Start by marking “The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)

The Shadow Throne

(The Shadow Campaigns #2)

Anyone can plot a coup or fire an assassin’s bullet. But in a world of muskets and magic, it takes considerably more to seize the throne.

The ailing King of the Vordan lies on his deathbed. When he dies, his daughter, Raesinia Orboan, will become the first Queen Regnant in centuries—and a ripe target for the ambitious men who seek to control her. The most dangerous of thes
Published July 3rd 2014 by Del Rey (first published July 1st 2014)

Start your review of The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
Petrik
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Flintlock/military fantasy fans
4.5/5 Stars

Different from its predecessor but in my opinion, a superior book.

The Shadow Throne is the second book in The Shadow Campaign series and it’s really not an exaggeration to say that this is almost a completely different book in comparison to the first book. Where The Thousand Names focused mainly on campaigns and actions, The Shadow Throne centered on a revolution in the city of Vordan; filled with intriguing scheming and politics.

The plot began weeks after the end of the previous book
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
Totally different than what I’d expected but Django Wexler did not let me down.

RTC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brain: Not going to read this until the end of February as “planned”.

Me: I can’t stop thinking about it.
I can’t stop thinking about Marcus, Winter and Janus.
I can’t stop thinking about the guys at the infantry.

Brain: Stop thinking, chill the Fk out and “stick to the plan”!

Me: Just a sneak peak...

*reads the first chapter*

😳

Me: I was never good at sticking to plans anyway...
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: year-2017, 5-star, lgbt
YES. SO. MUCH. YES.

I enjoyed this book immensely! Holy cow.

I never would have guessed that I'd find myself loving a piece of military fantasy this much, but there's something about this series that keeps me so entertained.

While reading this story, the words were completely wrapping me up in a blanket of politics, magic, and war.

I was entranced, breathing hard, shaking my fists, making faces, the whole nine yards.

Stories that are heavy on politics, by nature, are slow moving. It's required i
Django Wexler
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As has become tradition, I'll leave the first review on my own book. I, um, liked it? ...more
Rob
Are you tired of the same old fantasy? Would reading yet another story about a chosen boy who goes on to be a great hero and save the world from an ancient evil make you want to punch a baby in the face*?

Well look no further. I present you the second book in Django Wexler's Shadow Campaigns.

We've got not one, but TWO female protagonists. (The third one's a dude, but he's pretty cool so we won't hold it against him.) And if that's not enough there are at least 3 solid supporting female characters
Conor
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars.

A second great instalment in what is quickly becoming one of my favourite new fantasy series'. After receiving some criticism for his intense focus on a flintlock fantasy military campaign in The Thousand Names Wexler showed here that he can write a more traditional fantasy adventure with the best of them. While I didn’t enjoy this as much as the last one it was still a fun, easy read that kept me turning the pages and the finale, where Wexler finally brought his ability to write a br
Will M.
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, war, 2015
My review of the first novel: The Thousand Names

It's nothing new that the second book of an ongoing fantasy series didn't live up to my expectations. I had very high hopes for this, but the execution was a bit lacking. No way near as good as the first book, but still better than most fantasy novels out now. Better for my taste, at least.

My major complaint with this novel would be that Wexler added in another voice in the novel. The dual point of view of Winter and Marcus was perfect in the first
Haïfa
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can find this review and more at Booksprens.

Remember when I told you The Thousand Names was pretty heavy on military jargon, tactics, drills...? Well, guess what? You will (almost) find nothing of the sort in The Shadow Throne!

I found the drastic switch of tone, setting and context to be a masterstroke on Wexler’s part and a very refreshing change. I don’t think I ever read a sequel so completely different from its predecessor.

“This is real. This is history, before it is history.”
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/06/27/b...

Updated: Guest post by author on "Writing the Revolution" in The Shadow Throne http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/07/01/g...

I used to think military fantasy wasn’t my thing, but ever since I started reading a lot again for book blogging, it’s become even more apparent that what I like or what I don’t like isn’t so much about the genre or sub-category, but is in the way it’s written. I saw that last year when I read Django Wex
Solseit
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. Amazing female leads - I cannot recall one I did not like or cared for! -, a great inspiration for this particular book, reference to magic (but just a hint and I hope book 3 will investigate in detail magic!).
Amazing continuation in The Shadow Campaigns!
Jody
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Django strikes again! The story and world continues to expand in this second installment of The Shadow Campaigns. The setting takes place in Vordan City and has a mix of old and new characters. The number of POV's has also increased from book 1. Along with Winter and Marcus is now the Princess Raesinia of Vordan. Mr. Wexler has moved from the desert of Khandar in book 1 to the sprawling metropolis of Vordan City and an almost entirely new cast of side characters with ease. The two books are ...more
Choko
Jun 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.65 ***

This is a great Flintlock Fantasy series! Yes, it has the trope of a young woman dressing up as a man and joining the army, but although this is an important part of the character's self view, it is not the main point of the story. Winter, the girl Sargent who not only survived, but thrived through the battles in the desert in the first book, is now back to the big city and her boss is sending her undercover to a girl gang of commoners, who might play a role in the politics of a cit
Anirudh
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What came as a surprise when I read the first book, could not repeat the magic the second time around. The shadow Throne is quite different from its predecessor to the point of wondering if it is even the same series.

What started off as a brilliant Flintlock fantasy, full of mysterious demons, desert warfare and some great writing has suddenly turned into yet another book about court intrigue, and lacks everything that made the first book wonderful

Plot wise, the story is set back in homeland whe
Em Lost In Books
I was really looking forward to this book after the glowing reviews of my friends and the people I follow here on GR. but I only I liked it whereas I wanted to love it.

book started as very strong for me with Janus assigning work to Marcus and Winter which seemed important enough at that time. I liked the new character of Raesinia and her little plan of snatching the power from the hands of Minister of Orlanko (the same man whom I thought to be so powerful and cunning). She played a vital role i
Liviu
sequel to the superb Thousand Names, The Shadow Throne keeps the same exuberant storytelling, great characters and wonderful pov's in Winter and Marcus, while adding Princess Raesinia as 3rd pov.

now the action is back in Vordan, the setting is urban and the storyline is a mixture of revolution and magic rather than colonial war and magic

heir to the throne, Raesinia is assumed by sinister Duke Orlanko to be his tool for reasons one finds out in the first few pages, but under cover of a timid pri
Deborah Obida
Apr 18, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adult
The Shadow Throne is the second book in the series, I read book one back in 2019 and it was unlike anything I’ve ever read. While book one focuses on war campaigns book two is about the politics happening in the capital city of the soldiers we met in book one. Let that not discourage you, there are still cool battles scenes in this one also.

World building and Writing
The world building here is better than that of book 1, the author improved immensely same goes for the writing. The book is well
Michael Pang
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Less "martial" than the first book. In book 1 there were good number of large scale battles (plus accompanying skirmishes) and the story focused on the characters while campaigning across a foreign map. Here, the action is focused close to home in and around a single city. We get to see the seeds of discontent and scheming plans blossom into a full scale revolution.

Great story, characters and writing, just wanted to point out that it is a little different than the 1st book if you were looking fo
Nathan
Fantasy Review Barn

I am not sure I have ever seen a series do a complete one eighty in book two like this one has; I am certain that if I have it didn’t pull it off so successfully. There is no middle book issue in this series; The Shadow Throne improves on the very strong start provided by The Thousand Names.

Wexler introduced us to this world with a book that was at its heart one strong military campaign. The Thousand Names was pure military fantasy with a focus honed in on a few people within
Sumant
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The shadow throne which is the second book in the shadow campaigns series, completely changes gears as regards to the first book is concerned. The first book was a military fantasy while this book is all about the political intrigue going on the city of Vordan. The book started solidly for me, but I think the battle scenes in the book were a bit unconvincing and Wexler wrapped them up in just a few pages.

Some of the strong points of the book are

1.Interesting story.
2.World building.
3.New pov cha
Esme
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, that was a change of pace from the first book. No longer out in the fields fighting, it's inner city turmoil and political plotting.

We get a new POV, the princess soon to be Queen .... and I'm not sure I liked her very much.

I also didn't really like Jane, oh well I still LOVED Marcus and Winter so that more than made up for it.

the action didn't pick up until about halfway through the book, so this book took me much longer to get through than the last book. I think i've been picking at th
Mark
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shortest review, ITS BRILLIANTLY GOOD.

Think thats enough.
mich
This book has:

-An officer who is a girl disguised as a boy who goes on an undercover mission disguised as a girl (yeah, you read that right)

-A clever princess-soon-to-be-Queen who, also under disguise, helps to spark a revolution among her people. . .against herself (sort of)

-A steadfast loyal Captain who never goes under disguise, not even once. (so basically, the boring one, lol)

I’m really enjoying this series. With the change in setting from the brutal deserts of Khandar to the intrigues of t
Megan
Wow. I didn't think it was possible, but I actually enjoyed this more than the first novel. Honestly, this series is going from strength to strength, and only getting better.

This time we move from non-stop military action back to a more politically-charge Vordan, meeting characters who've only been mentioned in The Thousand Names. But there is still plenty of action, fighting, and excitement that happens.

There's so many things I love about this book. The women, for starters. All of them are so s
Bea
Apr 28, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not as interesting as the first book.
Kind of lackluster for me.
Supporting characters are uninteresting.
The political intrigue was all right.

Actual rating: 2.5
Milo
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Review Can Also Be Found Here: http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.c....

The King of Vordan is dying, and his daughter, Raesinia, is destined to become the first Queen in centuries.

But politics knows no loyalties, especially for Duke Orlanko, Minister of Information and spymaster of the empire. The most feared man in the Vordan will bow his knee to no Queen, unless she is firmly under his influence.

Freshly returned from their recent victories in the colonies, Colonel Janus, Marcus and Winter
Michael Campbell
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A vastly different novel from the first but just as interesting in it's own way. We've moved from the far off battlefield of a distant land to the capital city of Vordan.

Where muskets and sabers ruled the first book, and court intrigue and politics were kept to subtle background maneuvering, the first book flips that all the way around. There are some battles, but this novel is obviously meant to set the stage for things to come.

The new POV character is likable enough, and my feelings towards
Scott  Hitchcock
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was torn between a 4 and a 5. The book starts out on a new continent back in their home country and the start of the book is pretty slow and the new characters not never really developed the way I hoped. There's a lot of world building and it's not bad, just very slow.

The duke particularly who I was really looking forward to came off flat. I love that Wexler didn't go for the prototypical villain but at the same time I just never bought into him.

How all that said the last 75% of the book was
Para (wanderer)
I was really not in the mood for this book, so the cards were stacked slightly against it from the start. But the hold dropped when it did and I needed it for Bingo. I haven’t had much of a choice, except to hope desperately it’ll be good enough to win me over. Unfortunately, the opposite happened. Suffering from several annoying tropes, some antisemitic implications in the first half, and no real highs to make up for the lows, it was a real struggle to finish and pushed me into another reading ...more
David Firmage
Apr 16, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely different to The Thousand Names but no less enjoyable. The Shadow Throne is politics, revolution and civil war and has a much slower pace. I possibly underrated the first book with the flintlock military campaign and skirmishes. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
YouKneeK
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadow Throne is the second book in Django Wexler’s flintlock fantasy series, The Shadow Campaigns. While the first book focused very heavily on military campaigns, this book placed a greater emphasis on politics. There is still some fighting and plenty of action, but not as much as the first book.

For anybody who has read the first book and is curious what the second one is about: (view spoiler)
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Shadow Throne (#2) - Wexler [May 22, 2022] 29 27 Jun 17, 2022 01:48PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Shadow Throne 58 44 Feb 15, 2017 01:59AM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: Part 4: Chapters 16-18 8 27 May 07, 2016 05:52AM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: Part 3: Chapters 10-15 9 26 Apr 26, 2016 10:27PM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: Part 2: Chapters 6 - 9 8 29 Apr 22, 2016 02:56AM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: Part 1: Prologue - Chapter 5 7 31 Apr 22, 2016 02:49AM
The Not a Book Cl...: TST: General Stuff 21 47 Jul 28, 2015 05:32AM

• Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Mad Lancers (Gods of Blood and Powder, #0.1)
  • The Pariah (Covenant of Steel, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Dread Wyrm (The Traitor Son Cycle, #3)
  • Ghosts of the Tristan Basin (Powder Mage, #0.8)
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
  • Servant of the Crown (Powder Mage, #0.2)
  • Murder at the Kinnen Hotel (Powder Mage, #0.3)
  • Kings of Ash (Ash and Sand, #2)
  • The Fall of Dragons (The Traitor Son Cycle, #5)
  • The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3)
  • Guns of the Dawn
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
War
See top shelves…
Django Wexler graduated from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh with degrees in creative writing and computer science, and worked for the university in artificial intelligence research. Eventually he migrated to Microsoft in Seattle, where he now lives with two cats and a teetering mountain of books. When not planning Shadow Campaigns, he wrangles computers, paints tiny soldiers, and plays g ...more

The Shadow Campaigns (5 books)
  • The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
  • The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • The Infernal Battalion (The Shadow Campaigns, #5)