Start by marking “A Candle for a Marine (Always a Marine, #18)” as Want to Read:
A Candle for a Marine (Always a Marine, #18)

A Candle for a Marine

(Always a Marine #18)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  71 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Tormented by the question of 'what if...'

Home for Hanukkah, Sergeant Isaac Janko has never forgotten the baby his girlfriend gave up for adoption years ago. But he didn’t realize how angry he still was....

More than time separates them....

A chance meeting at Temple brings Zehava Elbaz face-to-face with the first and only man she's ever loved. She sees a deep and hidden pain
Published October 27th 2013 by Decadent Publishing (first published October 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Candle for a Marine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Candle for a Marine

really liked it 4.00  ·

Michelle
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Holiday Love Story, Steamy Hanukkah Love Story,
Eight years. That was the length of time that separated Zehava Elbaz and Marine Sergeant Isaac Janko. Eight years and the fact that she gave their baby up for adoption. I have read many holiday-themed reunion stories over the years. NOTHING prepared me for the poignant reunion in A Candle for a Marine. As I wrote this review, I continued to dry my tears.

When Isaac joined the Marine Corps, he was ill-prepared to receive the news that his high school girlfriend, Zehava was pregnant. When she reach
Jen
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
No... Can it be?! I've reached the end of the "Always a Marine" series?! Well, not really the end since there's still another book slated for release but I mean, the end of the series so far... Waaaaah! Need. My. Marine. Fix. NOW! Paging, Heather Long... Please, please, please tell me there are MORE stories to come. M/F, M/M, M/F/M, F/F... I don't care! Just tell me there are other stories in the series for me to look forward to!!! *fingers crossed*

"A Candle for a Marine" is the 18th book in the
Heather
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Candle for A Marine is a well-written, realistic love story between Isaac and Zehava. Eight years after leaving home for boot camp Isaac returns to celebrate Chanukah with his family. You learn that the reason that Isaac has not returned is his old girlfriend Zehava. They were high school sweethearts who grew up together in the same suburb of Dallas. Isaac, knowing he needed to make something of himself and feeling a higher calling enlisted in the Marines. While he was in boot camp Zehava tell ...more
Sheri
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Candle for a Marine felt like coming home, I was right there with Isaac as he walked into temple and found peace. Ms. Long evoked that feeling of home and peace that quickly for me, and then she took me on this journey. It was a journey full of both pain and love and I fell in love with both Isaac and Zehava. They’re both hurting and I felt every bit of their pain.

I highly recommend this holiday story, Ms. Long captures the feeling of the holiday and of two people who through all the pain and
Donna
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There aren't many Hanukkah romances out there. I can think of maybe one (Light Me Up by Rebecca Royce) I am sure there are others but they are few and far between so I was thrilled when I found out that Heather Long was going to give it a try. This, like so many of her Marine stories, will run you through a gamut of emotions. This is a second chance love story that is enhanced by the season. It is obvious that the author has done her research and has given the characters and the holiday her resp ...more
Adriana Caceres
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is another Amazing Marine story. Both characters live with so much hurt and sadness for eight years. The wish for them to heal and encompass everything that is Hanukkah is strong in the story. It also deals with such a wonderful and little discussed topic of adoption. It was nice to see it in the positive light that those who've been adopted see it in as well. Its hard not to wish the best for these characters.
CarolKat
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful story set during Hanukkah.

This is Issac's story as he returns home to celebrate with his family for the first time in eight years. He knows he will have to face his ex Zehava at some point, it's a small community. He's not sure of his emotions where she is concerned but he's sure the time has come to figure it all out.

Zehava blames herself for Issac's anger. She was the one who gave their child away. Although she lives with the heartbreak of doing that, she also knows it was th
Sassy Moms Say Read Romance
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Adri's Review:
Heather Long has managed to do it again. She’s written a Marine that will melt your heart with a story that will have you weeping first from sadness and pain then again from joy. Oh and let me just say… I don’t cry easily… but this had me pulling out the box of tissues.

Isaac and Zehava have so many unresolved issues at the beginning that you are saddened by everything they have had to deal with.

Instead of dealing with the pain of loss together, Isaac blames Zehava for so much of i
Nadine Bookaholic
This was a great second chance at love story. High School sweethearts separated by the feeling of betrayal and stubbornness but never getting over the fillings they had for one another they need to make amends with what they have done and try to move on. Hanukkah plays the biggest part in this story, the eight days help them connect once again.
Darcy
This one ended on a sweet note, but I had my doubts at the start. Isaac had so much anger at the start over the past. At first glance I thought he was mad at Zehava, but as time went on you realized that he was just as mad at himself. I liked how through the lighting of the candles Isaac was able to forgive both of them and realize what was really important.
Eva Millien
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeep-diva
The eighteenth novella in the Always a Marine series is a heartfelt and emotional journey to Happily Ever After. The author does a fantastic job of bringing hope and different holiday traditions to life for the readers to enjoy.

See my full review at:
J.D.
It was a good book, but I didn't like the fact that everyone in the book is right about everything but the hero, who is wrong all the time and guilty for everything, at least it seemed like it to me.
Tamara
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a really powerful and moving story of forgiveness, acceptance and the power of love. A Hanukkah story not to be missed! Shabat Shaloam, Heather Long.
Nov 16, 2013
May 01, 2015
Becky Deini
Nov 22, 2014
Michelle
rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2019
Michele Ahmed
Oct 30, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
USA Today bestselling author Heather Long likes long walks in the park, science fiction, superheroes, Marines, and men who aren’t douche bags. She writes snarky women tangled in romance as hot as Texas summertime. From paranormal historical westerns to contemporary military romance, Heather might switch genres, but one thing is true in all of her stories—the characters drive the books. When she’s ...more

Always a Marine (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Once Her Man, Always Her Man (Always a Marine, #1)
  • Retreat Hell! She Just Got Here (Always a Marine, #2)
  • Tell It To The Marine (Always A Marine, #3)
  • Proud to Serve Her (Always a Marine, #4)
  • Her Marine (Always a Marine, #5)
  • No Regrets, No Surrender (Always a Marine, #6)
  • The Marine Cowboy (Always a Marine, #7)
  • The Two and the Proud (Always a Marine, #8)
  • A Marine and a Gentleman (Always a Marine, #9)
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (Always a Marine, #10)