Start by marking “Tarnish” as Want to Read:

Tarnish

(The Thunderstrike Saga #1-3)

What kind of hero would you be?

Silver, they call it, the light of the full moon: celestial magic that changes men into beasts and calls the dead from their graves—and young men to their destiny...

Paperback, 1st edition, 400 pages
Published July 15th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Tarnish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarnish

Start your review of Tarnish
Daphne
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-audio, quest
I absolutely loved the innovative take on the classical epic fantasy Tarnish brought to the genre. I didn't start getting into the story until about 40 minutes in, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. By the end of the first hour I was absolutely hooked, and was really sad when I had to pause to do real life things. I just wanted to get back to the book and finish it.

I'm definitely adding another work from Brink to my TBR pile to see if his other work is as enjoyable as Tarnish. I also REALLY hope h
Sydney
Different than my normal read purely because it has a male pro-tag but VERY good. I would say this is more of a crossover YA-Adult book based on the storyline, characters, and tempo. I enjoyed it immensely. Well done.

--Update--

So I was lucky enough to actually a signed copy of this from the author. CHEA! So thank you thank you Mr. Brink for the fantastical read.

The longer I am away from this book, the more I like it. What's amazing about this book is that it is its own story. It's well wri
Marie
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a few chapters to get going on this book.... but once it caught me, it CAUGHT me. I found myself looking forward to reading it as soon as I woke up, and making extra time (outside of my normal reading time) to read it.

This is good vs. evil, but complex and interesting. I really enjoyed the characters. I liked the tales that were being told to fill in the character stories.

The surprise ending was a total surprise. It was not only a surprise but it was one of the most interesting plot
Bob Craton
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently I posted an offer on Goodreads to review a select few fantasies if the authors could convince me their work was something original and not just a re-hash of standard themes and characters. (I specifically excluded elves, vampires, magic swords and other things.) J.D. Brink promised that his books fit my criteria and he told the truth.

I started with “The Prince of Luster and Decay” which is a short book that is something of a prologue to this series. I was impressed, as you can tell if y
Patrick LeClerc
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tarnish is a new take on the classic Hero’s Journey tale. A young man leaves on a quest to get help for his village which has come under attack from strange creatures. The theme is classic but Brink does a remarkable job capturing the mentality of a boy on the cusp of manhood. Anyone who has made that painful, awkward transition can feel the authenticity of young Wil’s emotions, ranging from the unshakable confidence and feeling of immortality, to troubled self examination. I can’t remember ever ...more
Richard Mactough
Tarnish is a coming of age tale about Billy Cole or his alter-ego Wil Thunderstrike. After his village is attacked, Billy goes on a quest for help to fight the creatures also known as gromlins. Thunderstrike lives the true tale about a young teenage boy becoming a man. All of the characters are vibrant and well driven. They all stood out from one another, eliminating generic characteristics.

The story was well written, however, the storytelling told within the story was a bit too much. I felt it
Karri
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was exactly what I've been missing! An epic tale with swords, magic, and heroes!

Since finishing series' such as The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (James Oliver Rigney, Jr.), and The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind, I have been trying to fill a void I didn't know I had, that is until reading Tarnish. While the writing style is different, it's just enough to show the reader how unique J.D. Brink's telling of this type of story is. This is a wonderful fantasy novel with everything a fa
Melissa ownsbey
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed this book
it was awesome would make
an great movie
it had everything i like
blood swords dragons beast
fighting i give it 5 stars plus
to review
Andie
I first need to thank the author, J.D Brink, for allowing me access to this book in exchange for a review- sorry for putting it off for a little bit and thank you for being understanding about it!

I was contacted by the author back in April via e-mail, amd he asked if I would be interested in reviewing his novel “Tarnish”. I looked at the Goodreads page and pretty much replied with a “Hells yeah!”. Fantasy? Sword fights? Monsters? Destiny? Gimme, Gimme!

The novel itself is enjoyable. Unfortunately
Kyra
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For more reviews, please visit my site.

Actual rating: 3.5

When danger comes to the small town of Redfield, one boy goes out in search for help. He follows a path that may lead to fame, riches and glory, and his name is Wil Thunderstrike. What Wil doesn't realise is that his path is about to take a wrong turn.

This book is first and foremost a coming of age story for a young man. It deals with lessons that he needs to learn about how the world works outside of Redfield, relationships, friendships a
Rob Rowntree
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author: J D Brink

***

Goodreads blurb...

What kind of hero would you be?

When his village is attacked by creatures from Blood Marsh, Billy Cole volunteers to find help. But it’ll take more than a sword and the inspiring tales of his legendary idols to survive the harsh world beyond Redfield. Taking the name Wil Thunderstrike, he
AudioBookReviewer
My original Tarnish: Complete Trilogy Edition audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Tarnish by J.D. Brink is the first in a fantasy series called The Thunderstrike Saga. This start to a coming of age saga follows Billy Cole as he leaves his small town of Redfield to become an epic hero like those he heard about in tavern stories. The son of and mentored by legendary heroes, he has a lot to live up to. When Redfield is threatened from unknown and magical threats, Bil
Saritha
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Saritha by: the author
i was given a free copy by the author in exchange for an honest review. i have done my best to do so.

It is a book about heroes, magic and adventure. There are tales within the tales which make it even more interesting. The story tells us about the journey of Billy Cole as he sets off to get help to save his village. He dons the personality of Wil Thunderstrike, a storyteller & a hero so as to get help. The story begins on a very interesting note & develops at a good pace.

Billy is a 16 year old b
Mike (the Paladin)
Well crap...look there is an old country remedy usually called the spring tonic or simply sulfur and molasses. It's just that sulfur and molasses. In the case of the tonic you mix it together, one teaspoon of sulfur to two teaspoons of molasses. Here I can't mix it, you get the two separately. So, what do you want first the sulfur or the molasses?

Okay, guess we'll go with the sulfur first. I think you will if you read much see a lot of this book coming including the "BIG CLIMAX" or "BIG SECRET".
Janna
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Full Disclosure: I received this book as a First Reads novel!
I bought myself a digital copy anyway, just so I could keep reading it when not at home!

Do not be fooled by how long it took me to read this book: In the middle I graduated from college and lost a family member, so I had some longer-than-normal breaks in my reading schedule.

I loved this book. I was all prepared for some long-winded, drawn-out, fantasy rehash and was completely flattened by how clean and original the writing felt. It'
Pennie
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.D. Brink has done it again with 'Tarnish'. A talented author whom dabbles in many genres with out-of-the-box twisted and interesting scenarios. After reading 'Hungry Gods (Identity Crisis)' I was hooked into his world of epic imagination once again.

Billy Cole sets off in an adventure of futuristic villains and fantasy periling back drops. A touch of old world theme take him through a quest of menacing creatures that destroy his village. Billy offers to seek and destroy these mysterious beings
Jennifer Collins
J.D. Brink's Tarnish is adventure-fantasy at its finest, and the layered narratives within make it an incredibly fun read. His characters are as distinct as they are engaging, and their realistically flawed natures are an added bonus which make the book feel as realistic as fantasy could.

Part of the appeal comes from the book not simply being any one thing---part coming-of age tale, part quest narrative, and partly an exploration of storytelling and storytellers, the book has a depth and complic
J.D. Brink
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Fantasy
**Sorry, I can't submit a review for this book. See, IT'S MINE. But in order for me to bring it to the Goodreads table, I have to put something here so... In my honest opinion, if you like the fantasy genre but are getting a little tired of the same-old, same-old, and would like to see something a little more character driven and mature in your sword and sorcery, you could do worse than to give Tarnish a try...

Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Brian
Cover Story: Silverskinned Hunk
Drinking Buddy: Don't Take Your Guns to Town, Bill
Testosterone Level: I Ain't As Good as I Once Was
Talky Talk: Stoneass
Bonus Factors: Storytelling, War is Hell
Bromance Status: The Old Gang

Read the full book report here.
Todd Menesses
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: narrated
Very unique story and interesting plot twist at the end, had a blast in the narration with creating all the character voices...it is getting 5 star ratings as an audiobook on audible.com and Amazon.com.
Tracy
Olivier Arsac
Oct 21, 2015
KARINA ROBINSON
Mar 03, 2017
If taking a college fencing class, eating from the trash can, and smelling like an animal were qualifications for becoming a sword-swinging barbarian, J. D. Brink might be Conan’s protégé. Instead, he’s served aboard a warship in the Pacific, collected intel from foreign submarines, stood watch hungover behind a .50-caliber machinegun, and worked over patients at a hospital in Kuwait. Today (winte ...more

The Thunderstrike Saga (3 books)
  • The Quest (Tarnish #1)
  • Among the Shadows
  • Heroes and Villains (Tarnish #3)

News & Interviews