Start by marking “The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (Bernie Rhodenbarr Mystery)” as Want to Read:
The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (Bernie Rhodenbarr Mystery)

The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (Bernie Rhodenbarr #3)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  2,515 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
The third original mystery starring bookseller-cum-burglar Bernie Rhodenbarr. Bernie has just made the transition to a new way of life: he's bough the Banrgat bookshop in Greenwich Village. So when the opportunity to do a little burgling with a literary bent comes his way, Bernie can't refuse. Who better than Bernie to steal the manuscript of a lost Kipling poem?
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published November 1st 1998 by Recorded Books, Inc. (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling

Kemper
Professional thief Bernie Rhodenbarr is trying to go legit by buying a book store, but that’s a tough way to make the rent even back in the days before Amazon. So when Bernie gets an offer to swipe a rare volume of Kipling verses for a hefty payday he’s more than willing to start picking locks again.

However, what should be a simple exchange of the book for the cash goes sideways, and Bernie finds himself on the run from the cops after being framed for murder. He’ll need all of his criminal skill
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
The Bernie Rhodenbarr series remains an unusual series since the main character is an unapologetic burglar who doesn't lose sleep over swiping some valuables. This time Bernie is behind the front of a used bookstore he wants to succeed with, but he's drawn into a shady deal against his better judgement when conned into a valuable book deal of all things.

Outside the same police detective that Bernie bribes occasionally, there continues to be no continuing cast. All new people yet again, dependab
Karl
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enjoyable fun read. A mystery about the book world is usually always fun and is quite enjoyable if done correctly. Larry Block, I call him Larry as that is the way he signed this book, can do the job better than some.

The writing is fast and humorous about a New York bookseller who also happens to be a burglar, his best friend, a self proclaimed lesbian who runs a dog grooming shop a few doors from his book shop is cleaver and well written. Beside the plot, of a stolen book, that may
Mike French
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable and entertaining. Easy to see why Lawrence Block is such a popular author!
Josh
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read_2015
Comprising a gentle dose of humor deftly mixed in the world of professional thievery, Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr series is a lighter shade of crime fiction which also caters to those readers who like tension and a constant threat of violence on the horizon.

Bernie owns a bookstore and has seemingly given up the life of crime. However, when presented with a nice payday to retrieve a valuable book from a semi-serious collector, he can't refuse.

From that point forward, THE BURGLAR WHO LIKE
Tfitoby
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whodunnit, funny
Bernie the Burglar has retired. He's now selling antiquarian books. Don't we all dream of that kind of retirement? Only Bernie isn't pushing the business as much as he might, Bernie is still keeping his fingers gloved and on the look out for something fun to burgle. Enter a Rudyard Kipling enthusiast with a decidedly juicy proposition and Bernie's burglar tools are packed and ready to go, breathing holes cut in the palms of his rubber gloves.

The format is much as previous (and almost certainly f
Nadine Larter
Over the weekend I was mock-pouting at my husband for "abandoning" me to go and run a marathon (seriously: why do folks in their 30s insist on this weird phenomenon?) and for the fact that I was up way too early on a Sunday morning because of his sudden need to sports. I then jokingly grumpy-yelled at him that he needed to go and find me a book to read and that he should be aware that the state of our relationship depended on his choice.

This is the book he brought me. I imagine it is because it
Nanosynergy
Book 3 in the Bernie Rhodenbarr series. Mind-candy reads. This is the second in series I have read. Despite the main character's on-again/off-again profession as a talented burglar, Block is able to make Bernie likable and sympathetic. The tone of Block's books are humorous and lighthearted. Bernie finds himself in serious scrapes resulting from his life of crime - such as becoming a murder suspect (more than once). A bright and literate burglar, he manages with the help of friends he develops a ...more
Noah Goats
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve just about read all the books in this series (this one is only #3 but I haven’t been reading them in order) and I can say that they are uniformly entertaining. Block employs his gifts for dialogue and humor to excellent effect in every one of the Burglar novels. It may not, on a fundamental level, make any sense for a burglar to be put into situations where he has to solve murders on a regular basis, but these books are so much fun I don’t care.
Elizabeth
Our dear gentleman burglar tries to go straight in this book (well sort of) as he sets up shop as the owner of an antiquarian bookstore. You see, Bernie Rhondenbarr, cat burglar though he may be, also loves to read and has had a life long passion for good literature.

Unfortunately, he couldn't resist stealing a rare Kipling edition and equally unfortunately, in doing so, he was once again framed for murder. However, he is a greater detective than any of the NYPD and was able to solve the murder
Norton Stone
I love a quick read, and I love good crime that demonstrates an author's grasp of history. Block puts enough real or potentially real stuff in to create interest in an unsurprising conclusion. I feel the Block template has periods where you know he is withholding information because disclosing it would mess with the summing up. The ending is very Agatha, but why not, the formula works. I like Blocks descriptions and the effortless pace. Romance for men.
Suze
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm on a "The Burgler Who..." binge. Bernie is a fun protagonist, the books are just fun to read. If you have a problem with moral ambiguity (he IS a burglar), you might have a problem with these books, but the adept burglar who keeps stumbling over bodies, his lesbian best friend Carolyn, and "the best cop money can buy" are just fun to hang out with.
Mike
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Following the pattern laid down by our forefathers in the late 18th century, Mr. Block gives us another installment in clever writing and plotting. When I stumble upon a book that I like I usually try to go back to the start (or earliest available volume) and then read forward. I enjoy watching how the author and, if a series, characters develop over time. For some reason I jumbled up the order reading this story after a much later one ("The Burglar Who Studied Spinoza").

In a way it was a lucky
Roxana-Mălina Chirilă
Reasons this book was boring:

1. The police doesn't use Bernie Rhodenbarr as a murder-detector yet - despite his tendency to stumble onto fresh or about-to-happen murder scenes.

2. All characters we already know (except Bernie and the cop) are discarded for a new cast, so Bernie can continue to have no developing any relationships whatsoever.

3. The murder clues can be deciphered by nobody but Bernie while I'd give a damn, then they're thrown at me when I no longer care.

4. I'm not sure what the fou
Kevin
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book of the series so far,funnier then ever with lines like

“Wonderful. I can play it safe by sitting in a stolen car parked at a bus stop. Why don’t I just wait in the subway? I could cling to the third rail for security.”

Fictional Kipling poems " The Deliverance of Fort Bucklow" drives the story but it's all Bernie and Carolyn thatdrive the fun with excellent dialogue and a complicated mystery just perfect for a book lover.

John Stewart
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like eating a box of Dove bars while you're supposed to be on a diet. Not much nutritional value but sure is fun.
Jerry
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
quick, easy read..
Mike
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernie, the burglar, now owns a bookshop. Has he reformed or is it just a cover? No and no. He is still stealing things and everyone seems to know it. They even seek him out in the shop to hire him for a little larceny. But, as usual, the latest caper gets him blamed for a murder that he didn't commit and He needs to clear himself before the police arrest him. Oh, Bernie, what are we going to do with you?!?

I don't read this series so much for the stories as for the author's conversational and wi
Metodi Markov
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Бърни е пенсиониран обирджия и горд собственик на антикварна книжарница в Ню Йорк.

Но когато получава предложение да отмъкне уникална книга на Киплинг срещу прилична сума, нищо не може да го спре.

Следва ново щуро приключение с неочакван край. :)
Arlingtontexican
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So our hero settles down, and the bodies start biling up like cord wood. Love the series. Can't be too mad that the characters are international sterotypes...it's a story, meant to entertain and entertain, it does.
Monnie
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did you think I was joking when I said I plan to read all the books in the series featuring professional burglar Bernie Rhodenbarr? Oh, ye of little faith! This is No. 3, and while I may take a break and knock off something a bit different for my next book, I fully intend to be true to my word. The books are just that good.

In this one, Bernie has put burglary on the back burner (well, for the most part), focusing instead on running a used bookstore he's purchased in Greenwich Village. When a boo
Marwan
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard first about Lawrence Block from the "A Walk Among the Tombstones" Movie , which was based on his novel of the same name. I loved the movie and became curious about his novels. When I finished this one I started wondering how come I didn't notice such a good writer.
The story revolves around Bernie Rhodenbarr, a retired Burglar, who's now owning a bookstore. However, he still rubs houses to make ends meets. One day, a man enter his store and asks him to rub an artifact from a rich man's ma
That70sheidi
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humor, series, 2011
FINALLY a woman that Bernie can't seduce - I LOVE YOU CAROLINE, you great big lezzie you!

Honestly the best book I've read about Bernie, because there was no sex. Seriously. Sure, it was about books, and mistaken identity, and frame-ups, and a really nicely convoluted plot that Bern unravels at the end for us, but really I'm just so relieved that I didn't have to hear him smoove talk his way into yet another crotch. THANK YOU. And I loved their friendship and crime-solving partnership and possib
Sally Lindsay-briggs
This is about the second or third Lawrence Block book I have read; they never seem to disappoint. It was funny, real and you just couldn't help but love Bernie, the burglar and book seller. He gets inbroiled in a real mess and gets accused of murder, but Bernie is a smart cookie and you'll love the way it all finishes. This was a very entertaining book on cassette that even my husband liked while we drove to my daughter's house for Thanksgiving.
John
Dec 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Burglar who liked to Quote Kipling Lawrence Block Fiction B Quirky thriller/mystery - a series featuring Bernie Rhodenbarr - the Burglar.He has an amusing turn of phrase and dialogue. Lightweight read. Good Plane/Bus/Train trip fodder. Registered it with BookCrosser.com and set it on it's way.
John
Aug 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cute but definitely shows its age (written in 1979). One thing worth noting and praising is that Bernie's partner in crime is a fully out lesbian and is portrayed in a realistic and positive light, quite ahead of its time.

I did like this one well enough to request Book 1 from the library, though.
Jessica
Block dabbles in a lot of different mystery sub-genres with great success, but if I'm being honest, Bernie's likely to remain my favorite by a nose. They're comic without being goofy, and the tone of their puzzles puts me in mind of top-form Christie.
Glen
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another great entry in the Bernie Rhodenbarr series.

A big Kipling fan persuades Bernie to steal a precious and rare book by Rudyard Kipling. The only one of its kind. Bernie manages to steal it, but of course, he gets involved in a murder, too.

Very entertaining.
Jim
Jul 08, 2011 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to rate this because I didn't finish it. This is the 3d in the series & I knew what was going to happen before it did. It's not really any different than either of the other 2 books. Too similar to bother listening to now. Maybe in a year or two...
David Williams
It's a formulaic mystery novel, but a very entertaining one. Block has a way with the dark humor.
  • Watch Your Back! (Dortmunder, #13)
  • Detective (Stanley Hastings #1)
  • The Bookman's Wake (Cliff Janeway, #2)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)
Lawrence Block has been writing crime, mystery, and suspense fiction for more than half a century. He has published in excess (oh, wretched excess!) of 100 books, and no end of short stories.

Born in Buffalo, N.Y., LB attended Antioch College, but left before completing his studies; school authorities advised him that they felt he’d be happier elsewhere, and he thought this was remarkably perceptiv
More about Lawrence Block...

Bernie Rhodenbarr (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • The Burglar in the Closet (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #2)
  • The Burglar Who Studied Spinoza (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #4)
  • The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #5)
  • The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #6)
  • The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #7)
  • The Burglar in the Library (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #8)
  • The Burglar in the Rye (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #9)
  • The Burglar on the Prowl (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #10)
  • The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #11)