Start by marking “Fábulas selecionadas: La Fontaine” as Want to Read:
Fábulas selecionadas: La Fontaine

Fábulas selecionadas: La Fontaine

As clássicas fábulas do francês La Fontaine recebem uma edição inédita no Brasil: são 36 fábulas em verso traduzidas pelo poeta Leonardo Fróes e ilustradas pelo renomado Alexander Calder, em edição bilíngue espelhada. Acompanhadas da tradicional moral, as histórias são alegorias sobre o comportamento humano e suas imperfeições, expondo as contradições do homem. As ilustraç ...more
Published 2013 by Cosac Naify (first published 1668)

To ask other readers questions about Fábulas selecionadas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fábulas selecionadas

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Fables that point out human weakness without ever becoming negative; as such the lessons taught are taught with the hope that a weakness perceived can be improved upon with diligence.
Lucinda
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
An exquisitely sophisticated, diverse collection of classic fables tailored for a contemporary audience.

These beautifully sensitive and evocative tales are an impressive anthology {of translated} works for the modern age. La Fontaine matches the original subtlety and inventiveness of each fable, whilst injecting a fresh outlook that’s respectful to such classic works. This selection ranges from 1668 to 1693 and contains a full range of subjects and themes, each accompanied by majestic engraving
Althea Ann
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean de la Fontaine is a must-read for anyone interested in folktales and fables throughout history.

The 17th-century poet took various tales from Aesop, Greek myth, and various other sources and set them to verse. Here, they appear in English translation. While the presentation of the stories and their social commentary is witty; I didn't find the 'poetry' of the language to be that engaging - the rhyme could be distracting, and the phrasing was often clunky. I don't know if this has to do with
Jonathan Sutton
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been said of la Fontaine's Fables that they appeal to three ages: the child finds joy in the story, the student in the art with which it is told, and the adult in the reflections on life that it conveys. As always, both child and adult will be satisfied with Christopher Betts' translation, but, as with all foreign language texts in translation, students will be left wanting more.
I am loath to criticise a translation of a text - particularly poetry - that I haven't read in the original, so
Arthur Fan
i first came into De La Fontaine's fables
when i was in p1 or p2 in Lyon..

copied a poem on one page,
then drew a nice picture on the page across.
in my notebook, with a waterman for kids, wearing a blouse for kids, incase we got ink on us.

i had a great childhood in Lyon, will never forget those days...
Stuart
'The Raven's role is storm-diving'

'For the world of fiction's full of virgin spaces,
And every day our authors plant new spaces'
D.L.
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fiction, verse, fable
Wisdom always seems best when packaged in versic fables full of talking animals and steeped in ironies.
Kate
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, world-lit
The fables are written in verse, and I'm sure it's better in the original French. The translator made what I'm sure is a heroic effort, but the English versions don't always work--they're usually fine, occasionally excellent, and sometimes utterly awful.

The fables themselves were mostly familiar to me--I recognized them from Aesop. A couple were less familiar, but there are so many in Aesop I may just have forgotten them. I was charmed once or twice.

I'm going to put the rest of this review behin
Mike
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
La Fontaine’s light verse -- versions of fables plundered mostly from ancient sources -- is clever and enjoyable, transforming the sometimes bland prose originals into entertaining nuggets for modern readers of all ages. He is clearly aiming these updated fables at his French contemporaries, with sometimes direct references to nobles and political figures. Just as in his source material, the lessons often still ring true through the centuries. Although I’m not overly enamored with the fable genr ...more
Emerson Vieira
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A tradução é muito boa, mas os textos em francês contêm muitos erros. As ilustrações não me parecem agradáveis nem recomendáveis ao público infantil. Se não fosse por isso, essa coletânea seria um clássico como La Fontaine é na língua original. São fascinantes a simplicidade dos versos empregados e a profundidade que eles atingem nas fábulas.
Leonardo
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-digital
Las de Esopo me gustaron más. Esta no es la versión completa de las fábulas de La Fontaine.
Andrea
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Certaines étaient difficiles à comprendre. J'ai aimé la morale de la dernière. C'ètait intéressant d'en reconaitre que j'avais entendu quand j'étais enfant.
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
(I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaways).

(This review may contain spoilers).

To be honest, I don't tend to read poems very much. I sometimes find it difficult to relate to the style, even though they can sometimes be easier to read than narrative.

I've not actually read any of Aesop's Fables, but I know one of the more famous ones. However, I could clearly see the inspiration that the original author of these fables took from Aesop, while still making these fables
Rhys
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My favourite writer of fables. La Fontaine turned the work of Aesop, Phaedrus, Bidpai and other fabulists into sparkling clever poems. He also invented some fables of his own. In verse form the fable seems more delightful than in its prose manifestation. This book is a selection of his fables and comprises about one quarter of all the fables La Fontaine published.

La Fontaine published his fables in six 'books'. There is a definite break in style, form and theme between the first six books of fab
Tom
One can never have too many La Fontaine translations -- I have 3 so far -- especially when accompanied by great artists like Dore. (Chagall and Grandville editions are also quite wonderful; all the more so for their wildly different visions of these stories.) Craig Hill translation is delightful, but the accompanying Sorel illustrations are too tame for my taste.
Sophia
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a lot of fables that are very entertaining and inst resting . contains a lot of many short french stories. Also the book is written in poetry form where sometimes i get stuck with some words. There are many 19 century french illustrations. Also in these fables, animal like the fox, lion and hare express that human nature is evil of sins of pride & greed
Kiravorn
Feb 25, 2014 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have recently received a free copy of this book through goodreads first reads.

I very much love to read myths fables and old fairy tales. So it is always interesting to find new imaginings of them. I anticipate that I will thoroughly enjoy reading this book.

...Review to follow...
Heath Morber
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Betts's translation is wonderful! He uses a somewhat erratic rhyme pattern (ex. aa bb cd cd effef, etc.) throughout, but the freedom he allows himself means that no rhyme ever felt forced. It's a joy to read these aloud. Highly recommended for any lover of Aesop and fables in general.
Katie
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely translation and the artistry was beautiful.

I am not normally one for this type of book but I enjoyed it immensely.
Lauraathie
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creo que es gracias a él y a Christian Andersen que amo la literatura infantil.
Simon
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good edition of classic fables with fine illustrations.
TBruno
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading these fables in verse reminded me A LOT of Cordel Literature usually written in the Northeastern region of Brazil.
=]
  • 501 German Verbs
  • Voyage dans la Lune
  • Grimms' Tales for Young and Old: The Complete Stories
  • The School for Wives / The Learned Ladies
Jean de La Fontaine was the most famous French fabulist and one of the most widely read French poets of the 17th century.

According to Flaubert, he was the only French poet to understand and master the texture of the French language before Hugo. A set of postage stamps celebrating La Fontaine and the Fables was issued by France in 1995. A film of his life was released in France in April 2007 (Jean