Start by marking “London (Surviving The Evacuation #1)” as Want to Read:
London (Surviving The Evacuation #1)

London

(Surviving The Evacuation #1)

The outbreak started in New York. Within days the infection had spread to every corner of the world. Nowhere is safe from the undead...

Bill watched from his window as London was evacuated. His leg broken, he is unable to join the exodus. Turning to his friends in the government, he waits and hopes for rescue. As the days turn into weeks, realising inaction will lead only t
Published September 26th 2013

Start your review of London (Surviving The Evacuation #1)
carol.
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the apocalypse
The only thing Tayell can't do is catchy titles. Oh, and cover design. Besides that, this is easily one of the better apocalypse I've read in years (mentally reviews prior reads...). Yep, that's true. It's too bad the cover design is so pulpy, because this is pretty much the opposite type of story: the diary of an intelligent but perhaps unimaginative person as civilization begins to implode.

Bartholomew--Bill, to his friends--is at home recovering from a broken leg as he watches the London evacu
Håkon
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I am currently listening to this and Paradise Lost. I got this for free, and who does not like free stuff right? If i were to tell you which one is easier to listen to it would easily be Paradise Lost. Rarely have I ever listened to such boring ramblings, most of whom enter into platitudes and banal events that are seemingly told for no reason at all except in order to reach a page-count so that the novel can be published. It is not that I don't enjoy novels with this kind of style. I very much ...more
K.J. Chapman
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is featured on my blog: Writerly Bookish Stuff

I rate this book 3.5/5.

Bill is an advisor to his MP friend, Jennifer. A broken leg has him confined to his apartment during a zombie infection outbreak. Jen promised to get him to safety, but the car that was sent was attacked and the driver was killed. Bill's story is built upon the journals of his confinement from just before the London evacuation to about 3 months after.

The first part of the book is pretty much Bill moaning, moping, an
F.R.
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
There’s a lot to be really impressed by here. I say that as a man who doesn’t generally read zombie novels, who thinks that we’re over-saturated by the undead and that most of the depictions aren’t that interesting. But, if you spin that on its head, then I suppose the fact there is so much zombie media out there means some of it is going to be good. It's the law of averages.

The first half of this novel is fantastic. If you too are tired of zombies, I’d still recommend the first half. It’s basic
Bill Lynas
Back in the 1980s (when I was much younger!) my friends & I used to enjoy watching zombie films on video. In the last few years there seem to be zombies everywhere, whether in films. TV programmes, comics or books. It became overkill, so that I even found well made series like The Walking Dead to be dull.
So, after a considerable break I thought it was time to revisit a genre I used to like with the first book in Frank Tayell's Surviving The Evacuation series.
The story certainly starts well, with
Midu Hadi
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Eh this one was OK.

My Thoughts: Have you ever read a book that when you finished you just felt like, "Huh, that's it?" That was my reaction after finishing London (Surviving the Evacuation). The main protagonist Bill is an incredibly dull fellow who spends the first half of the story giving us commentary about his even duller existence. Listen, I like a good build up but when over half the story follows just a single character sitting in his flat complaining about everything from lack of hot te
Adam Smith
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very detailed exposition of the end of the world from the journal of a witness. Set in London, the zombie apocalypse erupts - unfortunately for Bill, or perhaps fortunately, he has a broken leg and has to watch from the safety of his top floor apartment as everything around falls apart.

We are fortunate that Bill is a political adviser, and as the story unfolds, so does more and more backstory, showing how Bill perhaps knows more than he lets on at the beginning. Befriending a hack that sends h
Heather Duff
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I bought this on a whim as Amazon kept recommending it to me and I am so glad I did, The tale of Bartholomew "Bill" Wright is a gripping read and as he is pretty much the only character in the book we get to know him very well.

Bill is/was a government adviser to his old friend Jen who has been appointed Minister for the Interior, during a visit to Whitehall, Bill is knocked over a banister on to a marble floor which results in him waking up several days later with a broken leg.

As he comes to, Je
Babbs
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was doubtful of this one within the first few pages, particularly because we get the entire narrative through a single perspective, in a journal format. This worry was unfounded and it didn't take long before I was completely invested in the decisions of our main character, Bill. Bill missed the start of what would be the downfall of civilization due to an injury that left him with one leg in a cast. He has close ties with high up government officials, through his childhood friend Jen, and mis ...more
Ellie
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is everything you need in a zombie novel. I've read a fair few of the zombie diary style books, this one is by far my favourite. It's really well written, and it's relatable, Bill acts exactly like the average person would (or hopes they would.) With just enough contact with Zombies to keep you on your toes, and plenty of new survival ideas, it really does keep the readers interest.
What makes this different is Bill used to work closely with the government, and ends up with a broken leg
Tracy
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun to read. I’ve always loved reading diary type novels (looking at you, Bridget Jones). I liked Bill’s voice, the way he tried to think things out when he realized help was never coming. He is thoughtful and rational. I thought the ending was terrific...just gut wrenching really.
chucklesthescot
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Bill is a political advisor for rising star MP Jennifer so she promises to evacuate him to a safe place is the zombie apocalypse in the US enters the UK. Bill is at home with a broken leg when Britain becomes infected and the first car that comes for him is attacked, leaving the driver as zombie nosh, and Bill stuck.

Bill is a very annoying man. He is sitting safe indoors with food that Jennifer brought early in the outbreak, and he is just moaning like a child. He has no real milk as Jennifer fa
Christy
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. It starts off a little slowly, with the rather mundane tasks of having to survive the zombie apocalypse with a broken leg (as if it wasn't hard enough already!) but there's already the hint of intrigue as we discover the main character was involved in politics, and has a lot of behind the scenes information. Unfortunately he's been left behind to fend for himself, and we follow his journey through his personal journal as he tries to make his way out of an over-run Lond ...more
Olivia
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.

A deadly virus, turning the infected into zombies.

One man’s diary and attempt to get out of London.

A post-apocalyptic read that delivers what it promises. Fast-paced and smooth, this is a quick read with a fairly interesting character.

Overall, this feels more like an opening chapter, but considering how many sequels there are, that’s probably exactly what it is.

I will read on, mostly because of the U.K. setting.

Shana Festa
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
There's a certain something about this book that had me intrigued from the moment it showed up in my submission list. I can't tell you if it was the cover or the title because, frankly, I think they're both captivating. So, maybe I'll just say it was the combination of both. So intriguing, in fact, that I had a hard time ripping it out of another team members cyber hands!

Surviving the Evacuation begins with Bill, aid to Jennifer, his childhood friend and now politician, having broken his leg and
Mona
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5

Better than your run of the mill zombie book.

The excellent audio narration helped.
Brian Switzer
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting read.

STE, book 1: London is an anomaly in the indie zombie apocalypse universe. Not a lot of action here. It's one guy's introspective telling, in which he does a lifetime worth of thinking as he moves from one abandoned place to another, trying to hunker down and survive the outbreak.

Many, many authors would fail to execute that premise, but Tayell handles it nicely- the book is very well written and the reader comes to admire the hero's craft and guile as he learns to survive
Jason Chapman
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I hate anything to do with Zombies. I think this genre is overused. Too many books about apocalyptic scenarios regarding viruses etc. However I found myself want to read something mainstream and decided to download this book for free.
I have to say for my first outing in the zombie genre I was impressed. I like the fact that it was set in the UK and although a few years old now this book has withstood the test of time. I like the fact it was written in journal format which gives the impression th
Robert Enright
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Downloaded for free and it was a surprisingly good read.

I am a fan of zombie fiction and this story really builds and ups the tension as each bit passes. Starting off with our main character stuck in his flat as the Zombie apocalypse starts, it goes from a claustrophobic story of isolation into a real struggle for survival.

The protagonist starts off as a whiny, self indulgent man but actually grows through the story into someone you really root for. Also, credit for some very smart and inventive
Joe Stamber
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-read, read-2016
This novel is mostly about a man with a broken leg sitting in his flat feeling sorry for himself and whining. Occasionally he looks out of the window at any zombies that might be milling about outside. Eventually he leaves and wanders around London, encountering the odd zombie. Most of the time he finds other places to sit in and feel sorry for himself and whine. There are a few embellishments, but that's about it. It's more about surviving the tedium than the evacuation.
Lorraine Southern
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Superb dystopian fiction :) I had my reservations as the story features just one man's battle to survive, but boring it most defo was not and nor was it a zombie horror either. It was a well written diary account of survival and the nature of mankind. I'm looking forward to book numb 2 :)
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I just could not get into this. Overly descriptive and I kept waiting for the actual plot to roll out. Possibly just not in the right frame of mind and may try this book again at another time. Others seemed to like it. I have not rated it due to not progressing far into this one.
Nollaig Kelly
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So this how it ends

Zombie outbreak

World collapsed one survivors view of the world is through his Daisy's or journal, plus he has a broken leg, making his chances of survival slimmer by the day
Mrs.H.
Feb 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Dreadfully boring. Didn’t like the main character at all . Won’t be reading any more of the series. Thankfully it was free!
Kasia
Aug 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
suckkkkssss..
Josh (Beards & Books)
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been trying to read more "indie" or lesser known authors in 2019 and this was another solid win.

Zombies - Tick
Set in the UK - Tick
Talks about a lack of Tea - Tick

Jokes aside this was a really interesting read and I'll definitely look at other books in the series now, the diary format kept it short and snappy and the I am Legend solo perspective really helped build the feeling of isolation.

We should all give lesser known authors a try, like me you might find some you love!
Cindy
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
One man's diary account of what happened right after an outbreak that turned everyone into flesh eating zombies. The outbreak started in New York but Bill is in London and has a front row view out of his house of the madness as he is homebound with a broken leg.

Some of the diary/dialog was interesting - especially if it was about the before, during and after of the outbreak. But the mundane stuff of going to the bathroom or downstairs in search of supplies got long and tedious - especially sinc
M.E. Logan
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not one for zombie novels, but I do like seeing how people will survive. The book is in the form of a journal by a man who, by bad luck, has broken his leg and cannot be evacuated from London. The fact that he survives, and how he changes, is the bulk of the story, the decisions he has to make, the survival mechanisms he has to learn.

• Outbreak
  • Rain (Undead Rain #1)
  • Black Virus (Black Rust #0.5)
  • Blood Type Infected 1: No Future For Man (Blood Type : Infected)
  • Victim Zero
  • Dead Land Volume One
  • Dead Days: The Complete Season One (Dead Days Season One #1-6)
  • Plague Wars: Infection Day: The First Trilogy: Three apocalyptic sci-fi technothriller adventures (Plague Wars Series Book 12)
  • Ash (Wheels and Zombies, #1)
  • The End of Everything (The End of Everything #1)
  • The Alpha Plague #1-8
  • The Infected (Rage Book 2)
  • Dead Hunger (Dead Hunger #1)
  • Red Eye: Season One, Episode One: An Armageddon Zombie Survival Thriller
  • The Old Man at the End of the World: No.1: Note: the apocalypse isn't really going to happen
  • The Irish Epidemic (Weep, #1)
  • Broken World (Broken World, #1)
  • Dead Quarantine (Zombieclypse Book 1)
Author of post-apocalyptic and near-future science fiction, with a focus on democracies struggling against dystopia.

For more information, or to join the mailing list, please visit; www.FrankTayell.com, facebook.com/FrankTayell, or facebook.com/TheEvacuation

Surviving The Evacuation (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Wasteland (Surviving The Evacuation #2)
  • Family (Surviving The Evacuation #3)
  • Unsafe Haven (Surviving The Evacuation #4)
  • Reunion (Surviving The Evacuation #5)
  • Harvest (Surviving The Evacuation #6)
  • Home (Surviving The Evacuation #7)
  • Anglesey (Surviving The Evacuation, #8)
  • Ireland (Surviving The Evacuation, #9)
  • The Last Candidate (Surviving The Evacuation, #10)
  • Search and Rescue (Surviving The Evacuation, #11)