Start by marking “Watergirl” as Want to Read:
Watergirl

Watergirl

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Genevieve has one fear: water, one obsession: the quarterback, and an uncanny ability to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Can a foreign exchange student with more than a sexy accent free her from her fear and obsession, or does it take more than love's kiss to save a girl?
Published October 21st 2013 by Whicker Books (first published August 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Watergirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watergirl

Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
5 stars!

What I found in this book was so much more than I've ever expected. Full review to follow.
Sa
FINALLY A LOVE STORY WITHOUT ANY INSTA LOVE!Sorry, if it looked like I was screaming.It's been many books since I read a story with no insta love, where it didn't feel like the author was shoving two characters together instead of weaving a romance.My Sean:description and my Gen :description I loved how the romance slowly crept in without either of them wanting it to.I'm sick of reading stories where the author is trying way too hard, without putting any real respect and affection between the characters.Sean was an i ...more
Star
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review*

Okay so I had to wait 3 days before I was coherent enough to write this. I gave a sincere 5 stars which is pretty unusual. I will try to lay things out logically but I may or may not succeed and it will be as spoiler ridden as most of my reviews, sorry, its a compulsion. If you want a summary -look for the books page, thats not my thing. I will however enthusiastically rant about what makes the book worth reading. :)

To begin:The absolut
Summer
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went in expecting some sort of mermaid novel but found out that this book is so much more. I love it. Perfect amount of suspense and no automatic romance. Although some moments in the book are a bit fuzzy and I wish could be explained more but hopefully, the next book in the series will clear that up.
Mariela Germann
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone that likes mythology-romance
Recommended to Mariela by: We ♥ YA Books!
Shelves: a-z-to-be-read, 2014
I would like to thank We ♥ YA Books! group and Juliann Whicker for allowing to read this book for an honest review!!!!!

Oh my Holy Neptune, Dragons and Sexy Gills!! This book was AWESOME!!!!!, soooooo great, I actually read it twice and I so identified myself with Gen, I totally experienced the same obsession once in high school, but I didn't have a hottie exchange student stalking me around the school.... :(

I love Gen, not loved cuz I still love that Watergirl, she made me laugh, cry, felt all h
Amanda Riga
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terri Lytle
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Celesta Thiessen
I really liked this book a lot. It was suspenseful and totally immersive. I read it all in one day! No sex but highly sensual - not recommended for younger teens. I thought it was a highly entertaining urban fantasy, love story.
Theresa
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, chick-lit
I downloaded this book quite awhile ago and I forgot what it was about. Still I was hooked from the first sentence. I loved Gen and all of her world. Her friends were awesome, even in their ridiculousness. I was cheering for all of their love stories as much as I was for Gen.

It just got better the weirder it got.

I seriously could barely put this book down once I started it. I felt like I was addicted to a drug. I
would get so swept up in the story, that it would feel weird when someone pulled m
Michelle Mcroberts
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 - First I have to start off by saying that I received a free copy of this book for the purpose of an honest review. This is a good thing, because if it hadn't been by an author I trust to spin a good story, I never would have picked it up on my own.

I'm not a fan of most water fantasy. I don't romanticize mermaids and sirens and other such water beings - I usually avoid them altogether. And talking about the Disney movie can have me on a soapbox with a quickness...but I digress.

I enjoyed the
Jessica Tarrats
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Watergirl by Juliann Whicker

Genevieve Castle is Watergirl. That is a nickname she was given by her classmates in middle school after several episodes of almost drowning. The water is drawn to her for some reason and it seems like it is taunting her with every turn she makes.

On the first day of her junior year in high school, she and her best friends, Junie and Flop make a pact. Junie’s goal was to get into a relationship, Flop’s goal was to wear clothing appropriate for the weather and Gen’s wa
Ashley E
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Watergirl really put a unique spin on the (view spoiler) genre for me. I loved it. We start at the beginning of the school year with Genevieve, a girl with a dangerous tendency to obsess over any boy she kisses. So she doesn't kiss anyone. She's only finally getting over the last kiss -- one that happened over 6 years ago. But now the brand new exchange student is showing an unfortunate interest in her.

Gen and her friends were brilliant characters. They really shown out i
Lacy Osman
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING MUST READ!!!
I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Watergirl, by Juliann Whicker, is a story about a high school student named Genevieve, Gen for short or Watergirl by most every one at school. You soon learn the nickname Watergirl comes from all the embarrassing and life threatening accidents Gen is prone to around water. She is deathly afraid to be around water, even showers bother her. Is she drawn to the water or is it drawn to her? She is obsessed
Wellinton
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
M.L. John
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Only in high school can a girl be nicknamed based on her phobia of water.
When Genevieve was a little girl she nearly drowned, and she has been dreaming of death under water ever since. Naturally, the sensitive souls at her school call her Watergirl in honor of her greatest fear. But that’s not the only thing about Gen that makes her feel like an outsider: she has a strong, uncontrollable obsession with the school’s handsome quarterback, Cole. Thanks to his constant snubbing and awful girlfriend
Sofiraindrop
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
First I'd like to thank the author, Juliann Whicker, for her wonderful work.
This book is about a girl and her issues with water, how it has affected every aspect of her life. Her mother drowned when she was a kid, so she hates it, but somehow she always ends up underwater. A hot guy comes to town and helps her overcome her fear.
Do not be fooled into thinking this is a sweet light novel about a girl who is traumatized and the new guy 'save
Kelly
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh. I absolutely adored this book! The plot was a little slow at the beginning but necessary to get to know and understand the characters. I honestly sat down and read until 1 a.m. the day I got it. It's honestly the best book I've read in a very, very long time.

Gen is stuck in a world where water attacks her and she's obsessed with a guy who sees right through her. Until Oliver. The new foreign exchange student comes sweeping into her life after he tried to save her from another drowni
K.M. Carroll
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a solid teen drama/romance with some paranormal elements thrown in.

Gen has a pathological fear of water ever since her mother drowned. She's the school loser, and works at a music store, where she composes playlists the way other people compose journal entries.

Then the romantic engagements start. She and her friends cycle through boyfriends, dropping and swapping, until by the end, it's hard to remember who had who when. There's lots of manly chests, especially once Gen starts swimming l
Yalle Ondarza
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!!!

Juliann did it again. She was able to write a story that is so different than so many out there.

This story has many twists and turns, that keep you reading until the end. The paranormal aspect of the story is one that is not over used by other authors and even the romance aspect is done is a way that it is not seen very often, making this book refreshing. I don't like giving too many details, because I do not want to ruin the reading to anyone. With that said, if you like fantasy, p
Aishvarya
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, r2r
I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely loved it!! It was amazing how everything just fell into place and understood why the things that were happening were actually happening.once I started reading this book I just couldn't stop. First when I started reading the book I didnt understand why Sean wanted Gen ir Genevieve or rather Watergirl(everyone calls her that because she was prone to fall in the water whenever she is near it) around when he acted l
LE Jones
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I have read this book a couple of times now...don't know why I didn't leave a review sooner. I just love this author's work. The plot is so different from other books out there. The characters are well developed and interesting. I love a flawed individual...after all aren't we all? Great tension amongst the lead characters. I loved it and felt comfortable sharing it with my teenagers. If you enjoy unique sci-fi fantasy YA (i guess that's how this should be labeled??) give Ms Whicker's
Toni
I was given Watergirl for free in exchange for my honest review!

Once I started I couldn't but it down! I fell in love with Gen and Sean! Watergirl was a fast paced read, that had me asking questions at every turn! The Author did an amazing job with the plot and keeping you glued to every page. I can honestly say this this one of the best books I have read in awhile! I highly recommend this book to everyone!
Navya
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
*I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.*
Watergirl is a book well thought of and well written too. Once you see the pieces falling together, you understand the story much better. At first, the combination of Sean and Gen was weird, but as the story moved forward and it awkwardness disappeared. The end was a little complicated, but sweet. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves paranormal romance.
Angie Ragozzine
Watergirl is a great YA book full of self-discovery, love, treachery, hot guys, and water. I love the underlying message that things (and people) aren't always what they seem. Genevieve is a teenager who, despite her inability to swim, is drawn to water. She's in for the surprise of her life when she finally figures out why. And what's with her singing? Overall this is a great book and I would highly recommend it.
Suzie
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy and after a couple of chapters I couldn't put it down! Finished it within the day. YA is not usually my go-to genre but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Sort of a cross between Percy Jackson and Pride and Prejudice, the fantasy aspect was fun and done well. I also appreciated that it wasn't super predictable and had some great twists along the way.
Nancy Luebke
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads
This was a nice fantasy suitable for even yery young adults. It was a very interesting concept. While I don't normally read this type, I was very interested in the outcome. The author did a great job of making the characters believeable.
Juliann Whicker
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Watergirl is a light, YA paranormal, a little bit like Pride and Prejudice, only with mermaids. It's a book about true and not-so-true love, and all the things in between.
Juliann Whicker
Oct 08, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I love the new cover!!! Limited edition, get yours today. ;)
Rose Kinsey
1.5 stars.

Oh man, where do I begin? This book is written like middle school fan fiction. We've got cheesy lines, *bad* run-on sentences, things that just don't make any sense, etc... It took all my willpower to finish this book.
For the first few chapters, I decided to highlight the passages I had problems with.

1. I tried as hard as I could not to notice the way she draped herself over Cole named after Cole Porter who he actually used to listen to, but now he was lost to whiny metallic, kill, di
Jenn
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun sci-fi read

I was expecting a sci-fi read when I first started this book. At first, there was no sci-fi. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it when it did turn into a sci-fi novel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Clean Reads: Clean YA mermaid fairytale paperback giveaway! 6 28 Oct 30, 2014 10:26AM
Who's Your Author?: Paperback Giveaway! YA Mermaid Fairytale 1 5 Oct 15, 2014 07:08PM
  • My Amoretto: Guardian Angel . . . Italian Style
  • Majestic Freiks
  • Dragon's Bride (The Dragon and the Scholar #4)
  • Tipton
  • Her Heart's Desire
  • Touched by the Magic (The Academy #1)
  • Freewill (Freewill, #1)
  • Soul Seducer
  • Golden Dunes of Renhala (Renhala, #2)
  • Double Fault (Vortex, #2)
  • The Amish Widow's Faith
  • Beauty and Her Beasts #1
  • The Hawks of Kamalon
  • In the Shadow of Sinai (Journey to Canaan #1)
  • 2:20 (Timeless Trilogy, #1)
  • Contagious (Fluorescence, #2)
  • Sword of Light (Jake Thomas Trilogy, #2)
  • A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships
I am a lover of sunshine and flowers to combat the effects of my somewhat overwhelming imagination. I love daydreaming, reading, and eating watermelon in the bathtub while I write.

My favorite people in the world are my readers, those who 'get' me. I love hearing how I can improve my writing as well as what I'm doing right. I love to connect with my readers and hear your thoughts, and totally fangi
More about Juliann Whicker...