Start by marking “Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)” as Want to Read:
Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)

Julie and the Eagles

(American Girl: Julie #4)

Julie and her best friend, Ivy, find a baby owl in Golden Gate Park--and it needs help. At a wildlife rescue center, Julie meets Shasta and Sierra, two bald eagles that will be caged for life unless money is raised to release them back into the wild. For Earth Day, Julie thinks of a unique way to tell the public of the eagles plight. The "Looking Back" section explores the ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by American Girl Publishing Inc

Start your review of Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)
Ciara
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
julie & ivy are chilling at the park when they hear a peeping sound. they follow it & located a baby owl that seems to have fallen out of its nest. a hippie lady wandering by suggests that they take it to a nearby vet clinic/rescue place for birds. julie stuffs the owl into her bag & goes over to the bird clinic. the grad student on staff says that it looks the owl has been poisoned by trace amounts of DDT that remain in the food chain, but that the veterinarian specialists may be ...more
Taylor
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Julie and Ivy are having the time of their life eating snow cones at the Golden Gate park one day when they hear a very odd noise. It's a baby owel , and it needs major help. At a wild life animal rescue center julie meets her two favorite bald eagle buddies Shasta and Siarra. Shasta's wing is hurt, and julie is crossing her fingers that he will be able to fly again someday.But that can only happen if the animal shelter earns enough money to set them into thi wild. Julie comes up with a grand ...more
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Julie and Ivy are walking in the park one day when they resuce a baby owl. When they take the owl to a local rescue center, Julie becomes involved in raising money for the release of a family of bald eagles. I'm confused because the birthday invitation that Julie sends indicates that it is now 1976, but I don't remember two years passing in the books and the date for the series is 1974. The backmatter this time is on "Caring for the Earth in the 1970s" and briefly chronicles the beginning of the ...more
Maggie
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
For this book, it was about earth day and Julie was trying to save the eagles because there were only 30 pairs that had nests in all of California! On earth day next year, I also want to do something with my class and I hope it makes a difference in the world.
Grace
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was really good because she tries to save the eagles and she keeps going to visit the eagles. I learned that sometimes you have to get through death even though it was one you really loved.
Annette
Reviewed by Grace, age 8, who wanted to give it 5 stars. 5/4/2019

The plot of this book is that Julie finds an owl that was poisoned with DDT. The next day Julie came back to check on the owl. Her friend Robin, the volunteer for the wildlife center, said that she brought the baby owl to the vet. Then she brought Julie to see the bald eagles. They are Shasta and Sarah. Shasta had his wing injured, and that's why he was at the wildlife center. They had two babies.
Soon Julie found out that if they
Danielle T
Can't do a series on the 1970s without talking about the environmentalism movement! Julie and Ivy find a baby owl that fell out of a tree, and that leads Julie to start volunteering at a local wildlife rehabilitation center. At this point in time, California only has 30 nesting pairs of bald eagles, and one of them is here at the center recovering from a wing injury. However, if a hack tower isn't installed for their nest, the pair and their clutch will have to live in captivity. Bald eagles are ...more
Emily
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the environmental stance this book took. It teaches about the origins of earth day and also the progress that's been made in environmental education over the last several decades. And it was highlighted by a cute story about a family of eagles and a girls determination to raise awareness of the growing danger to the eagles.
Karol
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julie and the Eagles shows the environmental awareness and involvement during the 1970's.
Megan
My favorite of the Julie books so far; I love eagles so much!
Kimberly Brown
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite series of the AG series. Earth Day, Chinese New Year, endangered animals, bicentennial, and more.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The entire story centers around ecology, as Julie finds a baby owl on the grand and takes it to a center for caring, then is introduced to some eagles. The eagles have two young, and one of the adults had an injured wing. The person heading the rescue center is concerned that, unless the eagles are released into the wild relatively soon, they will have to go to a zoo since they will be unable to adapt to again being in the wild.

Julie and her friends work as hard as possible to raise money to
Miri
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Julie and Ivy find a sick baby owl, they take him to an animal rescue facility, while there, Julie learns about a family of eagles that were displaced after construction of new homes destroyed their home. If the eagles aren't returned to the wild soon, they'll have to be in captivity forever, but releasing the eagles will take a lot of money and the rescue center doesn't have it. Julie can't bear the thought of the eagles never flying free again, especially when bald eagles are endangered ...more
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-girls
The information about the early Earth Day movement is good and woven into the story well. My problem is that this takes places in 1976 when the previous volumes took place in 1974. The last volume took place around the new year, so that should make this story set in 1975. Yet Julie writes an invite for her birthday party as May 1, 1976. The following book in this series is also set in 1976. Not sure how that mistake could be made when the same author wrote all of the books. It is the ...more
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I thought it was good to show how even if you are young you can still take action for things you believe in. While this story wasn't fascinating or anything, I still thought it was fairly well put together. I might recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Lola
Julie is definitely a budding activist. I see her as a fifty year old woman protesting against gender inequality and taking up arms against fracking. I'd love them to do the American Girls in their 80s. That would be hilarious. Anyway, a solid installment in Julie's story. Solid, but not that interesting.
Lori Qian
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Good, but not as good as the other Julie books. I liked that this one made me think about my "causes". What are they? What, other than the obvious like my family, do I care about? What would I fund-raise for? What would I fight for? The book made me think about those things, and was a good story. Other than that, this was the least gripping of our little Julie series.
Kathryn H
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Julie found a baby owl in the park one day and she decided to rescue it and put it in the bird rescue center. Then she met two eagle that had babies and were endangered so she decides to raise money the build a tower for the eagles.

She does not raise enough money at first, but someone who loves birds gives her a check that covers the rest of the money needed.
Ashley
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This one is all about Earth Day. Julie celebrates her tenth birthday by helping a local conservatory release a pair of bald eagles back into the wild. But my favorite part was when her hippy neighbor shows up to plant a tree wearing a t-shirt that says, "Give a Hoot: Don't Pollute."
Kristine Hansen
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This I think is my favorite so far in the series - where Julie finds a baby owl, finds a cause she believes in, and volunteers to make a difference. This is one of the reasons I like Julie - she makes me want to do better in my own life.
Kaela
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I learned that there are many different ways to save different kinds of animals. I love animals myself and I would do ANYTHING to save them! Thank you!
Steph
Part of a great series of books. A recommended reading for girls of all ages.
Nikki
Apr 28, 2015 added it
I really love Julie in this story alot!
Lilly
This book has some interesting facts on eagles as well as a positive message about conserving the wild, eagles and their habitats.
Ciera
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's amazing how one girl can effect so much. This book even shows the hippy side of life back then.
Christina
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice, but boring. I just think the Julie books are so boring. (Isobel doesn't think so.)
Olivia
Jul 13, 2012 added it
the beginning is very good. Really good art portraits! Heart-felt, recommend to ages 7-11
Marya
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, this one is...different. I suppose I never really thought about the beginnings of the environmental movement until I read this book. It's sad, though, at the lack of progress we've made.
K.
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Great chapter book to teach kids about the importance of rehabilitating and rehoming animals, especially endangered ones.
Elaine
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-girl
I like that Julie was an example of how one can make a difference.

• Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Molly Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Molly, #2)
  • Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls: Samantha, #1)
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Addy Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Addy, #2)
  • Rebecca to the Rescue (American Girls: Rebecca, #5)
  • Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha, #3)
  • Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)
  • Molly's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Molly, #3)
  • Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Molly, #5)
  • Changes for Molly: A Winter Story (American Girls: Molly, #6)
  • Happy Birthday, Molly: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Molly, #4)
  • Happy Birthday, Addy!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Addy, #4)
  • Happy Birthday, Kit: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kit, #4)
  • Felicity Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Felicity, #2)
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)
  • Kit Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kit, #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Josefina!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Josefina, #4)
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an

American Girl: Julie (6 books)
  • Meet Julie (American Girls: Julie, #1)
  • Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)
  • Happy New Year, Julie 1974 (American Girls: Julie #3)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)
  • Changes for Julie (American Girls: Julie, #6)