Start by marking “The Thief (Archetype, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Thief (Archetype, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Thief (Archetype, #1)

Once upon a time, two girls from opposite corners of the globe collide in a deceptively sleepy town in the deep south. Their unlikely friendship becomes the catalyst that unravels Havenwood's most closely guarded secrets, and will change their lives forever.

Jul Graham doesn't know what to expect when she's sent to live with her grandmother after her father's abrupt
Paperback, 2, 308 pages
Published October 9th 2013 by MJ Lane Publishing (first published June 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thief

Start your review of The Thief (Archetype, #1)
Anastasia Antonova
Понравилась мне эта книга. Особенно последние процентов эдак 30. Не смотря на тот факт, что штампов в ней с самого начала предостаточно. Хотя это даже не раздражало.
Единственным минусом книги (хотя это смотря как посмотреть), являлось то, что второстепенные персонажи получились намного круче главных. Чего только стоил Хемлок и Кей Сакамото.
Советую почитать всем, если хотите немного отдохнуть. Не возлагайте на книгу больших надежд, она буквально на один вечер: прочитал и забыл. Впрочем, вечер
Tyler Snell
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Throughout the past ten years or so I have read countless YA series. Ones that follow only one main character to series like Crabtree's that follow multiple. I have to say, normally I shy away from more than one narrator in a story but "The Thief" threw me for a loop. Each of her characters had a special something that hooked me. I was intrigued from the get-go by Jul's quiet nature, Camille's rebellious tendencies, and, of course, Mac's good heart and humor. Not to mention my crush over Rhys ...more
Aine Crabtree
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Rating my own book makes me feel like Leslie Knope voting for herself for city council. Partially guilty, but mostly "I've always wanted to do this."
Lost Book Thoughts
(4.5 Stars)

Reading the synopsis of The Thief, I thought it sounded really interesting. The beginning of the book is a little slow. I found this mainly due to a little too much description to introduce new places and characters. Yet as the story continued, this problem disappeared almost entirely. The story is told mainly from three points of view (although there are a few added in later in the story). Regardless, I would say the real main character is Jul. She, and the other three main
A.S. Crowder
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be the most fun I've had reading a book in a long time. The Thief is a page-turner that will keep you reading late into the night.Crabtree's characters are truly captivating; readers will quickly find one or two-or several- to relate to. The Thief offers an intricate and attention-grabbing story that leaves you--or at least, left me--waiting anxiously for the rest of the series.
Anika
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was hooked from the first couple of pages, a very good light and simple read. Most of the plot twists I was not expecting. Ever since the library scene, I've been wanting more and more Rhys and Jul scenes. (Not quite satisfied, gimme more romance!) An overall great book!
Shirley
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book. Entertaining. I can't wait to see what happens to Juliet in book two!
Anthony
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that I could not put down. Filled with characters that you grow to love and some that you hate. The narrative perspective from each of the characters adds a unique style to this book.
Paopiggy
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-ongoing
LOVED IT. O_O
Deidre
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow!

I liked this book A LOT! Going into it I didn't think I would simply because there are so many fantasy/supernatural story lines out there and most are cheesy, not well thought out and not terribly original. This book is an exception to that in so many ways. The characters were believable and likable with such a diversity in personality you couldn't help but be interested in their interactions with each other. And the suspense the author creates in this book is pretty top-notch. You really
Rachel
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through a goodreads giveaway and let me just say this is the best book I've read in a long time. People who are fans of The Ascendance Trilogy and the Throne of Glass series will thoroughly enjoy this book. The characters are well created and established with personalities that are uniquely theirs. The mix of personality types is well balanced making you love all of them, especially Mac. I think he is just hilarious. And Rhys is just, well, quiet, brooding, dark, ...more
Erin Pike
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I completely enjoyed this book! I really liked the multiple perspectives and how each character related to the paranormal world in a different way. I think the plot in this book was so unique and enticing; I will DEFINITELY read future books in the series!

The only reason I didn't give this book a 5-star rating was purely my own craziness. I was very annoyed during the first part of the book between the shift from first person perspective for a couple of the characters to third person
Kjirstin
What an interesting world this book creates! For about half the book, I didn't know what I was dealing with: is this superheroes, or magicians, or what? Thankfully in the second half of the book we did get (some of the) answers, and it was worth the build-up. I love that this world feels alien, and unpredictable, and I'm not sure what the next stage of the story is going to be... So definitely worth reading, although it ends on a rather painful cliffhanger. Which wouldn't be an issue except that ...more
Cristal
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
The story has some very good aspects about it. It takes place in a town where to girls, not related, come to go to school and get away from what was going on before they arrived there. The story has lots of magic and mystery. But I didn't like that there were so many points of view. It made this drag on longer seeing what everyone was going through in one moment.Other then that I did like the story as a whole.
Alisha Howard
This is a great story with tons of details, and lots of twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the last page!
I liked all of the characters equally, and enjoyed how diverse they were. There was so much detail woven into each chapter that I found myself re-reading a few passages to make sure I had everything down.
The kids in this book were a delight and I encourage all YA Fantasy/Adventure lovers to give The Thief a chance.
I give The Thief 5 out of 5 stars.
Khalia Hades
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Eve
God damn it, the fact that book two isn't even out yet pisses me off greatly. I need it! Bad.

I loved this book, I enjoyed it so much! You know it's a good book when you can't even guess what's going to happen or what, exactly, the students are. Hell, even having three main characters just added to the total awesomeness instead of detracting from the story.

BRILLIANT.
Jennifer Ochoa
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, read-gave-away
I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

This was an enjoyable YA novel with an interesting and unique story line. Kept me guessing and engaged. Looking forward to the release of the second book in the series.
Ari Pepper
Absolutely wonderful first novel.

I was sucked into the story immediately. I can't wait for the next books in the series to see where Crabtree takes us and the characters on this adventure.
Selena
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So to get this out of the way... I loved this book, so that's that.

I will post a proper review soon. I hope book two comes out in the earlier part of 2014:)
Lorena Haro
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOved it! i love Rhys, i love Mac, i never liked Kei
Shil

DAMN CLIFFHANGER!!!!!!! Grrrrrr!
A year wait for next book...hope i survive waiting...
Kellie Cruse
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing I simply could not put it down. The characters were so interesting the story was well written and well you should read it for yourself it was great
Laurie
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this book in a giveaway.
One of the best books I had read that involved magic.
Can't wait for the second book!!! ARGHHHHHHHH
Susan
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
It is a great story, but GET. AN. EDITOR. So much incorrect grammar!
Tim
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
GOOD READS GIVEAWAY

Very interesting. I am excited for the next book.
Emiliya
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Интересна книга за ученици, претежаващи необичайни способности. Особено ми хареса, че повествованието се води от името на различни герои. Отворен финал.
Nanaelleaas
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING!
It is so rare to find lead caracters that are mixed race, and for the book not to about segregation.
The plot is so interesting and exciting, I'm impatient for the 2nd book to come out!!!!
(Sorry if my grammar is bad, I don't speak fluent English >.<' but I recommend this book to any one who likes a good fantasy book is interesting caracters, and plot!)
Rachel (aka Ms4Tune)
3.5 stars. Really interesting and good characters. But there was quite a lot to get your head around so it got a little confusing in places and because of the multiple points of view, sometimes, it felt a bit too choppy.

Full review to come
Jan 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Aine Crabtree is the creator / earth mother goddess of an alternate universe, where the good are sacrificed upon the Altar of Cliffhangers and the wicked flourish to prolong the dramatic tension. She lives in Huntsville, AL with Spike, the world’s cutest kitten, plotting her escape to somewhere less humid. She is still waiting to be recruited by the X-Men.
A short interview can be read here.