Start by marking “Mark One (Midway #1)” as Want to Read:
Mark One (Midway #1)

Mark One

(Midway #1)

Nine men, ex-military, are on a mission to destroy a genetics laboratory and capture a genetically engineered specimen. They are supported by four rogue CIA agents, who have commandeered a test drone and a missile at a Marine base. The team attacks the genetics laboratory complex before dawn, during a raging blizzard. Within hours, seven of the men are dead, one is severel ...more
Published October 4th 2013 by Rexon Press

To ask other readers questions about Mark One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mark One

David Dalton
3 stars. Not great, but not too terrible. From my point of view, not too sophisticated nor too detailed. I was expecting a little bit more of the book to be centered on Mark and his genetically enhanced body. The story focused a little on this, but not as much as I figured.

The way the story was written we missed reading about a lot of the action, and instead we saw the after effects. I criticized other books for this doing this. I would like to see the author build up the suspense and then desc
Robyn
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers, especially with a touch of science fiction. In this novel the fantastic elements come in the form of genetically engineered humans. Spare, fast moving prose without excess baggage or overindulgence in description or minor characters. I look forward to the rest in the series. I can easily picture this as a film or series on television also.

A copy of this book was provided for an honest interview.
Natalie
***Review Copy***

I hate to knock a writers hard work but this book left me wanting. The plot is solid but the execution was flawed. The writing felt stiff and blunt no subtlety at all. If this was his debut novel then good job if its not then the writer needs to step up his game..
Karen
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: librarything
Received this via LibraryThing as a mobi. Not sure if I received an unedited edition/rough draft but the cumbersome sentence structure hints that I did. The story itself is quite good and unique. I enjoyed the premise and Mark Midway's journey.
Flanagan
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting and unusual premise penned by an exceptional author yields a great read.

I found "Mark One" by John Hindmarsh compelling from the first chapter. I received the book as a gift from BookFunnel, and the description piqued my curiosity, so I downloaded it to my phone and tested the first few pages.

Although I struggled with fully understanding the circumstances and the focus, the descriptions were so clear and persuasive that I moved the book to my tablet and quickly imm
John Charles
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first thought when I started reading Mark One was - Does he know?

Mark seems to be a quiet young man who enjoys learning both intellectually as well as physically. To him, everything is a welcomed challenge. When his home and family are threatened, his superior training and logic enables him to overtake the attackers without personal harm. That is if you call losing his only known parents and home not harm.

This book caught my attention considering the recent announcemen
Bob
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
We meet a young boy (Mark) in an isolated house with a drunken tutor and a mean caretaker who is carried off one day by a man in an old Mercedes and driven to Amsterdam where he is turned over to an older woman who takes to the US Via Canada. The next time we see Mark he is a young man working with his new parents who are running a secret genetics lab in Virginia. When the lab comes under attack by a gang of well armed mercenaries sent by a senator out to red he world of the minions of Satan. Ma ...more
Sue Olexa
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John Hindmarsh delivers to the reader of Mark One, a very smooth reading story told by a smooth writing John Hindmarsh. The story is exciting and lots of action as Mark Midway, the main character of the book finds himself hunted and running. All he wants to do is find some place to “feel safe”. Thus begins a whole journey for the reader as Mark Midway finds his own journey which definitely is “not safe”. Well developed characters, well thought out plot, and told with a FLARE by John Hindmarsh, i ...more
Walter Scott
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mark Midway has above-normal reaction speed, is a gifted shooter, and learns much faster than an average person. 12-years-old, but appearing to be in his mid-20’s, he is now fighting for his life, while trying to protect those around him. And he learns that he is the product of genetic manipulation.
Yes, there is lots of action, but it is not the hyped-up Hollywood Jason Bourne blood bath. This is a story of self-discovery, with a great cast of characters, all of whom are very well rendered
James F. Stiles IV
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable page-turner

John Hindustan has written a thriller that became one of my favorites because it has all the realistic and continuous action a good thriller should have but without the frenetic rush so many writers use nowadays to keep their readers' need for stimulation satisfied. "Mark One" gives the reader the fast pace any good thriller should without leaving lots of loose ends and the feeling that the reader has.missed something along the way. The mystery items left are those the read
Joe Vitucci
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Very interesting. This is the beginning of a series, which partially explains why this book ends the way it does. Mark has some great combative instincts due to the way he was brought up. The last couple that raised him are growing some human embryos that are almost ready for the adult stage. A senator and a reverend think this is an abomination and want them destroyed. This is pretty well written and interesting, However, I was very surprised at the ending and have questions. I'm sure the autho ...more
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Wow, this was a cracking good read!

Great cast of characters, a really fascinating plot and very well written. I seem to have stumbled across a succession of fantastically good reads lately - hope my luck holds!

A trail of dead bodies, a crooked politician and a sinister group with rather violent plans are on the loose. This book has a lot going on, all of it well plotted.

Fast-paced, tension and suspense on every page, this was an addictive, thoroughly enjoyable read. A se
Colette L Frost
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Read

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Sci fi is not a usual genre that I would opt to read, consequently I actually think I enjoyed it more because I was almost expecting not to!
I have great respect for the author (trying not to include any spoilers) particularly for the ending. The non happy ever after is realistic and unexpected. I have empathy & compassion for Mark throughout & am now looking forward to getting to know his character more. Thank you John Hindmarsh.
Michael
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable thriller that kept you thinking, and was a good read. Without having a spoiler, I thought the ending was refreshing as it wasn’t the “normal” formulaic ending for a thriller, and it makes me want to see what happens in the next book in the series. I picked this up for free during a Kindle promotion vs. its normal price of $3.99 and certainly received more than $3.99 worth of entertainment value out of it. If you like thrillers, I would recommend your giving this one a try.
Patricia Z
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good exciting read but...

I found the book compelling to read to find out what was happening to the characters. However, I don't enjoy books that require buying the next one in the series to see what happens to the characters. I prefer books like Jack Reacher or Kinsey Millhone that complete the story line in one book. The next in the series is a different story line but still expands the main character(s).
I haven't decided if I will buy the next book in this series.
John
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the story a great deal and look forward to reading the next episode.
The introduction was a little fuzzy, but once you got into the gist of the rest of the book it all fell into place.

The story kept my interest right to the end. I was a little disappointed with how the individuals (Robin, Tom, Miss Victoria ) ended.

Again, I highly recommend this book.
Michael
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting Premise, Action-filled

Interesting introduction to the storyline which develops into a fast-paced, Action-packed novel with several twists and turns. The resolution of Book o be was sudden, surprising and a bit sad. The second book looks as if it will continue with surprises and interesting twists.
Tony Hinde
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
While the protagonist is the definition of a "Mary-Sue," he's so likable that I didn't care.

There are a lot of rough places in this book... Like the source of the antagonist's obsession, or the lack of societal uproar upon discovering a US Senator orchestrated a terrorist attack on US soil. But the action drives the reader forward. We want to see Mark in action - I still want more.
Deborah
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A good story but the writing doesn't flow nicely to keep you reading. The ending is a slight cliffhanger but the story wraps up enough that you can read it as a stand alone if you don't want the whole series
Cheryl Hurzeler
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a thriller with a definite twist! Mark isn't your typical guy with a gun.When push comes to shove you definitely want him on your side. I really enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to more adventures in Mark Two, Three and Four. Great read. I hope you check it out.
Robert Romberger
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I really enjoyed this thriller. It had plenty of action and works well as a setup volume for future novels in the series, especially since it is a standalone novel that completes the basic plot and then intertwines further plotlines to entice the reader into the next novel. Well done.
Robbie
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well-written, fast-paced thriller. The characters were likeable and the story compelling. I rate it 4.7 stars. (I would have rated it higher, but I don't like to be left hanging at the end of a book. Still, I do plan to read the second in the series.)
Ann Keeran
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He could escape once but will the bureaucrats or Russians Oran unknown group catch up with him? A masterfully written thriller with lots of thrills and excitement. Mark One by John Hindmarsh should definitely be on your "to read" list!
MICHAEL CLICK
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Another in the superhero secret agent genre

Interesting twist on the superhero/ secret agent story. I found it a worthwhile read, but I would not spend a lot of time or money reading further.
steve w
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent introduction to a new "hero"

If you like mysteries, thrillers and suspense books this is one you'll enjoy. I should also throw in the world of government agencies. This the type of book that will have you anxiously awaiting for the next.
Joel A Boschee
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book!

I gave this book a 5 star rating because it kept my interest throughout and wanted to see what was going to happen next. I look forward to reading the next book!
Joyce McKune
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, sci-fi
Could use some editing, but the story flowed and was great. A group of terrorists attacked the lab where Mark lived and worked. Everyone in the complex was killed, but he saved himself by killing most of the attackers. He then had to run for his life.
Dorothy Girard
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, as I love that the author only gives you enough details so that the story flows nicely, but it also leaves a lot to the imagination, which is perfect for me.
Leighan Morrell
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It has highs and lows, captivating, then boring, but all in all ok!
Tommy
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like the concept but the story seemed to lack the tension. I felt the main character did get fully developed and explore or engage with his "power". As a result the story fell a little flat for me.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bell, Book, and Murder
  • White Horse (Dark Paradigm Book 1)
  • Tempus (Thieves' World)
  • Beneath the Mask of Sanity
  • Dominatus
  • Remo Went Rogue (Remo Cobb #1)
  • The Battle of Jericho (Detective Jericho Series #2)
  • Cinema Lumière
  • The Extremes
  • Watchers of the Night
  • Kill Switch
  • New York: Early Years (Allie's War, #0.1)
  • The Legend of Ellie Quin (Ellie Quin, #1)
  • Black Violet (A Michael Violet Thriller Book 1)
  • Contract: Snatch (Sei Assassin Thriller, #1)
  • Death of Secrets (Secrets, #1)
  • Straits of Power (Jeffrey Fuller, #5)
  • Emergency Deep

Midway (4 books)
  • Mark Two (Midway #2)
  • Mark Three (Midway #3)
  • Mark Four (Midway #4)
“driver alighted and made his way to the kitchen where he spoke with the housekeeper. Eventually she called out to the young boy, who quickly attended her in the kitchen. “Pack your things,” she instructed. “You’re leaving us today. I say good riddance.” The stranger raised his eyebrows, questioning. “He’s disobedient. Strong-minded.” 0 likes