he creates a paradox.

A really great Timey-Wimey adventure with the Angles used to great effect.
The scenes set in the 90s perfectly captures that era, I liked how Older Mark was able to pushed together Rebecca and hes younger self during their time at
Sue Moro
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
The Weeping Angels are one of my favorite Doctor Who villains. This story features the 11th Doctor, Amy, and Rory, as they try to help a man named Mark who has been sent back in time by the Weeping Angels. The danger in his case is that he was sent back only 17 years within his own lifetime and he could potentially cause a paradox by changing history. The book does a wonderful job of capturing the personality of the 11th incarnation of the Doctor and his two traveling companions. The story was ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
"Life's too short to be miserable, basically. If you can be happy, then BE happy."

This book was amazing for all sorts of reasons. First and foremost, it featured the Weeping Angels which are, in my opinion, one of the best and most terrifying Doctor Who baddies. It can't be easy to write a story where the enemy only moves when you aren't looking at it, but Jonathan Morris did a splendid job with the writing and building all sorts of tension and scares. Secondly, there was a ton of wonderful
Charlene
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, doctor-who
The Weeping Angels are my favorite Doctor Who villians. They dont exist if you are looking at them, they cant speak, you cant hurt them, and they dont give up. They are so insidiously menacing. Touched By An Angel takes these now classic Who villians and puts a new spin on them. They are ever resourceful, and in this story their plan to feed off of even more concentrated time energy is ingenious. And wrapped up in the life of Mark and Rebecca Whitaker. This novel has Mark backtracking through ...more
Scott
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
I know the Doctor Who books these days are aimed at a younger audience. This is right and proper. And they're *good* books. I'd gnaw off my own leg for the chance to write one. But I must admit, as a 39 year-old *reader*, a tiny part of me misses the days of Virgin's New Adventures and the better BBC Books, when they were aimed at adults.

In some ways Jonny's book feels very adult focused - with it's seemingly endless list of 90s pop culture references - there's even an Echobelly gag, oddly the
Suzanne
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
3.5 stars - the personalities of Rory, the Doctor, and Amy Pond came through really well, and of course the angels are such a fantastic idea!
Trevor
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Doctor Who media tie-in book I've read, despite being a fan of the show for years now. The knock against them (or at least what I've been told) is that they are written in a "younger readers" tone, and therefore only hold interest to the show's younger fans. But since I love the Weeping Angels and could tell that I could probably finish this is about a day or two, I decided to give this one a whirl. It certainly wasn't bad, and I didn't really get the "young readers" vibe from ...more
Yodamom
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Blink, there the shadow is closer. Blink a hand closes over your shoulder. Blink, sharp teeth and blank eyes are inches away. Blink, you're in another time. Don't Blink.
A Dr. Who Weeping Angel novel ! Yes, a novel. I thought his was a comic/ graphic novel when I got it, but was thrilled to find a full length read at my finger tips. Happy Happy Happy me !
The Doctor, Amy and Rory find themselves dealing with a grief stricken man who wants to change his past desperately. His travels send the angels
Corinne
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book hit the spot. It was a sit down and read in one day type of snack and it was perfect for that! Morris created an interesting time travel story with paradoxes and romance to pull you into the story, and Weeping Angels to keep it going. It was fun to see the trio on paper but continuously was brought to the realization that this would would have been a great show. Morris captures the mannerisms of the Doctor that you just want to see Matt Smith act out. The angels weren't as scary on ...more
Nicholas Whyte
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, doctor, who, audio, 1202, 11th, amy, rory, angels
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1892674.html[return][return]Yet another story of car crashes and mixed-up timelines (I have lost count of how often this has come up in New Who but it's at least twice on the main show plus Sarah Jane Smith's parents), but with the excellent addition of the Weeping Angels, who both create the possibility of temporal paradox and hope to feed off it. Morris does a beautiful job of conveying the history of the relationship between the car crash victim and her husband ...more
overthinker™
rating: ★★
weeping angels, as always, steal the show in their terrifying, twisted ways. writing was solid and told the story in an enjoyable tongue-in-cheek narration style. the biggest problem i had with this story is that it's centered mostly around mark, an average joe with a lot of relationship drama, and most of the plot is recycled from season one's episode father's day. as intriguing as his race against the clock was, i just couldn't root for him and his wife because they had a lot of
Biscuitbear
This was my first Doctor Who book, and I'm rather underwhelmed. We learn a bit about the main character, Mark Whitaker, but even he feels a bit two-dimensional. The Doctor whizzes around trying to prevent him causing a disaster, and Amy and Rory are just props with no real impact on the story. The whole thing felt shallow, with no meaningful interaction between the Doctor and his companions. The story is OK, I did want to know the end and I did finish the book, but it was somewhat blah. I'll try ...more
Oliver
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay, not great. There were a couple of things that sort of bugged me. I found the continued need to name what song was on in the background a bit irritating. Just mentioning it doesn't really add anything to a written story. It happens a lot in this. At one point, the sentence 'Amy squealed in relief' shows up. Just for a moment, I'd like you to imagine squealing in relief. Done? Doesn't work, does it.

Finally, it seems pretty common in Doctor Who books that the author has to include a
Abigail Knowles
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a story of love, loss, suspense and action with some timey-whimey shenanigans thrown into the mix, as well.

What's especially interesting is how many loops, twists and turns there are in this book. For starters, the woman at the start of the book - Rebecca Whitaker - is actually in a loving relationship with her husband, Mark. It's a nice change of pace to have them be madly in love with each other while still having their up's and downs.

It's very realistic.

Another thing is that Mark
Helen Hnin
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love weeping angels and timey wimey stuff
5 stars.

This book is amazing. The Doctor, Amy and Rory's personalities are on point. The villains are weeping angels with a big plan. And the middle of all of them is Mark Whittaker, who was still grieving for his wife who had died many years ago.

First of all, I'd be absolutely thrilled to see this on TV. This would make such a terrific episode. Action after action, suspense after suspense, and wibble after wibble! (Oh god, if I have a penny for everytime "wibble" is mentioned in this novel....)
Nancy
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately this one was a bit boring, I know...boring book about the Weeping Angels? There was just something missing here for me. Maybe the wonderfully frenetic Eleventh Doctor needs to be seen to be loved. Okay story, but I skimmed the last half because I was so bored. Neither Amy nor Rory came across well in the written word either, not in this book at least.
Lauren
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You can skip this one. It's pretty terrible, and the characters at the centre of the romantic plot are thoroughly unlikeable. The author captured The Doctor, Amy and Rory well enough but did little with them, instead choosing to leave us with the dull and unsympathetic original characters. Spent the whole story rooting for the Angels. Pretty sure that's not the desired outcome.
Fern Adams
The weeping angels are my favourite Doctor Who villains so the bar was set quite high for this book. The author captured Rory, Amy and the Doctors personalities very well and the plot was good. I just felt slightly like it was dragged out a bit and overly spelt out. Would have worked better in a book half the length. However an action packed, fun read for Whovians.
Rob Cook
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Amazing!
Feels like an episode, the characters are well written and the intricate time travel plot plays out so well.
Plus loved all the old 90s references!
Recommended!
Andy Parkes
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reading
Very enjoyable Doctor Who story from the Matt Smith era.
Weeping Angels are one of my favourite Who monsters so this was right up my street and has everything you'd expect from a Doctor Who story and jumps along at a decent pace

Erin Mendoza
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has some of my favorite characters in it. Fantastic story. Loved it.
Sean Lillie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I remember reading this as a child and just found it on my shelf. I have extremely fond memories of it, its a touching story that links well with the actual series but stands well on its own too.
I would recommend it to anyone who loves doctor who.
Ashley Brilinski
Weeping Angels making us weep

Great story but had some kind of sad parts. The weeping angels show no mercy, but that's what makes them great predators, right? That's all I'll say, no spoilers.
Gaze
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have tried to read some of the BBC tie-in novels for each series of Doctor Who and most of them are more miss than hit. This one is wonderful however. The Doctor, Amy and Rory still true to their characters in the TV series (6) and the plot even runs in with the overall arc of series 6 (fixed point in time getting changed).

The character that holds the thread together is the main character of Mark. He is us. If we had the choice, we would do exactly the same thing as him. The Doctor, Amy and
Aparajitabasu
Original Link to the review at my blog Le' Grande Codex - here

Among the Daleks, Cybermen, and the Silence, the Weeping Angels can be considered a formidable enemy and I admit on par with the Daleks on the scary quota. They had some of the most terrifying episodes in their repertoire too including 'Blink', 'The Time of Angels', 'The Angels take Manhattan' etc.

GOD I still remember David Tennant's 10th Doctor Dialogue from the episode 'Blink' --- "Don't Blink. Blink and your dead. Don't turn
Anika Claire
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast - faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink. Good luck." - The Doctor, Blink (2006)

Weeping Angels are one of the most scary (in my opinion) of the Doctor Who monster line-up. They appear as harmless angel statues but are actually ancient creatures who can only move when they are not observed. They feed by sending their victims back in time.

Mark Whitaker's wife died nine years ago and he
Jay Eckard
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the last review I wrote for a BBC Doctor Who novel, I pointed out they were written for a young audience. Which is a bit ironic, considering the content of this one.

There are Weeping Angels who throw a man back in time, to a point before his wife is killed. He and the TARDIS crew spent the bulk of the novel making sure his younger self (and history) stay on track. It's a surprisingly mature tale, and given the inevitable attempt to stave off the wife's death, a surprisingly un-maudlin one.
So, I Read This Book Today
Wheeping Angels are SO Scary!! "Whatever you do . . . DON'T BLINK!" - Doctor Who, Blink

One of the scariest things I have ever watched on telly? Blink. In this Doctor Who tenth episode from the third season, the Doctor and Martha meet Sally Sparrow. Well, they dont really meet Sally you see, there are DVD Easter Eggs, on sixteen DVDs, where a mysterious man has a conversation, apparently with someone sitting on our side of the screen . . . and it all goes extremely terrifying from there . . .

• Doctor Who: Rose
  • Doctor Who: Magic of the Angels
  • Doctor Who: Dark Horizons
  • Doctor Who: Who-ology
  • Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Vol. 1: Revolutions of Terror
  • Doctor Who: Death's Deal (Destiny of the Doctor, #10)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)
  • Doctor Who: Royal Blood
  • Doctor Who: Blackout
  • Doctor Who Short Trips: Zodiac
Jonathan Morris is a prolific writer of Doctor Who fiction. He has contributed to many ranges, in every medium except television. His style has often been compared to that of Douglas Adams, perhaps in part because he dedicated The Tomorrow Windows to Adams. Indeed, this dedication was discussed at length in at least one prominent interview about the book, in which the interviewer's questions and ...more

Doctor Who: New Series Adventures (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man
  • Doctor Who: The Monsters Inside
  • Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
  • Doctor Who: The Deviant Strain
  • Doctor Who: Only Human
  • Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #6)
  • Doctor Who: The Stone Rose
  • Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned
  • Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #9)
  • Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island

Articles featuring this book

You know winter is coming. You don't blink around statues. You're a true believer. When it comes to escapism, you're an expert. To...
“Why do humans never do as they're told? Someone should replace you all with robots. No, on second though, they shouldn't, bad idea.” 88 likes
“Life's too short to be miserable, basically. If you can be happy, then be happy.” 8 likes