Start by marking “The Bourne Ascendancy (Jason Bourne, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Bourne Ascendancy (Jason Bourne, #12)

The Bourne Ascendancy (Jason Bourne #12)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,575 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Jason Bourne is one of the most popular and compelling characters in contemporary fiction. Originally created by bestselling author Robert Ludlum, the Jason Bourne series was later adapted into films that have become modern classics. Now, New York Times bestselling writer Eric Van Lustbader carries on Jason Bourne's story with a new novel about the rogue secret agent who
Published June 10th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Bourne Ascendancy, please sign up.
Trevis Course he did, all those plane journeys onboard facilities, waiting at flight checkin etc, he even went clubbing at one point, dude had to freshen up…moreCourse he did, all those plane journeys onboard facilities, waiting at flight checkin etc, he even went clubbing at one point, dude had to freshen up for that atleast.

(less)
Melody Kydian Are you asking for the character's name or what POTUS stands for?

Jill Mackin
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Another good page turning adventure with Jason Bourne. I've read two in the Lustbader series and although he's certainly not Ludlum, he still spins a decent story.
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
this is 1000% FREE for the month via Barnes and Noble's Readout serial reading program! I only wish I had read all of the books before this one!
Matt
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Van Lustbader injects Bourne into new and highly challenging mission; to impersonate a government minister at a summit in Qatar. When armed gunmen storm the room, the bodies pile up, leaving Bourne as the only survivor. It is only when the terrorist El Ghadan has Bourne taken into custody that the larger plot can be seen, where Bourne was the target all along. El Ghadan has a woman and her young child in his custody and intends on using the elusive Bourne to do his bidding, or more people die. W ...more
Gustavo Rossi
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I was about to leave the series after the bizarre Retribution, Dominion, Imperative....and others in which the plot was completely unfeasible with Bourne dealing with strange people (some weird Mexican drug dealers, their wives, daughters, Chinese politicians in alliance with rogue Mossad officers...), with even more bizarre friends...I was wondering where was the spirit of the series and decided to read Ascendancy just to say good bye, and it was not bad. Moreover it was good; some old characte ...more
Josh Olds
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
QUICK HIT – Jason Bourne’s ever-continuing adventures place him in one of his toughest situations yet.

Having a creation outlive its creator is a wonderful and yet terrifying thing. Wonderful because the popularity of a character has obviously become timeless, having a life outside its original creator. Terrifying because a beloved character or series is now in the hands of someone who was not involved in making the character what it has become. Sometimes these kind of extensions come off reading
Sally
Nov 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy-thriller
Summary
Bourne's money has run out so he has to take a job, and what job is that? To be a "blacksmith" that is, he is hired by prominent persons to impersonate themselves, so they can remain safe. In the course of one such assignment, he is kidnapped by "Al Ghadan" who takes him to meet a friend and her daughter who have also been kidnapped. Bourne is threatened, and let loose to kill the president of the United States or his friend and daughter will be killed.

Ok, so I am not sure how this book
Ric
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining. Bourne is now a hugely-complicated character though it seems he might have been able to do certain things in an easier way. But then, where's the fun in that. The randy US president named Bill gives this some comic relief from all the bloody mayhem. Lots of good, strong female focal characters and in-depth explorations of Afghan mountain sub-cultures and the Doha wealthy/poor Arabian juxtaposition make this a nice addition to the series.

Very good writing, though the author doe
Scott Parsons
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Another riveting page turner from Eric Van Lustbader featuring Ludlum's Jason Bourne. Van Lustbader is a superb writer, better than Ludlum himself. I say this , having read and enjoyed all of Ludlum's novels. This is one of the rare instances where a franchised character continues to appear in novels written by another author and the suspense equals or exceeds the original appearances. This is a tribute to Eric Van Lustbader's excellent skills which were already evident in his own fiction.

This n
Tom Tischler
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jason Bourne is now known as a blacksmith. This is someone
who is hired by high level ministers fearful of assassinations
He is paid to impersonate them at meetings or places of
uncertain security. He is at one such meeting when armed
gunmen storm it but the target is not the man he is impers-
onating but Bourne himself. He is kidnapped and taken to an
underground bunker where he finds himself face to face with a
well known terrorist known as El Ghadan. He demands that Bourne
carry out a mission for
Kevin Stumpf
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Eric Van Lustbader has done it. He has taken Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne and made Jason his own...FINALLY. I love the new direction that Bourne has gone.

The Bourne Retribution and Bourne Ascendancy are not the Bourne Trilogy. BUT, that is OK. After the uncomfortable transition of the Bourne character during the middle Bourne books (Deception, Objective, Dominion, Imperative) Mr. Van Lustbader has realized that the Bourne books will go where he takes them and I am glad he is taking them where h
Daniel
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I just wasn't excited by this one. There wasn't much action and the ease in which Bourne can blend in with the enemy is a bit much. The story didn't work for me either. I finished it and didn't hate it, but it wasn't a favorite. 2 1/2 stars.
Milton Moon Louie
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-fun
Page turner. I wanted to know what happened next. How will Bourne do the impossible - saved his friend and her child. (OPL) B+
Randy Tramp
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast moving action with a complicated plot. The stuff that makes a book great.

Jason is faced with a life or death choice. Assassinate the president of the United States or your friend with her child will die.

I found myself racing through the pages trying to figure out what was going to happen next. This one had less of Jason, and more of other interesting characters. Camilla being one, Sara being another. Strong female roles.

Twists came in spurts. PONTUS needed to be protected from himself, or s
Speesh
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I could be wrong, but I think this just might be the best Bourne, at least since Ludlum, erm…’didn’t achieve his wellness potential' shall we say. It’s one of the few, maybe Ludlum’s own first three apart, that I’d certainly read again. Of course, some of the surprise would be missing, knowing what happens, but maybe a second reading would help me appreciate even more, the mastery of (especially) the final phase this book. There’s no way I can give it less than 5 stars. It deserves more, but the ...more
The Elves
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
We received this book as a Goodreads First Reads, but we requested it because we have read quite a bit of Eric Van Lustbader, particularly his Nicolas Linnear novels and his Sunset Warrior series, which in our opinion, are much better than this Bourne series. However, at the same time, we still think these Bourne books are quite good and in fact better than Ludlum’s original books whose relationships and dialogue we always found to be somewhat stilted and artificial, but that may be because Ludl ...more
Linda
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As with most Jason Bourne novels, there is a lot of action and this novel goes from the forests of Virginia to the stark mountains of Iraq and Afghanistan to Singapore. Bourne’s friend Soraya Moore and her family have been kidnapped and their lives have been threatened unless Bourne follows instructions from a terrorist by the name of El Ghadan. In order to save Soraya, Bourne has been ordered to kill the President of the United States at an upcoming peace conference. Bourne is also the target o ...more
Shrihari Chakrapani
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is special to me in two ways:
a) first bourne series book I read in almost 2 years now.
b) first e-book which I completed in my new Zenfone 5 mobile.

As per the feedback on the storyline, I still miss the old characters except for Jason and Soraya and the kind of the universal character Jason fits in. But overall the story is neatly woven with some unexpected twists but somehow I felt the climax was not upto the mark as what you find in original Jason Bourne series.

Definitely a page turn
Kay
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Thumbs down. Great for a comfortable read while recovering from exhaustion or a tedious plane trip, but the prose in this one is so purple it seemed bruised, slowing the pace of the whole thing to a crawl. I got tired of people getting tied up all the time, I waited for the hold-your-breath moments, and I wanted to really care about somebody--well, yes, I cared for Aashir. Otherwise, blah. Disappointing for Bourne fans!
Jon
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robert-ludlum
A decent enough read as a standalone but disappointing for a Bourne novel. The plot is a little thin, not enough action and Bourne himself doing very little throughout. And what's with the whole Camilla learning to ride a horse storyline? It adds so little and leads to not much more. This is the first Bourne novel I've rated less than 4 stars. I hope this is just a blip in Lustbader's Bourne-rein, otherwise we may need a new writer to take on Ludlum's franchise.
John
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
THE BOURNE ASCENDANCY is exactly what you would expect from this series of books. There is a defined plot, and subplots galore. The action around every corner results in a very high body count. There do seem to be a couple of loose threads at the end, so Jason Bourne and his cohorts may be back sometime in the future.
Keenan Wells
I love this series because as I read I feel instantly swept into the world of Jason Bourne. The author brilliantly adds more detail than thought necessary as to fully amerce the reader. this book is a lot like an intense cardio workout, your heart rate rises and falls as Jason Bourne runs through the streets of the world.
Jacob Baron
Jul 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have read all of ludlum's books. I can only imagine that he is rolling in his grave knowing that such writing has his name on it. It seems that someone had a publishing deadline and no one bothered to read or edit this book. Eric's other Bourne books weren't so bad so what happened?
Len
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, since I'm a Bourne fan from the original Ludlum to today. But, this book struck me as odd. It appeared to me that the writing style and language used in the last 50 pages or so was very different from the rest of the novel.

But that neing said, it was a fun read.
Devinderjit Singh
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good thriller

A good thriller

for all the Bourne and Ludlum fans - this is a good read. good suspense. I liked the dramatization of various scenes and could imagine this being made into a movie.
Maryann Bosah
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
another great instalment in the Bourne series
Heinz Park
Chapter by Chapter to keep you up at night, but you always know that Bourne is going to save the day with some help of course.
Jill
Oct 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fiction, thriller, eric van lustbader, bourne series
I have to say that I have enjoyed this series but this book was a little crazy. The plot was not that great. I just felt like this plot was just trying too hard. It definitely lost something.
Janice
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: action-thriller
The only real issue I had with this volume was that we're back to the government having knee-jerk reactions to the mention of Bourne's name and being convinced he's out to destroy the country. Of course, in this case, he's the least of their worries. About what you'd expect from Lustbader's Bourne. Not bad, but not Ludlum.
Susan B
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was hard to see where jASON WAS GOING and how he was going to save Soraya and her daughter but as always all the characters and plots nicely came together at the end. His bonding with Aashid and helping him through his grief seemed so heartfelt, his father El Ghadan hated him for what he was and yet his wasn't much better.

• The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One, #10)
  • The Janson Option (Paul Janson, #3)
  • The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9)
  • The Janson Equation (Paul Janson, #4)
  • Cut and Run (Joe Hunter, #4)
  • The Ends of the Earth (The Wide World Trilogy #3)
  • The Road to Omaha ( Challenge layer peak )
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • Deadly Assets (Badge of Honor, #12)
  • The Revelation Code (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #11)
  • Piranha (The Oregon Files, #10)
  • Counterfeit Lies
  • The Brave Ones: A Memoir of Hope, Pride, and Military Service
  • Support and Defend (Jack Ryan Universe, #17)
  • Dangerous Times (Nathan Fox, #1)
  • The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is
More about Eric Van Lustbader

Jason Bourne (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)
  • The Bourne Ultimatum (Jason Bourne, #3)
  • The Bourne Legacy (Jason Bourne, #4)
  • The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5)
  • The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne, #6)
  • The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7)
  • The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne, #8)
  • The Bourne Dominion (Jason Bourne, #9)
  • The Bourne Imperative (Jason Bourne, #10)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • Mary
  • A Map of the World
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Jason Bourne was the name of someone in American military intelligence—a traitor who was shot dead for his crime. When the present Bourne was recruited into Treadstone he was given the name of the dead man.” 0 likes