Start by marking “The Bourne Ascendancy (Jason Bourne, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Bourne Ascendancy (Jason Bourne, #12)

The Bourne Ascendancy (Jason Bourne #12)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  508 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Jason Bourne is one of the most popular and compelling characters in contemporary fiction. Originally created by bestselling author Robert Ludlum, the Jason Bourne series was later adapted into films that have become modern classics. Now, New York Times bestselling writer Eric Van Lustbader carries on Jason Bourne's story with a new novel about the rogue secret agent who h ...more
Published June 10th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Bourne Ascendancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bourne Ascendancy

Scott Parsons
Another riveting page turner from Eric Van Lustbader featuring Ludlum's Jason Bourne. Van Lustbader is a superb writer, better than Ludlum himself. I say this , having read and enjoyed all of Ludlum's novels. This is one of the rare instances where a franchised character continues to appear in novels written by another author and the suspense equals or exceeds the original appearances. This is a tribute to Eric Van Lustbader's excellent skills which were already evident in his own fiction.

This n
Josh Olds
QUICK HIT – Jason Bourne’s ever-continuing adventures place him in one of his toughest situations yet.

Having a creation outlive its creator is a wonderful and yet terrifying thing. Wonderful because the popularity of a character has obviously become timeless, having a life outside its original creator. Terrifying because a beloved character or series is now in the hands of someone who was not involved in making the character what it has become. Sometimes these kind of extensions come off reading
Matt
Van Lustbader injects Bourne into new and highly challenging mission; to impersonate a government minister at a summit in Qatar. When armed gunmen storm the room, the bodies pile up, leaving Bourne as the only survivor. It is only when the terrorist El Ghadan has Bourne taken into custody that the larger plot can be seen, where Bourne was the target all along. El Ghadan has a woman and her young child in his custody and intends on using the elusive Bourne to do his bidding, or more people die. W ...more
Gustavo Rossi
I was about to leave the series after the bizarre Retribution, Dominion, Imperative....and others in which the plot was completely unfeasible with Bourne dealing with strange people (some weird Mexican drug dealers, their wives, daughters, Chinese politicians in alliance with rogue Mossad officers...), with even more bizarre friends...I was wondering where was the spirit of the series and decided to read Ascendancy just to say good bye, and it was not bad. Moreover it was good; some old characte ...more
Heinz Park
Chapter by Chapter to keep you up at night, but you always know that Bourne is going to save the day with some help of course.
Milton Moon Louie
Page turner. I wanted to know what happened next. How will Bourne do the impossible - saved his friend and her child. (OPL) B+
Bryan
---Received from Goodreads First Reads ARC Giveaway---

This is the first review I've submitted for a First Reads giveaway, and it's a tough one. This is also my introduction to the Bourne series, so my review reflects solely on this novel. I don't believe that having more familiarity with the series would have impacted my rating. The Bourne Ascendency is, in my opinion, a 3.5 star book. Since there are no half stars here, I had to make a tough choice whether to round up or down. In the end, some

Speesh
I could be wrong, but I think this just might be the best Bourne, at least since Ludlum, erm…’didn’t achieve his wellness potential' shall we say. It’s one of the few, maybe Ludlum’s own first three apart, that I’d certainly read again. Of course, some of the surprise would be missing, knowing what happens, but maybe a second reading would help me appreciate even more, the mastery of (especially) the final phase this book. There’s no way I can give it less than 5 stars. It deserves more, but the ...more
Tom Tischler
Jason Bourne is now known as a blacksmith. This is someone
who is hired by high level ministers fearful of assassinations
He is paid to impersonate them at meetings or places of
uncertain security. He is at one such meeting when armed
gunmen storm it but the target is not the man he is impers-
onating but Bourne himself. He is kidnapped and taken to an
underground bunker where he finds himself face to face with a
well known terrorist known as El Ghadan. He demands that Bourne
carry out a mission for
The Elves
We received this book as a Goodreads First Reads, but we requested it because we have read quite a bit of Eric Van Lustbader, particularly his Nicolas Linnear novels and his Sunset Warrior series, which in our opinion, are much better than this Bourne series. However, at the same time, we still think these Bourne books are quite good and in fact better than Ludlum’s original books whose relationships and dialogue we always found to be somewhat stilted and artificial, but that may be because Ludl ...more
Linda
As with most Jason Bourne novels, there is a lot of action and this novel goes from the forests of Virginia to the stark mountains of Iraq and Afghanistan to Singapore. Bourne’s friend Soraya Moore and her family have been kidnapped and their lives have been threatened unless Bourne follows instructions from a terrorist by the name of El Ghadan. In order to save Soraya, Bourne has been ordered to kill the President of the United States at an upcoming peace conference. Bourne is also the target o ...more
Roxann
From the cover: In this thrilling and absorbing new novel Jason Bourne is faced with an impossible mission. He has been hired to impersonate a high-level government minister at a political summit meeting in Qatar, shielding the minister from any assassination attempts. Suddenly, armed gunmen storm the room, killing everyone but Bourne. Their target, however, isn't the minister Bourne impersonates....it is Bourne himself.

I’ve seen a couple of the movies, but this is the first ‘Bourne’ book I have
Salina
Summary
Bourne's money has run out so he has to take a job, and what job is that? To be a "blacksmith" that is, he is hired by prominent persons to impersonate themselves, so they can remain safe. In the course of one such assignment, he is kidnapped by "Al Ghadan" who takes him to meet a friend and her daughter who have also been kidnapped. Bourne is threatened, and let loose to kill the president of the United States or his friend and daughter will be killed.

Ok, so I am not sure how this book
Rajeev Singh
Eric Van Lustbader’s Jason Bourne has had a checkered journey, starting off with a de-aged version of himself in The Bourne Legacy (Book#4), a far cry from Ludlum’s portrayal of him as a man who was losing his edge in The Bourne Ultimatum – a hero with no more adventures left inside him, except – may be – on the demands of the publisher.

Bourne, with his world-saving antics and his stubborn refusal to be outshined by any modern assassin, had an exhilarating run in Legacy, but things kept movi
Shrihari Chakrapani
This book is special to me in two ways:
a) first bourne series book I read in almost 2 years now.
b) first e-book which I completed in my new Zenfone 5 mobile.

As per the feedback on the storyline, I still miss the old characters except for Jason and Soraya and the kind of the universal character Jason fits in. But overall the story is neatly woven with some unexpected twists but somehow I felt the climax was not upto the mark as what you find in original Jason Bourne series.

Definitely a page turn
Kay
Thumbs down. Great for a comfortable read while recovering from exhaustion or a tedious plane trip, but the prose in this one is so purple it seemed bruised, slowing the pace of the whole thing to a crawl. I got tired of people getting tied up all the time, I waited for the hold-your-breath moments, and I wanted to really care about somebody--well, yes, I cared for Aashir. Otherwise, blah. Disappointing for Bourne fans!
Rick
I like the Bourne character however I miss Robert Ludlum. Eric Van Lustbader did a good job in this Bourne book (better than other versions that I have read where he goes into far too much detail in the fighting and action descriptions) but this was not a great Bourne book. The stories he conveyed that came together were timely given current events but there was a lot of unbelievable circumstances and the story seemed forced to fit the pieces. Bourne was almost a byproduct of the story not even ...more
Gerald Kubicki
Jason Bourne is at it again. This time he must save an old friend, Soraya and her daughter, but it becomes very complicated as he goes undercover as an Arab assassin to find her. The US government decides that they want him dead and the question is can he find her and stop all the people after him. There is a good plot.
Pontiki
Enjoyable book, somewhat gross at times, but an absorbing, twisting tale of double crossing, politics, and fanaticism, like so much of reality nowadays in the Middle East and elsewhere in the world.

Jason Bourne is a character as intriguing as James Bond, but with a modern twist. He still seems human, with an ability to gain and give some people trust, while playing to others to get what he needs done.

A good pastime book, a genre I don't usually gravitate towards.
Jacob Baron
I have read all of ludlum's books. I can only imagine that he is rolling until his grave knowing th as t such writing has his name on it. it seems that someone had a publishing deadline and no one bothered to read or edit this book. Eric's other Bourne books weren't so bad so what happened?
John
THE BOURNE ASCENDANCY is exactly what you would expect from this series of books. There is a defined plot, and subplots galore. The action around every corner results in a very high body count. There do seem to be a couple of loose threads at the end, so Jason Bourne and his cohorts may be back sometime in the future.
Kevin Stumpf
Eric Van Lustbader has done it. He has taken Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne and made Jason his own...FINALLY. I love the new direction that Bourne has gone.

The Bourne Retribution and Bourne Ascendancy are not the Bourne Trilogy. BUT, that is OK. After the uncomfortable transition of the Bourne character during the middle Bourne books (Deception, Objective, Dominion, Imperative) Mr. Van Lustbader has realized that the Bourne books will go where he takes them and I am glad he is taking them where h
Len
I enjoyed the book, since I'm a Bourne fan from the original Ludlum to today. But, this book struck me as odd. It appeared to me that the writing style and language used in the last 50 pages or so was very different from the rest of the novel.

But that neing said, it was a fun read.
Devinderjit Singh
A good thriller

A good thriller

for all the Bourne and Ludlum fans - this is a good read. good suspense. I liked the dramatization of various scenes and could imagine this being made into a movie.
Nicholas
This series reached a nadir in the previous installment, but this one is a good quick read. It's not great literature, and not something you want to think too deeply about, but overall it was a reasonably satisfying novel.
Jill
Oct 11, 2014 Jill rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fiction, thriller, eric van lustbader, bourne series
I have to say that I have enjoyed this series but this book was a little crazy. The plot was not that great. I just felt like this plot was just trying too hard. It definitely lost something.
Carl Heinz
I'm a fan of the Bourne series and am glad that it has been continued.

I was a bit slow getting into this book, but the pace increased in the second half. If you're a Bourne fan, read it.
Linda
This book is my current winner on how many different parts of the story line can you follow in a single chapter. I don't even like when they do that every chapter. Plot great; following it confusing.
Tammi
I was pretty disappointed with this installment of the Bourne series. The story was ok, but I have to say I was not impressed with the language used. The story felt extremely disjointed. I guess I am glad that I did not buy the book, but got it from the library.
  • The Janson Option (Paul Janson, #3)
  • The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One, #10)
  • The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9)
  • Havana Storm (Dirk Pitt, #23)
  • The Matarese Countdown (Matarese #2)
  • Counterfeit Lies
  • Full Force and Effect (Jack Ryan, #10)
  • The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)
  • Warriors (Alexander Hawke, #8)
  • Independence Day (Dewey Andreas, #5)
  • Tiger's Claw (Patrick McLanahan, #18)
  • Endgame (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #6)
  • Days of Rage (Pike Logan, #6)
  • The Survivor (Mitch Rapp #14)
  • Judgement and Wrath (Joe Hunter, #2)
  • For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards
  • SEAL Team Six Outcasts (SEAL Team Six Outcasts, #1)
  • Act of War (Scot Harvath, #13)
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is
More about Eric Van Lustbader...

Jason Bourne (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)
  • The Bourne Ultimatum (Jason Bourne, #3)
  • The Bourne Legacy (Jason Bourne, #4)
  • The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5)
  • The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne, #6)
  • The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7)
  • The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne, #8)
  • The Bourne Dominion (Jason Bourne, #9)
  • The Bourne Imperative (Jason Bourne, #10)
The Bourne Legacy (Jason Bourne, #4) The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne, #8) The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7) The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5) The Ninja (Nicholas Linnear, #1)