Start by marking “Baptism of Fire (The Witcher #3)” as Want to Read:
Baptism of Fire (The Witcher #3)

Baptism of Fire

(The Witcher #3)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  37,965 ratings  ·  1,320 reviews
The New York Times bestselling series that inspired the international hit video game: The Witcher

The Wizards Guild has been shattered by a coup and, in the uproar, Geralt was seriously injured. The Witcher is supposed to be a guardian of the innocent, a protector of those in need, a defender against powerful and dangerous monsters that prey on men in dark times.

But
Published June 24th 2014 by Orbit (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Baptism of Fire, please sign up.
Donald Hutchison at first i didn't like the introduction of the storyteller at the start of the last chapter, it suddenly felt lame to introduce the whole series as a…moreat first i didn't like the introduction of the storyteller at the start of the last chapter, it suddenly felt lame to introduce the whole series as a tale that's being told to children (and the events of the story being something thats already occured), but after thinking about it for a while it's totally the author talking about this exact thing - the abrupt ending of the book.

the kids (readers) complain that the story hasn't ended and they don't want to wait 6 months / a year for the storyteller to return to their village (wait for sapkowski to write a new book). so he's kind of playing with the audience and through the old storyteller is clearly pointing out that it's not an ending - just that if he tells the whole story now he's not going to sell any more books in the series and people will get bored by such a long book.

it's kind of cheeky of the author, but when you look at it that way it's quite fun and unusual(less)

·  37,965 ratings  ·  1,320 reviews

Start your review of Baptism of Fire (The Witcher #3)
Evgeny
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In the previous book Geralt's POV ended with him getting beaten the crap out of, in a really bad way. In the beginning of this book he did not recovered, but he really had no time for full recovery as he needed to finish what he was trying to do before he was stopped. He left the sanctuary he was staying in and went straight toward the war front - all the nearby kingdoms were entertaining themselves in all-out war. Geralt still had an illusion that he would be able to stay neutral. To make a ...more
Sr3yas
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Not only this is my favorite Witcher book, but this might just be my favorite fantasy book where hardly anything happens to further the plot.

Okay, I am not even sure that is a classifiable category, but I am going to roll with it.

[Mild spoilers ahead and major spoilers are made invisible by magic (view spoiler)]

A lion's share of this tale belongs to Witcher and his posse's journey to Nifflegard [Which they never reach] and the rest of the
James Lafayette Tivendale
My adventure with The Witcher novels continues at a breakneck pace as, like the previous books, I devoured this story in two days. This series has shown moments of utter brilliance but with certain plodding and info-dumping sections, it's never quite ascended to the heights that it truly could have. Until now. So far this is the finest entry and it features everything I love from this series.

Following the finale of Time of Contempt Geralt is badly injured and was transported to Brokilon forest
Joey Woolfardis
This review can be found on Amaranthine Reads.

We come to book three of the Witcher series, or book five if you're counting the first two collections of short stories. Whichever way you want to look at it, Baptism of Fire is the same dull book as it would be in any order.

The series continues with Geralt the Witcher searching the land for the Child Surprise, Ciri. The war rages on around them and it seems every faction is on the look out for Ciri, too. But Geralt is injured and the sorcerers are
Michelle
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witcherverse
As usual, Andrzej Sapkowski continues to immerse the reader in the vast world of “The Witcher” series. “Baptism of Fire” is grittier than the previous entries, but despite the grim darkness of the world it presents, it is nonetheless charming and funny -- and is, in another sense, a celebration of good companionship. There is a lot of time spent with Geralt and his newly acquired fellowship, which I think was a good decision. The new characters -- mainly Regis, Milva, Zoltan and Cahir -- are ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/08/23/a...

Over the last two months, I’ve been working my way through all the available Witcher Saga novels in audiobook format. The series is surprisingly addictive, so much so that it feels like I was just listening to the first book Blood of Elves yesterday. And now that I’ve come to the end of book three, I find myself a bit lost and drifting. After all, the print version of the next book (The Swallow’s Tower) hasn’t even been
Lucia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, fantasy
I really tried but it is time for me to quit this series.

Let's just hope that Netflix does better job with adaptation of this series because full-length novels are huge failure in my eyes. After great The Last Wish and good Sword of Destiny, I suffered through first three full-length books in this series and I seriously can't take any more. This series is getting worse and worse with every instalment and I'M DONE.

The Witcher books have the worst narration ever - I hated the constant POV switch.
Anirudh
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It is a sad experience when your favourite book lets you down. The Witcher, spawner of books and 3 hugely popular games fails to create the charm it held in the previous books of the series.

Plot The biggest let down of the book, the plot of Baptism of Fire is simply non existent. The story is about Geralt setting out to find Ciri but the story gets lost midway. In the whole book, nothing really happens. The witcher mopes, grunts and travels and yet reaches nowhere. There is no ending or a twist
Jennifer Melzer
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The symbolic Baptism of Fire is repeated throughout the story, as beliefs are challenged, paths reforged and it becomes certain that through the fire one must trek if he wishes to be born anew, like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

There were so many delightful parts of this story, clever and witty moments that made me laugh out loud, as well as emotionally gripping instances that touched my heart in ways that will surely linger long after the entire story is finished.

Now I move swiftly into
Celise
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Netflix is making a TV series adaptation of these books and I am HYPED. I highly, highly recommend reading the series, starting with The Last Wish, which is a short story anthology introducing the world and characters. Two of the books in this series have been some of my most enjoyed reads, and have made it onto my rather sparsely populated favourites list. This review doesn't really contain spoilers, but you probably won't want to read it if you haven't read the books.

Baptism of Fire is the
John McDermott
Another great addition to the series and probably my favourite so far. Some great new characters are introduced ; all of whom will be great on the TV series (which I'm loving by the way). Highly recommended.
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Best book in the series so far!

Also let's appreciate this gif

Image result for shrek and geralt gif
Fadi Antwan
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

I have to say, the main saga, at least when it comes to the last two books, is no joke. It requires a lot of attention, so consider yourselves warned. So many characters have been introduced over the last two books, it's hard to keep track of who's who sometimes. and rarely is important information given explicitly. I had make deductions and read some passages over and over again to make sure I really understood what happened. I'm fairly certain it's not the translation, just the author's
Melinda
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favourite book in the series up to now
I just LOVE and care about all the characters, they are so awesome!
At this point I like this series so much that I started to be sad about there are only two more books till the end...
If You wanna read a great series, I definitely definitely recommend Witcher!
And it was so funny, I laughed a lot
Caro the Helmet Lady
So this is the book where seemingly the action is less fast paced, especialy comparing to the one before, but we get many new characters and all of them are just awesome. Also we get to observe the atrocities of war and these descriptions made of short but very effective sentences are gut wrenching...
I haven't mentioned it before, but I absolutely love little intros starting every chapter of the Saga. This was very smart idea to write those, master Sapkowski.

Triss, how could you?..
Ana
Sir Geralt of Rivia. ‘Ha, ha,’ indeed!
Kaya
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Since when did you know anything about mimicking bird calls, Zoltan?’ ‘That’s the whole point. If you hear a strange, unrecognizable sound, you’ll know it’s me.”

This book is the strongest one when you consider the character development so far, but the weakest one if you have in mind the plot and action. All our main characters are departed and looking for each other while simultaneously hiding from the common enemy. After a while, it becomes repetitive they have no idea what to do with their
Franzi
4.5 Stars

So this was more like a fantasy roadtrip and I actually liked this a lot, I'd even say this is my favorite entry of the series so far. We sadly don't get to see that much of Ciri, but I think the newer characters make up for it.
Anthony K
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Man, I am eating these things up like muthafuckin candy. I love all the characters... well except Yen lol... I am a long time witcher fan from the games, and Yen has always rubbed me the wrong way... although I guess she rubs Geralt the right way :P

Im already pretty deep into the next book, I just havent taken the time to get on GR the last week.

Highly recommend these.
Amanda
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
Baptism of Fire by Andrzej Sapkowski is the third book in the Witcher Series (or the 5th, if you count the intro and tales.) This book picks up with the aftermath of the fall of the Wizards Guild. Geralt is injured pretty severely and Ciri is still missing. However, kings are plotting. They say they have Ciri. However, she is still among the Rats and her power grows. Geralt will stop at nothing to find Ciri, even if that means tracking through Nilfgaard. War is all around and trust is rare. ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Ah, Geralt of Rivia. I can’t quite put my finger on why I enjoy this series, or rather the world they are set in so much. It is a very classic fantasy where the exploring of new places (read: questing) is a big part. But it is also a very modern fantasy with gritty undertones and imperfect protagonists. Or more accurately, the dry British humor in which the story is told - never making a joke of the world, but let the
Thomas Stacey
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True rating = 4.5 stars.

I had the hardest time deciding whether to give 4 or 5 stars - I settled on 4 because there wasn't nearly enough of Ciri.

This is still a great book: plenty of action and intrigue as war rages across the land, with Geralt and company heading straight into the heart of it in search of Ciri. This is a dark tale that pulls no punches when depicting the chaos of war.

Some compelling new characters are introduced, and a couple of minor players are given their time of day.
Kenchiin
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Narrative is a little bit weird in this one. Sometimes I felt I was reading a lighthearted comedy about friends traveling from one place to the other. Suddenly, I was in the middle of a bloody and political war.
The ups and downs kind of turned me off at some point, and I know this is supposed to be a Medieval setting but the use of the femme cast sometimes worried me. It looks like in the Witcher world you can only be an "angry feminazi" or a "useless woman". No shades of grey.

Anyways, still a
Jessica {Litnoob}
This has been my favorite in the series, I’m sitting here laughing as I type this because of that last couple pages. Where book four really left everything feeling hopeless and impossible (and I was super fucking angry) BoF turned that all around. There’s hope, and there’s the skeleton of a plan, and now our hero has allies he trusts and a clear goal though it’s ever changing how he will accomplish said goal. Our little made family is the absolute best and while I’m still stewing in anger over ...more
Vi♦Kinga
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“In this rotten world, Zoltan Chivay, goodness, honesty and integrity become deeply engraved in the memory.”

So, so bittersweet.

I’m more and more in love with these novels, even though I already rated all previous books 5 stars… These stories are so clever, witty, full of surprises and tough decisions to make. I love how the author plays with our expectations and introduces characters who go straight against the current, so to say.

Geralt is still the perfect protagonist for these books, his
Wayne
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars again for this next one in this series

Every time I think the next one won't life up to the last book and my high expectations based on how much I love the games and every time I am wrong (and I couldn't be happier)
Another great addition.

The world building is sensational and again is exactly how I pictured it (and remember it from the games). It's just spot on in it's descriptions and how it makes you a part of the story and the world.

The characters are fantastic as usual and I won't
Sebastien
That was... rather bad actually.

It was meandering and pointless, none of the characters really managed to do, well, anything. Geralt walked around a bit along the river but is still pretty damn far from getting where he wants to go. Ciri is still pretty much at the same place (both geographically and mentally) as she was last novel and the sorceress spent the whole novel building a misandrist cult that still hasn't really done anything.

Geralt was actually extremely obnoxious in this novel. He
Mizuki
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it is a good transition book and the new characters are interesting, the plots about the wizards' coup and the other political schemes are getting clearer as well, can't wait to see how the main characters' journey will turn out!
Fantasy Literature
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Baptism of Fire is the fifth book in Andrzej Sapkowski’s WITCHER series. It starts up immediately after the events in The Time of Contempt, which you must read before picking up Baptism of Fire. This review will contain spoilers for previous books.

Previously, in The Time of Contempt, Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri got caught up in a coup on the island of Thanedd. The Chapter of Mages was destroyed as the sorcerers and sorceresses were either killed or otherwise dispersed. Geralt was defeated and ...
Kat  Hooper
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Will review soon at www.fantasyliterature.com.

• Wiedźmin. Ostatnie życzenie (Wiedźmin #5)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 1: House of Glass
  • The World of the Witcher
  • The Witcher, Vol. 2: Fox Children
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 3: Curse of Crows
  • Metro 2033 (Metro, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Witcher Library Edition Volume 1
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 4: Of Flesh and Flame
  • Metro 2034 (Metro, #2)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • Władaj i gadaj, Tom 1
  • Fallen Angels (2019-) #1
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

The Witcher (5 books)
  • Blood of Elves (Witcher, #1)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
“Were I to attempt to be good to everyone, to the entire world and to all the creatures living in it, it would be a drop of fresh water in the salt sea. In other words, a wasted effort. Thus, I decided to do specific good; good which would not go to waste. I’m good to myself and my immediate circle.” 71 likes
“- Kompania mi się trafiła - podjął Geralt, kręcąc głową. - Towarzysze broni! Drużyna bohaterów! Nic, tylko ręce załamać. Wierszokleta z lutnią. Dzikie i pyskate pół driady, pół baby. Wampir, któremu idzie na pięćdziesiąty krzyżyk. I cholerny Nilfgaardczyk, który upiera się, że nie jest Nilfgaardczykiem.
- A na czele drużyny wiedźmin, chory na wyrzuty sumienia, bezsiłę i niemożność podjęcia decyzji - dokończył spokojnie Regis. - Zaiste, proponuję podróżować incognito, by nie wzbudzać sensacji.
- I śmiechu - dodała Milva.”
32 likes