Start by marking “Through the Woods” as Want to Read:
Through the Woods

Through the Woods

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  58,306 ratings  ·  7,437 reviews
'It came from the woods. Most strange things do.'

Five mysterious, spine-tingling stories follow journeys into (and out of?) the eerie abyss.

These chilling tales spring from the macabre imagination of acclaimed and award-winning comic creator Emily Carroll.

Come take a walk in the woods and see what awaits you there...
Published July 15th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Through the Woods, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Allie Dawn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michelle
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  58,306 ratings  ·  7,437 reviews

Start your review of Through the Woods
Patrick
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book freaked my shit out.

Yeah. How's that for a blurb?

"This freaked my shit out."
- Patrick Rothfuss

The truth is, this book is amazing. I've read a lot of great comics this last year, and out of all of them, this is the one that had the most profound emotional effect on me.

It's not gory, or graphic. It's... unsettling. It's creepy. It's like the darkest of the old-school faerie tales.

I read it at night before I was going to go to bed. And when I was done, I was too unnerved to go to slee
Caz (littlebookowl)
I feel like this is something I will go back to and reread a few times, but I am slightly terrified to do so...
Cristina Monica
description

Goosebumps. Full of them. Reading this horror filled graphic novel during night-time turned out to be a terrifying idea. Yet, I couldn’t stop reading. It was captivating. I don’t think I’ve even noted a single thing of my environment while reading it; there was only the book and I.

There were five short stories in this book. All of them contained a spooky or completely frightening plot that will keep you on the edge. The author also managed to include suspense in the atmosphere. However scary th
karen
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
 photo IMG_6490_zpsbefalcqk.jpg

if i were judging this book solely on its artwork, it would be an easy five stars. there are five main stories, plus an introduction and a conclusion, each with their own style of illustration. it's not that i love them all equally, but i do generally appreciate range and variety :

photo IMG_6522_zpsol64vjex.jpg

photo IMG_6517_zpsxvhzpiys.jpg

photo IMG_6503_zpswrjag6ij.jpg

photo IMG_6492_zpsx6b0m0d3.jpg

in a way, it kind of reminded me of fear(s) of the dark, a film in which several different illustrators bring their own brand of creepy to life through unique animation stylings:

this book is obvio
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
A set of five short little horror stories.
Everyone loves this book.
Everyone says don't read these at dark.
I thought I would flip out over this book.
 photo through-the-woods-red-riding-hood_zpscxh06z0a.jpg

I didn't.
I think I may not be the target audience for something like this.
I'm not really a fan of short stories. At least the ones that have no definite endings.
 photo through-the-woods-teaser_zpspuoptnnc.jpg

It does have some awesome artwork though. I think if I had read these when I was a teenager I went have went bonkers over them. But my old jaded ass just didn't care for it now bec
Ariel
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is one of the CREEPIEST most BEAUTIFUL most MYSTICAL most TERRIFYING things I have EVER READ.

That's really all I can say. Go read this. It's utterly enchanting.

The artwork is magnificent. MAGNIFICENT. Every page was a marvel. And the stories are so entertaining and keep you so intrigued, and are so intense. And it's scary. Oh my god it's terrifying. One of the creepiest books I've ever read, but in a good way.

My favourite story was "Our Neighbours House" but they were ALL GOOD.

SO SO GOOD.
Lala BooksandLala
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Book 24 of 30 for my 30 day reading challenge.
Maureen
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the creepiest books I've ever read - SHOULD NOT HAVE READ IT AT NIGHT.
The art was beautiful and the stories were really great. Honestly, some of them, while being creepy, could be a metaphor for mental illness/depression (in a twisted way, yes, but still metaphors) which I found really interesting. Overall a really compelling read with a lot of different elements - most of them being TERRIFYING.
DEFINITELY LEARN FROM ME AND DON'T READ THIS BOOK AT NIGHT OMG.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Loved the illustrations but didn't love the stories as much unfortunately :/
David Schaafsma
11/11/18: I reread this book because I reviewed and shared some of her free short stories here for Halloween, and because I read Speak: The Graphic Novel, which she illustrated for Laurie Halse Anderson. Now, more than two years after I initially read it, I am feeling Carroll's groove. I wasn't as appreciative as I am now. I think she is one of the truly entertaining horror illustrators out there.

1/29/15 (edited a bit for clarity): This did creep me out. The stories are good and unsettling. I am
Alice Oseman
A very creepy collection of short horror comics. Perfect for the Halloween season!
Elyse  Walters
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't bought books to 'write off'.....but I actually could. In the guest room of of our Airbnb.... I have a book shelf. I like to leave books for our guests to enjoy while they stay with us. We don't offer a TV in the room. We've been getting a lot of return guests ---people who come to town for business-and enjoy staying in our little retreat oasis- private quiet - their own warm pool and sauna.

I've been getting feedback on the books I leave out - so I keep rotating them for repeat 'friend
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

If there’s such thing as falling in love at first sight with graphics, I think I just experienced it.

No, really. How am I supposed to rate this beautiful set of short stories? I would give it 5 stars solely for the art. The temptation is real, trust me. As it is, I’m going to do some magic average trick and call it a day. Here we go.

No surprise here, of course the art deserves all the stars! If Emily Carroll uses different techniques in each short story, I can safely say that I loved every one
Maxwell
That wasn't nearly as scary as I was expecting. The art is beautiful though. I love the color palettes she chose for each story; they work very well together. They read like spooky folk tales, and while I wasn't particularly scared by them, they are rather creepy. I felt like a few of the stories ended too abruptly though. I would love for the author to make a longer, single scary story and really expand on what she has here. There wasn't much dialogue either so it goes by really quickly and rel ...more
Whitney Atkinson
This is my favorite art out of any graphic novel i've ever read! Although sometimes I was confused during this, I loved how I was so creeped out that I was nervous to turn the page. Honestly I would highly recommend this graphic novel because it's so neat. I thought I wouldn't like it because it's individual short stories, but I was wrong!
Katie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want to panel my bedroom with the pages from this book - although that might disturb visitors.

I adored the imagery and writing as a whole, but for over half of the stories, I felt the endings fell a bit flat.
Heather
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Loved this!!! PERFECT book to read near Halloween!!!
Nick
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
LOVED THE FIRST 2 STORIES:)

description

Full review to come!
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of cute kitties, fluffy bunnies and pastel-colored rainbows
Recommended to ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) by: Trish
This one is as darkly beautiful as it is beautifully dark. What more can a nefarious tyrant with a penchant for all things aesthetic ask for, I wonder? Not much, methinks. Not bloody shrimping much.

The graphics and colors are scrumptiously delicious and deliciously scrumptious.

Damn, the whole thing is so magnificently done even the fonts are yummy as shrimp. (Which is slightly outrageous, if you ask me.)

Then there's the Sometimes Creepy Something Spooky Sometimes Serie Stuff (SCS⁵™).

There are h
Mischenko
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a creepy collection of five graphic short stories by Emily Carroll. I think my favorite was “A Lady’s Hands are Cold” out of the five, but all were quite good and equally disturbing. I plan to revisit this hauntingly gorgeous collection again closer to Halloween.

These are like dark fairy tales. If I were to rate this for the illustrations alone, I’d give it five stars. Something I didn’t like was that a few of the endings were abrupt which leaves you drawing your own conclusions.

4****
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Sarah Churchill
I'd heard this graphic novel was creepy, but I don't think I'd realised just how creepy. I probably should have guessed when it said it was perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman.

A collection of horror stories that all feature that epitome of childhood creepiness - the woods. The artwork style, simplistic and almost child-like adds to the tension, and Emily Carroll is not afraid of some blood and gore in her illustrations.

This is a definite recommendation for fans of darker graphic novels, horror and
Sam Quixote
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’m looking through a window at some trees in the early evening, the trees becoming darker and darker, and I feel something despite myself - the DNA starts moving, remembering a time when the darkness of the trees meant danger. Emily Carroll plays off of those primal fears in the folkish horror stories of Through the Woods, which also warns “It came from the woods. Most strange things do.”

The first story, Our Neighbor’s House, loosely riffs on Red Riding Hood as a trio of sisters are left by the
Bradley
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Horror stories done stark and right, minimalist and tear-your-face-off creepy.

Seriously. I think I only like one of the five stories, but I loved the other four. Crazy solid scares, and now I've got a good book to read to my daughter once she finally stops needing to sleep with the light on.

After all, we can't have our children growing up unafraid, now can we?

(Puts on a wide brimmed hat and grins in such a way that all of his teeth gleam like piano keys.)

Right?

But my favorite story of all was th
Tina Haigler
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is an anthology of horror stories, told in graphic novel form. Horror is my favorite genre, and my favorite medium for it is the graphic novel, so I ended up reading this in one sitting. All the stories found herein had an eerily creepy feel to them, and the artwork matched the tone of it perfectly. The only reason I chose four instead of five stars is because, within the horror world, vague endings are just not my thing. Unhappy endings are perfectly fine, but I'm not a fan of ambiguo ...more
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Some background: I picked up this little beauty at Drawn & Quarterly in Montreal, an amazing bookshop specialising in graphic novels and comics, and when I bought it the cashier told me, "This book is really good." Cool, I thought, that's a good recommendation. But then I read the book and let me tell you that is the understatement of the freaking century.

This book is not just really good. It is fantastic. It is dark and creepy and weird and beautiful and artistic and everything you'd want from
Hershey
Well, this book didn't really get to me. I wasn't freaked out by this horror filled graphic novel and on the whole, I was quite disappointed. I don't know if it was bad timing or anything but really, I didn't feel a single chill go through me.

I honestly wanted to feel all the goosebumps and hear my heart go thud, thud, thud but yeah, I didn't get any of that. Shucks. I hoped at the end of each story that the next one was going to scare the shit out of me but the only story that kind of freaked m
Virginie
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful book! The illustrations are simply amazing.

In september, when summer is ending, I always feel like reading spooky stories. This book didn't disappoint!

The short stories were interesting and creepy. Unfortunately, I wasn't really satisfied with most endings, but that didn't stop me from enjoying my read.

...and I have to repeat: this book is a work or art!

5*: Sad to finish it, this book was amazing
4*: Really liked it!
3*: Liked it
2*: Fell asleep a couple of times during my reading
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Feb 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Just finished this and I'm honestly so disappointed. The art was gorgeous but I didn't like ANY of the stories. I feel like they ended right when I started enjoying them. Ugh. Womp x10000
Lotte
A deliciously creepy graphic novel with some absolutely beautiful artwork. I'm very glad I read this during the day because some of those stories were quite gruesome. Loved it!

• Anya's Ghost
  • This One Summer
  • Nimona
  • In Real Life
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Blankets
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 1 (Paper Girls, #1)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Beautiful Darkness
  • Mooncakes
  • Friends With Boys
  • Locke & Key, Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
  • Beware the Kitten Holy (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1)
  • Seconds
  • Sheets (Sheets, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
My name is Emily Carroll, and I was born in June of 1983. I grew up in London (Ontario) but moved to Vancouver for work after graduating Sheridan College's Classical Animation program. I have since moved back to Ontario, and now live in Stratford with my wife, Kate Craig. We have a very large cat.

Source: About Emily.