Start by marking “Lobsters” as Want to Read:
Lobsters

Lobsters

Sam and Hannah only have the holidays to find 'The One'. Their lobster. But instead of being epic, their summer is looking awkward. They must navigate social misunderstandings, the plotting of well-meaning friends, and their own fears of being virgins for ever to find happiness. But fate is at work to bring them together. And in the end, it all boils down to love.
Published June 5th 2014 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about Lobsters, please sign up.
Cassandra what if it’s us by becky albertalli and adam silvera

Start your review of Lobsters
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5) I enjoyed this, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting it to be. Also it got kind of dirty at certain points and I'm not a huge fan of that kind of content. Full video review to come!
Stacee
May 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I am not sure what I just read.

The entire book was about losing your virginity. Both MCs are obsessed with it and there are various attempts and random hook ups and all of it was just odd.

I didn't care for these characters. I wanted to jump into the book and punch Stella. And maybe Hannah because she never stood up for herself.

I kept reading because there were a few humorous parts here and there and I was desperately hoping it was going to get better. I've seen so many people talking about it
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars So freaking funny. There's a hysterical moment in this book when the main character is described as being "paralytic with giggles" and that is exactly how I felt! I kept trying to smother my laughter so I wouldn't wake Mr.Darling.

Stuff the book includes that's great:

-- Girl friendships and how they can be both rock steady comforting and shockingly poisonous
-- Affectionate adult/teen relationships
-- School and career
-- real connections (you totally get why people dig each other) and
Caroline
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

video review (+some of my own awkward stories) here -> https://youtu.be/NzpJbnbrbG8

FIRST things first, this book is not for everyone! It's the story of two English high school students who are trying to lose their virginity before they go to college. It does not shy away from anything to do with sex so do not come into this book expecting it to be tame. It isn't tame at all and I loved it. This book is full of the same cringey scenarios as shows like The Inbetweeners (watch it if you h
Tatiana
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2016, romancelandia
I had wanted to read this because of the promised laughs, and I did get a fair number of those. British humor works better for me than American in general. The "love" story though started cute, quickly devolved into the familiar forced-obstacle-driven scenario with a bit too much horniness and angst for my taste. I wish the authors stayed away from drama and kept things light and fun all the way through. After all, the main premise of the book is very conducive to light and fun - basically it's ...more
Jess
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just as hilarious, relevant and brutally honest as ever. I'm amazed by how convincingly Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison write as contemporary teenagers.

It's always refreshing to read UK YA and this is so accurately British. I think pretty much all teenagers will relate to the stress of UCAS applications, the stupid pressure of having to decide what career you want to pursue by the time you're sixteen, D of E and the trauma that was the trio of HPV jabs.

The presentation of losing your virginity befor
Diana
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Honestly, I didn't have big expectations when I started reading this book. It was a cute summer read, but sometimes, I found the story kinda annoying, because the main subject was revolving around "losing virginity". Anyway, I liked - almost - all the characters, and their summer adventures. I think you could read this book during winter and you could still feel like there's summer outside. This book really makes you think about summer, about sun, about sea, about sand... I recommend it to every ...more
Esther
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would definately buy this book!
You could really feel that the parts about Sam were written by a guy and the parts about Hannah by a woman. Loved the sneek peak into the boys-world and the way the girls are around each other is recognizable.

Already knew the story was gonna have an happy ending, but I did wonder WHEN. Sam and Hannah keep messing it up together.

Hannah and Sam are awesome characters. The other characters in the book fit really well in this story.
There is humor, romance and a fast
Jay G
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

One night at a party, Hannah and Sam meet accidentally in a bathroom. They strike up a conversation but are quickly interrupted before they even learn each others names. As time goes on, they can't stop thinking about one another but believe they will never see each other again. Until they do... repeatedly... and its more than awkward.

This was super cute and fluffy, just what I needed
Odette Brethouwer
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
OMG this story is so cute! I adore it!
Temi Panayotova
Not what I imagened the story will be like. It was kind of those awful American pie movies but more awkward. Waste of time.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: party, alcohol, drugs, attraction, sex.

After I'd heard so many awesome things about this book, I was sure that I would enjoy it.

But I didn't.

I just wasn't like this as a teen. I was a different kind of crazy, not the festival and holidays abroad type. I found it difficult to relate to the characters.

It made me realise that I'm getting pretty sick of reading about money, even if there was a token plea by Lucy that her Gran didn't have much money, yet still got her a Tiffany's necklace.

Wh
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Visit Stay Bookish for more book reviews!

Hopeless romantic that I am, I'm all for love stories. In fact the more awkward, the better. Not to mention the funnier, in this case especially. I went into A Totally Awkward Love Story (also known as Lobsters in the UK) expecting a fun read, and that's exactly what I got with Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison's novel.

Although the pink, cutesy cover suggests a heartwarming "puppy love" kind of story, A Totally Awkward Love Story is a little more mature, with it
Yolanda Sfetsos
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-contemporary
My daughter borrowed this for me the other day and because I have SO MANY OTHER BOOKS to read, I wasn't planning on reading this yet. Then I picked it up yesterday morning, and finished it today.

So. There you go.

Hannah and Sam go to different schools and have different friends. Yet they meet by accident in her friend's bathroom during a party. Where she was supposed to be losing her virginity to someone else. She doesn't, and the ease they felt towards each other never fades from their minds.

Rachel Finney
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so cute. It was the perfect beginning summer read, and it put me in such a blissful mood. It wasn't anything earth-shattering or heart wrenching, but it made me remember why contemporary reads are so wonderful in the summer. I think the authors' backstory also made me appreciate this book, not to mention the dual point of views were absolutely adorable. More dual point of views pleeeease!
Stacey (prettybooks)
If you loved Non Pratt's Trouble , I've found the next book for you! Are teenagers in UKYA more realistic because they're mostly read by readers who can often identify with the characters' Britishness? Or are they just more realistic? That's what I want to know.

Lobsters is utterly brilliant at portraying teenagers. It's incredibly honest and I read things in this novel that I've never read before, which sounds really dramatic, like something quite catastrophic happens in the story, but it rea
Rashika (is tired)
Actual rating 3.5

***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Reasons you need this book

1. It is FUCKING HILARIOUS. It's also just got a very different sense of humor found in American YA novels. The straight-forward, British humor made me LOL a lot. Also British humor in general is pretty great. Lots of LOLs to be had.

2. It is Sex-positive. It isn't just sex-positive in that it has one sex scene. This book is full of teenagers who think a LOT about sex (because TEENAGERS DO
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it

Lobsters is a shining new gem in Contemporary UKYA. I only had to read the first chapter to know that I was going to love this book. When a book makes you genuinely laugh out loud several times during the first chapter you know you’re on to a winner! I haven’t laughed so hard over a book in a very long time.

Lobsters is told in alternating chapters between Hannah and Sam – two teens who are trying to lose their virginity, come out of their shells and find out who they are in the summer b
Bonnie-Anne Carmichael (Love Triangles Are Fucking Stupid.)
Wow. That was one of the worst books I have ever read. Awful, horrible people doing awful, horrible things to each other. I can't believe I actually enjoyed this in the beginning. I feel disgusted.

I HATED this.
Alice Oseman
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Absolutely hilarious. Made me wish my sixth-form life was as awkward and had that much pining for hot boys.
Maddie
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Definitely an 'awkward' love story, but also repetitive, predictable and generally made me feel uncomfortable.
Jessica
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
When I first looked at this cover, I definitely felt awkward. I don't know why, but the fingers are just creepy and I just didn't want to look at it for too long. Definitely fitting for the title of this novel! When I read the synopsis, I thought I'd give this one a shot and see if the author could really create an awkward love story that I could fall in love with.

Hannah is tired of searching for her lobster and just wants to find the one already. The last place she expects to find him is in th
Paloma Villasenor
“Eighteen is supposed to be the age when you become an adult. When you are complete. How can anyone feel finished by now? I don't even feel started. I haven't done anything, I haven't been anywhere.”

*1.5 STARS*
This is by far one of my worst reading of 2016, and I'm kind of sad because I really was hoping that at least I would've enjoyed it.

The book in general is about a girl, Hannah, who is ready to lost her virginity, nor because her friends are telling her, but it is in fact becau
Natalie
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This one is definitely going into my favourite books list!

If you haven't read this book already, you really must. It's only been released just this month and I was lucky enough to find this book when browsing in my local bookshop. The cover enticed me to pick it up and I absolutely loved this book!

It's basically about a girl, Hannah, and a boy, Sam, who are on a mission to find "The One" or their Lobster (which I learnt from Friends what that was about). They don't want to go to university virgi
Robin Stevens
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and utterly filthy, this book made me feel all the horror, embarrassment and confusion of being 18 all over again. Ugh. Being 18 was awful. This book, though, is brilliant.
carolina ☾
Mar 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Realistic Sex scene in a Young Adult book YEAH
Sarah Hadd
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I got this book at a 50 cent book sale and had zero expectations, I just liked the cover. I was so pleasantly surprised. This one was laugh out loud funny at times and totally relatable, even though I’m older than these characters. A fun, light and fluffy book!
Nada Hosny
lovely, actualy very lovely!
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
*3.5 stars*

A cute, amusing romance story. I really liked Hannah and related to her. I loved the Britishness of this book, being a Brit myself, because most YA contemporary books are American. Nothing incredible but a fun, decent story and I would recommend.
Cynthia
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Afterwritten: https://afterwritten.wordpress.com/20...

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Lobsters is a pretty funny and delightful story about two awkward teenagers who are trying to lose their virginity before they go to university.

Hannah has been looking for her lobster since Year 8, when she and her friends found out that lobsters mate for life. It’s now the summer between leaving school and starting uni, and she still hasn’t found her lobster. Or lost her virginity, for that matter. Sa
Young Adult bookc...: Lobsters 9 24 Dec 28, 2015 11:08PM

• Serious Moonlight
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • You Say It First
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • The Season of You & Me