Start by marking “Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1)” as Want to Read:
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1)

Vampire Academy

(Vampire Academy #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  506,760 ratings  ·  21,149 reviews
Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies . . .

Lissa Dragomir is a Moroi princess: a mortal vampire with a rare gift for harnessing the earth's magic. She must be protected at all times from Strigoi; the fiercest vampires - the ones who never die. The powerful blend of human and vampire blood that flows through Rose Hathaway, Lissa's best friend,
Published November 2013 by Razorbill (first published August 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Academy, please sign up.
Lila Wayne the guard and the princess are like BFFs despite their differences, cultures, responsibilities and heirarchy. However the guard falls in love with…morethe guard and the princess are like BFFs despite their differences, cultures, responsibilities and heirarchy. However the guard falls in love with another of her same kind - another "male" guard. (less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
54,990 books — 190,690 voters
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. CastBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Best Teen Vampire Fiction
389 books — 4,715 voters

More lists with this book...

·  506,760 ratings  ·  21,149 reviews

Faye, la Patata
So I watched the movie aaaaaand I hated it. I also made a comic review of the thing on the blog! But I'll also post it here for your reading pleasure. Warning: a lot of Dimitri shots.

08s

QUICK RANT:
<--- THIS is the hot Dimitri?! THIS?! WHO THE HELL IS THIS. WHO THE FUCK IS THIS CRETIN. HE IS NOT THE DIMITRI I EXPECTED.

I'm not sure I can endure the movie now.

~End rant~

And Bubbles makes her comeback yet again! I've been a fan of Richelle Mead since I started her Game of X series, bu
manda
21 Apr ‘19
Eight years and this review is still attracting mad fangurls. So as a pre-empt, I highly suggest you not read this review if you can’t handle negative criticism of books you love. Be thus warned.

14 Apr '13
Future commenters: if you disagree with the review, that is perfectly fine and normal. If you wish to add your own thoughts of the book, that's also perfectly fine. But please keep the ad hominems and accusations (and not just directed at me, but also other commenters) at home.

Eve
Ruby
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire fans
So many people talk about Twilight and miss this super great book......

I liked Twilight, but I had a hard time dealing with Bella. I thought she was just too...girly for some having with vampires. I wanted someone that could stand with them in a fight and not cower behind....Enter Rose. She is the bodyguard to Lissa, a vampire princess that must attend school and keep out of the clutches of the dark side. Rose is aggressive and hard headed, sometimes risking Lissa while trying to prove she is st
Nick
____________________________________________
“Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies.”

____________________________________________

description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

Okay so after billions of people recommending this to me,I decided to read it,to give it a try.To be honest I didn't except good things from this book,and I am glad I got some.

What I expected :

A vampire school

Vampires making out with each other

A forbidden love

An evil Vam

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
*2017 lowered rating to 2 stars because realistically 3 was generous
Lola
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like this series because everything makes sense.

Unlike other urban fantasy series featuring vampires. *cough* Twilight *cough* It’s an old subject, so I won’t dwell on it, but let’s just say that there’s nothing terrifying about having your vampire body sparkle like you’re covered with diamonds. It’s ridiculous.

But this book isn’t. I find the concept of having vampires be protected by guardians very interesting. For once it’s the bad guys that need protecting—though they’re fairly okay all thi
Kat Kennedy
Vampire Academy is a difficult book to review.

On one hand, it is a variation on the norm and Rose is definitely not the usual character occupying the myriad of PRNs these days. The writing style is blessedly free of awkward construction and mistakes. In fact, the writing isn't too bad at all.

The secondary characterizations are quite good for the most part, and well rounded. The pacing is agonizingly slow at the beginning of the book and doesn't pick up until the last fifty pages. The lore behind
Stacia (the 2010 club)
I gave this book 3 stars on my first read. I raised my rating after reading and liking it more on my second read.

Addition : Why I think you should read VA instead of Covenant

The before : September 2010

I was a stubborn brat when it came to reading Vampire Academy. Part of me honestly thought that a vampire series couldn't impress me after experiencing how oversaturated the genre had become with depressing and lackluster characters and stories.

Because of this, I went into my first read of VA
Libro Joven
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best. Vampire. Saga. EVER. Just that. I dare anyone come and tell me otherwise. It is funny, witty, the plots are amazing, and the characters are great (well.... maybe Lissa is not great, but hey, she is just the one flaw). If you like vampire books, you must read it. If you hate vampire books, you must read it. What the hell, whether you like or dislike books in general, this book is a MUST HAVE. Because I say so (OK, me and thousands of people just like me) Twilight? What the hell is Twilight?
~Poppy~
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you."

description

“Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies.”

This book is amazing!! I loved Rose and Dimitri!! I loved Lissa and Christian!! But I also loved Rose and Lissa! Vampire Academy not only has mystery,adventure and great romance that we all love but it also shows us the power of the friendship which we don't see a lot in books!

So let's start from the beginning!!!
We have
Emily May
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

So I said I wouldn't read this after being warned about 10 million times that they stop being worth the bother after book 3. I said it repeatedly, earnestly... and then I caved. I mean, what do you do when you've nothing ahead of you but a day at the library and when you turn around...dum, dum, dum... there it is, the internationally praised series that you swore you would never... but then what if you felt different?... how can you expect to deal with not finding out for yourself? So I guess I
Chelsea Humphrey
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Emily May
Shelves: library
Guys, I had a really good time reading this one. I'm way out of the intended demographic, but color me pleasantly surprised that this was leaps and bounds above Twilight, although I'm not here to hate on those books. As far as YA books go, this one featured one of my favorite platonic female friendships, and I'm thrilled for the portrayal of girls supporting girls as a way to build up lady power, instead of every female vying for attention in meaningless competition. Part of me wants to write a ...more
~Poppy~
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1) Vampire Academy ★★★★★

If you want to see my review for the first book click here!!

2) The Turn and the Flame ★★★★

"I will never endure this sort of pain again. If I’m able to love someone else one day, I will do whatever it takes to hold on to him. No matter the cost."

This is a story from Tasha's point of view and we learn what happened the day that Christian's parents become Strigoi! I will admit even though I didn't like Tasha (view spoiler)
emma
I am...shocked.

I am astonished. I am astounded. I am...surprised. I am dumbfounded. I am, to my core, #shook.

I reread a book that I liked in 2014...and I still liked it.

If you’ve read my reviews before, or like, once accidentally chanced upon me yelling about something and immediately ran away, or did whatever the Internet equivalent of immediately running away is (hitting “back” real fast?), then you will know something about me to be true.

I NEVER like ANYTHING. Especially not books that I like
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I expected a cringe-worthy vampire book and turns out this was good!

Very teen-angsty but I will definitely continue the series.

PS Don't watch the movie... it was painful.
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
5 Kick-ass ★'s

I have read this series so many times and to this day it is and forever will be one of my all time favorites EVER! I don't know how anyone could read this book and not get completely addicted... I mean the writing, the characters, everything about this book is perfect!!

I love Rose ♥ She is seriously the best fucking heroine I have ever read. Rose is a Dhampir and Dhampirs protect th
E
Dec 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-novels
I decided to read Vampire Academy because it was on a list of books most likely to inherit Twilight's throne (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-an...) .

Before I harp on about the first Vampire Academy book, I want to comment on the series as a whole: these books are really readable and quite good fun. They pull fewer punches than a lot of other supernatural novels, and the series gets quite a bit darker as it progresses. The characters encounter myriad trials--mental instability, torture, betra
Giulia
This is a negative review. If you enjoyed the book, that's great! Sadly, I didn't, so please respect my opinion as I will respect yours.

THE RANT BEGINS.

Chapter One. We're presented with a pretty confusing situation, without knowing who's who and what is going on (I almost thought I had by mistake picked up the sequel, because it felt like I was missing out on something.) But at least we have what seems like a kick-ass main character, Rose, and a strong female friendship between her and Lisa, s
Leonie
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A girl most likely, and pretty much any girl at that :P
Recommended to Leonie by: No one! I found this on the book shelf and it looked awesome!!
This book was totally wicked! I ♥ it!!! :P

I hope you can feel my joy for reading this book once you have read it too! It was awesome!

I loved how you got totally engrossed in it and then it had a total shocker ending! But, I'm not telling you what that is! :P
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I still loved the book the second time around, although I did drop one star as I'm a bit different now. I always get nervous rereading my old books because I'm afraid I will hate them, BUT, I want to slowly reread everything to see what I'm going to keep. Fighting cancer changed a lot and hoping it doesn't come back has changed a lot of things.

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
ambsreads
Vampire Academy is a series I am very familar with. This was a re-read for me considering I have basically been reading these books every year since I was 13 (meaning six years). Coming back to this series is like a warm hug as every character is familar, the plot is familar, the tone is familar. I was glad this re-read was successful as a lot of re-reads I have done this year have left me disappointed.

Vampire Academy is a well-known series, whether becasue the covers are ugly or because of the
Taneika
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally decided to bite the bullet and pick this series up. I'll be honest, I did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did!
So easy to read and Rose was a spunky, outspoken heroine and I love that Richelle Mead wasn't afraid to make Rose so sexually confident and confident in herself too. It was SO REFRESHING

Full review to come (maybe.)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Little run aways stars

******************Spoilers*********************

I don't know what it is about teenage vampire love stories, but I eat them up like chocolate! I devour every angsty teen vampire book series I get my hands on. Vampire diaries, Bloodlines, Vampire Academy, Crave, and of course the one that started it all for me, Twilight!!!!!! Yes I am that mom, the Twimom! And I have no shame!

After reading Twilight for like the 9th time and not getting my fill of vampires, (this was years
mark monday
Dear Vampire Diary,

wait, why did I write that? "vampire" diary? maybe cause everything in my life is vampire, vampire, vampire! best friend vampire. training to protect vampires. actually protecting vampires. I'm half-vampire. I go to a Vampire Academy for chrissakes. vampires, vampires, everywhere. and now apparently I have a vampire diary too. hello, unconscious. argh! ok enough of this bs, I'm getting annoyed and need to work it out by working out. maybe this diary thing isn't going to work o
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 Vampire Academy - ★★★

It happened, people. I finally did it. I have officially read Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, and I have mixed feelings about it.

After years of you guys begging me to read this book, I have finally managed to dig into this vampire world with Lissa – the Moroi (mortal) vampire and Rose – her guardian, sworn to protect her.

These two best friends are on the run, after Lissa’s family has been killed. Now, they unwillingly
Rachel E. Carter
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: br
Why did I avoid this book like the plague? Well, I have a confession: I hate (most) vampire books and I only picked this up because I had the paperback lying around and I was sick of it's unread status mocking me........ but this was a kicka$$ exception. Rose was a perfect heroine and I liked how unapologetic she was and her friendship with Lissa. I'll admit I was rooting more for Lissa and that hot broody jerk (what was his name? I just forgot) than Dimitri-Rose, but I still loved both. Can't w ...more
Sabrina
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The greatest and most powerful revolutions often start very quietly, hidden in the shadows.
Remember that.”

I can’t believe how long it took me to read this book.

I LOVED IT

I missed reading books like this.
So many feelings for just one book.

AND I HAVE 2 OTP THAT BETTER BE ENDGAME!

Some characters here already have my heart, and this book was so short (at least it felt that way) I wanted more, but then I still have more 5 books to read, so that satisfies me (it better).

Literally everyone i
Buddy-read set for mid December with my fellow castle dreamers, the delightful Jess & the wondrous Kat (Her review is made of WIN!)!!

Vampires! Vampires! Vampires!

UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME!

2.5 Stars

So, as you might have guessed by that star rating Vampire Academy was a miss for me. Not entirely a miss but a miss nonetheless.

My Grievances:

Girl-on-Girl Hate: I hate this shit so much... and it’s everywhere in this novel!! Every time I turned a page I was slapped in the face with it! Mia hat
alyssa
Mar 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 1-star, 2017-reads
DNF @ 100 Pages

Buddy Read with Melanie | | Belle | | Bethan | | Emmy | | Alyssa

I tried. I really did. But it's so boring and my eyeballs are literally falling out of my sockets.

~~~~~~~~~~

I've watched the movie a long time ago and thought it was shitty so I think it's about time I pick the book and see for myself if it's better than the movie!
Emma Giordano
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Why does Memorial Day weekend exist? Holidays are screwing up my Amazon shipping speed so I won't get my box set until Wednesday! This book was amazing and really something I needed right now. It's right up my alley for fantasy and although sometimes the characters got on my nerves, I really love the world and the plot and it was all together a great story. Sometimes the writing felt a bit young for me but that doesn't make it any less of a great novel. I know vampires are kind of "out", but if ...more
Dimitri's and rose's kids! 53 264 Jul 18, 2019 08:14AM
Looking for a new read! 2 10 Jun 03, 2019 07:43AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead - Restarting May 10th 2019 356 467 May 20, 2019 05:58PM
Addicted to YA: Lissa Dragomir (Vampire Academy) 8 391 Apr 09, 2019 04:08AM
Is Lissa a goodfriend to Rose ? 7 52 Mar 08, 2019 06:31AM
Vampire Academy movie 12 47 Mar 03, 2019 01:07AM
The Perks Of Bein...: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead 43 570 Feb 15, 2019 07:21AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)
  • Out for Blood (Drake Chronicles, #3)
  • The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)
  • Cryptic Cravings (Vampire Kisses, #8)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • Stargazer
  • Speak
  • My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3)
  • Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
  • Dark Visions (Dark Visions, #1-3)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f

Vampire Academy (6 books)
  • Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)
  • Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)
  • Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)
  • Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5)
  • Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6)
“Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies.” 4939 likes
“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think you're beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes.”
4872 likes