Start by marking “Touchpoints The Essential Reference: Your Child's Emotional And Behavioral Development” as Want to Read:

Touchpoints are the spurts of development, and the trying periods of regression that accompany them, throughout childhood. From pregnancy to first gradxe, all the concerns and questions that parents have about their child's behavior, feelings, and development are anticipated and answered in both chronological and reference form.(Addison-Wesley)
Published October 20th 1992 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Touchpoints The Essential Reference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touchpoints The Essential Reference

Lisa
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, professionals, or anyone who interacts with very young children
Brazelton is amazing. He's like the anti-Spock (Dr., not Mr.). His astounding insight into what kids are doing that's normative and necessary and developmentally important when what we see is "the terrible twos" or the like should be required reading for every parent and professional that works with parents of very young children. Someday I hope to develop a tiny fraction of his ability to reframe behaviors that seem impossible and contrary and awful as critically important, fascinating, and eve ...more
Kristen
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I found some of the thinking in this book outdated and some of the language irritating -- it seems to be written as a manual for pediatricians rather than a book for parents. He talks about the ways he handles office visits and what he looks for in children and parents at various stages of development (the "Touchpoints" -- or moments of contact when parents bring kids in for well-baby/child visits and he can assess development and provide hints for developmental stages). My pediatrician recommen ...more
Jenny
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touchpoints: Birth to 3 informs parents of the touchy transition points of a baby/child's development, physically and emotionally. The first section covers the ages of each doctor's visit and explains what you can expect, generally. Section two is a reference for all sorts of topics from fevers to bed wetting to siblings...it really offers a wide variety of subjects. Section three talks about the main people in baby's life: parents, grandparents, caregivers and pediatrician.

The woman who teaches
Carly
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After completing my Masters in Child Development I consider this book a must for all parents, educators, psychologists, social workers, individuals working with children or individuals trying to deal with adults with arrested development (a little sarcasm).

T Berry Brazelton has a very pragmatic approach to child-caring and development yet he has an understanding and calming tone. Written as a dialogue you can pick it up, put it down, read only what relates to you, and read it over and over.

I gi
Shaz
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked this book and don't see any problem with the idea of children independently sleeping alone (I co-slept with my parents as a kid but craved sleeping on my own as my dad and mom snored ;)). I had mixed feelings about the aspect of toilet training - my sister successfully got her kids potty trained by 2 years old so to allow the child to decide that gives me mixed feelings.

The cognitive / motor skill development which occurs at every stage of childhood was insightful and informativ
unperspicacious
Recommending how-to books for bringing up the kids is pretty problematic. Unlike other literature it cannot be simply evaluated ex-post reading or reflection, but ideally has to be mulled over well after one's little tyke has become older than the age range covered by the book itself - which in most cases takes YEARS. How else does one test out the ideas and practices advocated in these pages?

Childcare in any case is so personal, especially when it comes to the minute, almost mundane details. M
Shana
I'm glad I found a copy at my library's used book sale. This is the kind of book a parent might want on hand to look at each time her baby is getting nearer the age described in the book. I like it because it seems to focus on normal development in babies from a renowned pediatrician but without the medical industry broo-ha-ha that other series tend to have (I'm looking at you, "What to expect...") It's not a catch all reference, just a guide to the normal developmental, emotional, and behaviora ...more
Celina
May 20, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Care-givers
Shelves: have-read
I was a teenager and addicted to a show he had on Lifetime. In his show,he talked to groups of parents and I was fascinated, read his book and managed to drive to Boston and meet him.

What I remember most about his writing is that he stresses that while there are developmental markers or "touchpoints" that a child normally goes through, they don't have to happen in the same chronological, linear fashion that people sometimes expect.

Caitlin
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, own, children
This book is informative, open-minded, and not alarmist, three very important qualities for a book aimed at new parents. This was not the most entertaining of the parenting books we read (that honor goes to Bringing Up Bebe), but it's already our go-to reference when we're concerned our little guy isn't eating enough or wondering what questions we should be asking in a daycare interview. This book is good stuff.

qurat
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents/grandparents
Shelves: parenteering
Brazelton is amazing! The examples, advice, and analysis made me feel my parenting experiences and child's behavior fell within the range or normal (which you often tend to doubt during this business of parenting). This book is an educated parents' and psychology buff's kind of guide to childhood. I wish I were able to blend two fields of study as harmoniously as has Dr. Brazelton!
Lucy Davidson
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! It's an amazing way to assess childhood development and what to expect month-to-month with both progression and regression. I'd highly recommend to any parent!
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to every new parent. I LOVE this book. If you were to read only one book on your child's physical and emotional development, this should be it.
Nicoleta
Puncte de cotitura. Multa informatie si ceva sfaturi utile. Competitia dintre ingrijitorii copilului. Un alt sens dat luptei pentru independenta. Somnul si sfaturile pro si contra dormit singur sau cu parintii.
adri patamoma
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
com a notícia da chegada do meu sobrinho, corri atrás de livros sobre bebês! não querendo ler tudo o que existe por aí, procurei saber de pessoas queridas quais as melhores obras que falam de gravidez, dos primeiros anos do bebê, sobre o bem-estar e a felicidade do neném e dos pais, etc e tal. este livro do dr. brazelton me foi recomendado como *o* livro pra se ler, por um amigo-médico-querido, e passou, depois de lido, a ser o que recomendo, também: se você vai ler só UM livro sobre a vida do s ...more
Jan 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the spirit of full disclosure, I did not actually read the entire book, just the sections that were relevant to my child in that particular age range. My AP playgroup is discussing this and the 3-6 book next month. I'm not sure why it was suggested, since the section on sleep is not an attachment parenting approach by any means. Brazelton, like so many American "experts", is preoccupied with the notion that infants must become independent as soon as possible, that child who cosleeps will be t ...more
Rachel
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
The real reason I wanted to check this book out is because one of my good friends swears by this book, says it helped her immensely with her first child, who is nearly two. I have been trying to figure out how to properly discipline my child as nothing seems to be working very well. He just says use time-outs but make them short and hug them afterwards, and not to use any physical discipline. The time-outs don't really seem to be working, so I am at a loss of what to do next.

As others have said
A.L. Sowards
This book was OK. Half the time I was thinking "this makes sense" and half the time I was thinking "I so don't think so". The book was organized into three sections. The first was chronological development--but it focused more on what a great doctor the author is at each appointment and less about what to expect at each age. The middle section was better. It was organized by subject and was more helpful. The last section on the role of various people in a child's development was so/so.

I would s
Evangeline White
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kids do a lot weird shit in their first 18 months. Brazelton's here to tell you everything is fine–no really it's fiiiiiiiine. Every new parent should read this book. Brazelton could have benefited from an editor who pushed harder for brevity and he made sleep training sound easier than it was (like every single author of every single book, article, and blog post I read at 3am during the first 8 months of my daughter's life did #whomebitter #Imnotbitter #notbitteratall). Other than that, his emp ...more
Janine
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read the whole book because I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but I really liked Brazelton's approach, specifically how I didn't feel like I was being judged or forced into doing something. That's how I felt with a lot of the other books I've sampled. I felt this information was informative about what babies do at each stage of their development and what pediatricians look for at visits. The one sentence I liked the best was: "ultimately, parenting is trial and error." I never t ...more
Robin
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I quit. I can't even finnish this book. There's quite a lot of good information in it. I don't agree with some of it, but that is immaterial. This guy has such a cocky attitude that I just don't want to hear what he has to say anymore. Before I got half way through, I decided I'd only read the parts that were relevant to my kid's developmental stages or issues we've had in our family. Even skipping parts, I can't bring myself to finish the last 100 pages. Unless I have a specific question, I don ...more
Brooke
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say that I read every page of this book but whenever I would think "Is that normal?" I would consult the book and often, yes, my daughter's behavior was explained as normal for her age (phew!). I should've read ahead for the period of time that was coming up next but even though she's not three there is still time for that and for me to continue to be comforted by the words of wisdom inside!
Laura (Kyahgirl)
When my babies were little I read widely, especially when my first baby was born prematurely. My husband and I were pretty much completely on our own, and she was a baffling, squalling, miserable creature for months on end. This book offered insights into infant and toddler development and had many useful points. I don't think there are any 'one size fits all' baby books out there. You take what you can from each book.
Shana
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my very favorite parenting book. He spoke at an event that I helped with and I got a set of all his books. This one was invaluable to me. He helped me see that difficulties I faced with an infant would pass - they were just stages and to try to look at life through the eyes of my child. I wish every pediatrician would give you this advice, too!
Molly
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helpful reference book.

Very interesting and informative book about child development. Helped me to understand what my four month old is going through (and why he is waking up more at night all of the sudden).
Katharine Coggeshall
This book really does "touch" on everything you need to know as a parent of a little one. It's very helpful and broad in topics. Excellent for a new parent.
evan
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't read all of this book, but I did read all of the sections from 0 to 3 years (either slightly ahead or behind Maxton reaching that age). I don't agree with all of the author's opinions, but it was helpful to have some knowledge about what, roughly, to expect. This book does not play into major fears, so that was refreshing. I did not read all the sections in the latter half of the book that described what to do it something is going wrong.
Liz De Coster
This is obviously a dip in-and-out type of book, but it's more plainspoken and less attachment-y than some other development books.
Anne
Feb 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished the first section of this book and already have a few comments.
1. The paternalistic tone of the descriptions of the doctor's visits was annoying to me. Obviously, the doctor is the star of this book more so even than the children or the parents.
2. The doctor visits are highly idealized. He describes baby behavior, which did not fit my own child at all. He remarks how he plays with the child and does all these things to make the child happy- going so far as to have the family
Caroline
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brazelton clearly thinks a great deal of his "Brazelton method" (which from what I can gather from the many references made to it throughout the 'Touchpoints' book consists solely of his own opinions and carefully selected studies which are at least a decade out of publication). As a whole there is little to recommend this parenting manual over any other published in the last 10 years. The sections on Potty Training, Snacking and Masturbation are probably the most detailed and therefore potentia ...more
حاتم عاشور
This book can be categorized as a reference, it enlists child's life with great touch points as it's name.

The first part has titles based on baby's age, every title has the needed description for the baby and parents, what to expect from the baby regard motor skills, sleeping, feeding and future notes, which i see major points to take care of them.
This part continues for age 3 years.

Then it turns with the new part to titles that the author considers it as helpful or needs to be under considerati
Parenting Multiples 1 2 Jul 15, 2008 08:40AM
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth And The Newborn (2001) (Retired Edition)
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
  • Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence
  • Your Amazing Newborn
  • Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Baby's First Year
  • Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting
  • Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • This Isn't What I Expected: Overcoming Postpartum Depression
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
Thomas Berry Brazelton was an American pediatrician, author, and the developer of the Neonatal Behavioral Assessment Scale (NBAS).