Start by marking “Baptism of Fire (The Witcher #5)” as Want to Read:
Baptism of Fire (The Witcher #5)

Baptism of Fire

(Saga o Wiedźminie #5)

The New York Times bestselling series that inspired the international hit video game: The Witcher

The Wizards Guild has been shattered by a coup and, in the uproar, Geralt was seriously injured. The Witcher is supposed to be a guardian of the innocent, a protector of those in need, a defender against powerful and dangerous monsters that prey on men in dark times.

But no
Published June 24th 2014 by Orbit (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Baptism of Fire, please sign up.
Donald Hutchison at first i didn't like the introduction of the storyteller at the start of the last chapter, it suddenly felt lame to introduce the whole series as a…moreat first i didn't like the introduction of the storyteller at the start of the last chapter, it suddenly felt lame to introduce the whole series as a tale that's being told to children (and the events of the story being something thats already occured), but after thinking about it for a while it's totally the author talking about this exact thing - the abrupt ending of the book.

the kids (readers) complain that the story hasn't ended and they don't want to wait 6 months / a year for the storyteller to return to their village (wait for sapkowski to write a new book). so he's kind of playing with the audience and through the old storyteller is clearly pointing out that it's not an ending - just that if he tells the whole story now he's not going to sell any more books in the series and people will get bored by such a long book.

it's kind of cheeky of the author, but when you look at it that way it's quite fun and unusual(less)

Evgeny
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In the previous book Geralt's POV ended with him getting beaten the crap out of, in a really bad way. In the beginning of this book he did not recovered, but he really had no time for full recovery as he needed to finish what he was trying to do before he was stopped. He left the sanctuary he was staying in and went straight toward the war front - all the nearby kingdoms were entertaining themselves in all-out war. Geralt still had an illusion that he would be able to stay neutral. To make a lon ...more
Sr3yas
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Not only this is my favorite Witcher book, but this might just be my favorite fantasy book where hardly anything happens to further the plot.

Okay, I am not even sure that is a classifiable category, but I am going to roll with it.

[Mild spoilers ahead and major spoilers are made invisible by magic (view spoiler)]

A lion's share of this tale belongs to Witcher and his posse's journey to Nifflegard [Which they never reach] and the rest of the
James Lafayette Tivendale
My adventure with The Witcher novels continues at a breakneck pace as, like the previous books, I devoured this story in two days. This series has shown moments of utter brilliance but with certain plodding and info-dumping sections, it's never quite ascended to the heights that it truly could have. Until now. So far this is the finest entry and it features everything I love from this series.

Following the finale of Time of Contempt Geralt is badly injured and was transported to Brokilon forest
Joey Woolfardis
This review can be found on Amaranthine Reads.

We come to book three of the Witcher series, or book five if you're counting the first two collections of short stories. Whichever way you want to look at it, Baptism of Fire is the same dull book as it would be in any order.

The series continues with Geralt the Witcher searching the land for the Child Surprise, Ciri. The war rages on around them and it seems every faction is on the look out for Ciri, too. But Geralt is injured and the sorcerers are i
Michelle
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witcherverse
As usual, Andrzej Sapkowski continues to immerse the reader in the vast world of “The Witcher” series. “Baptism of Fire” is grittier than the previous entries, but despite the grim darkness of the world it presents, it is nonetheless charming and funny -- and is, in another sense, a celebration of good companionship. There is a lot of time spent with Geralt and his newly acquired fellowship, which I think was a good decision. The new characters -- mainly Regis, Milva, Zoltan and Cahir -- are won ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/08/23/a...

Over the last two months, I’ve been working my way through all the available Witcher Saga novels in audiobook format. The series is surprisingly addictive, so much so that it feels like I was just listening to the first book Blood of Elves yesterday. And now that I’ve come to the end of book three, I find myself a bit lost and drifting. After all, the print version of the next book (The Swallow’s Tower) hasn’t even been
Jennifer Melzer
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The symbolic Baptism of Fire is repeated throughout the story, as beliefs are challenged, paths reforged and it becomes certain that through the fire one must trek if he wishes to be born anew, like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

There were so many delightful parts of this story, clever and witty moments that made me laugh out loud, as well as emotionally gripping instances that touched my heart in ways that will surely linger long after the entire story is finished.

Now I move swiftly into Th
Marta Conejo
Terminar un libro de Geralt de Rivia para coger otro libro de Geralt de Rivia. Esa es mi actual vida.

Andamos con nuestro querido brujo y su querido juglar, con una Ciri cuya vida ha cambiado totalmente, con un consejo secreto de hechiceras... los caminos están llenos de cuerpos, sangre, guerra, cosas feas, y, si fuera George Martin, supongo que también dragones.

Pero es Andrzej Sapkowski.

Es verdad que esta saga se ha ido focalizando mucho más a la parte de la historia Ciri-Geralt, pero eso no
Celise
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Netflix is making a TV series adaptation of these books and I am HYPED. I highly, highly recommend reading the series, starting with The Last Wish, which is a short story anthology introducing the world and characters. Two of the books in this series have been some of my most enjoyed reads, and have made it onto my rather sparsely populated favourites list. This review doesn't really contain spoilers, but you probably won't want to read it if you haven't read the books.

Baptism of Fire is the fif
Paolina Daniele
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anirudh
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It is a sad experience when your favourite book lets you down. The Witcher, spawner of books and 3 hugely popular games fails to create the charm it held in the previous books of the series.

Plot The biggest let down of the book, the plot of Baptism of Fire is simply non existent. The story is about Geralt setting out to find Ciri but the story gets lost midway. In the whole book, nothing really happens. The witcher mopes, grunts and travels and yet reaches nowhere. There is no ending or a twist
Kaya
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Since when did you know anything about mimicking bird calls, Zoltan?’ ‘That’s the whole point. If you hear a strange, unrecognizable sound, you’ll know it’s me.”

This book is the strongest one when you consider the character development so far, but the weakest one if you have in mind the plot and action. All our main characters are departed and looking for each other while simultaneously hiding from the common enemy. After a while, it becomes repetitive they have no idea what to do with their
Anthony K
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Man, I am eating these things up like muthafuckin candy. I love all the characters... well except Yen lol... I am a long time witcher fan from the games, and Yen has always rubbed me the wrong way... although I guess she rubs Geralt the right way :P

Im already pretty deep into the next book, I just havent taken the time to get on GR the last week.

Highly recommend these.
Thomas
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Βαθμολογία: ★★★★★

Στο τρίτο βιβλίο της πενταλογίας, ένα συγκεκριμένο πρόσωπο συνεχίζει να αγνοείται, ο Geralt ξεκινά ένα μακρύ ταξίδι για να την αναζητήσει ενώ γύρω του σχηματίζεται η πιο παράδοξη συντροφιά. Μαζί θα διασχίσουν πεδία μάχης, θα συναντήσουν φίλους και εχθρούς, θα γίνουν μάρτυρες ενός κόσμου που καίγεται, ενός πολέμου που σαρώνει τα πάντα. Παράλληλα, μία εξίσου παράδοξη συντροφιά θα συναθροιστεί, που επίσης αναζητεί το ίδιο πρόσωπο, αλλά με άλλες βλέψεις. Ο Sapkowski αποδεικνύεται γι
Thomas Stacey
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True rating = 4.5 stars.

I had the hardest time deciding whether to give 4 or 5 stars - I settled on 4 because there wasn't nearly enough of Ciri.

This is still a great book: plenty of action and intrigue as war rages across the land, with Geralt and company heading straight into the heart of it in search of Ciri. This is a dark tale that pulls no punches when depicting the chaos of war.

Some compelling new characters are introduced, and a couple of minor players are given their time of day. Rare
Angel
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le cuesta un poco arrancar, pero luego la cosa mejora. Lleno de crítica, humor y grandes diálogos. Me ha encantado el grupo que se ha ido uniendo a Geralt, genial me lo he pasado viendo como se discurrian los hechos en su compañía.
Online Eccentric Librarian
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Ah, Geralt of Rivia. I can’t quite put my finger on why I enjoy this series, or rather the world they are set in so much. It is a very classic fantasy where the exploring of new places (read: questing) is a big part. But it is also a very modern fantasy with gritty undertones and imperfect protagonists. Or more accurately, the dry British humor in which the story is told - never making a joke of the world, but let the re
Jeraviz
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Curiosamente tiene una estructura justo al contrario del cuarto libro. En la anterior novela me quejaba de que terminaba con el típico viaje a caballo donde no pasa gran cosa. Pues aquí continúa ese estilo durante casi ¡150 páginas!.
Pero cuando ya estaba maquinando la reseña que iba a escribir aquí, de repente Sapkowski se debió de dar cuenta de algo y el último tercio vuelve a lo mejor del anterior libro: diálogos inteligentes, acción, humor...Y termina dejándome con ganas de seguir con el sigu
Wayne
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars again for this next one in this series

Every time I think the next one won't life up to the last book and my high expectations based on how much I love the games and every time I am wrong (and I couldn't be happier)
Another great addition.

The world building is sensational and again is exactly how I pictured it (and remember it from the games). It's just spot on in it's descriptions and how it makes you a part of the story and the world.

The characters are fantastic as usual and I won't spoi
María
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bueno, terminado el jueves aunque haga el comentario hoy... Me ha gustado mucho, MUCHÍSIMO. En comparación mirando este y "La sangre de los elfos", en relación a los dos primeros de la serie, es cierto que los dos primeros tienen un encanto especial, quizá por el formato o por la manera de presentar a los personajes... No lo sé, pero deja esa sensación como de lectura especial.

De cualquier modo, la saga del brujo es todo menos corriente. Me parece que tiene una narrativa adaptada al contexto muy
Kenchiin
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Narrative is a little bit weird in this one. Sometimes I felt I was reading a lighthearted comedy about friends traveling from one place to the other. Suddenly, I was in the middle of a bloody and political war.
The ups and downs kind of turned me off at some point, and I know this is supposed to be a Medieval setting but the use of the femme cast sometimes worried me. It looks like in the Witcher world you can only be an "angry feminazi" or a "useless woman". No shades of grey.

Anyways, still a
Mizuki
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it is a good transition book and the new characters are interesting, the plots about the wizards' coup and the other political schemes are getting clearer as well, can't wait to see how the main characters' journey will turn out!
M. Ihsan Tatari
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Baptism Of Fire, tam da Time Of Contempt’in bittiği yerden, hatta biraz öncesinden başlıyor. Bir kez daha karizmatik Witcherımız Geralt’la birlikteyiz ve bu sefer bizi kitabın sonuna kadar yalnız bırakmıyor. Bir önceki kitabın bana göre en büyük sorunu son 100 küsur sayfada kendisini hiç göremememizdi, o yüzden bu iyi bir şey. En azından benim açımdan…

Kitapta Geralt’ın A noktasından B noktasına (spoiler vermemek adına böyle yazdım, mazur görün) giderken yaşadıkları anlatılıyor. Yolculuğu sırasın
Delia
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**** 4.5/5 ****

I am seriously so obsessed with this series. RTC
Kat  Hooper
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Will review soon at www.fantasyliterature.com.
Salvatore
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75
Piotr Petelski
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Zazwyczaj środkowe tomy większości serii fantasy są ich najsłabszym ogniwem - oczywiście są niesamowite wyjątki, jednak - są to wyjątki. W środkowe tomy są zazwyczaj zapchajdziurami, rozwlekającymi niepotrzebne wątki (Koło Cczasu, ekhm) i eksploatującymi bohaterów do znienawidzenia ich przez czytelnika... u Sapkowskiego nic takiego nie ma. Książka jest świetnie skonstruowana pod względem stylistycznym i fabularnym. Mimo iż akcja skupia się w jakichś 80% na wiedźminie i jego drużynie (sic!) to co ...more
Fantasy Literature
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Baptism of Fire is the fifth book in Andrzej Sapkowski’s WITCHER series. It starts up immediately after the events in The Time of Contempt, which you must read before picking up Baptism of Fire. This review will contain spoilers for previous books.

Previously, in The Time of Contempt, Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri got caught up in a coup on the island of Thanedd. The Chapter of Mages was destroyed as the sorcerers and sorceresses were either killed or otherwise dispersed. Geralt was defeated and ...
SMLauri
¡Qué final! De lo mejor hasta ahora.

Todo lo relacionado con el vampiro me ha parecido muy interesante.
Me habría gustado que saliesen más Triss y Ciri, pero agradezco no haber tenido que aguantar a Yennefer.

"Geralt de Rivia". Me ha encantado.
Dustin
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book. Picks up almost immediately where the last book ended. Geralt still on his quest to find and save Ciri. My only disappointment was that it ended sort of abruptly.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Baptism of Fire [Oct 10, 2018] 37 37 Oct 24, 2018 11:42AM
english version? 2 27 Feb 26, 2015 08:58PM
  • Sługa Boży (Mordimer Madderdin #8)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 3 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #3)
  • Opowieści z meekhańskiego pogranicza. Północ - Południe
  • Siewca Wiatru (Zastępy Anielskie, #2)
  • Tkacz iluzji (Kroniki Drugiego Kręgu, #0.5)
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Achaja. Tom I (Achaja, #1)
  • Kuzynki (Kuzynki, #1)
  • Paradyzja
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

Saga o Wiedźminie (8 books)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1)
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #3)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)
  • Untitled
“Were I to attempt to be good to everyone, to the entire world and to all the creatures living in it, it would be a drop of fresh water in the salt sea. In other words, a wasted effort. Thus, I decided to do specific good; good which would not go to waste. I’m good to myself and my immediate circle.” 53 likes
“- Kompania mi się trafiła - podjął Geralt, kręcąc głową. - Towarzysze broni! Drużyna bohaterów! Nic, tylko ręce załamać. Wierszokleta z lutnią. Dzikie i pyskate pół driady, pół baby. Wampir, któremu idzie na pięćdziesiąty krzyżyk. I cholerny Nilfgaardczyk, który upiera się, że nie jest Nilfgaardczykiem.
- A na czele drużyny wiedźmin, chory na wyrzuty sumienia, bezsiłę i niemożność podjęcia decyzji - dokończył spokojnie Regis. - Zaiste, proponuję podróżować incognito, by nie wzbudzać sensacji.
- I śmiechu - dodała Milva.”
29 likes