Start by marking “How the World Sees You: Discover Your Highest Value Through the Science of Fascination” as Want to Read:

You already know how you see the world.
But do you know how the world sees you?
How is your personality most likely to impress and influence the person sitting on the other side of the desk or boardroom?

Once you know what makes you valuable to others, you're more authentic and confident, and more able to make a positive impression. It all begins with understanding how the wo
Audiobook
Published July 1st 2014 by HarperAudio (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How the World Sees You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the World Sees You

Katherine
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
The first few pages got me excited and got my attention. But as I kept reading, she never really tells you the How's. Yeah, if you want her to help you with your Anaheim, you can pay $150 on her website. I did the analysis on the website, and my primary archetype came out totally opposite of my character. I don't think there's enough questions in the survey to determine the archetypes.
Emily
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Clearly a lot of work went into this book so
I can't give it one star. For all its touting of the value of difference, though, the ideas are very rigid. It also comes across as a long sales pitch for her company's ..."readings"? Which, even though I did take one (with a free code from a podcast I listen to), reading the book didn't really add value to that fact. I like the ideas and was interested enough to buy the book, but it just doesn't convey enough flexibility or nuance for my tastes.
Eslam Abd Elghany
long, exhausted translation. Mostly interesting and a little boring every now and then.
Claire
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I would suggest looking at the chart on the endpapers of the book first to see if any of the archetypes resonate with you. Then check out appendix C for brief descriptions of the archetypes and the page where you can read more about if if you want. There's also a glossary and some other pages at the back which might be helpful to see if you want to read more.

I was already familiar with the "fascination advantages" so it was a good opportunity to practice speed reading and often flat out skimming
Martin Lutonsky
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
My feeling about it? It is like a manual. There is a description of every archetype you can be based on online assessment author has created. I really like the concept of this idea. I was a little bit confused at the beginning and not so convinced. It is pity that how the typology was created is said on the end of the book. The mix of typology and marketing make sense.
I do not recommend reading this book as one whole text. Pick the part that is about you and your twin and read it. It could be i
Alexandra
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Let me save you time: skip part 1 to take your online assessment. read you and your twin's portion of part 2, then go to anthem.howtofascinate.com and skip part 3. Boom, whole book achieved in 1/8th the time. You're welcome.

Also I did really like it but it's also super similar to MBTI. But the anthem is powerful - and trying to guess your friends and colleagues is fun and surprisingly difficult.
Dr. Kat
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

While I was drawn to the premise of the book for finding a way to market my uniqueness into a personal brand, I’m still struggling somewhat to come up with an anthem. However a silver lining was that I found the personality descriptions a helpful lens in understanding the relationship dynamics between my boyfriend and I, the root behind some of our disagreements.
Luke Johnson
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stopped-reading
Sounds like a good book by the title right? Super interesting bit about "facination", but then falls apart into repeating concept with no real meaningful insights. Devolves into silly personality nonsense that doesn't really mean anything.

I thought a book called "How the World Sees You" would help me understand how the world sees me, alas this book truly has nothing to do with its title. Psychobabble nonsense, business name dropping, and empty "this book will" statements which sells seminars and
Sumit Singla
Any kind of personality test gets me all excited and happy at the prospect of understanding myself a little better. So, it was with great expectations that I purchased this book, which had promised a 'different' take on personality.

However, Sally Hogshead doesn't do a great job of decoding the archetypes that she says exist. In fact, even the test seemed half-baked and not very robust. Also, her book doesn't go into the details of the 'how' aspects. It just seems like a long advertisement for th
Steele Dimmock
Jul 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
I suffered through, and heavily skipped, through this. The best thing I left with was the notion that the true value you bring is not solely because you are the best or the most experienced but because of your unique combination of personality and ability.

Two little nuggets, found close to the start were:
* Based on a Harvard business review article, 39% of people buy based on the salesman
* When hiring an employee you are hiring an outcome

1 star: This heavily references personality tests which I
Tony Boyles
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I wish I could claim to honestly have read it, but the first few pages were so full of red flags that I'm unwilling to risk any more time on it. It's only marked "Read" because GoodReads doesn't let me add a book to my "Intentionally Abandoned" bookshelf without marking read automatically.
阿睿
Another reviewer described this as something akin to "astrology for business," and for a book, that may as well be a string of soundbites, rather than the in-depth psychological analysis of "how you are perceived by other people" it markets itself to be, a soundbite may be all it deserves in terms of a review. Nonetheless, for those, who might be willing to be humored by my musings, I've gathered some insights and thoughts on the book in the paragraphs below.

The Structure of the Work

The book es
Blaga Emanuel Teodor
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author here proposes a model of fascination through each individual character rather than choosing stereotype models being promoted in our surrounding environment. There is one phrase I like in this book " You cannot be everything for everybody" which is a common mistake I was guilty off leading me to live a life of frustration. Try to be good at something and there will always be someone else who will be better at it at some point which makes it absolutely senseless to try to promote yourse ...more
Nick
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
In a similar vein with Myer Briggs, or with Strengthfinders, Hogshead sets out an online survey and report that helps to identify communication strengths — and equally important, how others see you, at your best. She prods the user to ask some interesting, hard questions, like how to describe yourself not merely as what you happen to do ("I'm a software developer") but rather as what unique value you bring to a project ("I'm an incisive planner; I bring genuine, reliable insights to every projec ...more
Farhana Faruq
There is more I didn't like than liked in this book. The concept is good, ironically nothing fascinating. You NEED TO KNOW your personality type before reading the book. You get a very basic one on Hogshead's site, but ultimately you have to pay to get more out of it - and well, the book is basically marketing her site.

Chapter one - covers why you need to know your type - it's very, very repetitive and in some areas it's explained to you as if you were 7 years old.

Chapter two - if you know your
Julie Franks-Murray
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This assessment is based on branding, not on psychology. It measures not how you see the world, but how the world sees you. And it was very surprising to discover my own results! It's not what I would've predicted, but I better understand why people respond to me the way they do after taking this test. When I'm in my "genius" zone, people do seem fascinated by me.

The author has tons of clinical data and has worked with thousands of individuals and well-known companies all over the globe. She ass
Peter Dancsok
Oct 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
I listened to this book as an audio-book. If the book is the same I am truly sorry for those who suffered through it. I do not believe this should be book and then at the end they brag it took 3 years to complete. If this took 3 years then someone was slacking a LOT.

The whole audio-book is around 12h which could be cut to 3 hours even less. I would divide the book into 2 parts. The first one is like a bad add for the whole methodology and you could play buzzword bingo. Where the same idea is sai
Caitlin Gunning
Aug 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I actually didn’t finish this. At first it gave good context for the main ideas but I just couldn’t make it through her descriptions of each “personality type” it was like an extended version of those quizzes online that you realize you waste 10 mins taking.

Sure, people fit these certain categories and that should help you understand their actions and make working with them more predictable but if her message is that we should embrace who we are to be most “fascinating” than it’s not like you c
Heather Larcombe
May 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
A book by a salesperson for salespeople. Author is under the impression that everyone needs to be constantly marketing themselves and that everyone you interact with is your customer in some way. Probably that's actually how her life is, and she seems to love it. It is nightmare food for me. Which, really, matches the difference between our "fascination advantages," so it makes sense that I wouldn't be charmed.
Alexandra
A half-baked attempt at a personality system. The vague traits had significant overlap. I kept a running list, while reading short and seemingly rushed blurbs for each Archetype, and identified myself as possibly belonging to 15 of the 42 healthy categories (35.7%)--higher than 16Personalities' MBTI-based theory, where I can tentatively identify to a degree with 4 of 16 (25%) categories. While the author's writing is easy to read, somewhat engaging, and humorous at times, her system is less so.
April
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but really need people to discuss it with to truly get more out of the book. You take a self analysis as part of reading the book, and it's hard to know if my assessment was wrong or if that truly is how people see me. Because I couldn't confidently believe my test results, it's hard to decide how I feel about the book. If any of my friends want to read this and discuss, I'd love that.
Karen Briscoe
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How the World Sees you is chock full of information and insight that will help you to achieve a higher level of success in business and life! Sally Hogshead is an expert on how you can discover your highest value through the science of fascination. Karen Briscoe, author and podcast host 5 Minute Success
Sara
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
The book provides an interesting approach to assess one’s “personal brand”. While it was interesting at times, I couldn’t get over the notion of this being a variation or another way of presenting the time tested approaches such as Myers Briggs. I give the author credit for building a successful business based on this approach.
Crystal Johnson
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Worth it for the test - I didn't read the whole book since it goes into detail for each archetype. My corporate company loved this when I introduced it and our whole department/team did it. Mine is Prestige dominate and innovator second.
Vilasi
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a reclamation. It changed everything. From the Advantages to the Anthems.

It lived up to it's name. At the end of exercises, I had everything I needed for a brand that fascinates. Original, mine, reassuring and not contrived.
Sarah Moeschter
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a great read! Understanding how the world see’s you is important in managing a group of people. The world may see you in a different light than you see yourself. This book does a good job at looking how to interpret how you are viewed by your peers.
Arielle Johnson
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book before going to a seminar. I thought it was very good. I was able to relate to a lot of the descriptions about myself in this book. I hear there is another book out or coming out that goes into detail a little more about the how and why’s and what not. But I can’t wait to read it
Whitney Buckley
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible. It is similar to Strenth Finders in the aspect that it uses a quiz to find out your Strengths or as Sally Hogshead puts it, how you fascinate people. However, that is where the similarities end. Sally goes into detail on every aspect of the seven advantages she lists and then she digs in even deeper and find your second advantage to see how you can really draw people in and make a difference. I also felt after taking the quiz that she has been able to create a logarithm ...more
Stacey
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I work in a field that is highly saturated in my local market. Reading this book taught me simple ways of standing out, which are authentic to me. Well researched book with gems for solo entrepreneurs and teams alike.
Philip Lai
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How accurate and useful!!!

I tried with many of my friends and colleagues and the results truly reflect their styles ... so we all could learn to optimize our strengths and work on our improvement areas!
How grateful!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Platinum Rule: Discover the Four Basic Business Personalities andHow They Can Lead You to Success
  • Why is She Acting So Weird?: A Guide to Cultivating Closeness When A Friend is in Crisis
  • Grow Your Value: Living and Working to Your Full Potential
  • Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More
  • The FibroManual: A Complete Treatment Guide to Fibromyalgia for You . . . and Your Doctor
  • Event Planning: The Ultimate Guide to Successful Meetings, Corporate Events, Fundraising Galas, Conferences, Conventions, Incentives and Other Special Events
  • The Da Vinci Curse: Life Design for People with Too Many Interests and Talents
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations that Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Living Well with Autoimmune Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know
  • The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense
  • Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research
  • Air & Light & Time & Space: How Successful Academics Write
  • Edit Yourself: A Manual for Everyone Who Works with Words
  • The Diet Cure
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe
  • China Goes Global: The Partial Power
  • Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You
  • Dr. A's Habits of Health: The path to permanent Weight Control and Optimal Health
“When you stop trying to be all things to all people, you can stop worrying about being liked and start building relationships that allow you to be loved. If you are not creating a negative response from somebody, you’re probably not very fascinating to anybody.” 6 likes
“But over time, people can lose their innate ability to fascinate. They acquire layers of boring.” 2 likes