Start by marking “The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)

The Shadow Throne

(The Shadow Campaigns #2)

Anyone can plot a coup or fire an assassin’s bullet. But in a world of muskets and magic, it takes considerably more to seize the throne.

The ailing King of the Vordan lies on his deathbed. When he dies, his daughter, Raesinia Orboan, will become the first Queen Regnant in centuries—and a ripe target for the ambitious men who seek to control her. The most dangerous of thes
Published July 3rd 2014 by Del Rey (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Throne, please sign up.
Django Wexler Oops, I missed this question. It should be out now! (As of 6/11.)

Petrik
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Flintlock/military fantasy fans
Shelves: owned-ebooks
4.5/5 Stars

Different from its predecessor but in my opinion, a superior book.

The Shadow Throne is the second book in The Shadow Campaign series and it’s really not an exaggeration to say that this is almost a completely different book in comparison to the first book. Where The Thousand Names focused mainly on campaigns and actions, The Shadow Throne centered on a revolution in the city of Vordan; filled with intriguing scheming and politics.

The plot began weeks after the end of the previous book
❄️Nani❄️
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Totally different than what I’d expected but Django Wexler did not let me down.

RTC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brain: Not going to read this until the end of February as “planned”.

Me: I can’t stop thinking about it.
I can’t stop thinking about Marcus, Winter and Janus.
I can’t stop thinking about the guys at the infantry.

Brain: Stop thinking, chill the Fk out and “stick to the plan”!

Me: Just a sneak peak...

*reads the first chapter*

😳

Me: I was never good at sticking to plans anyway...
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
YES. SO. MUCH. YES.

I enjoyed this book immensely! Holy cow.

I never would have guessed that I'd find myself loving a piece of military fantasy this much, but there's something about this series that keeps me so entertained.

While reading this story, the words were completely wrapping me up in a blanket of politics, magic, and war.

I was entranced, breathing hard, shaking my fists, making faces, the whole nine yards.

Stories that are heavy on politics, by nature, are slow moving. It's required in
Django Wexler
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As has become tradition, I'll leave the first review on my own book. I, um, liked it?
Rob
Are you tired of the same old fantasy? Would reading yet another story about a chosen boy who goes on to be a great hero and save the world from an ancient evil make you want to punch a baby in the face*?

Well look no further. I present you the second book in Django Wexler's Shadow Campaigns.

We've got not one, but TWO female protagonists. (The third one's a dude, but he's pretty cool so we won't hold it against him.) And if that's not enough there are at least 3 solid supporting female characters
Conor
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars.

A second great instalment in what is quickly becoming one of my favourite new fantasy series'. After receiving some criticism for his intense focus on a flintlock fantasy military campaign in The Thousand Names Wexler showed here that he can write a more traditional fantasy adventure with the best of them. While I didn’t enjoy this as much as the last one it was still a fun, easy read that kept me turning the pages and the finale, where Wexler finally brought his ability to write a br
Will M.
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, war, 2015
My review of the first novel: The Thousand Names

It's nothing new that the second book of an ongoing fantasy series didn't live up to my expectations. I had very high hopes for this, but the execution was a bit lacking. No way near as good as the first book, but still better than most fantasy novels out now. Better for my taste, at least.

My major complaint with this novel would be that Wexler added in another voice in the novel. The dual point of view of Winter and Marcus was perfect in the first
Haïfa
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can find this review and more at Booksprens.

Remember when I told you The Thousand Names was pretty heavy on military jargon, tactics, drills...? Well, guess what? You will (almost) find nothing of the sort in The Shadow Throne!

I found the drastic switch of tone, setting and context to be a masterstroke on Wexler’s part and a very refreshing change. I don’t think I ever read a sequel so completely different from its predecessor.

“This is real. This is history, before it is history.”

For on
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/06/27/b...

Updated: Guest post by author on "Writing the Revolution" in The Shadow Throne http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/07/01/g...

I used to think military fantasy wasn’t my thing, but ever since I started reading a lot again for book blogging, it’s become even more apparent that what I like or what I don’t like isn’t so much about the genre or sub-category, but is in the way it’s written. I saw that last year when I read Django Wex
Solseit
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. Amazing female leads - I cannot recall one I did not like or cared for! -, a great inspiration for this particular book, reference to magic (but just a hint and I hope book 3 will investigate in detail magic!).
Amazing continuation in The Shadow Campaigns!
Jody
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Django strikes again! The story and world continues to expand in this second installment of The Shadow Campaigns. The setting takes place in Vordan City and has a mix of old and new characters. The number of POV's has also increased from book 1. Along with Winter and Marcus is now the Princess Raesinia of Vordan. Mr. Wexler has moved from the desert of Khandar in book 1 to the sprawling metropolis of Vordan City and an almost entirely new cast of side characters with ease. The two books are ti ...more
Daniel
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosn Wexler nastavlja da me odusevljava. Velika knjiga sa puno likova, prica koja drzi paznju, elokventan stil pisanja koji nije zatrpan sa 10 strana nepotrebnih detalja. Isto tako sami likovi su realni, motivacije razumemo, svi se ponasaju ko da umeju da razmisljaju (sto na zalost ume da bude retkost u fantazijskim knjigama). Moj omiljeni lik je bila sama princeza koju upoznajemo na vrlo interesantan nacin i koja se ponasa drugacije nego sto bi ocekivali od nekoga na njenom polozaju.

Jedino sto
Liviu
sequel to the superb Thousand Names, The Shadow Throne keeps the same exuberant storytelling, great characters and wonderful pov's in Winter and Marcus, while adding Princess Raesinia as 3rd pov.

now the action is back in Vordan, the setting is urban and the storyline is a mixture of revolution and magic rather than colonial war and magic

heir to the throne, Raesinia is assumed by sinister Duke Orlanko to be his tool for reasons one finds out in the first few pages, but under cover of a timid pri
Anirudh
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What came as a surprise when I read the first book, could not repeat the magic the second time around. The shadow Throne is quite different from its predecessor to the point of wondering if it is even the same series.

What started off as a brilliant Flintlock fantasy, full of mysterious demons, desert warfare and some great writing has suddenly turned into yet another book about court intrigue, and lacks everything that made the first book wonderful

Plot wise, the story is set back in homeland whe
Em Lost In Books
I was really looking forward to this book after the glowing reviews of my friends and the people I follow here on GR. but I only I liked it whereas I wanted to love it.

book started as very strong for me with Janus assigning work to Marcus and Winter which seemed important enough at that time. I liked the new character of Raesinia and her little plan of snatching the power from the hands of Minister of Orlanko (the same man whom I thought to be so powerful and cunning). She played a vital role i
Bill Door
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, that was a change of pace from the first book. No longer out in the fields fighting, it's inner city turmoil and political plotting.

We get a new POV, the princess soon to be Queen .... and I'm not sure I liked her very much.

I also didn't really like Jane, oh well I still LOVED Marcus and Winter so that more than made up for it.

the action didn't pick up until about halfway through the book, so this book took me much longer to get through than the last book. I think i've been picking at th
Michael Pang
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Less "martial" than the first book. In book 1 there were good number of large scale battles (plus accompanying skirmishes) and the story focused on the characters while campaigning across a foreign map. Here, the action is focused close to home in and around a single city. We get to see the seeds of discontent and scheming plans blossom into a full scale revolution.

Great story, characters and writing, just wanted to point out that it is a little different than the 1st book if you were looking fo
Sumant
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The shadow throne which is the second book in the shadow campaigns series, completely changes gears as regards to the first book is concerned. The first book was a military fantasy while this book is all about the political intrigue going on the city of Vordan. The book started solidly for me, but I think the battle scenes in the book were a bit unconvincing and Wexler wrapped them up in just a few pages.

Some of the strong points of the book are

1.Interesting story.
2.World building.
3.New pov cha
Nathan
Fantasy Review Barn

I am not sure I have ever seen a series do a complete one eighty in book two like this one has; I am certain that if I have it didn’t pull it off so successfully. There is no middle book issue in this series; The Shadow Throne improves on the very strong start provided by The Thousand Names.

Wexler introduced us to this world with a book that was at its heart one strong military campaign. The Thousand Names was pure military fantasy with a focus honed in on a few people within
Megan
Wow. I didn't think it was possible, but I actually enjoyed this more than the first novel. Honestly, this series is going from strength to strength, and only getting better.

This time we move from non-stop military action back to a more politically-charge Vordan, meeting characters who've only been mentioned in The Thousand Names. But there is still plenty of action, fighting, and excitement that happens.

There's so many things I love about this book. The women, for starters. All of them are so s
mich
This book has:

-An officer who is a girl disguised as a boy who goes on an undercover mission disguised as a girl (yeah, you read that right)

-A clever princess-soon-to-be-Queen who, also under disguise, helps to spark a revolution among her people. . .against herself (sort of)

-A steadfast loyal Captain who never goes under disguise, not even once. (so basically, the boring one, lol)

I’m really enjoying this series. With the change in setting from the brutal deserts of Khandar to the intrigues of t
Mark
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shortest review, ITS BRILLIANTLY GOOD.

Think thats enough.
Michael Campbell
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A vastly different novel from the first but just as interesting in it's own way. We've moved from the far off battlefield of a distant land to the capital city of Vordan.

Where muskets and sabers ruled the first book, and court intrigue and politics were kept to subtle background maneuvering, the first book flips that all the way around. There are some battles, but this novel is obviously meant to set the stage for things to come.

The new POV character is likable enough, and my feelings towards
Milo (BOK)
The Review Can Also Be Found Here: http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.c....

The King of Vordan is dying, and his daughter, Raesinia, is destined to become the first Queen in centuries.

But politics knows no loyalties, especially for Duke Orlanko, Minister of Information and spymaster of the empire. The most feared man in the Vordan will bow his knee to no Queen, unless she is firmly under his influence.

Freshly returned from their recent victories in the colonies, Colonel Janus, Marcus and Winter
Geek Furioso
Django Wexler continúa su noble misión de intentar dejarme los huevos congelados con sus libros. Y lo consigue, el cabrón, lo consigue. He de reconocer que en muchas cosas que me esperaba me ha dejado algo frío, pero en otras ha demostrado que es un magnífico escritor.
YouKneeK
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadow Throne is the second book in Django Wexler’s flintlock fantasy series, The Shadow Campaigns. While the first book focused very heavily on military campaigns, this book placed a greater emphasis on politics. There is still some fighting and plenty of action, but not as much as the first book.

For anybody who has read the first book and is curious what the second one is about: (view spoiler)
Benji Glaab
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a smashing good time. I think the writing quality has improved substantially since the early stages of book 1. This story was all about the characters, and as I've said before Wexlers characterizations lack a sense of realism I still am fully engaged/invested in their fate.

This series has a clear path. The backbones of this tale were constructed quite well, and it looks as though we are headed for full out war in book 3. We get a bit of teaser battle near the end climax in TST. The main
Lancer
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
As close to five stars as possible. I liked it more than the first which I also highly enjoyed. Love the characters, the shadowy black priests and all the intrigue of what Janus really is. Straight to book 3 we go.
Sherwood Smith
The title is kinda generic for epic fantasy (shadows being about as ubiquitous as shattered things--I am waiting for one called "The Shattered Shadows") but hey, titles are like covers, meant to signal FANTASY HERE! to likely readers.

And this one delivers the goods. I devoured the first in this series, finding the female characters excellent, some nice gender-bending stuff going on, and the warfare first-rate. The magic, when it happened was creepy and fascinating.

In this second installment, Jan
Skylar Phelps
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I’m left with mixed feelings. The plotting, the surprises and the action made for quality content but the experience for me was dampened by some notable differences from The Thousand Names. Many of the things that were so unique and compelling to me in book one sadly didn’t carry over. There was also a slight slackening in polish to the prose, it was less crisp and more drawn out which made the narrative drag in places.

I do have to give excellent feedback on the world building, the writ
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Shadow Throne 58 42 Feb 15, 2017 01:59AM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: Part 4: Chapters 16-18 8 27 May 07, 2016 05:52AM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: Part 3: Chapters 10-15 9 26 Apr 26, 2016 10:27PM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: Part 2: Chapters 6 - 9 8 28 Apr 22, 2016 02:56AM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: Part 1: Prologue - Chapter 5 7 31 Apr 22, 2016 02:49AM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: General Stuff 24 47 Jul 28, 2015 05:32AM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: Part 5: Chapter 19 - Epilogue 10 33 Dec 24, 2014 10:37AM
  • The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven, #2)
  • Unholy War (Moontide Quartet, #3)
  • The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4)
  • Moon's Artifice (The Empire of a Hundred Houses, #1)
  • Sword of the North (Grim Company, #2)
  • Seal of the Worm (Shadows of the Apt, #10)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Saint's Blood (Greatcoats, #3)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • Breach Zone (Shadow Ops, #3)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • She Who Waits (Low Town, #3)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
Django Wexler graduated from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh with degrees in creative writing and computer science, and worked for the university in artificial intelligence research. Eventually he migrated to Microsoft in Seattle, where he now lives with two cats and a teetering mountain of books. When not planning Shadow Campaigns, he wrangles computers, paints tiny soldiers, and plays g ...more

The Shadow Campaigns (5 books)
  • The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
  • The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • The Infernal Battalion (The Shadow Campaigns, #5)
He expects me turn up for the inspection, glance through all of this, and then scurry back to Ohnlei to get on with my life. Marcus gave a rueful smile. More fool him. He doesn't know I haven't got a life. 6 likes
If this works, it' going to be one of those things that get written down in the history books. He wondered, briefly, what he should say. Oh well. I can always think of something clever later to tell the historians.
"Come on!" He chopped downward, toward the enemy. "Let's get the bastards!”
4 likes