Start by marking “Boy In The Tower” as Want to Read:
Boy In The Tower

Boy In The Tower

When they first arrived, they came quietly and stealthily as if they tip-toed into the world when we were all looking the other way.

Ade loves living at the top of a tower block. From his window, he feels like he can see the whole world stretching out beneath him.

His mum doesn't really like looking outside - but it's going outside that she hates.

She's happier sleeping all d
Published July 3rd 2014 by Doubleday Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Boy In The Tower, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Maanyabeauty Rathore She was agoraphobic

Mathew
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52books2017
I was so surprised to find that this is a debut, so well structured is the plot and real are the characters. Seen through the eyes of Ade, a young boy who lives at the top of a tower block with his mother, the Wyndham-esque story of a strange, menacing disaster which threatens the city of London and its residents into extinction is gripping.

Two elements of the story really impressed me: the unraveling of the narrative and characterisation. Like a fine Hitchcock, the author takes a long time to r
Michelle
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I first heard about The Boy in the Tower at blogger brunch and when I found it on netgalley had to request it. It sounded like it would be a quick but great read and I couldn't wait to dive in.

Ade lives in a tower block with this Mum, who we quickly learn is agoraphobic. He does a lot of things for himself, shopping, cooking, etc, so when the Bulchers strike he is left to try and deal with the beginnings of this invasion, but also try to keep himself and his Mum safe.

When I began reading The Boy
Simon Smith
As a fan of Wyndham I loved this human Sci-fi. Well structured and plotted. Loved the characters. Thought Ben may take us in a Z for Zachariah direction but it didn't go that way. Fantastic story.
Alex Peachman
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really unusual book. It's about what happens to a boy who lives in a tower block when an environmental catastrophe occurs, and how he manages to survive with the help of his neighbours. It sounds rather gloomy, but it's actually rather uplifting and it's a compelling read. Highly recommended.
Olivia Henderson
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book even though it is not the usual style I would go for. I loved the unusual storyline and how it was told from a young boy’s point of view. I felt like I really connected with the characters in the book and could imagine what it would be like to be in their position. The only thing I didn’t enjoy so much was the resolution to the problem. I felt like it happened too quickly without much explanation and description of the journey the characters took. Can’t say too much ab ...more
Avid
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderfully written book. I feel so connected to Ade, and what he went through. I rocketed through the last 100 or so pages, such was the drama and building of suspense.
Pippa Wilson
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shortlisted for the Blue Peter Book Awards 2015 and the Waterstones Children's Book Prize.
Longlisted for the Branford Boase Award 2015, and the Redbridge Children's Book Award 2015.
Also nominated for the CILIP Carnegie Medal.

This middle grade story is framed with a foreword and afterword from a boy called Ade. We are immediately introduced to the "bluchers", which are strange plants, and the fact that Ade is an observer from his perfect viewing post: his window from the top of his tower block. A
Robin Stevens
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely top drawer science fiction story that doesn't pull any punches. It's a dark, complex, terrifying world, and Ade's story (think Day of the Triffids meets Pigeon English) had me on the edge of my seat. Incredibly impressive stuff.
Jack Cleaver
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thort it was a good book got all the way thro and I rate it 4 stars
Miriam Craig
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Utterly brilliant! Was totally gripped!
Terri
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-and-ya
This is a delightful, heartfelt, well-observed, kids' sci-fi novel set in Camberwell, which if you're anything like me will make you cry quite a lot. Ade, the little boy at its heart, is already bravely dealing with acting as a carer for his mum and feeling left out at school, and things get much worse when 21st-century Triffids turn up.

It's set in a tower block community and, though it was written way beforehand, it's hard not to think of Grenfell when reading it, even though the threat in thi
16GubikD
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a good book but some things seemed way too convenient that reminded you that you are reading a book. I think the ending was okay but the main threat should have been explained more. I like the characters but the mum should have been explained as well. Why does she not want to leave the room? But it was a good book nevertheless.
Holly
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a book I just couldn't put down. There were a lot of tense moments and it was a very good book to read. I was reading it and I told myself "maybe two more chapters" and I ended up reading five! I don't want to spoil what happened so I won't say much more but I definitely recommend reading this book.
16HowgegoY
It was good and it is very gripping because it leaves you on edge wanting to know more and what will happen next. It is emotional and it makes you feel close to the main character, partly because it is a small group of people trying to work their way out alive. I would definitely recommend this book.
Graine Milner
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this a few years ago, and loved it - it's a story that's stayed with me and stood out in my mind. Such a clever idea, and so well-written. I'd highly recommend this, especially for Y7/8 readers.
Alison
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a very different book and very enjoyable. I loved the air of mystery of the first half of the book and the exciting second half as questions were answered and the story was concluded.
16cookej
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It also focuses on a theme of depression and death. I thought it was really well written and very realistic. I’d say it was a good book for people 10 and over. My rating is 7/10. I would love to read more like this
Alison Forde
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent survival adventure for pre teens.
Isabella
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gem
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star
I've been raving about this book since I finished it a couple of weeks back. It's a thrilling, scary kids book with a sci-fi edge to it; but is more about the personal experiences of Ade. Ade finds his life is shaken up by the strange occurrences that are happening in his town. Buildings are falling down and killing the people inside them, and nobody really knows why.

But things get much worse for Ade, when he realises that his mum is going through some tough personal issues of her own and can't
15MuschampE
I liked the detail in this book and how you get to know the characters and their feelings.
Luna
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that is hard to review, not because I didn’t like it. I really REALLY liked Boy In The Tower – I’m just not quite sure how best to tell you about it.

Ade is a lovely narrator, you’re fond of him the moment the story begins and the more he tells you the more you want to crawl into the pages and help him. Boy In The Tower is in part adventure, Ade and his mother are trapped in their tower but really this book is about friendships and growth.

Something happen to Ade’s mothe
Libs
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! The way in which you weren't sure what was going at the beginning but by the middle you are caught up in the adventure!
Catherine
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, space
This is an unusual book with a distinctly urban, London setting - a far cry from the catchment of the school I work in and hence a useful insight for children of what life for other British children is like. The story revolves around ravaging invasive plants that feed on concrete, bricks and metal and hence destroy buildings, often when full of people. There is much sadness in this book, both large and small scale. Many people die. But also, there is the sadness for the main character of his ill ...more
Paul Murray
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book to my Year 5 class and it had them gripped throughout. The greatest strength of this story is how the author slowly and carefully reveals details about what is happening. There is so much mystery and intrigue; my class loved letting their imaginations run free predicting what might happen next.
It's fast paced overall but time is taken to develop characters and detail. You're never far away from a crucial piece of information or action to raise the stakes higher and build towards
Michelle
This is a fabulous story. Ade lives with his mother in a tower block. His mother has become mentally unwell after an attack and Ade is having to shoulder more responsibilities to look after them both. As if that isn't enough, buildings start to fall down, strange plants appear and the world he lives in begins to change, while his mother sleeps on...

It turns into an unusual survival story, with well-rounded characters and some moments so tense I had to skip ahead a bit to make sure everything wo
Sheryn
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reminiscent of Day of the Triffids from school days. Ade is a gutsy young lad who is caring for his Mum after she withdrew into herself after being attacked. As if that isn't enough, the world then is thrown into chaos by invading plant life. Many leave the city, but Ade can't get his Mum out of bed let alone out of the apartment. A few stragglers have battened down the hatches, so to speak, but the plants eat the buildings, so things aren't looking hopeful. How can they be rescued when no one k ...more
Nicholas
This is a great book. Ade, a young boy, finds his world starts to change when the tower blocks around him start to fall. The difficulty of this strange new world is compounded by his mother's depression/ptsd. Although semi-apocalyptic in theme, this book avoids bleakness and is thoroughly heartwarming.
Adam Cleaver
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
Very enjoyable read.
Got this book for my Son at Christmas as heard it won some awards and was a good read.
Read it to him and his Brother (9 and 12 yrs), and we all really enjoyed it.
Quite creepy and surreal, but still feels real enough to be something you could see happening!
Worth a read and quite an easy one to read allowed (as I'm not great at doing that sometimes)
Glad we picked this one up.
Rakie Keig
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one caught me by surprise. A proper unsettling fall-of-civilisation story in the grand tradition of Brian Aldiss or John Wyndham, but told through the lens of YA, so it's fast and easy to read and quietly heartbreaking. I read it all in one sitting and now kinda wish I'd taken more time to properly appreciate it.
« previous 1 3 next »
NZ Intermediate S...: Boy in the Tower (not in NZSO - but you will have to buy it!) 3 11 Mar 04, 2018 03:03PM
NZ Intermediate S...: Boy in the Tower 2 20 Aug 21, 2017 07:39PM

• The Child's Elephant
  • Welcome to Nowhere
  • Wed Wabbit
  • Beetle Boy (The Battle of the Beetles #1)
  • Frost Hollow Hall
  • Sky Song
  • The Devil Walks
  • Where the World Ends
  • Boy Underwater
  • Silent Saturday (Forbidden Spaces, #1)
  • Five Children on the Western Front