Jump to ratings and reviews

Simon's Cat #4.75

The Bumper Book of Simon's Cat

In the last five years, Simon's Cat has become a national treasure and a global phenomenon. Star of over twenty-five films, which have been watched over 350 million times, and winner of a dozen major industry awards, Simon's Cat has captured the hearts of a global audience. In this first major paperback edition author, animator and illustrator Simon Tofield brings together the best cartoons from the first three bestselling books, with exclusive new material and a unique 'How to Draw' section. This really is The Bumper Book of Simon's Cat.

408 pages, Paperback

First published October 1, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Simon Tofield

31 books226 followers
Simon started drawing cartoons at an early age and went to study Graphics and Animation at De Montfort University. He has a great interest in British wildlife, painting, the great outdoors and of course cats. He now works in London as an animator and director at Tandem Films.
Simon lives in Bedfordshire with this three cats: Hugh, Maisie, Jess and Teddy.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews
Profile Image for Robin.
382 reviews
August 5, 2015
The jokes where the cat is just being a cat--selfish, fickle, affectionate but with sharp claws, a fluffy ball of destruction--are the best. These are to the cat owner what Dilbert strips are to any office worker. They are loved because they are The Truth.

Any anthromorphization (handing the woodpecker an electric drill, bribing the magpie with a shiny watch, making snowmen), Wile E. Coyote antics (the numerous variations where it pretends to be a birdhouse), Garfield-Odie sequences (trying to fool the dog but ending up the worse for it) seemed like stretching it a bit and were not as funny.
Profile Image for Jackie.
260 reviews24 followers
June 11, 2016
Simon's Cat is always fun, especially when you are familiar with cats yourself. There are tons of situations depicted in a hilarious and extremely accurate way, it's awesome!

However, I must say I prefer the animated videos to the book. Not that the latter one wouldn't be funny and entertaining as well, but in my opinion, it's just not quite as brilliant... Plus, the more pages I flipped, the less entertaining it seemed to be. Still good though.

Profile Image for Jason.
1,170 reviews103 followers
February 15, 2015
I love Simon's cat, I dare any cat owner to read this book and not see stuff on the pages that their cat has done.

The drawing are brilliant, I think the best ones are those with so much detail in them.

This book also teaches you how to draw the characters, I tried but was rubbish.
Profile Image for Merve Akpınar.
399 reviews23 followers
October 16, 2020
I love Simon's Cat, but in video. I really finished all the comics, by forcing myself (the ones I found in pdf for free). I can not say I recommend it. Yes of course if you find it free you look. But no, do not buy it.

Simon's Cat'i seviyorum ama videoda. Kendimi zorlayarak tüm çizgi romanları gerçekten bitirdim (pdf'de ücretsiz bulduklarım). Tavsiye ederim diyemem. Evet, elbette ücretsiz bulursanız bakarsınız. Ama hayır, bunu satın almayın.
Profile Image for Camilo Guerra.
997 reviews11 followers
October 24, 2017
Simon Tofield es un animador que vive con gatos que el adopta, los cuales utiliza como modelos apra sus tiras las cuales son muy buenas, llenas de emociones,situaciones y sobre todo TERNURA, y si, dan ganas de salir a adoptar un gato, pero uno se aguanta las ganas.
Profile Image for Juan Carlos malik.
762 reviews241 followers
December 19, 2020
Un libro de humor blanco que me fascino. Las ocurrencias de este gato me fascinan y me alegran el día :)
Profile Image for Libropacat.
263 reviews19 followers
September 1, 2016
AMO LOS GATOS

Y amo Simon's Cat. Leer esta novela gráfica me tomó unos minutos. La caricatura de Simon Tofield es una de las más divertidas y refrescantes que he visto, desde esa primera vez cuando vi uno de los vídeos con la caricatura animada del autor. ¡No sabía que había libros gráficos! Me llevé una sorpresa al encontrarlos.

Cada página tiene una imagen de la caricatura relatando las aventuras, travesuras y peripecias de este gato y sus compañeros. Me reí mucho, me divertí y a cada momento tenía una sonrisa en la cara. ¡Si supieran con cuantas escenas me sentí identificada! Y no solo por la relación entre mi gato y yo, incluso por mí misma.
Por ejemplo, con esto, porque una vez me sucedió con una amiga, una hormiga y yo:
description

¿Lo mejor? Todo, en especial las últimas páginas donde el autor nos muestra unas fotos de sus gatos y nos describe un poco a cada uno. Jess, Maisy, Hugh y Teddy. ¡Son hermosos! Debo decir que me enamoré a primera vista de Jess. Pero son encantadores todos.
description
«...is very shy of strangers but has a meow that can bring the house down (...) She follows me constantly, letting me know she wants a fuss and reminding me of when it's time for food» –Simon sobre Jess.
«Maisy is the undisputed queen of the house. She loves the outdoors and enjoys long sessions of sunbathing in the garden (...) She loves to sleep on my pillow, keeping me awake with her deafening purr» –Simon sobre Maisy.
«Hugh is the big softie of the house and his tiny high-pitched 'mew' lets me know it's eight o'clock and time for dinner every night (...) He is also a sucker for attention and loves having his head and belly tickled» Simon sobre Hugh, quien sirvió de inspiración para la caricatura.
«...He is such a character and always makes me laugh with his antics. He loves to climb things and spends most of this time high up and looking down on the world» Simon sobre Teddy.

En resumen, si gustan de los gatos tanto como yo, deben leer este libro. No van a arrepentirse, se reirán un montón y tendrán una sobredosis de ternura con él.
518 reviews7 followers
December 16, 2017
When a musical artist is successful, they will eventually release a “Greatest Hits” package, collecting their most successful songs, alongside a few newer ones. Essentially, after a number of successful books and millions of views for his videos on YouTube, “The Bumper Book of Simon’s Cat” is Simon Tofield’s “Greatest Hits” compilation, celebrating 5 years of “Simon’s Cat”.

This book covers the full range of Simon’s Cat cartoons, featuring everything that so many have come to love about him over the previous five years. Although heavily anthropomorphised, Simon’s Cat displays all the behaviours that cat owners and lovers will be familiar with, from getting himself into all sorts of scrapes trying to catch birds and trying to eat everything in sight, as well as attacking all sorts of things, from Simon himself to curtains and sofas.

As ever with Simon’s Cat, the drawings are deceptively simple, being black and white line drawings, but Tofield packs a huge amount of detail into each cartoon. The main picture is usually amusing enough, but it is always worth looking closer at the background on the larger cartoons, particularly the ones based in the garden, as the reactions from the spectators add something a little extra.

Whilst it is a shame in this particular book that the use of colour that appeared later on is not present and the cartoons are not presented in the order they were originally published, which means the kitten who was added in later books appears and disappears throughout the book. The fact that the cartoons are repeated from earlier books also means that if you’re reading this one shortly after one or more of the others in the series, it can be a little repetitive.

However, the addition of the “Simon Draws” section and the introduction to his inspirations, in the form of his own cats, acts like a new track on a greatest hits album and makes the book worth having for a “Simon’s Cat” fan, particularly one who has only seen his work on You Tube rather than in book form. These extras, combined with the sheer amount of cartoons here compared to his other books, also makes this great value for the cat lover in your life, particularly one who is new to “Simon’s Cat”.
Profile Image for Mehsi.
11.5k reviews358 followers
February 14, 2016
I decided to read this after I have seen multiple animated videos about Simon's Cat.

It was an adorable book, however I felt with most of the comics that it would have been better had it been made in an animation. Most of the jokes were still funny but lacked the punch that the animation has.

However I did enjoy seeing the 2 cats again. They are so adorable, smart and fun. Especially the older one, though the smaller one also takes his/her revenge on the older cat.
Though, I also felt annoyance for the little one. I know I had the same feeling with Garfield, and when they introduced that small little cat. At times they were good together, but most of the time it didn't work out, and you can see that happening here to. Seems older cats + newer cats = a bad combination.

Then we have Simon, the owner of the cats (and it seems he has a whole lot more in real life). I really liked to read about his adventures with his cats, at times I felt sorry for him, though at other times I was snickering and thinking: "He deserves that." or "He had that coming!"
Never reject a cat when he has a present for you, he might just take revenge. Oh and a big one: "Never try to bathe a cat, it will end in a bloodbath."

A plus-point to the "How-To-Draw" section that was located at the end of this book.

All in all, I would still recommend this book, but I would also recommend people to watch the animations that are out in the world.

Review first posted at http://twirlingbookprincess.com/
Profile Image for Leonardo.
675 reviews34 followers
March 1, 2014
Simon's Cat es una verdadera sensación de Youtube (al menos para los amantes de los gatos), pero su contraparte impresa no es menos menos hilarante y un vivo retrato de la naturaleza de los gatos: su curiosidad insaciable, su instinto de cacería y su relación de amor/dominio con sus humanos. Toda persona que haya convivido con gatos reconocerá su ánimo lúdico que raya en lo perverso en las viñetas que nos presentan al gato de Simon u su compañero y rival Kitten Chaos. Simon Tofield es un agudo observador de la naturaleza felina y logra plasmarla con una envidiable economía de recursos, con trazos precisos y fluidos. El libro incluye un par de apéndices: una guía para dibujar a los personajes del libro y una galería de fotos de los gatos de carne y hueso que han inspirado al autor. Mi única queja respecto de su estilo es que, en algunos momentos, los animales realizan ciertas acciones que requerirían un pulgar oponible. Entiendo que es parte del estilo de la historieta, pero me parece que, en una historieta con observaciones tan agudas sobre la vida felina podría haber otras formas de representar las habilidades de los gatos.
Profile Image for Ingrid.
221 reviews20 followers
Read
April 19, 2021
Más Simon's cat, qué voy a decir. Sus viñetas y vídeos son imprescindibles para cualquiera a quien le gusten los gatos.

Este libro es una recopilación de los tres que ya había publicados, y tiene un anexo con un paso a paso para dibujar a los personajes de las viñetas. Y como siempre, una descripción de los cuatro gatos de Simon.
Profile Image for Satu.
304 reviews5 followers
August 9, 2016
Cats are Cats and Torfield captures the essence of being a cat perfectly. The drawings are wonderful in the way they tell stories in a few pictures simple or even just one. It made me regret that I can't have a cat.
Profile Image for Wing Leung.
9 reviews
March 24, 2014
The big cat and the tiny kitten are so adorable. Wanna hug that two little cutties in my own hands.
Profile Image for Paweł.
2 reviews30 followers
July 26, 2014
Charming, amusing, hilarious Simon's cat mannerism life captured to pantomime comics like story e-book.
Profile Image for Bladestryke.
229 reviews
December 29, 2014
If you watched the videos of Simons cat, the book might be a little flat. Plenty of funny stuff and any cat person can totally picture any of the going ons in the book. A good quickie read.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.