Start by marking “Lobsters” as Want to Read:
Lobsters

Lobsters

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  2,812 Ratings  ·  626 Reviews
Sam and Hannah only have the holidays to find 'The One'. Their lobster. But instead of being epic, their summer is looking awkward. They must navigate social misunderstandings, the plotting of well-meaning friends, and their own fears of being virgins for ever to find happiness. But fate is at work to bring them together. And in the end, it all boils down to love.
Published June 5th 2014 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about Lobsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lobsters

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5) I enjoyed this, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting it to be. Also it got kind of dirty at certain points and I'm not a huge fan of that kind of content. Full video review to come!
Stacee
May 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I am not sure what I just read.

The entire book was about losing your virginity. Both MCs are obsessed with it and there are various attempts and random hook ups and all of it was just odd.

I didn't care for these characters. I wanted to jump into the book and punch Stella. And maybe Hannah because she never stood up for herself.

I kept reading because there were a few humorous parts here and there and I was desperately hoping it was going to get better. I've seen so many people talking about it
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars So freaking funny. There's a hysterical moment in this book when the main character is described as being "paralytic with giggles" and that is exactly how I felt! I kept trying to smother my laughter so I wouldn't wake Mr.Darling.

Stuff the book includes that's great:

-- Girl friendships and how they can be both rock steady comforting and shockingly poisonous
-- Affectionate adult/teen relationships
-- School and career
-- real connections (you totally get why people dig each other) and
Caroline
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

video review (+some of my own awkward stories) here -> https://youtu.be/NzpJbnbrbG8

FIRST things first, this book is not for everyone! It's the story of two English high school students who are trying to lose their virginity before they go to college. It does not shy away from anything to do with sex so do not come into this book expecting it to be tame. It isn't tame at all and I loved it. This book is full of the same cringey scenarios as shows like The Inbetweeners (watch it if yo
Tatiana
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, romancelandia, ya
I had wanted to read this because of the promised laughs, and I did get a fair number of those. British humor works better for me than American in general. The "love" story though started cute, quickly devolved into the familiar forced-obstacle-driven scenario with a bit too much horniness and angst for my taste. I wish the authors stayed away from drama and kept things light and fun all the way through. After all, the main premise of the book is very conducive to light and fun - basically it's ...more
Joost
Lobsters is een heerlijk ongemakkelijk verhaal, een prima zomerboek! Lees hier mijn recensie: http://nerdygeekyfanboy.com/recensie/...
Jess
Just as hilarious, relevant and brutally honest as ever. I'm amazed by how convincingly Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison write as contemporary teenagers.

It's always refreshing to read UK YA and this is so accurately British. I think pretty much all teenagers will relate to the stress of UCAS applications, the stupid pressure of having to decide what career you want to pursue by the time you're sixteen, D of E and the trauma that was the trio of HPV jabs.

The presentation of losing your virginity befor
Shannon
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
In het begin vond ik het maar een beetje een raar boek en ik had geen idee waar het verhaal nou eigenlijk naar toe ging. Toen ik eenmaal wat verder was toen las het lekker door en was het heel erg leuk om te lezen, ook al is het een vrij voorspelbaar boek.
Elisa
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
In het begin dacht ik dat het hier enkel over, en sorry voor mijn taal maar ik quote enkele begrippen: ontmaagding, neuken, vingeren, foef en triootjes ging maar naarmate ik me daarover heb gezet is dit best een leuk verhaal! Het zijn twee verhaallijnen die af en toe samenkomen waardoor het boek snel las (1dag!) en zoals de titel doet vermoeden is het verhaal soms zeer extreem awkward maar vooral hilarisch! Ik kwam op sommige momenten gewoon niet meer bij, die hun gesprekken alleen al! Ik ben we ...more
Esther
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would definately buy this book!
You could really feel that the parts about Sam were written by a guy and the parts about Hannah by a woman. Loved the sneek peak into the boys-world and the way the girls are around each other is recognizable.

Already knew the story was gonna have an happy ending, but I did wonder WHEN. Sam and Hannah keep messing it up together.

Hannah and Sam are awesome characters. The other characters in the book fit really well in this story.
There is humor, romance and a fast
Amy
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Zeker een echt zomer boek! Heerlijk vol drama, liefde, ruzie, gevoelens en "de eerste keer". Echt een aanrader, je leest hem zo uit! <3
Jay G
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

One night at a party, Hannah and Sam meet accidentally in a bathroom. They strike up a conversation but are quickly interrupted before they even learn each others names. As time goes on, they can't stop thinking about one another but believe they will never see each other again. Until they do... repeatedly... and its more than awkward.

This was super cute and fluffy, just what I needed
Diana
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Honestly, I didn't have big expectations when I started reading this book. It was a cute summer read, but sometimes, I found the story kinda annoying, because the main subject was revolving around "losing virginity". Anyway, I liked - almost - all the characters, and their summer adventures. I think you could read this book during winter and you could still feel like there's summer outside. This book really makes you think about summer, about sun, about sea, about sand... I recommend it to every ...more
Odette Knappers
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
OMG this story is so cute! I adore it!
Lisa
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed-books
Super leuk en luchtig boek voor in de zomermaanden. Heb erg genoten van de akward moments, veel gelachen maar ik vond alleen het einde tegenvallen. Dit had wel wat leuker en groter gemogen, hierdoor 4 sterren.
Yolanda Sfetsos
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-contemporary
My daughter borrowed this for me the other day and because I have SO MANY OTHER BOOKS to read, I wasn't planning on reading this yet. Then I picked it up yesterday morning, and finished it today.

So. There you go.

Hannah and Sam go to different schools and have different friends. Yet they meet by accident in her friend's bathroom during a party. Where she was supposed to be losing her virginity to someone else. She doesn't, and the ease they felt towards each other never fades from their minds.

Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: party, alcohol, drugs, attraction, sex.

After I'd heard so many awesome things about this book, I was sure that I would enjoy it.

But I didn't.

I just wasn't like this as a teen. I was a different kind of crazy, not the festival and holidays abroad type. I found it difficult to relate to the characters.

It made me realise that I'm getting pretty sick of reading about money, even if there was a token plea by Lucy that her Gran didn't have much money, yet still got her a Tiffany's necklace.

Wh
ღ Suus ღ (pages.and.books)
Ik had op het begin niet gedacht dat het zo'n leuk boek zou zijn. Maar dat was het wel.

Heb je zin in een lekker luchtig boek met niet al teveel diepgang dan is dit lieve verhaal iets voor jou!

De hoofdpersonen in het boek vond ik wat jonger overkomen dan ze daadwerkelijk waren.

Het bracht me een beetje terug naar iets van 13 jaar geleden met m'n beste vriendinnen op feestjes/ stappen / vakanties. Praten over jongens en de verliefdheid daarbij. Lang geleden hihi.

Het boek leest heerlijk weg. Heb e
✦ Daniëlle ✦
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, dutch, favorites
Ik vond Lobsters echt een heel erg leuk boek. Duidelijk gericht op de lezers in hun tienerjaren, maar voor twintigers alsnog leuk om te lezen. Het boek was heel erg grappig, ik heb meerdere malen hardop gelachen.
Volledige recensie: http://bit.ly/1KRMd5D
Inge (ReadInge)
Ik heb een paar keer echt keihard moeten lachen om dat boek. Gênant dat anderen dan aan me vroegen waar ik zo om moest lachen. Dat waren namelijk erg awkward momenten....
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Visit Stay Bookish for more book reviews!

Hopeless romantic that I am, I'm all for love stories. In fact the more awkward, the better. Not to mention the funnier, in this case especially. I went into A Totally Awkward Love Story (also known as Lobsters in the UK) expecting a fun read, and that's exactly what I got with Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison's novel.

Although the pink, cutesy cover suggests a heartwarming "puppy love" kind of story, A Totally Awkward Love Story is a little more mature, with it
Rashika (is tired)
Actual rating 3.5

***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Reasons you need this book

1. It is FUCKING HILARIOUS. It's also just got a very different sense of humor found in American YA novels. The straight-forward, British humor made me LOL a lot. Also British humor in general is pretty great. Lots of LOLs to be had.

2. It is Sex-positive. It isn't just sex-positive in that it has one sex scene. This book is full of teenagers who think a LOT about sex (because TEENAGERS DO THA
Samantha
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebooks
Dit boek werd vorig jaar gekozen als een maandboek van YA & Chicklit NL. Toen kon ik er niet aan beginnen, aangezien ik echt gefocust was op de 2015 reading challenge. Toch lonkte dit boek al tijden naar me. Met al die positieve reviews en die maffe titel, moest ik er ook maar eens aan gaan beginnen.

Lobsters volgt twee perspectieven: Hannah en Sam. Beide willen ze het liefst zo snel mogelijk de ware vinden, want ze lopen wel erg achter op hun leeftijdsgenoten. Dit gaat natuurlijk niet zonder
Rachel Finney
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so cute. It was the perfect beginning summer read, and it put me in such a blissful mood. It wasn't anything earth-shattering or heart wrenching, but it made me remember why contemporary reads are so wonderful in the summer. I think the authors' backstory also made me appreciate this book, not to mention the dual point of views were absolutely adorable. More dual point of views pleeeease!
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it

Lobsters is a shining new gem in Contemporary UKYA. I only had to read the first chapter to know that I was going to love this book. When a book makes you genuinely laugh out loud several times during the first chapter you know you’re on to a winner! I haven’t laughed so hard over a book in a very long time.

Lobsters is told in alternating chapters between Hannah and Sam – two teens who are trying to lose their virginity, come out of their shells and find out who they are in the summer b
Eric Boot
Goed. Waar zal ik beginnen? Oké, het was best een vreemd boek maar wel leuk! De schrijvers draaiden er niet omheen. In veel boeken is het zo van 'ja, ze hebben seks maar precies daar gaat het lampje uit en breekt de verhaallijn af.' Lieve auteur, jouw lezers zijn echt geen celibatair levende monniken/nonnen hoor! Als je dat ook vind is Lobsters echt iets voor jou! Bovendien is het 1) lekker dun en 2) leest het lekker snel zodat je het zo uit hebt. Ondanks dat het echt een zomerboek is las ik het ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
If you loved Non Pratt's Trouble , I've found the next book for you! Are teenagers in UKYA more realistic because they're mostly read by readers who can often identify with the characters' Britishness? Or are they just more realistic? That's what I want to know.

Lobsters is utterly brilliant at portraying teenagers. It's incredibly honest and I read things in this novel that I've never read before, which sounds really dramatic, like something quite catastrophic happens in the story, but it reall
Min Li Li
Mar 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hayatımda okuduğum en vasat kitaplardan biri,daha doğrusu okuyamadım,belki ileride düzelir diye diye 150 sayfa okudum ama sonunda dayanamadım yarım bıraktım. *-*

Kitabın ana konusu şu; lise sona giden bir grup kız arkadaş bir araya gelmiş ve bakireliğimizi nasıl, kimle kaybedelim.Aynı şekilde bir araya gleen bir grup erkek arkadaşta aynı dertten muzdarip.Kızların düşünce yapısı aşık olana kadar bakire kalınır mı ?Hatta ana kız karaterin bununla ilgili bir cümlesi de vardı ya neyse. *-*

Kızın aşık
Sarina Bouwmeester
Lobsters is een hilarisch verhaal over Hannah en Sam die beide niet als maagd naar de universiteit willen gaan. Door dat gegeven en de rest van de flaptekst dacht ik oprecht dat het echt een boek vol seks, liefde et cetera was. Gelukkig viel dat best mee, er kwamen ook andere dingen in voor, en de verhaallijnen vond ik heel erg leuk. Soms gebeurden er dingen waarvan ik dacht: 'oh nee wat erg gebeurt dit echt?', zo ongemakkelijk wow, maar dat maakte het juist ook heel grappig. Het einde was wel t ...more
Bonnie-Anne Carmichael (Love Triangles Are Fucking Stupid.)
Wow. That was one of the worst books I have ever read. Awful, horrible people doing awful, horrible things to each other. I can't believe I actually enjoyed this in the beginning. I feel disgusted.

I HATED this.
Young Adult bookc...: Lobsters 9 22 Dec 28, 2015 02:08PM
  • The Worst Girlfriend in the World
  • Remix
  • Salvage
  • Cruel Summer
  • Blue (Blue, #1)
  • Songs About a Girl (Songs About a Girl, #1)
  • What's Up with Jody Barton?
  • Dead Romantic
  • Wildlife (Six Impossible Things/Wildlife #2)
  • Boys Don't Knit (in Public) (Boys Don't Knit, #1)
  • Love Song
  • Nick and Charlie
  • Land
  • How Hard Can Love Be? (The Spinster Club, #2)
  • The Last Summer of Us
  • The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex
  • Dead Jealous (Poppy Sinclair, #1)
  • Close Encounters of the Girl Kind (Geekhood, #1)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Tell The Wolves I'm Home
    $12.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
“Look at Ron and Hermione. Obstacles everywhere. But did Hermione give up on Ron when he was dating Lavender Brown? Did Ron give up on Hermione when he was knocking about with that Bulgarian Quidditch bloke? Did they let the pressure of tracking down the final few Horcruxes tear them apart? No. All the drama they went through made it all the more poignant when they finally got together.” 20 likes
“...I suppose clichés wouldn't be clichés if they weren't based on some sort of tediously predictable truth.” 6 likes