Start by marking “Discovery” as Want to Read:
Discovery

Discovery

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Discoveries can be dangerous. Discoveries can be deadly.

Nine months ago, Teagan Matthews' boyfriend disappeared and took her sense of stability with him. But when the opportunity to live with her aging grandmother in Salem arises, she decides it's time to get on with her life. A new home, new job, and new friends are adding up to a beautiful summer...

...until a young girl
Kindle Edition, 1
Published October 21st 2013 by Laurelis Press (first published October 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Discovery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discovery

Alisha Tarran
Nine months ago, Teagan's boyfriend disappeared, like..abandoned car in a body of water disappeared. They never found the body and Teagan was destroyed, not least by the hounding of the press. When her elderly grandmother takes another tumble, Teagan jumps at the opportunity to go and live with her in Salem. She's ready to get on with her life and soon she even has a new job and a new BFF in the form of Lark...then there's Seth.

It's all fine and dandy until Lark and Teagan find a girls dead bod
Alysse
Aug 28, 2014 Alysse rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoyed this book. It takes place in Salam, Massachusetts, so you know there has to be some witchcraft in it!

The main character, Teagan, is going to art school and has a boyfriend who suddenly disappears. The book started off super fast for the first few pages and then I felt it started to slow down until you reached the half way point. After that it was really hard to put the book down. I do wish it would of had a little bit more action and witchcraft, but it was a nice quick read and
✿kawehi.reviews
Nov 20, 2013 ✿kawehi.reviews rated it really liked it
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

*I was given a customary review copy of “Discovery” from Brina’s publicist to provide honest feedback.*

“Discovery” was a lovely, lovely read. Albeit, it did have some typical, clichéd new adult and paranormal themes in it BUT... OVERALL the story line, plot pacing, and characters as a whole were amazing and quite refreshing.

Be warned though, the opening scene was quite an eye opener and made me go, “Oh, WOW!”. LOL.

And oh, can I rave about how much I LOVED Seth!! I loved his Irish accent
Gypsy Madden
Oct 28, 2015 Gypsy Madden rated it really liked it
Jen
Sep 18, 2014 Jen rated it liked it
Teagan had a happy life - sure she didn't know where she was going, but she was happy with her boyfriend, and together they had a future she wanted to live .

But that one night when he his car was found, but his body was missing, her whole life turned around.

months of not accepting he's gone, until she finally realizes that he's not coming back for her.

Teagan decided it was time to move on from his memories - School was almost over and her Grandma needed some help around the house. Perfect opp
Stacy Sabala
Aug 26, 2014 Stacy Sabala rated it liked it
Shelves: new-adult

Book Review- Discovery by Brina Courtney

In the first book of the Electi Series, Teagan Matthews is studying art in New York. Her life is going well as she likes her school and she and Jason have been dating for two years. She knows she is lucky in more than one way and is happy. Of course, nothing stays the same and her world is thrown into a tailspin.
She wakes up one morning to learn that Jason has just disappeared without a trace. No one knows where he is or if he is alive. Teagan pretty much
Brittany
*ARC kindly provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

3/5 'I wish I had liked the main character more' stars

Discovery is the typical 'normal girl with a normal life finds out there is something extraordinary about her and is thrust into a life she knows nothing about and wants nothing to do with' kind of book. One thing that really bugged me was that there were so many signs that Teagan was a witch, and yet she either ignored them or was just too dumb to notice. I really wish I like
Tiffany Oharriz
May 01, 2014 Tiffany Oharriz rated it liked it
This was genuinely a tough book for me to review for many reasons… I enjoyed the storyline and thought is was very unique. I liked many of the characters and their ‘story’ but there was a lot missing from this book. But a love for some characters isn’t enough to keep a person interested or invested. The most memorable characters in this book by far is the male love interest Seth and the new best friend Lark. I personally did not like Teagan or her personality. She reacted to situations in a way ...more
Maude
Jul 09, 2014 Maude rated it really liked it
Discovery is quite your average witches’ book. The heroine, Teagan, doesn’t believe one second in supernatural legends, but when strange events and attitudes from people around her become more and more frequent, she is forced to wonder. This causes her grandmother to reveal the truth her entire family has been hiding from her for so long: witches do exist. She even is one of them. And obviously these witches are divided into two opposite clans: the evil ones vs. the good ones.

As you can see, the
Heather Wood
Jul 21, 2015 Heather Wood rated it liked it
Discovery was a fun and witchy read! I love witch books and I thought it was a nice touch that the story took place in Salem. The book was a little slow to start, but picked up about halfway through.

Teagan is a likable character and I found her easy to connect with. She didn’t use her head all the time, but I felt like her sometimes lack of common sense made her more relatable and I didn’t feel annoyed that she was Little Miss Perfect.

I liked the secondary characters too and the romance was swee
Lauren
Jan 12, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it
Overall the premise was extremely refreshing and the story was a quick read. I got caught up in the setting and plot right away and was not disappointed.

Character wise Teagen was a good heroine. Her rationality was believable as well as her emotional interactions with those around her. I think my favorite character in the whole story was Lark though, she really drew my attention in a good way and in reality she seemed like someone I would want to be friends with. Seth is still kind of a mystery
Literary George (For Your Literary Pleasure Blog)
This story is a typical witch novel - Teagan doesn't know she is a witch and no one has taught her to use her powers etc. Initially I was really excited about the book, it has a very sexy opening scene but after that scene I became more and more irate. While the novel ages Teagan at 21 and the listed genre is new adult fantasy, it reads like a YA novel even with the single implied sex scene. I knew Teagan was some kind of witch with a guardian protector after the first "overheard" conversation. ...more
Rachel Marks
Sep 03, 2014 Rachel Marks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-adult-sci-fi
I have been waiting for a very long time for New Adult paranormal romance to start hitting the market. So the second that I heard that author Brina Courtney was releasing Discovery, I knew I had to get my hands on it.

Within the first few pages Brina Courtney draws you into the life of Teagan and the tragedy she endures when her boyfriend, Jason, mysteriously ends up missing. Months later, in order to help mend her emotional scars, Teagan agrees to move in with her ailing grandmother living in Sa
Rach
Oct 23, 2013 Rach rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brina-courtney
{My Review}
Teagan was a young woman who though she was living a normal life with her boyfriend Jason. They we both art students and really enjoyed art and being with each other. Until after one day Teagan woke up to learn that Jason was missing and his car was found in the water but he wasn’t in his car. Her parents told her this and she just couldn’t believe them until she ran out the front door and was questioned by a massive amount of reporters. Jason family had money so they were trying to s
Azahara Arenas (Living in Our Own Story Blog)
I get this book through Netgalley. I requested it because lately Ive been reading books related to Halloween, and Discovery definitely fits in that group: Salem and witches. And also because of the cover, Im hopeless when I see a beautiful cover.
The prologue is a punch in the face. In a couple of pages the author has been able to create a powerful story line and in those few pages I also became Team Jason. The plot hooks you from the very beginning, and I was really enjoying the book till Seth a
Kaitlin
Jan 19, 2014 Kaitlin rated it it was ok
Source: I received a copy of this book for reviewing purposes in exchange for an honest review.

Discovery had a decent story, but I didn't connect very to it very much. I didn't truly get to know the characters, so there didn't seem to be that great of connections between any of them. I also didn't feel the emotions Teagan was feeling--it was like they were more said than shown, so the result were flat emotions that I didn't connect to. Connection is key for me: if I don't connect to a book very
Teresa Medina
Oct 11, 2014 Teresa Medina rated it liked it
From the beginning I was hooked. I wanted to know what happens to Teagans boyfriend. I was not expecting what happened to happen, I thought it would be more suspense mystery not covens and witches. I still loved it, I think there is a hint Jason might be changing his mind about alliances?? I hated the ending because I wanted more, what does Teagan decide? Does Jason change sides? Does Teagan and Seth get the laws changed to be together?
Jess
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Indie Inked and Brina Courtney*

Nine months after her boyfriend's disappearance, Teagan moves to Salem to live with her grandmother.
Things start off well with Teagan easily getting a job and making new friends but when the body of a girl who looks like Teagan is found mysteries come to light.

I did not finish this book. I read until 56% but was so bored that I couldn't read anymore.
I found the writing disjo
Briana Pacheco
Something's not working for me here. The prologue was good but then everything fell apart. Someone else might like it though.

Complimentary copy provided by the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Jamie Turner-norton
Oct 31, 2013 Jamie Turner-norton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Two Words...Totally Amazing!!! I adored all the characters except that .... Celine.... Teagan & Lark are awesome and Seth is totally drool worthy & officially on my Book Boyfriend list. Amazing story line that kept me hoked and left me wanting more. I cannot wait to read more from this author.
Samantha
Feb 28, 2014 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-books
Eh...DNF, sadly. I really couldn't get into the book, which is a shame because I wanted to enjoy it. The concept was decent enough, but the characterization and execution was lacking for me.
Chantale Canadian Book Addict
Discovery is a decent book but not one I would be reading again in the future. Don't get me wrong it is well written but just not one that I couldn't put down.
Maureen
Dec 23, 2014 Maureen rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT BOOK! I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL SHE RIGHTS ANOTHER!
Samb
Oct 16, 2013 Samb marked it as to-read
Looks interesting
Csimplot
Csimplot marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Ashlei
Ashlei marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
K.R. Putnam
K.R. Putnam marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Norie
Norie marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Bluebird1024
Bluebird1024 marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Brina Courtney is a young adult author obsessed with chocolate, crime shows, and fantasy movies. She's spent the last few years as an elementary teacher and a high school cheering coach. She lives in a small town in Pennsylvania with her husband and two very loud, small dogs.

More about Brina Courtney...