Start by marking “Blood of Innocents (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blood of Innocents (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #2)

Blood of Innocents

(Sorcery Ascendant Sequence #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  3,740 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Anasoma, jewel of the Mahruse Empire, has fallen.

As Caldan and his companions flee the city, horrors from the time of the Shattering begin to close in.

With Miranda’s mind broken by forbidden sorcery, Caldan is forced to disobey the most sacrosanct laws of the Protectors if he is to have any chance of healing her.

But when one of the emperor’s warlocks arrives to take contro
Published June 2014 by Mitchell Hogan (first published May 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Blood of Innocents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood of Innocents

Petros Triantafyllou
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Blood of Innocents is a tale that unfolds with the precision of an excellent smith-crafted timepiece, sporting a compelling and easy to read style.

The story itself captures a time when the young protagonist has to leave everything behind for a second time in his life, and travel to unknown waters with people he doesn't trust, only to realize that the world isn't the place he thought it to be. Mitchell is using the circumstances he crafted to his advantage, realistically depicting how a young boy
Samir
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Have you ever came across a new tv-show, decided to watch it, had a great time watching it and when you finished, you were eagerly waiting for the next season. And then came the next season. You start watching thinking you’re going to have a good time and it turns out to be nothing like the previous season and you’re just left wondering what the hell happened?! That is exactly how I felt after reading this book.

I enjoyed the first book, it wasn’t something groundbreaking but I had a good time, t
Scott  Hitchcock
A really hard book to rate. I thought for a while it was going to far surpass book one but there were too many head scratchers. Biggest one Calden is supposed to be a Dominion mastermind (think three dimensional chess like Star Trek) which we're repeatedly reminded makes him super smart and able to look many steps ahead and yet he's blundering through most of the book. Especially (view spoiler) ...more
Mitchell Hogan
Oct 12, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Update 29th May 2014: Blood of Innocents has now been released!

Update 2nd May 2014: For those readers eager to know the release date, I am aiming for early June 2014. There's been a slight delay due to some health issues with my 11 month old daughter (who is doing fine by the way!).
Update 2: Apparently Goodreads has emailed everyone stating the book is out. My apologies, I had no idea this would happen! As I said above, it's another 5-6 weeks away.

------------------------------------------------
Emma
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 stars, could have been 4 stars if not for the pacing! This was a good book which I enjoyed. Had it been a hundred pages shorter, I would have enjoyed it more and I know exactly where I might have used an editing pen! Hogan has a way of investing the reader in characters where there is little pay off- they get killed off or they add little to the actual story. I don't want to be too specific in case I spoil it for readers. Having said that, it is still an interesting read and the author has a ...more
Matthew
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Writing the second book in a fantasy trilogy isn't easy. There are many factors to consider, especially if the first book was a hit (A Crucible of Souls was). There are reader expectations to now manage and exceed, and a story that not only needs to develop but also be improved upon from the first book. Unfortunately, many authors fall short in this endeavour, leading to the rise of the term 'middle book syndrome'.

Fortunately, Hogan is not one of those authors.

Blood of Innocents not only excee
Reggie Kray
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I jumped into this series without much expectation. As it stands, I am really, really enjoying this epic series! Thank you GR for recommendations!
Aristea
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-on-shelf
The book is ultimately a 3.5 stars.
Amazing last 20% but very slow first 50%. Most of the book seems to place the people in the right spot. Yet, Caldan's story line was extremely slow. Provided that I believe his decision were driven by a relateable situation (trying to save a loved one), the story line itself was very plain, at least in my opinion.
There is a significant development in the last 10% of the book - which makes me incredibly intrigued for the new installment of the series. Plus, ho
Shag
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read book 1 and 2 back to back, so my comments span both books. I feel that some of it was okay and some of it was I liked it, but there isn't a 2.5 star option.

Anyhow, some of the cons:
1) I still wonder if this is a young adult book. The Main Character's conversation, actions, and story feel childish, compared to what else is going on, and all the back story. If it is, then I apologize for my ratings.

2) The magic system is interesting, however his only attack is blowing up his creations, but
Lundos
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Terrible pacing. Way too many repititions. Nothing big happens in the overall plot until 95% in. And almost all story lines becomes boring, including the main protagonist.

A huge disappointment overall after a good first installment.
Mark Medina
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Very good book. Continuation of the story. Enjoyable and easy to read, good pace. Characters are developing nicely. Still a bit of mystery around the plot, but I think it is fairly guessable. Amsterdam and Sudan are probably the most interesting characters. Moving on to book three now.
Mark Halse
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
When this book ended I didn't want it to be over. I think we can all agree that this is the number one sign off a good read.

That's not to say that this book is something special. It's your garden variety epic fantasy about an extra special youth caught in the middle of two warring empires and the possible end of everything. It's up to him to reach his true potential and save all that he loves in the process. Nothing new here. But anyone who had read any of my reviews knows that I don't need a sp
Kitvaria Sarene
I quite enjoyed this one again - it did manage to live up to the first book in the series!

The story gets more complex and the cast grows.
It sucked me in again right away, and kept me well entertained all the way through!

There were some parts that felt a bit slow and the monsters that show up in this one didn't feel to real to me - yet. They have potential to grow though.

There were also action packed battle scenes, character development and a deeper insight into the magic system to balance my fe
Scott
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Before I get into anything I didn't care for let me just say that Mitchell Hogan can write and I enjoyed this book.

But...

It was a flawed book.

I loved the first book in the series and this book picks up pretty much where the last left off. This series is really just one big story split into three books.

The characters were f'ing amazing and that's why I kept turning those pages and couldn't wait to get back to it. Read the book. It's good.

Why not 5 stars?
It was flawed.
We spend a lot of time follo
Ian Ballard
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
A disappointing follow up.

In the first book the characters developed individually and in their relationships in a moderately satisfying way. The protagonist's naive nature and feckless enthusiasm were excusable because he had grown up in a sheltered environment. In this book ,however, all of the characters just act as foils to progress a very predictable plot. Caldan is shocked, over and over, that he isn't taken seriously by people in power. This is really painful to read. It's like watching a
Brett
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a really disappointing follow-up to an otherwise good series (first book). The problem is with the change in the main character. He was enjoyable to read in book #1. There's some progession, he has developed motivations, he acts intelligently and bravely, his love interest is interesting, his interaction with his mentor and the world is interesting etc etc.

All those things are terminated in the second book. The main character acts stupidly or naively over and over. All his conversations
*Absorbed in Countless Worlds*
DNF at 32%.
Mike (the Paladin)
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Okay, I liked the first volume in this series a bit more than this, the second. Now, I don't know if this is a "trilogy" or a "series". That said I couldn't help (as I was reading) thinking of the old "second volume" curse. It used to be almost accepted that the second volume of a trilogy would slow down some compared to the first as the writer lined up their "pieces" and moved everything into position for the climax.

That seems to be true here. We pick up our story and start following events as
Ricky
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It comes with a heavy heart to say that I did not like the way this book ended. The beginning has a promising start and was engaging, towards the end of book felt like a deflated balloon. I did not like the actions of the characters as they were established in the first novel (which I loved by the way). The book could have been a lot shorter as the main character Caldan is constantly talking about Miranda and nothing ever progresses. Overall I was excited for the 3rd book but after this one I mi ...more
Elijs Dima
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
In many ways, a better novel than its predecessor; the rate of event development and pacing is much more improved, a number of characters have gained more complexity, and it still is very easy to read and visualize.

However.
The main issue with the.. main character is not solved - Caldan is pretty much the archetype of "the young hero". His only seeming weakness is a slight bit of thick-headedness. And I'm not sure that there's much point to having a character as predictable and universally famili
Aireen Lim
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
Randy
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book. I'm not some pretentious literary snob, although after reading over 20k books, I feel that my conclusions have some comparative value. I've read 5+ books a day with very few exceptions since I was 17; do the math.
In any case, I merely have one requirement for me to continue any series. Specifically, that I, as a reader, am entertained. If I am distracted by convoluted, or disjointed writing it ceases to be entertaining.

These two books, both of which I've read back-to
Numinator
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Crucible of Souls was a good debut novel. The plot was intriguing, the characters were on the whole well fleshed out, and the world building was extremely competent. The book was one of the better reads of 2013 and I have been looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Mitchell Hogan has outdone himself with Blood of Innocents. The first book was a promising debut from a new author, but Blood of Innocents is a book of which any seasoned author would be extremely proud of.

It is supe
N Islam
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
What can I say? This was an interesting novel, one that I struggled to finish because everything took forever to happen, the writer really needs to work on the pacing of his books.

The magic system continues to be interesting, but the sheer number of perspectives presented makes this series a pain to read. There are too many side stories happening, and yes they do all converge onto something, but that doesn't make things any less annoying, because you always want to know what the MC is up to, and
Lorna Russell
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read. I love it when a book keeps me reading when I should be sleeping or doing something else. I really like the three dimensional characters from the heroic Caldan to the sadistic Amerdan and following their parts through the plot. I also like the light handed addition of Caldan's inner battle over whether using variations of magic makes you evil or if you make you who you are. There are a lot of plot strings and people I am looking forward to in the next book. I'm very curious to know m ...more
Ryan Mueller
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book. I love the way Hogan built on the foundation he created in the first book. There's so much mystery in this world, as well as a healthy dose of action. The last part of this book featured some amazing action sequences. There are also some fascinating characters in this series, most notably Amerdan. I have to know what's going to happen in the last book.

I need it now.

Rating: 9/10
Blake Miller
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I thought this was a great book. It picked up right where the first one left off. I thought it answered many questions; however, I have even more questions that I need answered now.

I do wish we could have had a little more, but I do understand since it was fairly big compared to the first book. I cannot wait until the third book is out!
John Matthews
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable series, looking forward to the #3rd book.
Jonathan Lin
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Alright but a little overboard on repetition. Serious overuse of "By the ancestors!" and the same phrases about Miranda being not good and Caldan being worried gets old really quick.
Lindsey
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: d446-reads
Anyone who did not give this 5 stars is delusional. I am in a deep depression that I have to wait for the next book. MITCHELL HOGAN, BIG UPS, WE COOL.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Blood of Innocents 61 26 Dec 05, 2016 11:19AM
  • The Sorcerer's Legacy (The Sorcerer's Path, #3)
  • Attrition: the First Act of Penance (Three Acts of Penance, #1)
  • After The Rabbit (Waldo Rabbit, #2)
  • Black Coven (Daniel Black, #2)
  • City of Light (Traveler's Gate, #3)
  • Ascension (Spellscribed, #2)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • A Thirst for Vengeance (The Ashes Saga, #1)
  • Shadowed By Wings (Dragon Temple Saga, #2)
  • Messenger of the Dark Prophet (The Bowl of Souls #2)
  • Victor Deus (Heritage of the Blood, #1)
  • The Line of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)
  • A Broken Throne (Book of One, #5)
  • Unholy War (Moontide Quartet, #3)
  • The Road to Magic (The Way of the Demon Series, #1)
*** Signup to Mitchell's New Release mailing list to be the first to hear about new releases, and for bonus chapters of A Crucible of Souls! ***

When he was eleven, Mitchell Hogan was given the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to read, and a love of fantasy novels was born. He spent the next ten years reading, rolling dice, and playing computer games, with some school and university thrown in

Sorcery Ascendant Sequence (3 books)
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • A Shattered Empire (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“Apply reason and evidence to the problems around you. Reach conclusions, then test them. See if your deductions stand up to testing. Only then will you know real truth.” 3 likes
“How could people sit still and do nothing?” 0 likes