Start by marking “Almost Dead” as Want to Read:
Almost Dead

Almost Dead

A glitzy whodunit set amongst the Gold Coast elite and a hilarious romance between Macey Pentecost, the privileged teenager with a social conscience who just happens to see ghosts, and the good-looking surf champion Finn.

Macey's life has been turned upside down. Her mother has left, her father is absent and her two best friends (her brother Seth and his girlfriend Willow)
Published January 2014 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Almost Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Dead

Angela Sunde
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I'm giving this novel 5 stars. I picked it up at the library and it's not the usual genre I read; YA paranormal romances aren't my thing. But I knew the author, Kaz Delaney's previous novel, Dead Actually, had won Best YA Novel in the Aurealis Awards last year, and so I expected Almost Dead to be an entertaining summer read. Plus I live on the Gold Coast, where the novel is set.

It was more than entertaining; it was un-put-downable! I had to know what happened next! I had to find out whether Mace
Sally906
My second book in 2014 by an Aussie Woman writer and another top read.

Life is normally tough when you are a teenager, it is part of growing up, and it is even tougher if your mother abandons you and your father brings home another woman and a half-sister you never knew you had. Macey has all this, but she has an even bigger problem, she sees ghosts, and they talk to her, mostly just to argue that they are not dead! Surely this should only happen in books not on the Gold Coast, this is so uncool!
Rochelle
I loved this book, absolutely adored it. It had just the right balance of fun, seriousness and snark.

Almost Dead is a companion novel to Dead, Actually, and stars Macey Pentecost, a secondary character from Dead, Actually, which I haven’t read but definitely will be now! But it did read perfectly fine all on it’s own.

Macey is cool, rich and stylish, but her life is far from perfect. She has major family dramas and she has started seeing ghost. Nick, one of the ghosts, shows up claiming he’s not
Anne
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First up this was a Proof book my daughter was reviewing for the publisher when her review was done I pinched it :) there is really no feeling better than reading a book before its released to the public and having a jump on it.

I loved this book and I'm a mum to teens so its suitable for any age. Its set on the sunny Gold Coast and well researched as I can identify with many of the locations immediately but if you can't you will wish you could and its very accurate to the area's mentioned.

The ch
C.G. Drews
I'm a sucker for books about glitzy girls who fight injustices and ghosts in high-heels. What's not to love about that combo?!

I got this as a surprise ARC, so I had no idea what I was in for. A little research (as I do) turned up that this is a companion novel to Dead, Actually. Since Almost Dead is about a secondary character from the first, it's more of a companion then a sequel. I still haven't read Dead, Actually. Did I get confused? Nope. Maybe, if I'd read the first book, I would have got
Margaret Sutherland
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
OMG! Almost Dead is so way more than a YA ramble through the angst of adolescence. Macey certainly has plenty of trouble. Designer shoes and a beachfront mansion don't compensate for an absentee mother and a workaholic father. Even the boys in her life aren't exactly normal. Surfer Boy impersonates the psychic Macey visits in desperation, and Ghostboy is exactly that; a disembodied spirit hanging around while his rock star host lies in a coma, undecided whether to live or die. Add to that a myst ...more
Karen
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*** I won this book from Jess at The Never Ending Bookshelf, via an Australia Day blog hop ***

WOW - what a great read! Almost Dead had my attention from the very beginning, and kept it until the very end. I found it very difficult to put down - which makes things difficult when you have a hungry family!

Kaz Delaney has done a fabulous job of showing the cliques and cultures that teenagers have to deal with, and adding some humour and intrigue to the mix.

I think my next library visit may include
Jess
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Simply Wow. This book had me sitting on the edge of my bed trying to read quicker. Loved it. Kaz Delaney's best book yet :)
Joy
Rating: 3.5 stars

Macey seems to have the perfect life, but behind closed doors, it’s a mess. She’s being visited by ghosts that need her help to move on, and with her brother and best friend away on holiday, Macey’s left by herself to try and solve the mystery behind super cute ghost Nick’s astral walking tendencies. With a stalker attempting to scare her, a new family she never knew about and trying to not fall on her face in front of surf god Finn, Macey’s life has completely tipped upside dow
Kate
Power, love, hate, bad language tears and great shoes. Just another day at RTHS, really…

Macey Pentecost is getting used to seeing ghosts. When the spirit of a cute almost rock star Nick appears in her bedroom, Macey learns that is more than just ghosts out there. Nick isn’t dead. He’s had an accident and is in a coma but feels that he needs to protect Macey from something out there. Threats aside, Macey’s family life is in turmoil. Her mother has abandoned her and her father has some secrets of
Angel - Angel Reads
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC for an honest review.

I really enjoyed Almost Dead, the perfect contrast of humour, family issues, mystery, romance and so much more, made Almost Dead a quite enjoyable read.

I was very intrigued that Almost Dead was set in Australia, even though I don’t live in Queensland I have been to the Gold Coast many times before so I know some places that were talked about pretty well. It felt different than reading a book that is based in America or England I think because I somewhat fel
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: allen-unwin, loveozya
It was witty, charming and fun. Set on the Gold Coast, reading this on a stinking hot Melbourne summer day was a breath of fresh air. It's the ultimate Aussie summer read. Seeing this is my first Kaz Delaney novel, it certainly won't be my last.
Amy (Lost in a Good Book)
At 400 pages I flew through this book. I started at maybe 11pm and by 3:30 am I was done. I kept telling myself I should stop but then I convince myself to read some more and then all of a sudden I'd read another 40 pages and I was telling myself to stop again. And so the cycle continued until 3:30 when I finished the final page.

There is a perfect balance between the paranormal, the mystery, and the every day, and Kaz's writing is so inviting that you want to keep turning the page. Her words dr
Keely
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Almost Dead is the new YA book from Kaz Delaney it is also some what of a companion to her other YA book Dead, Actually with some of the characters re-appearing. We follow Macey who for the last month has been seeing spirits and this time this spirit is insisting that they are still alive.

Nick is the lead singer of the band Pashton that Macey slammed on her blog about the lyrics not being original etc. and now Nick is in a coma after a car accident and people are starting to blame Macey. Nick kn
KatReads
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
The first line of the book starts off:
"It's all fun and games till you find the dead person in your bedroom."

My first reaction was:

Then I was like:

[Where my SPN fandom at?]

So this books is set in the Gold Coast, Australia. I immediately loved it because it's so refreshing to read a book that takes place in Australia!! I live in Sydney but I've been to the Gold Coast and it was pretty accurate. I loved the summer setting and it complimented the story perfectly.

Macey Pentecost was abit of a girl
Abbey
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghost, 3-star-read
I got this book at the official book signing back in 2014 and I met the author, she is a good friend of my Aunt who is also an author (Michelle Douglas), I thought Kaz was a really nice person and she signed my book. I feel bad that it took me to years to get to reading this book.

l really liked this book. It was a fun read and it was really easy to get through even though it was 400 pages and was really thick looking in my hand. I liked the pace and the plot was interesting and this book could
Vanessa Barnes
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Had a few late nights not wanting to put it down.
The characters are great, and the story has a perfect mix of humour, suspense, romance, and drama. You're constantly rethinking who the stalker might be and so in the end, every character has been the suspect 'with the stiletto, in the library'.

Whilst it's main target audience might be YA (which I am well past), it has a great ability to bring out the youth in all of us - as I thoroughly enjoyed it and so did my mum! I have read the fi
Jennifer Kloester
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I read this book while on holiday in Turkey and loved it. Such a crazy fun read and so great to read a YA novel set on the Gold Coast. The plot was intriguing and the 'almost dead' Nick is gorgeous - though not as gorgeous as super-handsome surfer guy, Finn (so cool). I loved the return of Macey Pentecost from the first book 'Dead, Actually' and she really carries this book beautifully. Lots of action and plenty of entertaining scenes, plus a bit of a mystery and some great mixed-up relationship ...more
Pauline
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun to read. Was it ridiculous at times, over the top and just plain silly? Of course - but so funny at times. Throw in a fashion obsessed, mega wealthy but socially conscious princess, some astro-planers, good looking surfers, ghosts, psychics, stalkers and family drama - all in the location of the Gold Coast Queensland and it makes for some very light-hearted mystery reading. Can't wait to read her first book which is a companion read to this one.
janie love
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
cool!yaa
Elvina
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
ok. nothing special. Amazing. AHAHAHAHA
Els (Tragic Romantic)
This review also appears at Quiet Worlds Book Reviews.

Almost Dead is the story of Macey Pentecost, a teenage girl in the suburbs of Sydney with a turbulent home life and a recently acquired ability to see ghosts. When the ghost of a boy who claims not to be a ghost appears in her room and tells her that she is in danger, she is catapulted into a fast paced adventure involved a stalker, a new sister, and a very attractive Surfer Boy.

I bought this book a couple of months ago having read Delaney's
Kirsti
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
For a book that is the second in a series when I haven't read the first, this was pretty enjoyable. Also, for a character as shallow and clothes obsessed as Macey, she is oddly an interesting main character. I can't honestly pinpoint why I liked either the plot or the characters, but this book seemed to supersede my expectations. Also, I hired this from the library. I tend to forget where I get books from, so if I ever check this review I won't go looking for it in my book room.

A fun book, I wou
Lesley
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Not my usual reading fare, but a bit of fun. Not sure if it's typical for its genre, but I found it a little too histrionic in parts. But a good mystery, with a culprit I did not expect.
Sue