Start by marking “Spencer (Survivor Stories #3)” as Want to Read:
Spencer (Survivor Stories #3)

Spencer

(Survivor Stories #3)

A Survivor Story

It’s been nearly five years since Aaron woke up in the hospital so broken, he couldn’t stand the sight of his own face. The flashbacks no longer dominate his life, but he’s still unable to find intimacy with his lover, Spencer Thomas. With time, patience, and the support of his family, his therapist, and his loving partner, Aaron has figured out how to live
Published March 21st 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 20th 2014)

Jaela
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
* SPOILERS *

This book takes place 3 years after the first one. Aaron and Spencer's story continues all the same, Aaron being broken and Spencer trying to cheer him up.

Although I loved the first book, this one had me having a hard time rating it, so I ended up with 3.5 stars, after originally considering 3 stars. The ending made me add another .5 stars, because it was all I had wanted to read from the beginning. Finally Aaron was healing.

Spencer and Aaron both get job offers, after finishing scho
Monique
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
☆ ★ 5 Utterly Amazing Stars ★ ☆

photo imageedit_4_9278004065.jpg

Even though Spencer is the third book in the Survivors stories, it’s not necessary to read Painting Fire On The Air first (however I do also recommend that book) but it is essential that you read Aaron first. For me Aaron is a classic in the M/M genre and a must read for any fan of gay romance… I have recommended this book to friends and readers countless times… quite simply it’s profound!

It is a rare talent when an author consumes your very soul with their writi
Sheziss

The story practically continues in the point Aaron ended. Yeah, 5 years have passed, but there is a status quo in which the characters have stayed for years. Aaron's mind health has improved, but not all the way to be able to have a complete relationship. I like the sweetness of the characters and situations, and I have a weakness for cute characters.

Aaron and Spencer have a routine, but one day that ends. A company offers a job to both of them, and Spencer accepts. Allen leaves for university,
Andersón.
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This gave me the end i need when i finished the first book.

OMG what a journey people, this book it gave me so many emotions, my feelings, i kind of need therapy right now.

And that wasn't all, oh no, Zach Tyler Appeared in this book. ZACH FUCKING TYLER from Finding Zach I not only had to watch Spencer and Aaron suffer his demons oh no, Zach had to appear and Remember me the beautiful Story from Zach Tyler.

I love it, i fucking love it
Nick Pageant
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Excellent BR with Alona!

This is a great follow up to Aaron. I'm not going to say anything else other than, if you read and loved that book, this book will make you very happy.
Alona
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have Nick to hold my hand!
I'm ready!
Kristalia
Final Rating: 4.5/5
The scars didn't matter. Aaron's body, his heart, and his soul were so fucking beautiful.

Barnaby, if you wanted to kill me, you did a find job putting Zach from Finding Zach in it cause damn i'm now a trainwreck after a storm.

Anyway, this is a direct sequel to Aaron, even if it's happening 3 years later. Which was great, because the flow of the story (or the recovery process for both of them) is more realistic.

Everyone has to find a way to deal with their own trauma, bu
Christy
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-kindle, m-m
To be honest I've waited a long time to read 'Spencer' book three in J.P. Barnaby's 'Survivor Stories' series. Why? Well, book one, 'Aaron', devastated me and book two, 'Ben', brought me to my knees. These are emotional, heart shattering novels, and no matter how beautifully written or how much I love them, they leave an imprint that doesn't go away. Hence my long time in between novels.

"Aaron’s emotional and physical damage stood like a wall between them and their future. It seemed to grow inst
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, read-m-m
Why the hell didn't I have this on my tbr yet.....I've been dying to read it since I finished Aaron last year.

:snoopy dancing:

Only a week to go!

------5 Emotionally Gut Wrenching yet Totally Empowering & Beautifully Written Stars!!

*thoughts soon*
Stephen
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading the tear-jerker Aaron I was in love with both flawed and damaged boys. I just wanted to give them both a hug.

I also loved the relationship between Aaron and his mother and Aaron and his brothers. Even the relationship between Spencer and his dad showed promise but I wanted to know more. I wasn't ready for the story to end. Sure the boys had found each other and were beginning their healing and that was good enough for book one but I wanted to spend more time with these characters
Kristie
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I don't even know what to say, just that I loved every minute of this... even the parts that made my heart hurt, my tears fall. I'd hoped for a return to the lives of these boys. I'd prayed that Spencer would be the one to continue to help Aaron get past his demons. While family and friends bring this story full circle, it's Spencer that is the driving force. He always has been.

The addition of Rowan Speedwell's Zach in this story was perfect. I absolutely love Finding
Dee Wy
Without a moments hesitation, I've given each of the three stories thus far in the series 5 stars. Please Ms. Barnaby, tell me there will be more in this series.

Book three continues the love story of Aaron and Spencer and finally gives Arron closure for the trauma of his abduction. The relationship is put under great strain as the abductors have been caught and Aaron must face reliving the events in front of a jury. Oh, dear God, I can't imagine having to do that. My heart was breaking as these
Brandon Witt
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For books such as these, Aaron and Spencer, books that deal with so much trauma, pain, and real-life issues, the reader must fully trust the author in order to dive into the pages. You must trust that the author will tell the characters' stories the way they really are, they way they were meant to be told--not the way you the reader, or even the author, wants it to be. JP Barnaby deserves that trust. These books are POWERFUL and eloquently written, able to present vulnerability and weakness with ...more
Paul
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just wow, but ***Severe TRIGGER WARNING for rape, torture and PTSD

These books are just so intense and I hope they're not considered YA!!
They are excellent, amazing book, the MC SUFFERING is from severe PTSD that occurred when he was 16 years old.
I can't go into anything without giving anything away.

Barb ~rede-2-read~
Note: This audiobook was provided to me by the publisher through Hearts on Fire Reviews in exchange for an impartial review.

Caution - there's lots of detail in my review so if you don't want to know what happens, don't read the full review.

Once in a while a story comes along that grabs me in the heart and won’t let go. Aaron was one of those stories, and though I didn’t think anything could surpass it, Spencer is at least equal to, if not better than, that one.

I had the privilege of listenin
Erica
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do love these guys, but sometimes it's just exhausting living in their heads.
*Nan*
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to *Nan* by: Dawn
J.P Barnaby, you are amazing! I adored Aaron and it tugged at my heart and made me cry. When I heard you were doing a sequel I was so excited and yet I wondered if it would be as good as Aaron. Well, you didn't disappoint me and I loved this story. It wasn't quite as emotional since it focused more on Spencer but once I started reading I was drawn in immediately it drove me crazy when I had to put it down. Loved the ending and that there was and ending that made me feel good.
LexyLovesBooks
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it

Lots of drama and angsty goodness for people who like that type of storyline.
Lissa
I don't think that this review will be as long as the one I wrote for Aaron, but who knows! :D

Spencer takes place three years after the events of Aaron, but the book feels like it takes place directly after the first book. Spencer and Aaron are stuck in a holding pattern; although Aaron has made a lot of progress with intensive therapy, he still has anxiety going out in public or being in crowds, and he and Spencer still can't have a mutually fulfilling sex life. But now Spencer has an opportuni
Avid Reader
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spencer (Survivor Stories #3) by J.P. Barnaby
M/M Romance
Triggers: Kidnapping, Abuse, Torture, Murder, Handicap, Survivors guilt, drug abuse
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

So I had a difficult time with this story because despite it's name, Spencer, I felt that this was more about Aaron. Yes, Spencer was in this story and we got to see how he handles living on his own, going to work and keeping his relationship alive, but ultimately, this was more about Aaron's
Susan65
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It’s been a long time since I’ve read book #1, “Aaron”, and I thought I might need a little refresher. I was wrong. It took absolutely no time at all to fall right back into this story, this continuation of the love blooming everyday between Aaron and Spencer; and the extreme drama that encircles and dictates their lives.

Even though this is book #3 in the Survivor Series, it is actually more of a sequel to “Aaron” and thus you can easily read both “Aaron” and “Spencer” without reading book #2. H
Wendy Ann
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews - 5 hearts

One of my most fervent wishes after reading “Aaron” was for a sequel that would bring more closure and more happy for the MCs that burrowed into my heart. Apparently, wishes really can come true, because along came “Spencer” and I couldn’t have been more eager to grab it and find out how my boys were getting along in life and love.

While this book is not quite as emotionally intense or heart wrenching as “Aaron”, it’s definitely not a bunch of hearts
Christi Snow
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My Review:
I thought the first book to Aaron and Spencer's love story was amazing, but this one surpassed it. It takes place 3 years after the first book, Aaron, and 5 years after Aaron's horrific attack. In that 3 years, Aaron and Spencer have fallen even deeper in love. Aaron continues to improve, but is still held back by his PTSD and mental issues. Those things have held back Spencer too. He used to have friends and a social life and network of people around him. Now he only has Aaron...and a
Joyfully Jay
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

So Aaron is one of my all time favorites and I was beside myself waiting for this conclusion to Aaron and Spencer’s story. I am thrilled to say that this book did not disappoint and J.P. Barnaby once again crafted a beautiful, haunting, and romantic story in Spencer.

We are now a few years into Aaron and Spencer’s relationship, and these young men continue to be so sweet and lovely together. The love they have for one another is so clear and beautifully depicted. Barn
Melissa
I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel to Aaron. The first book introduced us to Aaron and Spencer, let us walk with them as they fell in love. The sequel takes us 3 years into the future, and Spencer has graduated from college and has been offered a job in the city...which means Spencer needs to move. This broke my heart because it hurt them so much. They feared that this meant the end to their relationship.

And then...the men who raped Aaron and killed Juliette are found and arrested and put on trial
SueM

A strong sequel to Aaron, this story follows on about 2 years later from where Aaron left off. Spencer has finished his degree, and Aaron has continued to make significant progress in terms of regaining his own life...

To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure I was going to enjoy this story as much as I did, and that expectation was set by the semi-misleading blurb. The blurb seems to imply that Aaron has found someone new to lean on, and that someone new may be taking Spencer's place.

Whil
Jewel
I skipped over the second book in this series for the time being. I'll go back and pick it up at some point, but I really wanted to read more about Aaron and Spencer to see how they end up. This was a fantastic conclusion to Aaron's and Spencer's story! If the first book was about hope, this one was about triumph. After 3 years together, Spencer and Aaron have settled into a routine. The problem is that Aaron hasn't broken out of his comfort zone and Spencer is getting restless. They love each o ...more
Kukko
Main Characters: Aaron & Spencer
Key Themes: Disability, Addiction, H/C, Jealousy, PTSD
Location: Chicago, IL

At the end of Book 2: Aaron (Survivor Stories #1) by J.P. Barnaby it was clear this couple still had an uphill battle with their relationship.

Unfortunately, this book makes us experience every horrible moment as the couple try to work through their issues and have some semblance of a relationship.

The story was torture to read and about half way through, I couldn’t take Aaron anymore and wanted Spencer to run as far away from
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Spencer, ah Spencer. I felt bad for him all through out the book. He really showed what unconditional love is. The scene after Spencer went into a gay bar was just heartbreaking.

There's a cameo here from Zach of Rowan Speedwell's Finding Zach

A must read if you loved the first book, Aaron.

I think the next book will be Jordan's story or Aaron's brother, Anthony.

Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Satisfaction.
Completion.
Peace.
That's what the end of the Aaron/Spencer story left me feeling.I can't say much because it would allbe mostly spoiler but Barnaby was able to get these characters to a stable, workable place. A place I knew where they'd have some bad days but they would survive and have many more great days ahead of them. There was a moment at the survivers conference that made me mist up with an array of emotions, and it was so good I looked up from my book and said to he stranger
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Billy's Bones
  • Ethan in Gold (Johnnies, #3)
  • Out of the Blackness (Avery, #1)
  • Salvage (Salvage Stories, #1)
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • Only Love (Only Love, #1)
  • When All the World Sleeps
  • Beggars and Choosers (Beggars and Choosers, #1)
  • Finding Zach (Finding Zach, #1)
  • A Broken Kind of Life
  • City Knight: Working It (City Knight #1)
  • The Coil
  • White-Knuckled Moments
  • Learning Curve (Life Lessons, #4)
An award-winning, best-selling novelist of over a dozen books, J. P. Barnaby is a proud member of the GLBT community both online and in her small town on the outskirts of Chicago. A member of Mensa, she is often described as brilliant but troubled, sweet but introverted and talented but deviant. She spends her days writing software and her nights writing erotica which is, of course, far more inter ...more

Survivor Stories (5 books)
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • Painting Fire on the Air (Survivor Stories #2)
  • Anthony (Survivor Stories, #4)
  • Sophie (Survivor Stories, #5)
“So far he’d been there for three hours, hadn’t gotten a thing done, was heading out for a free lunch, and was getting paid for it. Jobs were awesome.” 0 likes