Start by marking “The Joy Of Science” as Want to Read:
The Joy Of Science

Robert M. Hazen

The Joy Of Science

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
English novelist and scientist C. P. Snow classed certain scientific ideas with the works of Shakespeare as things every educated person should know. The lectures in this series explore the fundamental discoveries and principles of the physical and biological sciences--physics, genetics, biology, astronomy, chemistry, meteorology, thermodynamics, and more--providing a comp ...more
Published 2001 by Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about The Joy Of Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy Of Science

Gary
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good guide to science. It's obvious that this lecture series acted as a template for his book, "Science Matters" (which I have read and liked very much). The lecture is better than his book because it was easier to follow since each lecture is only 30 minutes long and is usually complete within itself, and he just seemed to explain things better in the lecture than the he did in the book.

The lectures cover all of the sciences with special emphasis on geology and minerals when appropriate.
Ross
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an audiobook, part of the Great Courses Series, which I downloaded from the Audible Service.
The Professor/Lecturer opened saying the course was intended to give non-scientists a broad overview introduction to the physical sciences.
Since I was trained and worked as a professional scientist I already knew everything in the lecturers, but I really was entertained by the course because I am so interested in the material.
I think every literate adult should also be interested in this overview
Johannes Bertus
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I skipped some of the very technical physics stuff, but once he gets to astronomy, earth sciences and biology, this is truly excellent.
Kevin Siepel
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent introduction to the basics of science.
Nik
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Wow what a robust overview of the scientific method, from its history to the amazing contributions of understanding it has given us toward the known universe we inhabit, this lecture did not disappoint. Becoming scientifically literate should be one of the first goals of anyone who seeks truths and an understanding of the reality we experience.

One of my personal life goals is to learn and understand as many truths about this world and my life as I can. Truth can be hard to pin down and to ident
Joann
One of the many Great Courses series offered by The Teaching Company. This one is in 6 sets I believe. Each set contain 6 CD'S with usually 2 lectures on each CD. Of the courses offered on DVD, the # of discs may vary. I usually get the CD courses from my library, and so far I've enjoyed almost all the ones I've ordered. This is one of the best. There are a few lectures I've skipped, because I wasn't interested, but you can always backtrack, and re-listen as you wish. One of the best features is ...more
Pravin Kumar
Not as good as Bill Bryson's, A short history of nearly everything. These are actually video lectures. With only audio, little difficult to picturise. Every time, I have to watch related videos in YouTube to understand more. Looks like it was done in twentieth century. Little outdated.

Still, it has many topics to offer. It would definitely make a good video lecture.
Daniel
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the accompanying book to the Teaching Company course of the same name. Robert Hazen is a delight, extremely enthusiastic and earnest about science, infectious as all get out. Under his guidance, science truly is joyful.
Ron Banister
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should get a five for general exposition. Extremely informative and particularly for the layman but also clarify many areas for someone who is quite familiar with science.
Anders Risager
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
even though it's old and it's the second time I've read/listened to it, it still captivates me. .. great listen.
B Kevin
A bit dated in parts, especially about genetics, but still great
Koen Desaeger
Oct 22, 2012
Alex
Mar 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Robert M. Hazen, Senior Research Scientist at the Carnegie Institution of Washington’s Geophysical Laboratory and the Clarence Robinson Professor of Earth Science at George Mason University, received the B.S. and S.M. in geology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1971), and the Ph.D. at Harvard University in earth science (1975). The Past President of the Mineralogical Society of Americ ...more
More about Robert M. Hazen...