Start by marking “The Chain” as Want to Read:
The Chain

The Chain

Award-winning suspense novelist Robin Lamont presents The Chain – the first book in The Kinship Series.

A passionate animal welfare investigator is drawn into the lives of a damaged family in a small town that depends on a meat packing plant for its survival.

Jude Brannock has been summoned to Bragg Falls to meet with a whistleblower who has documented the dangerous conditi
Published October 4th 2013 by Grayling Press

To ask other readers questions about The Chain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chain

Peacegal
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-gifts
This well-crafted suspense novel kept me up late. Not only is it a page-turner, it also centers around an issue of great interest to me: the treatment of farmed animals and the efforts to advocate on behalf of their welfare.

Jude Brannock, an investigator with a Washington-based animal rights organization, finds herself traveling to a small, struggling town whose main employer is a huge slaughter plant. Jude has come here to meet a fed-up worker who couldn't take one more day of the culture of a
Margaret
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Through tears of anger and outrage, I force myself to learn about animal cruelty in hopes of doing my part to end it. Robin Lamont's latest novel, The Chain (The Kinship Series) is an excellent story that shows how animal cruelty is overlooked in the face of corporate greed. Jude Brannock, the passionate, young animal investigator, is about to uncover horrible secrets of a sleepy little town where most of the residents are employed by a corrupt, inhumane slaughterhouse. The Chain is a page turne ...more
Julie Levenhagen
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So excited to have a fiction series that combines mysteries with animal rights! This is really well-written, and Jude is an interesting, complex protagonist. Watched an interview with the author and apparently the next book will have Jude going undercover and dealing with wildlife services. Really looking forward to it.
Yvonne Loveday
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good read. Loved the heroine. Loved how the author explored not just the animal atrocities, but the impact on humans relying on the industry.
Lauren Rev
Wendy
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martin Rowe
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again a disclaimer: I know Robin Lamont well, and am kindly thanked for my contributions to her work in the acknowledgments. I was a fan of IF THY RIGHT HAND—an astringent, brooding, and closely observed thriller that delved into the very turbulent and disturbing waters of parenting and child abuse—and have high hopes for THE KINSHIP SERIES. THE CHAIN, the first in that series, explores the death of a whistleblower at a pig farm in rural Bragg Falls and the investigator, a young woman calle ...more
Christopher Locke
Fascinating Read, Vital Message!

I haven’t read a suspense novel in so long, I forgot how fun they are. And this one has the added benefit of shedding light on an important social justice issue.

With all the secrecy by the meat industry about how they mistreat both workers and non-human animals in their factories, it’s refreshing and fascinating to see behind those closed doors. It’s also easy to root for our hero, Jude Brannock, with her tireless passion to help those that don’t have a voice.

In t
Jeffrey Cohan
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: veganism
Many other social movements have turned to the arts and literature to advance their causes and to communicate their messages. In this respect, though, the animal-rights/veg-advocacy movement has been lagging, with the notable exception of Morrissey.

This makes Robin Lamont's novel "The Chain" a particularly worthy accomplishment.

"The Chain" is a heckuva page-turner that should interest any fan of suspense novels.

But it is especially effective as a well-researched, accurately described account o
Fletcher
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want more kinship!

I liked this book so much more than I thought I would. It is a fun, easy read even for those who have never had an interest in animal issues. The reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because I would have liked a little more character development, aside from the main character, Jude. Other than that, I really enjoyed is book and I am looking forward to the next one in the series.
Nell Nicholas
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read for animal lovers of all ages who love a good mystery. The character development in this gripping novel creates a page turner like no other. I can't wait to read Lamont's next story.
Ashley Chew
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Great book for any animal lover! I can't wait to read more in this series!
Jen
Jenny
Dec 17, 2013
J.L. Fields
Jan 04, 2017
Broadway actress - private investigator - Assistant DA - and now novelist.

Robin Lamont worked as a Broadway actress and singer, playing lead roles in Godspell, Grease, and Working. Her original cast recording of "Day by "Day" and her film version of the song have drawn fans from around the world. Utilizing her acting experience she became an undercover investigator for a PI firm in New York City