Start by marking “Quinny & Hopper (Quinny & Hopper #1)” as Want to Read:
Quinny & Hopper (Quinny & Hopper #1)

Quinny & Hopper

(Quinny & Hopper #1)

Quinny has a lot to say. Hopper gets to the point.

Quinny has one speed: very, very, extra-very fast. Hopper proceeds with caution.

Quinny has big ideas. Hopper has smart solutions.

Quinny and Hopper couldn't be more different. They are an unstoppable team.

But when summer ends, things suddenly aren't the same. Can Quinny and Hopper stick together in the face of stylish bullie
Published June 10th 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Quinny & Hopper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quinny & Hopper

Romeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareBeezus and Ramona by Beverly ClearyFrog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold LobelThe Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis StevensonEleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Name and Name
446 books — 47 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareCrime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskySense and Sensibility by Jane AustenWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
_______ & _______
245 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Quinny & Hopper (Quinny & Hopper #1)
Kristen
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love the truly different alternating voices of our titular characters, and I'm pretty sure Quinny's interior monologue is exactly like mine. The illustrations are great, too. I love this book more than a backpack that's orange with green dots, or one that's green with orange dots.
Brooke Beeson-King
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this one aloud to my 8yo because of the length. Some parts were so funny that we had to read them over and over. (Who doesn't think booger chips are funny?) This is a "very, very, extra-very" sweet book about friendship and being your true self.
Melanie Dulaney
Outgoing new girl (very Junie B Jones-like) meets quiet, nearly friendless neighbor boy. Throw in a zebra-striped chicken with an attitude, a snooty neighborhood girl, bully twin brothers, and pain in the neck younger sisters and no wonder this book is a Texas Bluebonnet Award nominee! Added bonus--since it is written from the perspective of the two very different characters, it is terrific read aloud for teachers focusing on characterization and voice.
Kim
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

My 9 year old was assigned this book for her summer reading and she asked for me to read along. We LOVED this story!
Rebecca
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was so sweet and the characters endearing! Quinny is vivacious and adorable but never twee or overly precocious. Hopper is sweetly misanthropic and I loved the way the author made such young characters so realistic. I also love that she made two little girls be the gross-out jokes of the story, not very common! The illustrations by Greg Swearingen were wonderful and I'm sad to see that he didn't do the sequel. A fun book for grade school aged kids!
Brenda
Quinny and Hopper reminded me so much of Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. Alright, so maybe a younger version but still it was really cute. Juli is the one who initiates the friendship in Flipped and Quinny's personality so reminded me of Juli's. As in Flipped, the chapter's alternate the voices of Quinny and Hopper. They are very different from one another and this alternating voices allows their thoughts, feelings and views on a situation to shine. So much so that you come to care about both o ...more
Jayce Senter
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun, sweet book. Everyone knows the feeling of being left out, of having a misunderstanding with a friend. Everyone knows what it feels like to have a true friend who sticks with you through it all and gives us the strength to be ourselves.

This book is broken into alternating points of view, Quinny’s and Hopper’s. Quinny’s chapters remind me strongly of Junie B. Jones. Hopper is much quieter and thoughtful.

Genre: Realistic
AR level: 4.0
Grade appropriate: 2nd and up

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Over
Teresa Garrett
Quinny is a character much like Ramona, Junie B. and Clementine. She knows what she likes, is opinionated, and loves speaking her mind ofter without considering the consequences. Quinny's family has left the excitement of New York City for life in a small town which Quinny does not like at all. Her neighbor is Hopper a quiet studious boy her age who is often tormented by his twin older brothers. Two people could not be more different if they tried but in spite of everything they become fast frie ...more
Kayla Birt
My sister read this as a family read-aloud for her four children, ages 3, 5, 7, and 8. They all LOVED Quinny & Hopper! They belly laughed through the adventures and narrative. My sister and her husband came home one night to find the kids all sitting around their babysitter as he read- they had been sitting for over an hour!

Another good word for this fantastic book comes from my niece, a non-native English speaker who is learning to read (she is the 7 year old). For her birthday she requested a
Lisa
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sequoyah-2017
I can't believe it took me so long to read this book! It is a gem! Oklahoma Children's Sequoyah Committee you did good choosing this one! Quincy moves from NYC to a small midwestern town. Hopper is her quiet next door neighbor. These characters are believable and real, I know them at my elementary school! Dialog is quick, authentic and funny! The topics are important, too. Siblings, making friends, bullying and finding your own voice and talents. This is such a good book! I want to buy a class s ...more
Bethe
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pop this one to the top of your TBR piles - perfect 3rd grade friendship story! Quinny is a little spitfire with a lot of heart, Hopper comes out of his shell, they save a chicken and overcome the mean girls of third grade. Great read aloud potential, boy appeal with grubby, gassy little sisters and bullish big brothers. 230 pages is long for third grade but font is large and there are some pics. Alternating POV nice touch for younger readers and is clearly marked. Fun little story!!!
Mary
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-humor
Quinny is lively, spontaneous, and everyone's friend; Hopper is quiet, shy, and doesn't have any friends. Quinny's family moves next door to Hopper's and they have a bumpy first meeting, followed by some good times that come to a sad pause, and finally a happy mending with a promise to be forever friends. I enjoyed the two points of view, the cranky chicken, and the stinky sister. This is an endearing story of friendship found, almost lost, and found again for life.
Nanci Booher
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is another OBOB book for 16-17 and yet another I hadn't heard of. It's a story of friendship, family and acceptance. It has moments of potential mean girl attitudes (really? These are 3rd graders) but it ends on a decent note of acceptance and knowing who your true friends are.
Brittany
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this to my six year old son. It was sweet and silly and a simple, yet enjoyable children's novel.
C.
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Things I really liked about this book:
It's fun and it's refreshing, there's a definite difference between the two main pov characters, and so it's easy to tell them apart and the way that they interact in general is really fun.

on that note, I loved the introvert and extroverted dynamic of the two - how they meet, and don't entirely understand the other, but become friends anyway. This book did an excellent job of exploring the ways that people have and want different things in relationships, a
Applsd
Apr 15, 2020 added it
I read this a few years back and fell in love with the illustration style. A few months ago, I picked up my own copy from a book sale, but before I could read through it again, my younger brother ended up borrowing it twice. And he's definitely not someone I'd consider a big reader. He's actually interested in reading the sequels, which I didn't know existed.
So when I finally got my book back from him and got around to rereading it, I paid more attention to the words than I did the first time. Y
Rachel
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a fun children's chapter book about an extroverted girl and an introverted boy, a renegade chicken, and friendship. It was well-written featuring some great child protagonists, and I loved how the author wrote from both points of view in alternate chapters. I might not go out of my way to read early reader chapter books, but like the Ramona books, this book left me with such a happy feeling that it has earned a place on my favorites list. Also, I will try to read the rest of the series, ...more
Aug 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: middle-grade, 1-star, dnf

I've had this on my TBR for at least two years now, so I figured I'd go ahead and read it. I got about six pages in, and I couldn't stand the main character, Quinny. She sounded more like a six-year-old instead of the eight-year-old she was supposed to be. In fact, she reminded me a lot of Junie B. Jone's character. I'm kind of bummed that I didn't get to read from Hopper's point of view, but I just couldn't stand Quinny's personality from page one . . .
Casey
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: elementary school kids
This is a nice, pleasant book for elementary grades. The younger ones can have it read to them, while the older ones can read it for themselves. This particular book was about Quinny and her friend Hopper and a chicken named Freya. During their adventures, themes are: friendship, being yourself, perseverance, adjusting to new situations, bullies, how to be a good friend etc. Or, you can just read it for enjoyment!
Joy
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I seem to be out of step with other readers on this book. I definitely missed something that other people saw. I didn't think this was very well written. I found the characters to be talking in a way that was younger than their age and yet some of the topics in the book felt older than third grade. Seemed like a mismatch to me.
Michelle
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quinny & Hopper is very, very, extra-very fun to read. Friendship is such a tricky thing for students. Quinny and Hopper are next door neighbors who have very different personalities. But can a boy and a girl be friends in third grade or is that against the rules? And what does a chicken have to do with it? I would like to read the sequel. ...more
Amanda Wilcox
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I read this for a bedtime story together for her Battle of the Books competition. The characters and storyline grabbed us both right away. Freya, Hopper and Quinny had us laughing out loud through much of the story. We definitely recommend!
Gail
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quinny is a very vibrant and talkative child who moved into the house next to Hopper who's more contemplative and reserved. They become great friends and help each other in many situations. There are many issues that children face that the author brings up and faces!!!
Dina
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this to a class of third graders. It was recommended by another teacher. My students were rolling on the floor laughing. I had the school librarian add it as well as the next book to the library. Kids love this series.
Xydel
From an 11-year-old: Quinny & Hopper is hilarious, original, and good for all age groups. I like how Quinny and Hopper have funny adventures like trying to catch a "zebra-chicken". Everyone should read this at least once in their lives. ...more
An excellent read-aloud for elementary grades- great friendship message, switches point of view, humorous and believable character voice, good for boys and girls, introverts and extroverts will relate to a character.
Cheryl
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this hoping to find a new book to interest my 8 year old. I enjoyed the book myself. I like the way it was written. She didnt dumb it down but wrote like an 8-9 year old would think and behave. The emotions and interacts of the kids at school is a lesson that is hard for parents to help kids navigate thru. And this book takes a different approach to show it is okay to be yourself. Im looking forward to discussing it with my daughter when she has finished reading it.
Oona
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved doing this as a read-aloud with my son. What a great cast of characters. An ideal book for teaching the Notice and Note signposts.
JustLivSimply
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quinny & Hopper is a great duo and they are just amazing! (5 stars) ...more
machollcenturytel.net
Very very extra very cute book!

Very good book! Highly recommend it! Funny, entertaining, and a good life lesson too. I read this book to my 2 boys aged 9 and 12. They loved it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora
  • Umbrella Summer
  • The Unlucky Lottery Winners of Classroom 13
  • The Candy Smash (The Lemonade War, #4)
  • Secrets at Sea
  • Hole in the Middle
  • Max and the Midknights
  • Alexis Cool as a Cupcake (Cupcake Diaries, #8)
  • A Crooked Kind of Perfect
  • The Second Life of Abigail Walker
  • A Clatter of Jars (A Tangle of Knots, #2)
  • The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers, #3)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • Shadows of Sherwood (Robyn Hoodlum, #1)
  • The Vampire's Vacation (A to Z Mysteries, #22)
  • Nikki & Deja (Nikki & Deja, #1)
  • Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den (Simon Thorn, #1)
Adriana Brad Schanen was born in Romania, raised in Chicago, and now lives just outside New York City with her husband, two daughters and a shaggy 60-pound lap dog named Oliver. She can usually be found in her attic study writing books for kids and teens or the occasional screenplay. Her debut early middle-grade novel, QUINNY & HOPPER, won the 2016 Beverly Cleary Children's Choice Book Award, has ...more

Quinny & Hopper (2 books)
  • Partners in Slime (Quinny & Hopper #2)