Start by marking “A Riot of Our Own: Night and Day with the Clash” as Want to Read:
A Riot of Our Own: Night and Day with the Clash

A Riot of Our Own: Night and Day with the Clash

The inside story of the Clash, one of the greatest rock 'n' roll bands ever - fully revised and updated
Unknown Binding, 272 pages
Published December 4th 2003 by Not Avail (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Riot of Our Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Riot of Our Own

Start your review of A Riot of Our Own: Night and Day with the Clash
Bill
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been said that Ian Hunter's 'Diary Of A Rock n Roll Star' is the best rock book ever written and it certainly is an excellent book. However for me this one just about shades it

This is well written, informative, funny and poignant. Johnny Green spent around three years working with the Clash having joined their crew as a fan. This book is a real fly on the wall view of those years and some key moments beyond (Joe Strummer's death and the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction)

It gives a fantas
Anne Stripeycat Newman
This is the best book I've ever read about The Clash, and I've read most of them. Johnny writes so well, so personally, so lightly, that you feel like you're there. It's a book I've read again and again and would recommend to everyone fan or not. It captures the essence of the band in a way I've not read before or since. Something I think that could only be done by Johnny because he was there, he actually lived it, he was part of the intimate Clash family.
Brendan
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite punk rock books. Green dumps you right into the middle of The Clash, no backstory, and leaves the scene just as abruptly. His writing puts you right there at the side of the stage.
Mark crossey
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one, well written and funny made you feel like part of the Clash family.
Jim
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Johnny Green was a former student and punk rock fan who chanced into working as a roadie for the Clash. He went on to spend the next few years as the band's road manager, stage manager, and sometime driver. Together with his partner "the Baker," he kept the band in guitar strings, tea, dope, and clean socks.

Ian Dury's "sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll" are all here; however, unlike a lot of rock memoirists, Green uses these mainly to establish the overall milieu rather than as the sole theme. The
Spiros
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to believe that Rock meant Something
I stumbled on to this from seeing Johnny Green's interviews in Julien Temple's film JOE STRUMMER: THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN, particularly the outtakes which didn't make it into the movie: Green's boisterous humor and candor in those segments made it inevitable that I would snatch this from out of our bargain bins.
Green was sucked into his job as the Clash's factotum as a fan of punk (his other musical obsessions were ABBA and Country), and, despite prolonged and intense exposure to the members of
Paul Whiffin
Not what I was expecting from a music biography. The book focuses on the bands adventures as experienced from the authors point of view. I prefer music bios to explain the inspiration behind and context of songs, and think this would be fascinating for a band as political as the clash. This was missing from this book and I found that disappointing.
That omission aside, I enjoyed the stories included in the book. I especially enjoyed the afterword, and felt just how close friends the band were by
Jacob Jones-Goldstein
Sep 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Clash Fans
Shelves: music
This is one the only Clash book I would recommend to non-Clash fans as well as Clash fans. It would be hard to find a more entertaining rock book.

Green is a natural writer and storyteller. He's unsentimental and comes off as really just telling it like it happened. It doesn't really matter if everything is just as it was or embellished. Its just a fun read.

This shouldn't be confused as a definitive history of the band or any of the members but is a must read for fans.
Ed Wagemann
Apr 03, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Why Everything You Think You Know About Punk Is Completely Wrong:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gerry LaFemina
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The primary roadie of the only band that mattered tells it like it is from just after the first record comes out till after London Calling when Johnny Green drops out to discover America. Funny, a bit heart wrenching, with amazing strange drawings by Ray Lowry, this book was a romp. It was nothing special, but it was a romp.
Jeff Jackson
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punk-rock-etc
Memoir by Clash roadie/manager of his times with the group circa "Give 'Em Enough Rope" and "London Calling." Captures both the importance of the band and the heady rush of the times far better than the more comprehensive Clash bios. Well written, laugh out loud funny, and offers insightful warts-and-all portraits of all involved.
Khadija
Apr 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who listen to the Clash
I rarely like non-fiction novels or biographies, but tbe voice with which this book was written made it highly entertaining. Loved it, wasn't bored at all, and learned more about a band that I like.
Stephen
Dec 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-biography
This is a great "almost famous" bio of The Clash with a big focus the personalities and upbringings of the members. Johnny Green was on tour with The Clash throughout the important years. His perspective is personal and revealing. Loved it.
George
Sep 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have now read a few biographies of The Clash.....Good read from the'roadies' perspective.....Always amazes me how they remember so much detail :).....But overall does not really add to anything that I already knew
Andrew Wiseman
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, breezy read about a roadie touring with the Clash. Some funny stories and a bit of insight into the band. Not great literature, but if you like the band, it's well worth it, and if not, it's still fun to hear about life with a rock band -- a politically-minded punk band, in this case.
Amanda
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
A fun read about life on the road and in the studio with The Clash. A must for any fan of the band. ...more
Roy
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on the Clash by their roadie Johnny Green . Many personal stories and insights of the short career of the band .
Richard Herbert
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quality read from someone who knew the band as better than they knew themselves.
Adam Hodgins
interesting subject matter but not very well written
Christina
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting look at the Clash from an insider's perspective.
Devowasright
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
absolutely essential for punk/music fans. an inside view from a warm, funny, irreverent, but eternal, fan of The Clash.
Nick Gerrard
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
re-reading it! It's about the Clash! Enough said!
Phil

• Punk Rock: An Oral History
  • Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys
  • Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk
  • The Clash: Strummer, Jones, Simonon, Headon
  • Vicious Circle (Joe Pickett, #17)
  • Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs
  • On The Road With The Ramones
  • England's Dreaming: Anarchy, Sex Pistols, Punk Rock, and Beyond
  • We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews
  • Thanks a Lot, Mr. Kibblewhite: My Story
  • If It Bleeds
  • Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground, 1981-1991
  • Back From the Brink: The Autobiography