Start by marking “Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)

Hereafter

(Shadowlands #2)

Rory Miller thought her life was over when a notorious serial killer set his sights on her, forcing her family into witness protection. But her new home, a remote island with azure blue skies and white-sand beaches, seems like heaven on earth . . . at least at first.

Juniper Landing isn't like other islands. And the truth about the swirling fog that rolls in each morning
Published June 24th 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hereafter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hereafter

Start your review of Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)
Constantine

Rating: 4.0/5.0

Genre:
Fantasy + Young Adult

The first book ended with a cliffhanger. I liked its mysterious atmosphere and all the secrets that kept unfolding. This one is not much different except that the fantasy elements become very strong after the main reveal in the first book. It is very difficult to review this book without spoiling the first one. That is why I will not talk much about the synopsis.

In Hereafter, Rory understands why she and her family are in this new place (Juniper
Ferdy
Spoilers

-What's what: Rory found out she and her family were actually dead, and that her new home was some sort of in between place where all dead people go before moving on properly.
Naturally, Rory was told she was a speshul snowflake and that her and her new sexy teen friends were all 'Lifers' immortal dead people that usher other dead people to either the Light or the Shadowland. Also, lame romance, silly secrets, and nonsensical worldbuilding.

-Better than the first book (which was awful).
Heather
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: norse-gods
This book was so Freakin Good!! I am a bit devastated about what happened in the end...although I felt it was coming. I cannot wait to start the final book and see what happens. *damn cliffhangers*
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
DAMN. This one was infinitely better than the first one. I need the last book asap!!
Clay
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YES KATE BRIAN! A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

I do not know what it is, but I find this the most intriguing book series I may have ever read as far as contemporary/fantasy goes. The stories are so well-written and vivid - I feel like it's overall very cinematic. This book was so amazing, and was the perfect second book in this... trilogy? series? I'm not sure!

The ending was pretty ambiguous, but that's how I like it. Perfect set-up for the third book. THE WAIT WILL BE PAINFUL.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I CAN'T
Mimi Valentine
Wow! That was such a suck-you-in-and-make-you-finish-it-before-you-know-it-yet-super-duper-compelling kind of book! I've kinda had a weakness for Joaquin the Jerk since book one, so everything that happened was totally okay with me x)

Review to come! :)
Jun 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, young-adult, dnf
To be completely real, I only read this book because I was an idiot and bought it before finishing the first. And I refuse to not read something I wasted my money on. I had so much hope in the first that I could have sworn the whole series would be great. But the lesson here is definitely not to buy the second book, third book, fourth book, etc. until you finish the first book and know that you indeed want to read the second.

Now if you really want to know my review, here it is..I hated it. It
Trisha
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow
a surprised and explosive book 2. I can't believe all the information that is revealed, and what a full out sprint this book is to get to each new chapter.
The hints of chapters inbetween Rory's really do set this book on a fast pace.

I loved it. I can't wait for book 3.
Vicki
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't see that coming and I was way off with my predictions! I have to read book 3 ASAP! I love this series!

Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I want to thank Disney Hyperion for providing me with an ARC of this book at BEA to read and give an honest review. It was so great to see Kate Brian once again and chat with her a bit about things. Receiving this book for free has in no easy influenced my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Rory Miller thought her life was over when a serial killer set his sights on her and forced her into witness protection. But a fresh start on Juniper Landing Island was exactly what she and her family
Veronica Morfi
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great continuation to the series. I feel like what we learnt in the end cant really be true though. It just cannot! I need to get my hands on the third one but can seem to find a copy anywhere...
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
**Some Spoilers if you have NOT read Shadowlands**

Rory is getting used to her new reality on Juniper Landing. She's getting to know the clique of "Lifers" and figuring out how things actually work behind the scenes, while also grappling with what her situation means for Darcy and her dad. Meanwhile things are happening on the island that are not normal. Plants are dying, crows and insects have shown up, and people are going into the fog and not ending up where they should. It's hard for the
Jon
May 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Check out Scott Reads It! for reviews, giveaways, & more!

I really had no idea what to expect from Hereafter, considering that I loved Shadowlands so much. Shadowlands ended on one of the most painful and most surprising cliffhangers that I've ever read. Sadly, Hereafter never fully commits to the unexpected turn of events that occurred at the end of Shadowlands. Hereafter relies way too heavily on Shadowlands' cliffhanger to move the plot ahead which led to an extremely slow-paced plot.

Shelley
*Genre* Young Adult
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

"Forever isn't all it's cracked up to be."

After learning that her family actually died in Shadowlands, 16-year old Rory Miller learns yet another secret, she is what's called a Lifer, and it is her job to help people in limbo cross over into either the light, or Shadowlands. Being a Lifer comes with some disadvantages as well as advantages. It basically means that she is stuck on Jupiter Landing for eternity and it is possible that her family will
Erica Alyson
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranomal, suspense
I really love this series and this book. Kate Brian has always been one of my top 5 favorite authors since her Private series. Her books got me back in to reading in 2006 when I was walking around Borders (that is how long ago this was) and I was the amazing cover to Private and had to read it. After that every time one of her books has been released it is on my kindle and ready to go.

The Shadowlands series is very different then other books but her and I love it. It is hard to review without
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
The ending of Shadowlands left me questioning whether I would like this series or not. I can say after reading Hereafter, I do like this series.

I found Hereafter a bit more predictable than Shadowlands. If you read the first book, you understand what Im saying because that ending came out of nowhere. Do not expect that same since of shock and surprise from Hereafter. There is nothing really surprising in this book. I saw the ending coming from the beginning.
The setting is still great. The
Kirsten
Okay so maybe this one got bumped to a 3.5 for two reasons.. 1.)The ending was kind of predictable, (even after being spoiled on the ending, thanks synopsis)all fingers just pointed to that direction and the villain might as well have said "Oh hey guys Im right here", but then again the author may just want you to think that...which for once I hope isn't the case. 2.)The insta-love. I really strongly disliked Tristan and Rory's "romance", I mean love declarations after ten days... come on! I ...more
Paula  Phillips
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rory and her family were on their way to a Witness Protection Safe House in Book#1 Shadowlands when on the highway they were killed. Unsure if it was real or not , Rory and her family went off happily to Juniper's Landing - a nice coastal town in the middle of nowhere . However strange things started happening and people were disappearing and not remembering others, yet Rory could remember them as clear as day. In Book #2 it turns out that Juniper's Landing is a town for those in Limbo and ...more
Samantha
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to get to a point where I won't be able to read any of Kate Brian's books until the entire series is out. I went through this with the Private series and again with the Privilege series so really it shouldn't surprise me that I'd get sucked into the whirlpool of incredible storylines, swoonworthy guy characters and girls who KNOW how to kick butt. But I did. I did it with the first.....and I've done it again with Hereafter.

I loved that the *dark* theme continued in this book, I was a
Bren
"You used your last seconds of life to rid the world of a sadistic killer. Evan as you took your last breaths, you managed to make the world a better place".

Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)
by Kate Brian

I'm sorry. I am. I do not give a one rating all that much and I happen to be a huge fan of Kate Brian. So what happened with this?

I read the first book in this series and while I did not love it I was impressed with the writing and the twist. But this book..I found it to be really unpleasant and I
Kelly (Belle of the Literati)
I believe my direct quote upon finishing was, "Mother fucking, what the mother fuck?!?!?!" That ending...that's it?!? Where is the final book? I need it NOW!

See full review at...

Evie
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this installment though it suffered a bit from the middle book syndrome for sure. It was fun to read about the Lifers and ushering souls to Shadowlands or Heaven. I wished the ending wasn't so abrupt and unsatisfying though...
Rapunzel
May 06, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
To-reading this one because that's my friend modelling the cover!

Awesomesauce.
Adriana
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hereafter continued Rory's story with a new threat. A threat that was trying to blame her for all that was going wrong on the island. There was a continuation of the eye roll worthy "romance" and Rory playing the hero. This was disappointingly not as exciting as the first book. Rory and Tristan together is written horribly. I don't understand how I just finished the story when I feel like there is so much more to know. I do want to know what happens in the end so I may read the final book. ...more
Jenni Arndt
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-ebook
Actual rating is 2.5

After the shocking finish of Kate Brians Shadowlands last year, Hereafter became one of my most anticipated titles of this year. I mean that cliffhanger completely blindsided me and left me pining for more. Unfortunately, due to the way that the previous book ended there is no way that I can make this review spoiler free for the series. So if you havent read the first book and do plan to you probably should just stop reading this review now. Ok, now that we have that sorted
Heather
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
So, I know a lot of people didn't enjoy the first novel in this series as much as I did. But I read purely for joy and happily overlook plot holes and other things if the novel entertains me. Most of the time, this is easy. Not as easy in this novel. ****If you haven't read the first novel, there will be spoilers from that novel***. So, who is the bad guy or what do you do with your characters when you kill off the bad guy in the first book? Well, you have to come up with something even more ...more
Merisha28
Hereafter by Kate Brian
Print Length: 321 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1423164849
Publisher: Disney Hyperion (October 1, 2013)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

My Review~
I received this Arc from the publisher in exchange for a honest unbiased review!
I can't wait for the third book!!!!! This series is killing me!! At the end, you are questioning if you truly know the characters or are they a facade?! I would like to point out in this book that on the bad guy chapters it is generic so after
Shy The WidowMaker
I need to start out by saying I haven't read the first book in this series but after reading this one I need to go back and read it. I loved the premise of this book and it was such a cool tale. I loved the town of Juniper Landing because it seemed like such a quaint little seaside town but Rory soon finds out it is way more than that. I have to say that I liked the character of Rory. She would do anything to keep her family safe and let's face it a girl that faces off and takes down her serial ...more
Farah Jay
Disappointing. This book was just disappointing. After loving Shadowlands, I was so happy that I got my hands on this one. Gorgeous cover, but horrible story. I just felt like this was a filler book. There wasn't much interesting, and it was just lacking in so many ways. I still stuck to it because of how much I loved the first one, but man was I disappointed and upset that this one wasn't as good as the first. Like what everyone says, this book suffered from middle book syndrome.
The story
Nicole
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bea13
This book helped to make Shadowlands actually make sense. In case you missed my review of Shadowlands you can check it out here. When I first finished the book, I was a little bit outraged because I was confused by the ending and I felt like the book had no purpose, and it was really upsetting. I was also pissed off because I thought that this book was a stand alone. What shocked me was finding out that the book was actually part of a trilogy.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked getting pulled
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Blue Moon (The Immortals, #2)
  • Icons (Icons, #1)
  • Photography: The Definitive Visual History
  • The Photograph as Contemporary Art
  • The Scary States of America
  • A Deep Dark Secret
  • Travels of Thelonious (The Fog Mound #1)
  • Ascension (Phobos, #1)
  • Rogue Wave (Waterfire Saga, #2)
  • 鬼滅の刃 2 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 2] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #2)
  • Farenheit 451 / What Is a Dictatorship? Paired Set
  • Anything But Ordinary
  • The Killing Woods
Kate Brian is the author of the SHADOWLANDS TRILOGY (SHADOWLANDS, HEREAFTER & ENDLESS), as well as the New York Times bestselling PRIVATE and PRIVILEGE series, and the wildly popular MEGAN MEADE'S GUIDE TO THE MCGOWAN BOYS. She also writes teen fiction under the name Kieran Scott.

Shadowlands (3 books)
  • Shadowlands (Shadowlands, #1)
  • Endless (Shadowlands, #3)