Start by marking “The I.P.O.” as Want to Read:
The I.P.O.

The I.P.O.

A tragic accident. An opportunistic CEO. A shocking announcement at the opening of a bizarre new stock market.

Seven year-old Ryan Tyler, Jr. has just been adopted. By a corporation.

Ticker symbol RTJ is the initial public offering on James Prescott’s Avillage Exchange, a market that trades in the financial futures of exceptionally gifted orphans.

Before the brilliant first
Published October 2013 by Beverly Ann Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The I.P.O., please sign up.
Hannah Clor
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Hannah Clor I feel the same way. But what it revealed was what James was remembering, not what he said. He never told Ryan this, so he could have some hope left t…moreI feel the same way. But what it revealed was what James was remembering, not what he said. He never told Ryan this, so he could have some hope left that James didn't....however I was hoping there would be a sequel to explain!(less)

Start your review of The I.P.O.
Ronna
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book free from Firstreads. This is my honest review--

We've all heard the saying-"It takes a village to raise a child." Dan Koontz has created an exceptional and unusual story by taking that thought to the extreme. Happy children raised in happy homes, developing responsible citizens, and improving society may be the ultimate perfection for kids. But what about orphans. Are some orphans more important and valuable than other orphans? Should intelligent, creative, and talented parents b
Heather
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-from-amazon
Ugh!! This whole concept was disturbing but I had to read it. It was well written and the characters were very believable. I couldn't help drawing the comparison between the book and America in general. None of us or our children are owned by a corporation. Thankfully. But when we depend on others or the government to provide for us, we lose our freedom. We give them unnecessary power over us.
The Directors of Avillage were so greedy and selfish and greedy, greedy, greedy. They stooped to extrem
IslandRiverScribe
This is a story of patience, of staying the course, of dedication, of focus. It is a story of greed, anger, depression and revenge. It is a story of psychosis sanctioned by societal and political apathy. And it is a story that takes place in our not-to-distant future, approximately the 2030’s.

The protagonist of our story is Ryan Tyler, Jr., the very first child allowed to be legally adopted by a corporation, a corporation that just happens to be called “Avillage.” Ryan is 7 years old, is a recen
Richard Sutton
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A question well posed, but left unanswered

Koontz never fails to grab my attention, but several times in this book, I found myself wondering if the core idea might not be a bit too nebulous for my taste. Still, it held me through and finally all summed itself up in a daring question for our times: does the end ever justify the means to achieve it? Much to Koontz' credit, he left the answer up to the reader.
Hugh muller
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Amazing plot and concept. Grabs your attention and keeps it. Highly recommend for all who read and think. Do not start if you do not want to prioritize your time for reading.
Rorie
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is fairly disturbing story that immediately hooked me with its unique plot to save very talented and promising, yet significantly disadvantaged children.
Icarus
Mar 28, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting premise, but

I personally did not believe that which was being asked of me. There are many historical contexts in which I would have believed the story. But simply introducing indentured servitude, superimposing really, into an otherwise true to life America, does not work. If there had been enough changes to the world so that it was a bit fantastic, maybe. A period piece, YES! Near future even. But handing me my own society, then saying everything is normal apart from the corpo
Thor Stambaugh
Finally a new idea. A company is designed to identify highly gifted individuals, give them all the resources they need to become successful, and take a share of their future production. This is the same as a capital investment firm, but rather than companies, it depends upon individuals. I totally agree with the premise that the actual chthonic changes in society are not made by masses or even leaders, but a small amount of seriously gifted individuals. Thus it behooves us to invest in such indi ...more
Vanessa Wolf
Someone please teach Koontz computers aren’t magic

I still don’t know how you smile at a person and that emasculates them, but I feel I have to learn.
It’s just... not a very good story. It’s a “technology = magic” sort of narrative which might work if you were only mildly technologically literate (if you’re more than mildly the descriptions and use of computers is probably going to drive some deep sighs, it’s like how your dad imagines computers working).
Also, I’m not saying the US refrains from
Lisa
Jul 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Koontz never fails to impress, immerse and entertain the reader.

I have enjoyed every book I have ever read by Koontz and I have read almost all of them. I have loved most of them. He works a kind of magic on the reader, giving them characters to care about and truly makes them live and breathe. I.P.O. was no exception despite the rather uninspiring name. I'm again amazed and delighted to be transported into another story that is unique and original where this author illustrates the best and the
Melinda
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique

I thought the concept was great. The book explores the idea of a corporation owning children that are considered exceptional. People then buy stocks of the children, enabling the children to have everything they need to become super successful adults. Unfortunately, the corporation also makes all the decisions regarding what the children are, or are not, allowed to participate in. Because the corporation has so much power, they can take liberties that shouldn't necessarily be taken. Also,
Blake Morgan
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid Koontz

Koontz has been my top favorite author since the age of 14- when I discovered a book titled Intensity in my group home. Throughout my time in foster care my one constant was library access, and therefore the ability to live a thousand lives and ignore the lonely solitude of my own.
The fact that this book touches on the lives of orphans and the devastation caused by being forced into a world of strangers and loss, well it connected with me on a deeper level than many other Koontz nove
Ed Randall
Apr 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Excellent Read by “the other D Koontz”

As an avid reader, books are suggested to me by multiple sources quite frequently. When I saw the description for “The IPO”, I confess, I thought it was a “Dean Koontz” novel. Only at the very end, when I saw the authors photo, did I realize my mistake. This was an amazing book-held me captive and I so thoroughly enjoyed the concept! Not often do I read a story that strikes me as “Groundbreaking” and “truly original”. The character development was excelle
David W Onnen
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book. The handling of orphans in and outside Avillage was disturbing. The twist of the Avillage approach to helping and growing, and making money off of the most talented was well written, characterized, and interesting. I really didn't want to put this book down. The book was well written minus a few instances some editing errors. Some of the characters were exaggerated, but that made the book more exciting. I loved the twist in the story, the developing relationships between the or ...more
Phil Calkins
Jan 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best yet! Do not skip to the end!

Avillage? Reminded me of Hillary Clinton’s famous saying that it takes a village to raise a child. Ugh! I was almost put off to the point where I thought I would just discard this read and move on. Thankfully I did not!
Had I done so I would have missed so much of the real development of a child who was the initial IPO, and adoptee, of Avillage, and who despite a desperately avaricious head manager who lost his moral compass, brought light to Avillage’s CEO,
Wayne Pete
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprised

Okay, I bought this book because I saw the name Koontz. Then I saw it was some guy named Dan. Someone must have left out the 'e'. I decided to read it anyway, and was I surprised.
Dan Koontz creates some very
believable characters. They make flawed decisions, some selfish some altruistic,some both. In the end the story ends in a believable place but not a predictable one. I will be following this writer.
Christine
Jul 08, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed

I m not going to tell you not to read a free book. We are all bored and tired of this pandemic. However, this started out as a possible great book then towards the last third it became so unrealistic I could hardly finish. Even if you're at your wits end SEARCH for a better free read or mot. I think so many of us are into pandemic reading! Might as well enjoy it.
Kristina
May 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creative and thought-provoking

Honestly, I'm glad I mistook the name, or I may not have read this book. (And I thought the style wasn't right as I was reading!) The premise of the book is one of the most creative I've come across in quite some time. Admittedly, it's a bit slow in spots and could use direction in others, but it kept my attention enough to read it in one sitting. I'd love to see the author revisit this title at some point so we can see what Ryan does next!
Peter R. Nichols
Another great Koontz

I enjoyed this story and the writing that conveys it. Like that other Koontz, this new guy spins and supports a highly imaginative tale, even plausible. Also like Dean, Dan's I.P.O. story gets a little complicated, leaving me trying to sort through some of the different characters, flipping back through pages to straighten myself out on the important details of the story line. Perhaps this inconvenience is the price of following the imagineer.
Kimberly
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting in a disturbing way. The premise seems at first altruistic; taking orphans and matching them with hand picked parents. However, it is much darker than that. I read this book pretty quickly. I also found myself wondering if something like this could be happening in the world right now.
Debra Barstad
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ending up being a good book. I felt the beginning dragged and was not very interesting but towards the middle of the book it began picking up. The ending was kind of sad but at the same time a good closure to the book. I could easily see a second book coming say aging to say 10 years in the future to know how the kids turned out.
Carol Torres
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IPO grabbed me from page one. I mistakenly thought the author was Dean Koontz instead of Dan Koontz. However, this author certainly held his own. His characters are relatable — his villains are heinous and his victims are worthy of sympathy. Sadly, I believe IPO could only be written in today’s society due to our incessant greed and lack of humanity.
Sharon Holmes
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique and Provocative

Not another tired old story revamped with modern influences. This book takes into the hearts and minds of orphans and corporate espionage at ita finest. Well written with a strong plot and characters for which you feel affinity. Kudos and I look forward to other works by same author!
Gary
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A world where the ends justify the means.

A well told story with twists and turns within twists and turns right down to the final scene. A story of corporate ambition unhindered by moral concerns up to and including murder. A world of orphaned children where the right orphans are sought even if it means that inconvenient parents must be eliminated.
Cheryl
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

What can I say to this story. For once I say a story, rather then a book. I thought Dan Koontz was Dean Koontz, which is what made me read this book. I can truthfully say Dan, that Dean has nothing on YOU. Fantastic story, well written and well thought out, from beginning to the end. I'll just leave it at that, while I go in search of other books by Dan Koontz.
Matt
Feb 07, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story right up until the end where it felt like the author just threw in the towel and decided to submit. The conclusion was not much of a conclusion. You could say the author was just leaving it up to the reader (or a sequel) as to what happens next, but given the deeds done, the general acceptance of it seems far fetched.
Belinda O'donnell
Love and family

If read with an open mind... I believe this author hit on an important concept. Yes we love our children. Or the children of the world. Yet, truthfully our true duty is to provide directions and opportunities for our children to grow into their true potential. Excellent writing.
Mike Godwin
Aug 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very pleasant surprise

I was searching Dean Koontz' novels for my next book when somehow this one popped up, I thought it must be his son or brother. I loved this book, couldn't put it down, the story is one I never imagined and I read a lot of novels. Great character development, good bad guys and good ones that will surprise you. It grabs you on page one and doesn't let go.
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So high.... and then so low!

I really love the story almost all the way through. The ending however was lost upon me. I expected more of a fight. More of an explanation. Maybe even most of the now grown children brought upon the board story ending. I was left wanting.
Iris Hidalgo
Decent book

I did like the book but the end felt way too rushed, it’s like the writer didn’t have enough time to give a good closing to what could’ve been a great book, a shame really, I loved the storyline. Good enough to pass the time though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Ricochet Joe
  • THE SERVANTS OF TWILIGHT
  • Zero In (Nameless: Season Two #6)
  • Light Has Weight, but Darkness Does Not (Nameless: Season Two #4)
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Corkscrew (Nameless: Season Two #5)
  • Kaleidoscope (Nameless: Season Two #3)
  • The Lost Soul of the City (Nameless: Season Two #1)
  • Gentle Is the Angel of Death (Nameless: Season Two #2)
  • Elsewhere
  • The Other Emily
  • THE KEY TO MIDNIGHT
  • Vengeance
  • THE DARKNESS
  • Darkness Under the Sun (What the Night Knows, #0.5)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless: Season One #6)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless: Season One #5)
  • The Moonlit Mind (Pendleton, #0.5)
I'm a neurologist by day, treating patients with neurological diseases. It's a challenging and rewarding job, but medicine is primarily driven by science and data. It doesn't allow for a lot of creativity. (And I'm sure my patients appreciate that!)

I got into writing for one reason. I wanted to tell stories - to come up with an original idea and develop it. To create believable characters, who are

Related Articles

“Public opinion often had less to do with one’s position on an issue than with the appeal of the person espousing it.” 0 likes
“As the next page loaded with another set of 25 emails, his eyes were drawn to the bottom of the screen, where for the first time previously-read messages stood out beneath the bold-type unread ones.  There was something powerfully sentimental, almost tangible, about the realization that his dad had sat before a computer somewhere ten years earlier and had clicked on these same messages.  The most recent one, received just hours before his parents’ death, was from his mom with the subject line, “re: Li’l Ryan’s Bday”. With a lump developing in his throat, he clicked on the message.  His mom had written: “That’s something dads should talk to their sons about ;)”  Hmm.  Didn’t make sense without context. Below the end of the message he found the option to “show quoted text,”  which he clicked on to reveal the entire exchange in reverse chronological order.  She had been responding to his dad’s message: “I’m sure he’ll get it.  I like the idea, but you better be prepared to have a discussion about the birds and bees.  You know how his mind works.  He’ll want to know how that baby got in there.” Ryan’s palms grew sweaty as he began to infer what was coming next.  Not entirely sure he wanted to continue, but certain he couldn’t stop, he scrolled to the end. The thread had started with his mother’s message, “I’m already showing big-time.  Sweaters only get so baggy, and it’s going to be warming up soon.  I think tonight would be the perfect time to tell Ryan.  I wrapped up a T-shirt for him in one of his presents that says ‘Big Brother’ on it.  A birthday surprise!  You think he’ll get it?” Having trouble taking in a deep breath, he rose to a stand and slowly backed away from his computer.  It wasn’t his nature to ask fate “Why?” or to dwell on whether or not something was “fair.”  But this was utterly overwhelming – a knife wound on top of an old scar that had never sufficiently healed. ~~~ Corbett Hermanson peered around the edge of Bradford’s half-open door and knocked gently on the frame.  Bradford was sitting at his desk, leafing through a thick binder.  He had to have heard the knock, Corbett thought, peeking in, but his attention to the material in the binder remained unbroken. Now regretting his timid first knock, Corbett anxiously debated whether he should knock again, which could be perceived as rude, or try something else to get Bradford’s attention.  Ultimately he decided to clear his throat loudly, while standing more prominently in the doorway. Still, Bradford kept his nose buried in the files in front of him. Finally, Corbett knocked more confidently on the door itself. “What!” Bradford demanded.  “If you’ve got something to say, just say it!” “Sorry, sir.  Wasn’t sure you heard me,” Corbett said, with a nervous chuckle. “Do you think I’m deaf and blind?” Bradford sneered.  “Just get on with it already.” “Well sir, I’m sure you recall our conversation a few days back about the potential unauthorized user in our system?  It turns out...” “Close the door!” Bradford whispered emphatically, waving his arms wildly for Corbett to stop talking and come all the way into his office. “Sorry, sir,” Corbett said, his cheeks glowing an orange-red hue to match his hair.  After self-consciously closing the door behind him, he picked up where he’d left off.  “It turns out, he’s quite good at keeping himself hidden.  I was right about his not being in Indiana, but behind that location, his IP address bounces” 0 likes