Start by marking “The Navigator's Treasure” as Want to Read:
The Navigator's Treasure

The Navigator's Treasure

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Past and present weave together as a centuries-old Caribbean legend comes to life on the sun-drenched beaches of modern-day Curaçao.

In the first decade of the 16th century...

a crew of Spanish conversos – Jews forced to convert to Christianity to evade the Inquisition – sail to the New World with the Great Navigator, Christopher Columbus. Their discovery of Mayan gold lead
Paperback, Caribbean best-seller now available on Amazon!, 322 pages
Published October 2013 by Nubble Mt. Press

To ask other readers questions about The Navigator's Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Navigator's Treasure

Michelle Thiel
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read it while relaxing on the beach in Curacao. Fun!
Alice Delury
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: historical mystery lovers
An unusual and engaging new book just came my way. It’s titled The Navigator’s Treasure and is set in the island of Curacao. The central mystery involves the search for Columbus’s lost gold which myth holds he secreted there. The hero, J.J Van der Horst, a cop for 20 years from a small town in New Hampshire - a divorce and a passionless long-term relationship behind him – decides to relocate in a place that might remind him of his Netherlander roots. He randomly picks the Dutch possession of Cu ...more
P. Jurasik
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the Best Summer Reads of 2014 -- a near perfect vacation companion.

" The Navigator's Treasure " has it all and just a little more...believable contemporary characters who speak with intelligence and wit ( imagine that ?! What a joy ) in an adventurous and confounding mystery that's skillfully interwoven into a historical, eye opening and true backstory. What a ride !
This book was given to me on a four day business trip to Galveston Island -- I found it almost impossible to put d
Stephen Palma
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having visited Curacao and reading the book, I found it so fantastic that you could easily to be with the characters and joining them in their travels. Knowing Curacao well and all the places/spots described in the book really drawn me further into the book, the plots. But even if you never been to Curacao it you went to any Island you can get the same feeling og belonging to the adventure.

I love the different plots are going along at the same time and how the author switch you to the other plot
Dirk Van
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given the opportunity to preview and review “The navigator’s treasure” by David and Cheryl Monahan.
This was a pleasant treat!
It is not only an interesting adventure, but at the same time historically and culturally correct, fast spaced and well written, with just the right amount of humor and romance in between.
It is very plausible there may indeed be some treasures still hidden in the former pirate’s nest of Curaçao and this book might just help you on your way to find them!
But the real
Susan Engelmann
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In this, the authors first novel, DC Monahan sweeps us off to Curacao in the Carribbean, a beautiful island about 40 miles North of Venezuela. This colorful tale is a very successful merging of history, mystery, and contemporary times with just the right amount of humor to give us a comfortable ride through the adventure. Shades of Michner with just a touch of Carl Hiassen thrown in. The characters are both believable and memorable, leaving us wondering what they are up to now. For anyone who lo ...more
Joseph Wesolowski
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having had the opportunity to spend some time in Curacao, the Navigator's Treasure is an enticing journey through its history and present day life on this Caribbean island paradise. Once you start reading, you will have no desire to stop until you finish. If you have never been to Curacao, then this story will make you want to go. If you have spent some time there, then you will wish to go back. The author provides the reader with a very engrossing storyline as well as detailed insight into the ...more
Curacao Sunshine
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As someone who lives on the island of Curacao, I had sooo much fun being able to visualize the characters travelling around the island even underwater! The story line moves quickly even though there are many plot lines occurring simultaneously. I enjoyed the writer's syntax, dialogue, character and scene description. I highly recommend The Navigator's Treasure especially if you can read it on a beach on Curacao. You too can then explore the many places the book visits.
Sue Robinson
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dave & Cheryl Monaghan have created a believable story of suspense and emotional regret. The story weaves together fiction with nonfiction as well as events of the past with the present. The authors cleverly show us what happens to a secret treasure through the centuries and create a present day adventure. I liked the different voices used to enhance the credibility of the characters in different eras. I would like to visit Curaçao!
Carol Burns
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of historical fiction
Recommended to Carol by: spouse
It took a few pages to get into the story but the moment the female heroine said (in a talk to a stuffy male group of academics), "Christopher Columbus was very likely a Jew" I was hooked. It sped along the closer it got to the end and I read the last 2/3'rds in a single sitting. Can't wait for the next offering. BTW, A visit to the historical locations in Curacao is on my bucket list.
Dauryne
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, LOVED this book! The characters are so well developed that you feel like you know them. Very intriguing story lines. The various adventures intertwine in such a way that I had a hard time putting the book down. The descriptions of the island are spot on. You can close your eyes & visualize the settings.

Put this book on your MUST READ list!
Rhonda Wesolowski
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was recommended to me by a friend. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Passed it on to my husband who also loved it. To me it was a lot like the writings of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and it took me to the beautiful Caribbean while providing a thrilling storyline.
Linda Pitt
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Interesting characters and compelling story set in an exotic Caribbean locale. An entertaining way to experience some of the history of the island of Curacao.
Ivan
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very pleasant reading.
Great sphere creation of the island of Curacao; I should know, as as live in Curacao.
Really worth reading !!
Nancy
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love it and I couldn't put it down.

Wish I could spend more time with JJ and Grainne.
Lawrence Colwell
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nicely done in introducing the characters in their own time frames to set the stage for the treasure hunt. Intriguing interaction leading to suspenseful conclusion. Great character development.
Charlotte English
Barbara Bruinooge
Sep 19, 2017
Dylan Quann
Oct 03, 2017
D.C. Monahan divides time between a small town in northern New Hampshire and a remote fishing village on the island of Curaçao, where the discovery of a link to a long-lost Jewish heritage led to a flight of the imagination realized in The Navigator’s Treasure.
More about D.C. Monahan