Start by marking “One Day In Budapest (ARKANE #4)” as Want to Read:
One Day In Budapest (ARKANE #4)

One Day In Budapest

(ARKANE #4)

A relic, stolen from the heart of an ancient city.
An echo of nationalist violence not seen since the dark days of the Second World War.

Budapest, Hungary. When a priest is murdered at the Basilica of St Stephen and the Holy Right relic is stolen, the ultra-nationalist Eröszak party calls for retribution and anti-Semitic violence erupts in the city.

Dr Morgan Sierra, psycholo
Paperback, Print, 180 pages
Published November 10th 2013 by Createspace (first published August 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about One Day In Budapest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day In Budapest

Christine Myers
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly a thrill ride that will leave you breathless and also make you think, the latest from J.F. Penn is everything it should be. Morgan Sierra has become one of my favorite kick-ass action heroines and the author one of the reasons I enjoy a good thriller. This shorter, stand-alone adventure for Morgan has all of the hallmarks I've come to associate with Ms. Penn's writing: an unforgettable hook, spot-on pacing, and characters that come alive with the briefest of sketches. Though I know novella ...more
Gyula
Shelves: thriller
When I saw the title I knew I had to read this story. I'm Hungarian by origin, and you can understand that a title like this catches my eyes. The novella connected on different levels.
It was nice to read a story in English playing out on the streets of Budapest, which I know well. But I wouldn't give more stars only because of it, there was something else. It worked well on emotional level. The story touched a real problem: rise of the right-wing nationalism. I never understood why people hate t
Katy
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, politics
This is a historical fiction novella with a touch of a Dan Brown novel. The author places the beauty of Budapest next to the horror of WWII and next to numerous accounts of continued acts of genocide around the world creates a thriller where history is set to repeat itself in modern day Budapest.
The story is short, fast paced, over one day, cleverly written, and really makes you think about what is going on in today’s world. Have we learned anything? How far if at all have we come from the atroc
Neil
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella is book 4 in the writer's ARKANE series, and despite its length was an educational, as well as an entertaining read. Things begin easily enough with Dr Morgan Sierra tasked with carrying back a couple of items from the infamous Gold Train of WWII. These are to be returned to the main synagogue in Budapest.
When the priest guarding the relic of the 'Holy Right', is found brutally murdered, and the relic missing, accusing fingers point at the Jewish community. There was a simmering und
Peter  Younghusband
Shelves: own
Typical style of Joanna Penn and in style of the ARKANE Thriller series. A well researched history of Budapest, the effects of WWII and the country's Jewsh history and its legends and myth all wound together in a fast paced novella outlining one day's adventure for Morgan Sierra.

This ending lays a clue to the next ARKANE thriller, and by the sounds of it, this next one is going to be a good one!!
Alyson
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great novella which really makes you feel that you are actually visiting Budapest. For a short read, this has a real depth of research and intricacy with believable characters and a fast-paced storyline.

It's great to find Morgan Sierra off on another adventure, and this novella will not disappoint! The plot is full of history, religion and story expertly blended together.

Highly recommended!
Ian
I loved this novella.

It moved at great pace, with some interesting characters and a heroine I look forward to reading more. But what made it so captivating for me was that I experienced some of the sights of Budapest plus got a history lesson on their significance. A conspiracy thriller involving religion and politics is always great fodder for a novel.

Congratulations Joanna. Now to start on the ARKANE series of novels Jo has written starring the heroine from this novella, Morgan Sierra.
Eve K
Apr 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Anti-nationalist propaganda at a time when Europe sorely needs nationalism for our Western values to survive.
Stephen
This novella was provided to me by the author when I received her novel PROPHECY for review. I had never opened the novella until recently. I have read all of J.F. Penn's other ARKANE series that leads into this novella, and I want to reads the entire series.

As the title suggests strongly, the story begins in Budapest (and stays there for the entirety of the story). The major focus of the story is a divide between the Jewish and non-Jewish members of the Hungarian populace.

As with all ARKANE st
Anne
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
One Day in Budapest is my first taste of author J F Penn's writing, and at just 105 pages (in the print copy), it is an ideal way to sample her work. The novella features Dr Morgan Sierra from the ARKANE thrillers, but is stand-alone and can be read separately from the ARKANE series.

This is a story packed with action from start to finish and Penn has a real depth to her writing that is incredibly skilful. There are not many authors who could produce such a vivid story, involving some well-drawn
Eric Praschan
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
J.F. Penn’s One Day in Budapest is a richly textured, eerily plausible thriller. Morgan Sierra embarks on a one-day adventure to Budapest to return artifacts to a synagogue. She finds herself teaming with Zoltan Fischer, a security consultant, to try to stop a whirlwind of nationalist propaganda and brewing evil. As with the other riveting ARKANE stories, this novella is filled with vivid settings, compelling characters, and a fascinating mix of psychology, history, and religion.

Penn takes the
Toni Osborne
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book 4, in the Arcane series

This chilling and pulse- pounding suspense drama brings us to modern day Budapest in a conspiracy where religion and politics intersect. J.F Penn has absolutely created a captivating and well researched fictional tale and has skillfully painted and handled tension and fanaticism to a tee.

I admit not being too enthused with the series after reading “Stone of Fire”, the first book. How wrong was I to think this? The second book I read I became hooked and realised how o
Carmen
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review
published first on my blog page

As an European citizen myself and, as I can say I lived history - the fall of communism in Europe and that of the Iron Curtain - and as a witness of what is happening right now on the political, social and economic scene in all the former countries of the Warsaw's treaty, I was highly interested in reading Ms. Penn's novella. It was highly rewarding. I read it in a go. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A real page turner, fas
Marcia Richards
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Joanna Penn has done it again...she's written a novella rich in imagery based on solid research, which transports the reader to a politically torn Budapest. The fictitious events intrigued and fascinated this reader with the darkness of its evil men.

Morgan Sierra appears in this story as tough, empathetic and determined to right wrongs, as she was in Penn's trilogy, fighting now against a new enemy...racial hatred while trying to save the victims and restoring peace by returning a historical ar
Di Worley
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Race against time

A slightly different slant on this series, but with no less tension or compelling storyline. This covers the use of a relic, revered as of great significance to national identity and feelings. The purpose to stir up hatred of a racial minority within Hungary and to ensure the sweep to power of an extreme right wing political leader. Sadly, despite the lessons of history, there has been an increase in support of the far right and an increase in both anti Semitic feelings and othe
Tom Evans
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
On the surface, it's another 'action movie' kinda book from the Dan Brown, Jason Bourne school. Morgan Sierra is a lovely composite of Lara Croft, Hannibal Jones and a smidgeon of James Bond.

On a whole other level though the book a salutary reminder that the 'old days' of hate are never that far away if we let fear-full thinking gain a foothold.

Well done for encapsulating so much of a point in a book that takes less than a day to read. I am heading to Budapest next year as it happens and my itin
Clarissa
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review in the next few days. :)
Graham Downs
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
This was... well, it was nice. It was a pleasant interlude, and probably the one most likely to be read as a standalone (although I've come to believe all the books in this series can pretty well be read as standalones).

It reminded me of that obligatory episode in any long-running TV series, where the characters face something that maybe does a little to expand our knowledge of the universe in which they live, but otherwise has nothing to do with the overarching plot.

Which, now that I think of i
Graeme
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a tough one to read. Not because it was poorly written, it wasn't. Nor because it wasn't engaging, because it was. It was tough to read because of the content matter.

As Joanna Penn states in her author's note, the threat of right-wing nationalism is not something relegated to the history pages, nearly every country in the world has a vocal right-wing movement, preaching hate towards minority groups. As a member of a minority group myself, I am all too aware of the casual discrimination
Melissa Hartfiel
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was a quick read - more of a novella than a novel. Purely by coincidence, after starting this I learned some information about my family tree that made the subject matter hit very close to home (my grandmother and her whole family were from Budapest and several of them died in the WWII Concentration Camps). Instead of this being a quick bit of escapism, it turned into a terrifying story that was all too real. I'm still processing it but it was eye opening, sad and horrifying all at once. I' ...more
Connie Becerra
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
See my Stone of Fire comments
Compulsion Reads
When a priest is killed and an ancient artifact stolen from the Basilica of St. Stephen in Budapest, Hungary, a nationalist fervor simmers to life. The theft is blamed on Hungary’s small Jewish population, a community that was devastated when nearly 600,000 Hungarian Jews were sent to concentration camps during World War II.

Into the midst of this heating powder keg, Dr. Morgan Sierra, an agent with the ARKANE Institute, arrives in Budapest to return two Jewish antiques that were stolen during th
Kayla D
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
A free copy was sent to me by the author in exchange for an honest review

The best way to describe One Day in Budapest would be to say that it was gripping. From start to finish, I was on the edge of my seat, hooked on the thrilling story the author offered. Marketed as a suspenseful thriller, One Day in Budapest definitely did not disappoint.

Based on my previous experiences with thriller novels, steamy sex scenes are always a must to keep the story moving alone. One Day in Budapest was different
Courtney
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
After an ancient relic is stolen, Budapest in thrown into a frenzy.
It is up to Dr. Morgan Sierra and her pal Zoltan to uncover who is behind the theft and who is framing the Jewish citizens for the terrible crimes of setting bombs off all over the city.
Jewish symbols start appearing all around the town, it becomes more apparent that they are being framed, and that something serious is about to happen. Bombs are going off in the city, and no one knows how to stop it.
I felt like I was on a jour
Pete
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it

One Day in Budapest is the fourth book in the ARKANE novel series by author J.F. Penn.

One Day in Budapest crafts a powerful story about the tenuous nature of society when deep seeded hatred flows beneath the surface. One Day in Budapest follows ARKANE Agent Morgan Sierra as she teams up with Zoltan Fischer to uncover the conspiracy behind the theft of the Holy Right relic of St. Stephen and its use to foment old hatreds against the Hungarian Jewish community.

Penn’s novella is well crafted and in
Nancy
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Although I was asked to review this audio book by the author, I had purchased the Kindle version already because the title piqued my interest (not knowing it was #4 in a series), so I have to congratulate the author for a book that can stand alone as a well written piece of fiction and historically accurate.

That being said, I commend J.F. Penn on an emotional and poignant manuscript of history. Being a history buff I can relate to these events of the Jews to the past civilizations; to the Jacobi
Jane Blanchard
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read One Day in Budapest by J F Penn as part of the Deadly Dozen: 12 Mysteries/Thrillers set.

This novella involves Morgan Sierra, the protagonist from the first three books in the Arkane Series, but this is not an Arkane sanctioned undertaking.

When Morgan arrives in Budapest to return items stolen from the Jews during WWII, she finds herself trapped in a synagogue as angry mobs threaten to kill Jews in retaliation for that morning’s murder of a priest and theft of a stolen relic, the Holy Righ
David Hammerstein
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a riveting, fast-paced thriller that blends a view of modern-day Hungary with ghosts of the past. The book evokes memories of my student days in Vienna when I visited Budapest, formerly part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The book is written from the perspective of psychologist Dr. Morgan Sierra, who grew up in Israel. Her father was a Sephardic Jew who died in an act of terror. Dr. Sierra was visiting Budapest on a humanitarian mission to return a stolen painting and a Torah to the Doh ...more
Anne
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One Day in Budapest book four in the series. I was given a free copy for an honest review. J. F. Penn is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. I read the first three books in the series and enjoyed them immensely. she has written another exciting fast packed adventure that takes Dr.Morgan Sierra from London to Budapest to deliver an artifact stolen from the Gold Train. While there she gets involved with Zoltan the security consultant at the Synagog where she delivered the package. Someone is ...more
D.J. Adamson

The right hand of St. Stephen, an historical religious and symbolic relic for the Hungarian people is stolen. The event sparks an uprising. Can what happened in WWII so easily occur again?

J. F. Penn offers protagonist, Dr. Morgan Sierra, an agent with the ARKANE, who is not only a strong female in her bravery, but who doesn’t want to save the world as much as encourage the world to save itself. She is strong in determination and with a “sure footedness” in her ethics and world.

The novel offers
« previous 1 3 next »

• Final Vector
  • The Killer 3: The Final Reckoning
  • Tiger Paw
  • The Gifts (A Jacody Ives Mystery)
  • The Black Death
  • Brotherhood of the Tomb
  • Carnival of Hope
  • Honeysuckle and Jasmine
  • Black Harvest (The Project, #4)
  • The Golden Goose of Los Angeles
  • The Devil On Chardonnay (Boyd Chailland series #2)
  • The Half Life of Ryan Davis
  • Sole Intention (Intention, #1)
  • Unprotected Sax
  • Pressed (The Kurt Vetter Trilogy, #2)
  • The Book of J. (Erin Solomon Pentalogy #5)
  • A Sealed Fate
  • Trolls On Ice
I'm the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the ARKANE thriller series, and the London Crime Thriller series, as well as dark fantasy thrillers.

The fast-paced ARKANE thrillers weave together historical artifacts, global locations, a kick-ass protagonist and a hint of the supernatural. Described by readers as a female Indiana Jones meets The Da Vinci Code.

One Day In Budapest is a ch

ARKANE (10 books)
  • Stone of Fire (ARKANE #1)
  • Crypt of Bone (ARKANE #2)
  • Ark of Blood (ARKANE #3)
  • Day of the Vikings (ARKANE #5)
  • Gates of Hell (ARKANE #6)
  • One Day in New York (ARKANE #7)
  • Destroyer of Worlds (ARKANE #8)
  • End of Days (ARKANE #9)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (ARKANE #10)