Start by marking “The I.P.O.” as Want to Read:
The I.P.O.

The I.P.O.

A tragic accident. An opportunistic CEO. A shocking announcement at the opening of a bizarre new stock market.

Seven year-old Ryan Tyler, Jr. has just been adopted. By a corporation.

Ticker symbol RTJ is the initial public offering on James Prescott’s Avillage Exchange, a market that trades in the financial futures of exceptionally gifted orphans.

Before the brilliant first
Published October 2013 by Beverly Ann Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The I.P.O., please sign up.
Hannah Clor
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Hannah Clor I feel the same way. But what it revealed was what James was remembering, not what he said. He never told Ryan this, so he could have some hope left t…moreI feel the same way. But what it revealed was what James was remembering, not what he said. He never told Ryan this, so he could have some hope left that James didn't....however I was hoping there would be a sequel to explain!(less)

Start your review of The I.P.O.
Ronna
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book free from Firstreads. This is my honest review--

We've all heard the saying-"It takes a village to raise a child." Dan Koontz has created an exceptional and unusual story by taking that thought to the extreme. Happy children raised in happy homes, developing responsible citizens, and improving society may be the ultimate perfection for kids. But what about orphans. Are some orphans more important and valuable than other orphans? Should intelligent, creative, and talented parents b
IslandRiverScribe
This is a story of patience, of staying the course, of dedication, of focus. It is a story of greed, anger, depression and revenge. It is a story of psychosis sanctioned by societal and political apathy. And it is a story that takes place in our not-to-distant future, approximately the 2030’s.

The protagonist of our story is Ryan Tyler, Jr., the very first child allowed to be legally adopted by a corporation, a corporation that just happens to be called “Avillage.” Ryan is 7 years old, is a recen
Heather
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-from-amazon
Ugh!! This whole concept was disturbing but I had to read it. It was well written and the characters were very believable. I couldn't help drawing the comparison between the book and America in general. None of us or our children are owned by a corporation. Thankfully. But when we depend on others or the government to provide for us, we lose our freedom. We give them unnecessary power over us.
The Directors of Avillage were so greedy and selfish and greedy, greedy, greedy. They stooped to extrem
Hugh muller
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Amazing plot and concept. Grabs your attention and keeps it. Highly recommend for all who read and think. Do not start if you do not want to prioritize your time for reading.
Rorie
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is fairly disturbing story that immediately hooked me with its unique plot to save very talented and promising, yet significantly disadvantaged children.
Thor Stambaugh
Finally a new idea. A company is designed to identify highly gifted individuals, give them all the resources they need to become successful, and take a share of their future production. This is the same as a capital investment firm, but rather than companies, it depends upon individuals. I totally agree with the premise that the actual chthonic changes in society are not made by masses or even leaders, but a small amount of seriously gifted individuals. Thus it behooves us to invest in such indi ...more
Melinda
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique

I thought the concept was great. The book explores the idea of a corporation owning children that are considered exceptional. People then buy stocks of the children, enabling the children to have everything they need to become super successful adults. Unfortunately, the corporation also makes all the decisions regarding what the children are, or are not, allowed to participate in. Because the corporation has so much power, they can take liberties that shouldn't necessarily be taken. Also,
Blake Morgan
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid Koontz

Koontz has been my top favorite author since the age of 14- when I discovered a book titled Intensity in my group home. Throughout my time in foster care my one constant was library access, and therefore the ability to live a thousand lives and ignore the lonely solitude of my own.
The fact that this book touches on the lives of orphans and the devastation caused by being forced into a world of strangers and loss, well it connected with me on a deeper level than many other Koontz nove
Wayne Pete
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprised

Okay, I bought this book because I saw the name Koontz. Then I saw it was some guy named Dan. Someone must have left out the 'e'. I decided to read it anyway, and was I surprised.
Dan Koontz creates some very
believable characters. They make flawed decisions, some selfish some altruistic,some both. In the end the story ends in a believable place but not a predictable one. I will be following this writer.
Christine
Jul 08, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed

I m not going to tell you not to read a free book. We are all bored and tired of this pandemic. However, this started out as a possible great book then towards the last third it became so unrealistic I could hardly finish. Even if you're at your wits end SEARCH for a better free read or mot. I think so many of us are into pandemic reading! Might as well enjoy it.
Kimberly
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting in a disturbing way. The premise seems at first altruistic; taking orphans and matching them with hand picked parents. However, it is much darker than that. I read this book pretty quickly. I also found myself wondering if something like this could be happening in the world right now.
Debra Barstad
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ending up being a good book. I felt the beginning dragged and was not very interesting but towards the middle of the book it began picking up. The ending was kind of sad but at the same time a good closure to the book. I could easily see a second book coming say aging to say 10 years in the future to know how the kids turned out.
Carol Torres
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IPO grabbed me from page one. I mistakenly thought the author was Dean Koontz instead of Dan Koontz. However, this author certainly held his own. His characters are relatable — his villains are heinous and his victims are worthy of sympathy. Sadly, I believe IPO could only be written in today’s society due to our incessant greed and lack of humanity.
Sharon Holmes
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique and Provocative

Not another tired old story revamped with modern influences. This book takes into the hearts and minds of orphans and corporate espionage at ita finest. Well written with a strong plot and characters for which you feel affinity. Kudos and I look forward to other works by same author!
Gary
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A world where the ends justify the means.

A well told story with twists and turns within twists and turns right down to the final scene. A story of corporate ambition unhindered by moral concerns up to and including murder. A world of orphaned children where the right orphans are sought even if it means that inconvenient parents must be eliminated.
Laura Valdez
So high.... and then so low!

I really love the story almost all the way through. The ending however was lost upon me. I expected more of a fight. More of an explanation. Maybe even most of the now grown children brought upon the board story ending. I was left wanting.
Iris Hidalgo
Decent book

I did like the book but the end felt way too rushed, it’s like the writer didn’t have enough time to give a good closing to what could’ve been a great book, a shame really, I loved the storyline. Good enough to pass the time though.
Tom Winscher
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Concept

I Really did not know what to expect from this novel ,but once again Koontz takes seemingly normal concept into arena most would never think about and pulls it off in typical Dean Koontz fashion, Wow!
James Bradbury
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Child Needs Someone

Without giving the plot away I will say, this story is different and well worth reading but do so with an open mind.
I have had a lot of trauma in my life but nothing what happens in this story. Enjoy.
Rebecca Bearden
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not the typical Koontz

This was an easy, quick read. I have read a dozen of Dean Koontz books and this is very different (not in a bad way). Suspenseful with a good story line.
Hannah Clor
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book from start to finish. Quite a concept for an exchange, and totally bonkers. But this book had me addicted. Great story, hoping for a sequel.
kelley flink
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A.

A nice change from the usual formatted and predictable koonz. Give it a try. Not sorry that I did. !
Michelle
Good book

You people should just read this book yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourself and I really enjoyed reading this book very much so. Shelley MA
Tammy Millington
I was unable to stop reading

I downloaded this book because I thought it said Dean Koontz. But I read this book because it was truly original and a great read from start to finish.
Viola Elaine Smith
The IPO

Good book. Kept my interest until the end. An unusual plot. Would tell others that Dan Koontz will likely be as good a writer as his Dad. Keep it up!
Veronica Fuentes-Castillo
Damn that was gold

I couldn't put it down from first page to last, the ending WHAT!!! Definitely a worthy read, as always not disappointing
Mo
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strange idea. Different and unexpected.
kim koll
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool

Quick pace great read very deep and thoughtful.fun at all turns as there were many if Dean is your dad way cool
coretta
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Read!!

Once I Started Reading this Book-I Became Addicted to it..
The Ending was not what I Expected and not how I wanted it to End! Overall, it's a Great Story.
Sherry Wessman
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW!

What a story! Hooked from page 1. As is mostly the case. I'm so glad this time Koontz didn't make the weather a character! He didn't need it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Ricochet Joe
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Darkness Under the Sun (What the Night Knows, #0.5)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Last Light (Ashley Bell, #0.25)
  • Devoted
  • Wilderness (Innocence, #0.5)
  • The Moonlit Mind (Pendleton, #0.5)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • The Sickness
  • The Neighbor (The City, #0.5)
  • Final Hour (Ashley Bell, #0.5)
  • Cold Fire
  • Infested
  • The Vision
I'm a neurologist by day, treating patients with neurological diseases. It's a challenging and rewarding job, but medicine is primarily driven by science and data. It doesn't allow for a lot of creativity. (And I'm sure my patients appreciate that!)

I got into writing for one reason. I wanted to tell stories - to come up with an original idea and develop it. To create believable characters, who are

News & Interviews

“Public opinion often had less to do with one’s position on an issue than with the appeal of the person espousing it.” 0 likes
“Make a difference,” she said.  “Love.  Be loved.  And be happy.” ” 0 likes